Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Big Bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AEROBIRD EXTREME MODS!

One other wing mod that worked. That painting I did on a blank wing bought from the hobby store. My stock decaled wing I use only for night flying with the light module on the bottom. I put chrome mylar type self adhesive on the bottom of that wing so that the light really reflects off of it up in the dark sky. Mighty cool.

BB
Old 10-06-2005, 09:58 AM
critterhunter

I built my own 3300ma packs. At batteryspace.com I got two 10 packs of 3300ma cells with solder tabs for like $50. Made two 7 cell packs and one 6 cell pack out of them. You can't beat the price and they work great. Flight times are MUCH longer and the extra horsepower was enough to fold the stock wing where the rod ends. I now have a longer rod in the wing. I make my tails out of coruplast and they work better than stock. I also glue a carbon rod across the tail from tip to tip to prevent folds and the flat syndrome. I converted over to standard electronics and am using a 50 amp speed control (stock motor draws about 20 amps) and a JR 6 channel RX along with HS81 servos. I simply took the stock plastic board "stand" that the original board mounted on and cut a piece of aluminum to the same size as the stock board. I then mounted this onto the stand with the servos/speed control/rx in roughly the same position on the board as the stock parts. I switched over to (I think .42) piano wire to replace the fishing line, and am using Dubro horns and mini Dubro Mini EZ connects to hitch the wire to the servos/horns. MUCH less slop than stock. The size wire I used was just able to fit the holes in the EZ links. I also use two zip ties for the motor mount and one around the tail boom in the body. For added strength I put another wing rubbermount peg through the body and tight over the top of the circuit board. The tail is mostly to stock dimensions but with slightly bigger flap areas. This, along with the rod across the tail tips (to lesson flex) can give me several seconds of inverted flight.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Big Bird

Thanks for the tip about the batteries. Batteryspace.com not only has the loose cells you can build your own packs but also an already-made 7.2 volt 3300 MaH pack just for the Aerobird Extreme that I've been looking for.

Thanks again for the tip.

BB
Old 10-08-2005, 11:42 AM
erauskydiver

When putting a Stryker motor in an ABC, should I solder it, or should I use the connectors that came attached to the new Stryker motor?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:58 AM
tims880

I soldered the wires to the motor.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:21 PM
erauskydiver

Well, I decided to desolder the existing ABC motor from the wires that go to the board, and then I just stripped the wires that were left on the board and slid them into the connectors on the Stryker motor. I figured the extra wire weight was worth the ease of reinstallation (and later removals) since I'm a modification rookie. I test the motor after installation and it ran fine. I'm interested to see what the change in peformance will be. Do I need to do anything to account for CG shifts? I'm thinking that the weight of the 7-cell battery should offset the added weight of the Stryker motor. Is this a safe assumption?

Oh, and I also added the obligatory zip ties behind the motor to protect the board. Though, I rarely crash this aircraft anymore. Now I'm thinking of adding fish line "struts" to the wings to prevent bending.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Big Bird

One more mod I forgot to mention. When I was learning to fly and doing a lot of cartwheels, every time I did one the wing hit the prop and took a big chunk out of it. I got some of that non-slip rubber mat stuff from an RV place (it's the same stuff you put under your rugs on smooth floors to keep them from slipping - available where oriental etc. rugs are sold) and glued it to the top of the fuselage where the wing sits on it. The wing doesn't budge now nor hit the prop any more.

BB
Old 10-10-2005, 04:44 PM
whiteghostUK

Posted this a long time ago not my mod but no longer on hobbyzone web site !!!

[link=http://www.joehall.btinternet.co.uk/XtremeTailmod2.jpg]extreme tail mod full[/link]

Have a look here : www.rcplanecrashclub.com for the PROCRASTINATOR'S Video collection !!!

watch the extreme mod in action !!!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
erauskydiver

I did that mod on my ABC. I love it! You can do barrell rolls with it. (At high altitudes)
Old 10-11-2005, 04:24 PM
GAGE308
My Feedback: (4)

Anyone have a MOD...or an IDEA of a FULL ELECTRIC SYS. Replacement for the hobbyzone planes..Like a Brand that would MAke a replacement for them...Specifically the AEROBIRD EXTREME?...I Now Own 5 Hobbyzone Birds 2 scouts, 1 commander 2, and 2 aerobird extremes..and a few parkzone planes..ALL But the challenger in the hobbyzone line has had this PHANTOM electrical Junk happen to it....and its GETTING OLD...I mean I shouldnt expect TOO MUCH out of these cheap transmitters and stuff...But C'MON...AT LEAST Hobbyzone Should Allow its Good customers to Purchase a new Board and Motor without having to Throw down for a WHOLE NEW FUSELAGE...it SUCKS actually....My Aerobird has never had a serious wreck.....Just belly landings...NO BODY DAMAGE. AT ALL...NOTHING That Should lead to The Black Power cable UNSOLDERING Itself......Now Ive Emailed Hobbyzone.,..and Im thinking they will possibly say...Just send us the fuse...But...Ive DONE SO MUCH TO IT...Cut Sheet metal to put over the back of the motor mount to protect it...and about half a dozen other mods...and to be Honest...Its Not a replacement I want...I want a CHANGE/....I LOVE THE aerobird extreme...I just LOVE THE way it flies..and I like the fact its heavy...and somewhat Sturdy...I just HATE THe proprietory electronic system...Who wants to REPLACE Basically their whole plane UNHARMED just to get another one with the same old crappy electronics aboard....OK.I DID Make a conversion with my firebird commander 2...I used the bad circuit board and Gutted everything off of it...Then mounted new Parkzone servos in it...and a J-3 cub reciever...Switched the jupers around and VOILA I had the sevos operating in a V tail mix...It works Great...I just Think If one of these companies out there would make a CONVERSION Kit and new control sys. for these birds....It would sell BIG..I guess Ive Rambled enough here....Anyone have any ideas...Please tell.
Donnie
Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 AM
tims880

I know how you feel. My first up grade to my challenger was a zagi reversed timed 400 motor. Burnt up after just a few flights. My buddies and I have 3 challengers, 3 extremes, 1 commander and 2 crashed strykers. We have not experienced any electronic glitches at all. My challenger esc is on the third fuse and still functions just fine. I bought defective fuses off ebay. But there is a guy on ebay who sells a ton of defective hobbyzone parts. So this seems to be a real problem. I think hobbyzone needs to step up their quailty control, before they lose too many customers.
On the other hand its not just hobbyzone. I read a few different forums and other manufactuers have the same problems!
I have read many many times where people have got free replacement planes frome hz so they must be aware of the problems. What I dont understand is....FIX it!
Old 10-12-2005, 05:15 PM
GAGE308

Well I Hate to sound like My Dad...The problem Lies VERY Much with the fact that the companies are competing with one another to get the Cheaper Bottom line of a product out there. Which almost always means having the Big Factory In China with a coupld of dozen 12 year old boys doing all the soldering...LOL...Maybe thats it...Maybe if they Just BEAT THEM A Little Harder the circuit boards wont be so.....LOL....Ok Im Sorry That was Bad...But Possible true..I Guess Im just going to continue to Gripe and complain to HZ and see where that Gets me. If The fact That I Have Purchased over Half a dozen Of their RTF Planes in the last 2 months Doesnt earn me the right to get a circuit board shipped out...I guess I'll Just have to order a few fuses.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:26 PM
tims880

It appears to me that hz must listen. Look what they did with the f27b! Maybe if we keep this thread going we can get an extreme with control rods instead of fishing line, and replacement cicuit boards!
Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 PM
GAGE308

Well I Know there are a few of their Employees that post on rc universe...I DID Say In Myemail that A LOT of people on the boards have the same prob. Oh BTW I JUST Got One of my replies back from HZ. They want me to Pack up the kit and send it in....I Knew that was going to happen #1 I dont have either of the extremes boxes or packing anymore,,,#2 I have made a TON of Mods to the One fuse....All Kinds of Protective features for when I Kiss the ground too hard one day.....I Told The Guy That the Inconvenience of The Time and Cost to ship this all back...Outweighs reason...I'd much rather Bite the bullet and order a new fuse Have it shipped next or 2nd day air in time for the weekend Rather than Get involved in that process when All it would take would be simply ordering a new board ....Im Trying DESPERATELY to find some standard electronics to put in it. Im Thinking of using the BAD BOARD Simply as a MOUNT for the servos and Outfitting the aerobird with new electronics....I Did this with my commander and a Parkzone cub reciever....I Really think Things would mesh a lot better if I Could get some help picking out a transmitter and rec with v-tail mixing technology...and GETERBUILT!....Thanks for the response Guys.
Donnie
Old 10-12-2005, 07:32 PM
erauskydiver

Apparently, the new Firebird Freedom will have pushrods. It will be interesting to see how they have that set up since that is a pod and boom airplane.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:10 AM
tims880

Thats why I buy defective planes on ebay. I just need a new fuse. You cant get just a fuse only for the challenger like you can the old commander and extreme. You have buy one with esc.[&o] My buddies and I do combat so I do crash from time to time. I have the esc zipped tied in place so it wont substain any damage, but the fuse well thats a different story.
Just read the lipo thread....hmmm! 60 minutes of flying with 1 battery!
Old 10-13-2005, 08:55 AM
critterhunter

If you want to convert the Extreme or Challenger over to standard parts search in this forum for a thread called "Converting the Extreme to standard electronics", or something similar. I just converted mine over. I used the stock plastic board mount and cut aluminum to match the same size as the stock board. I then installed a 50 amp speed control (motor consumes about 20amps I think), a JR RX, and two Hitec HS81 servos. Mounted the servos in the same orientation on the board as the stock ones. I also used Dubro horns and Dubro Micro EZ Links...then bought piano wire (.42 I think...any bigger and it won't fit into the Micro EZ Link holes) to replace the fishing line. You want piano wire that isn't too thick, yet strong enough not to flex a lot with control inputs. I also used some doll rods as extra board support to avoid flex with movement on the board. I'm using the new and really cheap priced JR SX600 sport computer radio which works great for the brushless F27 stryker or the Extreme...and features delta wing, V Tail, and other mix modes.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:13 PM
GAGE308

Critterhunter
Cool.....Cool...Cool...Im starting to price it out now...Now would your controls still control the Extremes motor...Just asking because I have 7 of those motors brabd new unopened(dont ask)...LOL.....just curious...for what youve got wrapped up...what do you think you have $$$ wise win the standard setup,?
Thanks
Donnie
Old 10-14-2005, 08:29 AM
critterhunter

I think the stock motor draws around 20 amps but it's always better to have more than you need in an ESC...so I bought an E-Flite 50 amp speed control which ran around $30 I think. The JR 6 channel RX came with the JR SX600 Sport radio and ran around $149. The radio also came with four servos but they are much too big for most electric planes. I picked up two Hitec HS81 servos at about $17 a piece. They are the exact same size as the stock servos and work well on the Stryker too. For the Stryker I picked up the JR 6 channel sport RX (even smaller and lighter than the one that came with the radio) and two more HS81 servos. I'm powering the Stryker with the Balsa Products BP21 brushless motor and the BP30 amp speed control for about $54 total and am running it on lipos. This setup would also fit nice into a Challenger. For the Extreme the stock motor is fine. If you want more power reverse time it. For those worried about X-port compatability there is a hack on RC-CAM's website to use the modules with standard electronics.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:28 PM
GAGE308

cool Critter.
..Im Beginning to figure it all out now...Now this is a TOTALY NEWBIE Question...But as I AM a Newbie to the standard electronics ...I'll Ask...Does the rx have a special connection on it that the speed controller plugs into?...or is it the same thing that the servos plug into...Sorry for such an Obvious question...But Im Looking up the basics involving the electronics as I have time...Oh.,...and with the setup you have...does the v tail operate like the stock extreme does in PRO MODE.?....like for turns...one flap goes up and one goes down...instead of just a single flap going up for a turn...I think that the Pro mode is the only REAL way to operate the extreme...Thanks for your patience.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:14 AM
critterhunter

The ESC plugs into the port marked "throttle" on the RX. The two servos plug into the aerleon and elevator ports I think. Wierd thing is I had to use the "Delta Wing" mode on the computer radio instead of V-tail for both the Stryker and Extreme. Yes, in this mode one flap goes up and one down. This radio also has dual rates so now you can set the Extreme and Stryker for mild or wild flap movement. This plane battery plugs into the ESC and then the ESC plugs into the RX...providing power to the RX and servos. Then you have to other wires on the ESC that of course go to the motor. This radio is a brand new line from JR and for a 6 channel computer radio with it's features at around $150 it's a great deal. Radio also comes with it's own charge pack and charger so no more buying AAs. If you buy this radio and need help learning it just let me know.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:51 PM
RedBullVegas

I to have a mod for the ABC and the ABX (soon to follow) instead of the straight edge cuts of the tail that guy sells on ebay, I have someone cutting them out digitally. Also I have them cut in the "pro-tail" and the extended comtrol surface version. I prefer the Stock control horns from HZ as well. Email me or post if you have any questions or are interested.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:32 PM
GAGE308

COOl...I made a TAil wing for my firebird,challenger,j3 cub SCRAP PLANE by simply tracing the AEROBIRD CHALLENGER wing and actually extending the back of it 1"...used styrofoam board from wal mart...as well as the boom..- a black graphite Arrow from the sporting goods section...I actually made the boom extra long just to do it 25"..the fuse and tail wing are painted Purple and get this...it FLIES GREAT...as soon as I throw a coat of clear on it, i'll take a pick and put it up...I guess I can call it the Scrapobird cubchallenger...LOL>.actually its just the replacement reciever for my cub...(upon experimenting FOund that it was v-tail mix capable with simple removement of one jumper)...anyway...Just went to hobbytown today and picked up the TRansmitter and flight pack to beging converting My aerobird challenger into my perfect ideal plane (jr sx600 6 channel..flight pack....micro servos and an e-flight 30 amp speed control w/brake...I will let you all know how it works.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:47 PM
GAGE308

CRITTER-
I didnt see your post the last time...JUst to let you know...JUST TODAY...I am the owner of an sx600...Ive got the Micro sized servos and I got an Eflight 30 amp esc...So...I am actually taking a break right now from all the mad carving and gluing and yelling and taping...LOL....anyway...I'll keep you updated as to my progress...Oh I just ordered a GWS Slow stick for $35..and a gws esc for $12....I figure I'll get a fairly inexpensive rx for it and program that into my tx too...once I figure it all out .
Thanks for the help
DV
Old 10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
GAGE308

This radio also has dual rates so now you can set the Extreme and Stryker for mild or wild flap movement.

Just curious Critter...which switch controls the dual rate?...Im sure I'll find iot in the manual but I havent found anything on it So far. Oh and Ive also been looking for the approximate time of use you will have in a full charge for the TX(sx600) Iknow this will vary, but Im just looking for an average...I have no probs charging things....But If its not needed as much thats good too.
DV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.