Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Australian thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Rowdy_b64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Australian thread

ORIGINAL: ozrcboy

Well boys - the Zero went in again today. Photos and analysis in the usual place.
Where would that be??
Cheers
Rod
Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: Rowdy_b64

Well boys - the Zero went in again today. Photos and analysis in the usual place.
Where would that be??
Cheers
Rod
http://www.oz********.com
Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Rowdy_b64

Ta Muchly
Old 05-14-2007, 09:31 PM
ozrcboy

ORIGINAL: Crawf_

Oz,

Sorry to hear about the Zero.... doesn't look terminal though.... they are the worst kind of prangs...
Thanks Crawf - she'll be okay though as you say - could have been worse.

BTW an update on the AcroMaster... I have kept going back to her every couple of days and CA'd bits of the nose and motor mount back together..

I am not convinced she's ever going to fly again mind you but a little bit at a time...
It is surprising what can be repaired. When I smashed my Tigermoth into 20 or so little pieces of foam I was sure that was it for her, but over a couple of nights I put the fuse back together - then I didn't have a cowling or a gearbox, so I set her aside and waited. Eventually the aviation gods dropped both in my lap and now she flys again - better than when she first flew (largely due to the improvement in the pilots skill in the interim).

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 AM
maiden-crash

Bad luck Tam, lucky there's no damage! Clovus, thanks for the reply, I hop that they don't get banned when Ive got a model with one[X(]
Old 05-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Crawf_

Guys,

I've been pondering something for a while now and I just read some guys website talking about which planes were suitable for beginners etc.

The thing I'm not really getting is Ailerons. This seems to be some kind of voodoo for beginners so they are advised to steer clear of aileron models and stick with rudder/elevator jobs....

I have flown rudder/elevator models (Electrafun and EasyStar), and elevons (Stryker, Slinger and Funjet) and Full House/flaperons - Extra 300s, AcroMaster and MiniMag and whilst there are obviously differences in handling characteristics, I honestly don't see what the big deal is about ailerons. When I first flew an aileron model I expected the worst but found it to be not really any more difficult to fly than the others.

I'll admit that I may not do perfectly co-ordinated banks etc., but I do think some people make too much of the level of difficulty of the full house models and this ends up putting people off trying them, which is a shame in my opinion.

Any other thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Crawf
Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Rowdy_b64

Hi Crawf,
I haven't had the chance to fly anything slow with ailerons, but I get your point. I think if you were to fly a high wing slow trainer with ailerons it would be just as easy as a rudder elevator trainer. I wish I had bought the Ego Cessna 182 I was thinking of getting .. (got the Super cub instead .. dont regret that .. great plane) .. but I think the 182 with the aileron wing would have been damn fine.
Problem with most aileron aircraft is they are normally much quicker I suppose ... those much easier to crash
Cheers
Old 05-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Crawf_

Rowdy,

Yeah they can be quicker but I can also fly the MiniMag really slowly about 15 feet above the ground doing figure 8's and circuits, as well as balls to the wall, hair on fire verticals and loops, stalls etc.

Then there's something like the easystar with a BL motor which can go like the clappers, also does loops (just doesn't roll very well), stalls etc. and it is only rudder / elevator...

So yeah, speed can be a factor in the difficulty stakes but there must be something else as well... Cause we use the same stick to bank, with or without ailerons (right stick) it's just when you have ailerons and want that smooth co-ordinated turn, or maybe some sideslip to slow down for a landing, or for a nose over stall turn, you use the left stick for a touch of rudder...

Anyway... too tired, starting to talk rubbish so better hit the hay

Cheers,

Crawf
Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Rowdy_b64

Oh so right ... why am I still up ? Love reading and watching aircraft posts! (And drinking whiskey!)
Cheers mate
Rowdy
Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Rowdy_b64

Got my little 6 ch receiver from United hobbies today .. surpised at the thickness od the antenna ... damn samalll -- smaller than a scotsmans wallet!!! hehe - sorry Tam
Anyhow, put it in the rebuilt E-Flite P47 .. the one I wrecked on maiden .. got everything working OK once I had swapped that saved aircraft over to Mode 1 (Doh !!!)
Didn't quite get that the plane was responding as it should at all on mode 2! Really wierd .. ah well better now.
Need a Y cable, prop adapter and Rx crystal LHS tommorrow .. glue the ailerons back in and we are a goer for Saturday morning! (This time ROG take off ... no more throwing this bird on maiden!)
Cant wait to get this one flying. Will fly it 3/4 throttle this time and secure the battery
God I hope it stays in the air this time!
Cheers
Old 05-15-2007, 12:05 PM
tam popo

Well, tried again and wot a difference, one of the best fly days ever. Stock Stryker steady as a rock, load of circuits and then the landing - some eejit with a dog walks in front of plane when it was 6ft up -??? hit man, hit dog, hit deck - man and dog lived, motor mount didn't. Stryker 2 hit the sky big time, like a bullet and only on b/less and biggest battery (10.8V 1000Mah NImH - very heavy). This was awesome, who needs Lipos when it flys like this? Only nose damage but that is expected of Strykers (easy fix). Number 3 Stryker ready to maiden tomorrow. Still can't get this camera to download pics, pc not recognsing it - will keep trying!
Mr Rowdy - We spell whiskey like the last King of Scotland did (whisky), should be drunk at Scottish room temp with a touch of H2O. We don't have wallets, we have sporrans and we go commando with kilts. Haggis should be clubbed to death in open season only so that you don't bite the buckshot, and when we sign on for work our occupation is always shepherd. our most famous saying is "git it right up yaar, ya numptie!!"[>:][][>:][]
Old 05-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Crawf_

TP

what make & model camera do you have?

Crawf
Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 PM
tam popo

Hi Crawf- its a Technika SH340T. Scanning troubleshootind websites for fix. Got 1 week till hols - this thing is el cheapo cheapo (£30).
Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 PM
goopy

check this out...... [X(] Reckon they'll do this at the bundy airshow, clovus?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
tam popo

Don't anybody laugh but I've been offered a cheap Beaver (yes, we're back to that). Its a GWS DHC2 Beaver, 370 geared motor, about 38in span and only 10-14oz. And its only £15 with motor (needs 2 servos, esc, TX/RX and battery which I have. Anybody got any reports on it (Inflex??).
Old 05-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Rowdy_b64

Heehehehe ... well said Tam ... how easy it is to stir the pot with that Irish spelling ... I get the same reaction with my cousins. Such fun!
Glad to hear of the success with the Stryker as a air to ground missile! Man with dog angry ??
Cheers
Rowdy
Old 05-15-2007, 06:38 PM
tam popo

Man was ok but dog was p.....d off! I don't think I gave a correct account of my flying prowess - 8 launches (Swift, 2 Strykers), 1 bad crash (3 packs used) - not too bad after a 5-week lay-off [X(][X(][X(][>:] Buonos noches mi amigo, hasta la vista, Baby
Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 PM
ozrcboy

ORIGINAL: tam popo
Buonos noches mi amigo, hasta la vista, Baby
No thank you, I wanted the tacos

Crawf - re Aileron flying and beginners - I've been thinking about this one a bit as I am just starting to write the aileron chapter in my learning to fly series on the blog.

Here are some of the things that keep on coming up in my mind:

A RET trainer, if pushed past wing perpendicular to the ground simply falls straight down with a stall, and then is an easy up elevator recovery. The plane puts itself very quickly into a position where there is only one obvious recovery. There is one action to recovery (pull up) and it is self evident (although sometimes not so self evident that a beginner doesn't get it wrong)

The high dihedral will also lead to a moderately rapid restoration of level flight (as I've watched people fly the electrafun a little more I've realised that it doesn't self correct probably as much as it should which is one of its limitations as a trainer).

In contrast a AET (including REAT) plane will just keep rolling past perpendicular, continue to fly in more or less a straight line whilst gradually starting to lose altitiude. It wont automatically put itself into an easy recovery position. For example, let's say the beginner rolls the plane through 120 degrees. Recovery now involves solving a harder orientation problem, the controls require some finesse, and whilst the plane isn't headed directly at the ground, it is losing altitude, and pulling up on the elevator would actually be about the worst thing you could do.

Some other differences - a high dihedral RET loses less altitude if you don't combine elevator with the turn - a little less coordination that you need to learn at the start.

RETs can't do victory rolls - I would guess this has probably claimed a few planes from over enthusiastic beginners (it almost claimed my TigerMoth).

I certainly have some appreciation of what you are saying. By the time someone isn't jamming the sticks from one side full to the other side full, has reasonable orientation etc, perhaps they are ready for an aileron trainer, particularly if they have the discipline to not try a victory roll at 5 metres. And obviously at the clubs they teach students on the aileron trainers from the very start, so it is obviously very doable with an instructor who can take over and correct when you do the accidentally roll past 90, brain freeze, plane plunging towards ground thing.

I'm not sure how often you help out complete beginners with RC stuff, but if you do get an opportunity and are interested, take a look at the difference in ability between students on flight number 3-4 and students on flight 15-20. Now, they are all still beginners. The people on 15-20 flights have good command of the aircraft in the sky, sometimes they can even land within 50 metres of themselves but are still getting disoriented and having close shaves if not actual crashes. The students on 3-4 flights are doing everything they can just to stay airborne - every turn loses 5 metres of altitude and more than half the time when the plane is coming at them they either turn the wrong way, or take 3-4 seconds to figure out which way to turn. With such poor orientation you add ailerons to the mix and a lower dihedral wing and I think you will find the accident rate goes up substantially.

So, if you were instructing someone, I'm sure you could have them flying your 4channel minimag safely before very long. If they were doing what many of us have done, and trying to teach themselves thought, I reckon they would get into more trouble.

Anyway, been very useful for me to try and organise my thoughts on this - so if you disagree/feel like talking the issue through more please feel absolutely at liberty to get stuck in

Cheers,
oz.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 PM
ozrcboy

Man was ok but dog was p.....d off!
The Association of Scottish Independant Film (ASIF) is pleased to announce it's summer production "Man bites stryker"
Old 05-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Rowdy_b64

A RET trainer ...
In contrast a AET (including REAT) plane will just keep rolling past perpendicular
Hey there OZ,
Some acronyms for you to add to your glossary. (Please excuse my ignorance ... RET, AET and REAT ??)
Cheers
Rowdy
Old 05-16-2007, 04:15 AM
ozrcboy

Good Point Rowdy - I will add them to the glossary post haste:

The combo of letters refers to the controls the aircraft has available -
R - Rudder
E - Elevator
T - Throttle
A- Ailerons

Hopefully that makes it somewhat clearer.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Crawf_

Hi Crawf- its a Technika SH340T. Scanning troubleshootind websites for fix. Got 1 week till hols - this thing is el cheapo cheapo (£30).
TP... must be El Cheapo... I can't find drivers or software for it anywhere on the net unless maybe it is marketed under different names....
Did you get a CD with the camera?
Did you install the software?
Did you install the drivers?

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-16-2007, 05:33 AM
tam popo

Got a CD but won't install (error message coming up), I'll keep trying or take it back.http://media.putfile.com/STRYKER-1200FT--ONBOARD-CAM- Ths is for your perusal - this is from Maxamus from Dundee!!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:39 AM
tam popo

http://media.putfile.com/STRYKER-1200FT--ONBOARD-CAM- We'll try again!!![>:][>:]
Old 05-17-2007, 09:26 AM
tam popo

This is a tester - if there's anybody out there can you give me a reply to test the Inet connection - thanks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.