Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Why wait? Use the good tx now. It'll fly all the other planes you have that are FM.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all,

Great posts lately, I've been reading them but have not been able to post myself. My job has taken me out of town and I will be in Cape Canaveral until Saturday evening.
Glad you all had an enjoyable holiday on the big day we give tribute to OUR Vets. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Brent, Howard and Kyle you guys ROCK. Thanks for bringing it to us…[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Captian, soon I’ll be getting your AMA disc from RayRay. I will definitely kick back and view it with a drink in hand (a Pappy hour tribute). I too will get a SS as my next plane… I’m crossing my fingers and hopping it appears on Fathers Day. I decided it would be my next plane back when Howard did the SS ballet.

My dad and I got to go fly last Saturday. He got to maiden his Badius! He did get some airtime in and went through a few props as well. It went better than my first time out. I got in two good long flights with the 480 Badius no damage of any kind. When I tossed my Cub it tumbled right off and broke off the landing gear. [>:] Man it is spooky to see a foam plane when it breaks… I did get it glued back and you can hardly tell.

I again snuck out early Sunday to fly but did not have a good day. Another major crash with my 480 Badius after only 90 seconds of airtime. Ouch! Bent the fuse like before and this time my Rx took a hit.[:@] The case bent and I found the crystal damaged but the Rx lives on.. I was about to give the Cub a try and noticed the rear of the fuse cracked at the tail so it went back in the car. This I must have overlooked from the day before.

I now have the brushless motor, ESC and Lipos that Doc recommended as a Badius upgrade. They are waiting for me to return and I’ll start installing them Sunday evening… [sm=sunsmiley.gif]This is going to be fun and I can’t wait to try this setup.

Can you guys steer me in the right direction as to what I should do with the lipos so I don’t damage them. I have just discovered that my charger, that claimed it would charge Lipos, is not suited for them. This is the charger I have. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2395447
I really don’t want to invest in another high end charger, but I don’t want to trash the new lipos I just got either..

Lou, Great Emails… nothing like seafood on a grill and a drink in hand…

I’ll have to follow up sometime Sunday. Thanks as always!
Old 06-01-2005, 09:13 PM

Hi Carl. That charger you have is supposed to do lipos. Email that guy on the link you posted and find out the details. Is it just the connector on the charger or is it something else?
Old 06-01-2005, 09:37 PM

Hi Lou,

The connectors are not a problem. One output has banana jacks and the other output is a large male taymia that I could replace if needed.

This is a peak charger that can terminate a charge when a 5mV peak threshold is detected. The statement below suggest this is not antiquate and very risky
I also can't stipulate a fixed or maximum charging voltage though many other options are available.

Did you see this part of the post?

LITHIUM BATTERIES DO NOT HAVE A PEAK, IF THE CHARGE IS NOT TERMINATED THE
VOLTAGE JUST KEEPS RISING UNTIL THE BATTERY SELF DESTRUCTS IN MANNER THAT
COULD CAUSE A FIRE. IF THE USER DOES NOT CORRECTLY ESTIMATE THE AMOUNT OF
CAPACITY REMAINING IN THE BATTERY AT THE BEGINNING OF CHARGE OR THE CAPACITY
HAS DIMINISHED WITH USE, A SERIOUS AND HAZARDOUS SITUATION WILL EXIST.

Red S.
The Battery Clinic
www.rcbatteryclinic.com
Old 06-01-2005, 09:46 PM

Holy Cow Carl. I just finished reading a bunch of the post and went to the web page selling it. Yikes! and Gadzooks!! Me thinketh the charger isn't good for lipos tho you knew that. No way to return it like some others have done? Just curious but where and when did you get it?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 PM

I just found the purchase info.

It is from a Ebay Store that is still selling them. The add also still list that it Charges NiCd, NiMH, Li & Pb batteries.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...22121&tc=photo

I will request a return and see what happens.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:43 PM
My Feedback: (3)

well i had a messed about morning, which had no wind but firstly someone had asked me to do a 5min English lesson at my son's kindergarden and said to come at 10 am, wereas i wasn't needed until 11.30 (came home at 10.01am pretty angry as i could have gone flying). got home and found one of my fish had a stone stuck in it's mouth which required more time, so i couldn't event tinker about with my fleet. i put a s400 motor in the epp split pylon racer yesterday and it wouldn't run with a 2 or 3 cell bat properly, so that plane's going to be stripped of electrics and put in the loft. another non flyer. got my aerobird extreme 1.4m wing and decided it's going on another brushless badius. using a hyperion 30 turn outrunner and a 8x4 folder, it should be an excellent glider / thermaller. need more badius fuses. going to build it next week. don't know if i'll go flying this afternoon, probably.

hey Carlf, definately don't take chances with lipos. get a tritron or this hyperion charger if you want to do nicads/nimh as well http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3001, or the astro flight charger at hobby lobby is also good, but it only does lipos. all over $120, but worth investing in if you will stick with this hobby. also need a 12 power supply, which is cheap in the US, about $20 - i'd recommend something over 7 amps output - plenty of places do them on the web. really expensive shipping to me, twice the price of the power supply, as they are quite heavy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66124.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	279333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64669.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	279334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85610.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	279335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37088.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	279336  
Old 06-01-2005, 10:58 PM

Old 06-02-2005, 08:02 PM

Hey All

Well I went out tonight to fulfill a commitment I made to the local Historical Society ( I told them I would photo the area and forward the images to them).

These pictures were taken with the Aiptek 1.3 meg cam with the flip flop mod, mounted to the Magpie AP. I was surprised when I got home to find I got as many good shots as I did (remember, I am 200 feet up between 200 to 600 feet away), I enhanced the photos using the FREE Picasa 2 as well as sharpened them.

Anyways I hope you like

Brent

ps. I got greater than 60% usable pictures, NOW what one do I send[sm=confused.gif] Hee Hee Hee

Name:	Hf99314.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	279658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24469.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	279659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65914.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	279660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65724.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	279661  
Old 06-02-2005, 08:21 PM

Doc, Thanks this suites me just fine. I may try (with your help) to build two of them. I believe that would allow me to charge a lipo on each of the two outputs of my charger. Brent, I could ask you lots of questions but to keep from getting to far of the subject I rather you just lay out what I need and should do to get started. Then I'll ask you anything I need to ok.

I have a GREAT local surplus shop for getting parts to build most anything.

Thanks again
Old 06-02-2005, 08:56 PM

Carl

OK, you need to buy this https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.htm?body=Store
It is for the 2 cell lipos, they also sell 3 cell cut offs too (I will have to buy a few, I getting into 3 cell stuff).

As far as the resisters go, PM me your address, I’ll forward you the resisters you need ( I only want shipping cost), you’ll need some electrical tape and some clips ( to attach to your car battery).

That’s it, under $20 per charger (I am willing to forward the resisters for 2 chargers).

Let me know, the picture in my last post should give you an idea how it goes together.

Brent
Old 06-02-2005, 09:13 PM

typical, no wind yesterday, but i was busy and today, the last day of my 'holiday' it's bloody windy. so i went out beer shopping. apart from japanese beer, i got some French Trappist monk beer, Mexican, Indian, Italian and guess what ENGLISH WARM BEER. Boddingtons ale, from Manchester. sorry, but i've got to go and have 'breakfast' !!!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Hey Hollywood, couldn't he just attach that cutoff to the charger he has? It is a peak charger and that is all he needs along with that safety.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 PM

Dougy,

The Aerobird wings on the AB looks "BOSS". How did you attach them?

P.S. Sorry about the beer.

Tailwind
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM

Sticks

It depends on the charger, my NiCad chager would pump 4 amps in to my lipos, my car battery would pump about the same ( internal lipo resistance).

Now if he had a peak charger that the current was adjustable, then, adjust the current and no need for resisters. As long as that charger could be used in the car, GREAT.

BUT if the charger couldn't be used in the car and had to rely on the car battery only, then the resisters are needed.

OOHH how did you like the videos?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:31 PM

hey RayRay, the aerobird extreme wing is quite this and i'm just trying to sort out how to attach it. i think i'll have to use elastic bands along with 3 screws. anyone who's made wooden dowls to attach the badius wing, did you re-enforce the fus where the wooden dowls go thru to prevent it from ripping ? if so how ?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:21 AM

Ok Ok Ok

I Told RayRay I would host his video SSOO here we GGGOOO http://www.aerialstudios.net/rr.wmv

Enjoy ALL
Old 06-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Thanks Doc.

Hold on to your seats fellas, the flight gets a little rough.

Tailwind
Old 06-03-2005, 12:27 AM

Take it easy Tailwind. It's just a mirror.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:34 AM

Thanks Brent and RayRay
Old 06-03-2005, 01:02 AM

hey RayRay, great flight. most people get sick doing some aerobatics, but you seem to be a natural. after you've got your pilots licence and about 100 hours p1 (pilot in command), you'll be ready to start learning them yourself. it's great flying and adds to pilot skill and therefore safety !!
Old 06-03-2005, 08:36 AM

Doc & Sticks,

My charger is a peak charger. It also has 2 outputs. The charge rate is selectable in increments of 0.1 amps *****g at 4.5amps for each output. It has an adapter for the cig lighter in my auto and an AC power supply came with it too. Doc, I got the Dymond 1350mAh 7.4v 10c lipos as you recommended. I would use a 1.3 amp charge rate(1C), Correct?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:26 AM

carlf

With that type of charger you are ALL SET, Just buy the https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.htm?body=Store and that charger is now Lipo friendly.

Because you can adjust the charging current with that peak charger, there is no need for resistors (Sticks was correct).

You are correct, charge that lipo @ 1.35 amps (1C).

Have fun

Brent
Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 PM

i managed to sort out attaching the aerobird extreme 1.4m wing to the badius. i put the standard plastic wing top and bottom holder on (the things stat the screws go thru to attach the wing to the fus) and used the 3 screws to attach the wing to the fus. as the extreme's wing is much thicker than the badius's, the plastic things stick up at the top so the two dowls wont go thru the fus. so i used an old one with no dowls left. this is a bit ugly so i may remove it later, but it does add some strength to the wing attachment. went to the local hardware store and came back with a 6mm steel cylinder. perfect for rubber band dowls. i was a bit worried about putting dowls thru the fus as the badius fus is so flimsy, but punching holes thru the fus with a screwdriver left a lip around the hole and this seems strong enough for 6 rubber bands to hold the wing down - no sign or ripping and the wing is secure, on the ground at least. will have to flight test it to be sure, but if the fus rips, i'll do what Carlf (?) did and use wood or metal plates down the side of the fus. decided to call this plane the badius super soarer as it should be superb at gliding. getting the motor tomorrow and will assemble the rest next week probably. watch this space for the flight test !!

Name:	Us53925.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	279877  
Old 06-03-2005, 01:06 PM

Sorry, Hollywood! With the computer problems I have been having, I missed the videos completely! I just saw them! They were great! Your ready for more acrobatics!

Kyle, [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]. That was absolutely fabulous camera work!!!!!!!! Not many people have a skill like that with a camera. Seriously!

I now have the Stryker fuse, tail fins and have been told the rest of the stuff is on the way! Looking forward to it!

The Sopwith Camel should be here Monday. It will be my Stearman replacement for now. I couldn't pass up the $19 price tag! 40 inch wing span.

I have so many things going on now that I will have trouble getting to fly any of them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.