Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:46 PM
churchill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!

Gents,

Aerobird Extremeon sale at Hobby Town - Cumming GA for $142.00
Old 01-28-2007, 09:04 PM
gditeam

what does that have to do with aerobird mods?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:02 AM
WattAcrash

I'm in need of the original board parts namley servos. Shoot me an email and let me know the cost.

Thanks

[email protected]

Old 07-25-2007, 03:00 AM
johnpcunningham

I've got a few good working boards - what channel and where to send.

JC
Old 08-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Davey2C

Hi People,

I've been flying my Aerobird Extreme for a few years. After having a go with my friend little plane, if you can call it a plane, no control surfaces and only uses 2 engines to turn and climb, I moved onto this Extreme to learn to fly, which if your very careful, taking one step at a time can be easily done without having to get numerous bodies (only one wing and two tailplanes!). I've had problems with the electronics a couple of times, both times it was sent back to where I bought it (sussex model centre) and fixed for free, which is very good. But I've grown a little board of this aircraft now and I'm wanting to do a major, but cheap redesign.........

I wondered if other people find that wing placement is too high for this aircraft, as it doesn't want to roll very well in Pro mode? I know that you can do the tail modification to help the roll, but I fancied a complete change; might even do the tail mod first and then later on, do my mod.

My idea of a mod was to get rid of the body, place the electronics in a small square ice cream style tub (or platic take away tub) which would be slung under the wing and have two shortened tail booms coming out of the wing to a elongated U tailplane (sort of a \___/ shape). The motor and prop would be at the rear of the icecream tub with the motor protruding between the tail booms. This should hopefully reduce weight and drag and decrease the height of the wing, which would help with the roll but could also make it too unstable in the roll.

Anyone have any possible ideas regarding this? I would obviously try and maintain the C of G and MAC % when doing this Mod?

Regards

Davey2C
Old 08-10-2007, 06:58 PM
gditeam

I have done a tail mod which a video can be found here [link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=PVm2qHjTDJg]aerobird extreme pro tail mod[/link] I think this will give you as much roll as you will ever need. I have done inverted, barrel rolls and many other weird and crazy movements that should not be done by this style of bird.

After enough issues with that damn fishing line setup and the electronic malfunctions that ended up crashing me too much, I have my 2 extreme birds just sitting in my garage not doing a thing anymore. Maybe I will put standard electronics into it and a proper pushrod system but who knows.

It is a quick bird for its size and flies very nice IF everything works on it how it needs to.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump for my future lurking........... lotta good info on this thread!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Supermycy

Guys,
I currently fly, supercub, firebird freedom, stryker, aerobird swift and p51 (can you tell I like the hobbyzone / parkzone products. I fly most on an upgraded 9.6v 8 cell battery as they have the 480 motor. All go brilliantly. my question to you is, is it possible to fly the aerobird extreme using the 8.4v hobbyzone or 9.6v batteries with the stoxck set up, if so then I will invest !!!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 AM
johnpcunningham

Yes you can. The Xtreme Electronics are the same as the Aerobird challenger. I created a Y-spliter and run two batteries at the same time. Either 7.2 or 8.4.. Just pack them in the nose. Wieght has a slight effect but nothing off the chart.

JC
Old 11-08-2007, 09:51 PM
akouzmit

This is not the answer for your question, but some other way to do "Extream" things

I did the next modifications for Aerobird Extream:

1) 233g stock motor has been replaced with 106g Axi 2814/16 motor with twice the power.

2) 309g block of NiCd accumulators (7.2V / 1700mAh) replaced with 145g Tunder Power 3S 2100mAh 12V LiPo.

=>> Overall weight savings from 1) and 2) is 291g.

3) Origional Aerobird receiver replaced with:

1- FUTABA 4 ch. FM receiver;
2-Simprop V-Tail mixer;
3-2x FUTABA micro-Servos;

=>> The weight saving from the origional receiver board replacement is 32g.

4) "How High" altitude meter has been added (5g total) and custom modified prop.

5) To control this advanced setup the tail has been converted into pro-tail for "sharper" responce.

=>> The total weight savings is about 320g, which look very prommising to set up ~280g HD Video Camera for aerial photography voyages.

Please, see photos below:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76619.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	799723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68022.jpg
Views:	113
ID:	799724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61185.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	799725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39914.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	799726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29936.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	799727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fv25523.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	799728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs27403.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	799729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy82626.jpg
Views:	152
ID:	799730  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt27350.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	799731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re34083.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	799732  
Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 AM
robertdownes25

How have you fitted the motor? I was thinking about putting a brushless in one but can't figure how to mount the motor. Standard 480 replacement brushless way smaller than stock Extreme one?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:45 AM
mrgarbay

hi guys, i know its a no no to discuss of the topic products, but i hav an areobird 3, similar to the extreme, do most of these mods apply to the areobird 3 also? and can i use my 9 cell battery from a parkzone p-51 in my areobird? i tired it and the motor was running at double the speed!!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 PM
akouzmit

For Aerobird-3 modification take a look here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6376580/tm.htm

Video clip: Aerobird-3 is carrying tiny camcorder: http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/FVX86NFW7N6420TB

Please, also check out this tread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6788615/tm.htm
to see more info on Aerobird Extreame modification.

Andrew.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 AM
johnpcunningham

I've run the 10.8 (9 cell) , amd 9.6 volte NiMH batteies in the Aerobird 3 and the Challenger with never a problem. The 11.1 volt Lipo will burn out your circuit board or at least it has mine. When lots of current is being pulled from the batteries, Lipo batteries do not "sag" its voltage as much as NiMh.

JC
Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
supermp

Then why do aerobird have the ability to program the cut-off voltage of 9.0volts for 11.1volts lipo?

Would going to a smaller pitch propeller do the trick?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 AM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Fellas, tell what you think of my recent radio mod to one of my 2 Xtremes.  I just installed a 2.4ghz receiver (6100e) and am using a 20A brushed ESC with the stock motor and 2 Towerpro SG50 servos (new mounting board too).  I also installed contol rods and will upgrade the control horns on the stock tail to take the slop out back there.  All is working well with my DX6i transmitter but, I haven't flown it yet.  Since I have an ESC that I know will handle 3s LIPOs, I plan to use a 2200mah 20C pack.  I've done a few short static test runs this evening and the power increase is amazing.  I'm anxious to fly it to see the performance difference. 
I realize that a 4 volt jump is pretty drastic for the stock motor but, all appears to be running fine.  The motor shouldn't draw anymore current with this battery than it did with the stock NICAD or NIMH packs so, I think it will run fine for a while if I take it easy.  My flying style should help motor longevity as I'm a floater, not a hot rodder.  The extra power should help the climb rate and once I reach altitude I throttle back and look for thermals.  This bird does soar well.
I had to add weight to get the CG back with-in limits and the airplane feels lighter over all.  If true, it should help performance all around.  I have the CG set for 2.5" back from the leading edge as recommended and the first flight will tell me if I added enough weight.
So, is this a disaster waiting to happen or do you guys think the motor will hold up for a while if I'm careful with it?  If the motor dies it will give me an excuse to go brushless and I already have a 50 amp ESC waiting for it. 
I'm thinking someone out there has already done this so, please give me the benefit of your experience and tell me if I should have a fire extinguisher standing by when I fly this the plane in this configuration. 

Old 06-06-2009, 12:58 PM
rowdyjoe

To Whom It May Concern,
Well, Ican definately tell you that a 20amp brushedESC is not enough for a 3s 2200mah LIPO. All went well, with plenty of power and a great flight, for about 3 min. Then I lost control of the airplane and it crashed. Upon inspection, Idiscovered that the ESC had fried ....big time ...burnt pieces everywhere. Ihad motor control all the way to the ground but, not servos. Idon't know how it pulled out of the death dive at 5 feet but, it did and it saved the airplane. The wing came off but, there was no damage to anything else.
I've ordered a 30 amp brushed ESC that is 3s LIPOcompatible and will try again. If that doesn't work I'll install a brushless motor ....just need to figure out which one.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:00 PM
rowdyjoe

The saga continues .....
Ibought and installed the 30amp brushed ESC andagain had gobs of power. This flight lasted about 10 min. thistime, most of it spent tooling around at about25% to 30%power.Ifound a strong thermal and climbed up to over 400 feet...didn't need the motor for this one ...verystrong. However, while trying to bring it down it went into a spin and I could not recover. As it neared the ground I could hear the motor running although the throttle was shut all the way off.It powered into the ground with a sickening thud.
This time it crashed in someone's backyard missing their pool by about 8 feet. I could see it through the spaces between the boards in their fence. Theirbackyard is adjacent to thepark. I drove around to the front of the house but, no one was home.I left a note with my name and number but, have not had a call yet.
It was very windy today but, themodifiedbird handled the wind well until Ilost control. Ihad flown one of my stock birds earlier and it did "ok"in the wind but, it needed more powerfor these conditions.
I won't be able todiscover what happened until Iinspect the wreckage but, I suspect the tail control linkage. More to come later ....hopefully.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
rowdyjoe

...cont'd
I retrieved the bird yesterday and completely disassembled it down to bare and empty. I couldn'tidentify the specificproblem but, I still suspect the control linkage slipped on one elevon. I plan to resolve that issue by using metal clevises on the ends of the push rods. I've soldered them on one of my birds already and it makes the linkage much easier to adjust ....and there is no slippage.
I was surprised to find that all of the electronics still work with the exception of my 3s LIPO ....dead as a door nail. No signs of anything overheating, motor still works fine, etc. ....the majic blue smoke is still in there. Ihave straightened the fuselage using a hair dryer and various tools to push the plastic back into shape. The tail boom and tail "feathers"are fine ...no damage however, the wing took some real punishment and may not be repairable. Ihaven't inspected it for repair yet. (this bird gets uglier every week ).Good thing Ihave two new spare wingsand a source for a 3rd one.
I used cotton loose weaved cloth soaked in 6 minute epoxy to re-inforce the split seam in the bottom of the fuselage and it appears to be holding well. The next hard landing will bethe test for this cheap andlight weightrepair.
I've decided to leave the landing gear completely off this bird. It just gets in the way on landing andadd****g.
I should have it flying again in about a week. I needto fabricate a new electronicsmounting board and may order a coroplast tail for it ...altough the stock tail is holding upvery well (so far).
Old 02-28-2018, 05:24 AM
Creative RC

Default Success at Last: Anhedral Wings for Aerobird Xtreme

Flew it today and these modifications were a complete success. After all these years the long extinct Areobird Xtreme finally earned its name. The 12 degree sweep on each wing was to allow this electronically modified plane to balance without adding weight. That alone worked but did not resolve the awful flying characteristics of this plane.

Anhedral, 9 degrees on each wing is what was need all along and it looks like an Ox but flies now flies like a bird. All the flying problems, such as rocking hard back to neutral, with pendulum effect that gave it unwanted turns, dips and dragging its tail, disappeared. It held its turn, tracked nicely and when the stick was released it gradually returns to level. It was a beauty to behold. What was the worst plane I have flown became a good three channel park flyer. I could barely believe what I was seeing. I will glue in specially cut plywood spars to make the modification permanent.

Flying it with a Thunder Tigre .10 motor mounted outside the fuselage bringing the prop further back, 30 Amp e-flite ESC, and using 1500 and 2200 mah Batteries. No issues with CG.

The plane was so proud that it glowed yellow in the snow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Anhedral 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2256471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anhedral 3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2256472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anhedral 4.jpg
Views:	59