Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Fusion ARF

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:12 PM
RC Larry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Fusion ARF

We'll seeya there.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
bluesago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a comment for those who have covering problems or who are holding off on buy the Fusion because of reported covering problems.

I have an all white Fusion 52. The covering is on there really well. I can't get even a fingernail grip on it anywhere.

Here's what I think might be happening. Some of the planes had their covering put on by someone who didn't have his/her iron hot enough. If this is correct and you have this problem, heat up an iron and go slowly over the places where the covering contacts the wood.

Unfortunately, if you've flown it and have glow fuel on the underside of the covering this probably won't work. So I plan to do it to mine before I fly.

Good luck

Balin
Old 05-22-2007, 05:48 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Balin, this is not the problem with mine. The covering is just not up to snuff. The puple is half the thickness of Ultracote. If that. I would still tell someone to buy the plane but buy the all solid color. These planes are just too good to let a bad batch of covering keep me from bragging on mine. When I got mine like any ARF I went over the whole thing with an iron and sock. As time goes on it just keeps loosing stripes. I am going to have to recover it this summer.

David
Old 05-25-2007, 04:38 PM
ahaynes

Well I just bought the 67" and it came in yesterday. I guess its safe to say I will have problems with the covering. Is there anything that can done to prevent it from coming off. I do not have much experience at covering so any recommendations will be appreciated. Is there any kind of clear coat or trim coat that can be applied over the stripes to help them stay attached.

Also one or two elevator servos? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks
Andy
Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Many have used trim solvent or thin ca applied over the seams. I never thought about using clear covering over the seams but that sounds like a good experiment. For the tail most have opted for the two elevator servos as this give great response, eliminates any flex between halfs, and allows independent adjustment of both halves.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Brunito
My Feedback: (10)

Guys I am puting togheter my fusion today and I have a question I did trim all the covering from the fuselage and I was trying to put the wings together and I don't know how to secure the wings togther can somebody explain how? I did see the hatch but I don't have to take tha coverring ??
Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 AM
AFSalmon

There is a bolt that runs through the center of the wings and the fuse and a blind nut on the opposing wing. Alternatively you can install a 1/4-20 nylon wing bolt into the right wing and secure with hot glue or even CA. Insert from the inside sticking out. Then install the wings and use a wing nut on the left wing under the hatch.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:13 PM
RCToon

Just ordered my Fusion 90. Hope I dont get one with the covering problem.
Another question, is a OS 60 good enough? The specs say 60-90 2 stroke, but the manual says 90. I have a OS 60 lying around and dont want to invest in another engine.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:33 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

I think you'll find it'll fly with the 60 but not enough extra for good 3D power. The .91fx is a decent 3D engine for this plane and apparently the 120ax is awesome!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Fred Dings II

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AKFIREMEDIC

You are right on with the bigger engine. Pulling out of a "bad" attitude in a hover needs some power. My friend flys his with a YS 140.
The Fusion is an impressive plane in the hands of a good 3-D pilot.

I am still in love with my U-Can-Do 46 in which I use an O.S. 91-4cycle. I do not feel it is over powered, and I fly with it on floats in the snow and water.

I don't want to get off topic here, but I would like to swap e-mails on a couple of subjects with an AK flyer.

My e-mail is [email protected]
Old 02-03-2008, 05:25 PM
phcflyer

Sorry to have to add an unhappy note to this forum. Today I was flying my 52 inch Fusion with a Saito .72 on it's 20th or so flight. It has always flown well, and has never been crashed. I did it a snap roll--and the right wing folded and fell off! End of plane! I have been building and flying for more than 15 years, and the plane was constructed and flown exactly as described in the instructions. Inspection of the remains by myself and my friends at the flying field showed that the in the right wing had failed just beyond where the wind tube ended. This plane was only a couple of months old and I'm disappointed. I hope that this was a freak accident....
Old 02-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Fred Dings II

phcflyer

I have experienced the same circumstances and the feeling of 'why the hell did this happen' ?
I had a wing fold up on a World Models Intruder which is a one piece wing. Inspecting the pieces I found that there was absolutely no glue on some of the vital parts. However, the plane flew so well for me that I ordered another and opened it up. Same deal. I had to flow epoxy around some the joints. This was the previous model Intruder. They have redesigned it.

Check yours out for improper gluing and advise A F Salmon at OMP. At any rate advise OMP so they can see if this is a recurring problem. Maybe they will ship you a replacement. It happens.

Regards, FRED
Old 02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The wing failure sounds like a manufacturing problem not a design problem. I have a a lot of time on my 52" Fusion. I have done some snaps and blenders that were a blur with no problem.

David
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Fred Dings II

davopam

I agree that the Marines have made a difference. The few the proud. Hoora!!

Sorry... off topic.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 PM
phcflyer

Hello again, Fusion folks -- especially Fred and Dave. I re-checked the broken wing on my Fusion 52 ARF, and, as you suggested, there was a real shortage of glue in the area around the end of the wing tube. I have been in touch with Mike at OMP, and have sent him photographs of the area at his request. And best of all, he has offered to replace the plane! Excellent customer service and support.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Peter
Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 AM
AFSalmon

Thanks Peter. Like I said it is hard to tell for sure "post crash" exactly what the root failure was but regardless I hate to see a Fusion die!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Fred Dings II

AFSALMON

Mike, your response to the posters in this forum has earned you, personally, some respect and for OMP/Copperhead Aviation some more friends.
I'm glad you and Copperhead Av got together, I lost touch with Tim after he moved out of Harrisburg.

Regards, FRED

Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 PM
AFSalmon

Well thanks Fred, we try to do our best.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 PM
regets ama
My Feedback: (4)

i just purchased this 52" as well and it certainly is a great looking profile airframe. i also purchased the os55 from OMP and with the current mark down on the fusion it was very affordable/and a bargain. it flies very true for me up stream, down stream, loops rolls inverted. i only added 2 degrees right thrust to the engine. i am curious if anyone has a suggestion for one hurdle i have encountered:
it knife edges right to left (left rudder) perfectly straight in slow or high speed passes. when i take it from right to left (right rudder) it comes toward me (canopy direction). any suggestion what it might be,,,,,,,only a touch of down elevator cures the flight line.
as mentioned, it flies and track straight in up and down lines and just a dash of forward stick for inverted flight.
my CG is not totally all the way back to the suggested limitation/range. it hovers great once i remembered how 2 strokes lag.
i am also not able to get a flat spin that my OMP Boxxer manages.

thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:53 PM
AFSalmon

The Fusions won't flat spin as well as a short bipe. There is a trade off to every design. As far as KE it sounds like you are very close on setup. Honestly if you are only putting in minor corrections you might be right on. There are a ton of variables like balance in all three axis, engine thrust, aileron incidence, etc. It could be a combination of three things like engine thrust angle, rudder trim, and aileron differential. COuld be all trimmed in one direction but not the other. Take a look at the neutral position of each surface once you have the plane trimmed in level flight. Make sure you have trimmed the rudder with up and down lines as well. Once you land and check the surfaces, anything off center would indicate a balance or motor angle issue.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Fred Dings II

regets ama

Mike gave you some good advice. I would follow Mike's instructions and if still a problem, use a program mix of right rudder to elevator in 2 degree increments.

If you don't have a radio that will do that, I can sell you a used Futaba 9ZAP with all the bells and whistles.