Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Australian thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 01:54 AM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Australian thread

Cheers mate I tried that but will try later - this thing is Noisy!!! Was in a Hobby shop yesterday (not my normal one) and owner and cust talking about a recently departed elder club member. His wife went to clear garage out eventualy and found 20+ models (classic, immaculate IC and expensive), she wondered why he kept car on driveway. He left them to club in his will and proceeds turned a club in the red to a very healthy state. This guy will definately go to Heaven [][] Back to bleepin Stryker[>:][>:]
Old 05-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Crawf_

Maiden Flight Report..

First flight of the Multiplex MiniMag (MM).

Well the wind died down to about 15 to 20 kts so I thought I may as well see how she flew... First flight she was all over the place, extremely out of balance, CoG seemed way too far back even though I had checked it at home and it balance on the prescribed points on the wing. With the wind and the wallowing it was all I could do to get it back down in one piece, especially as it just wanted to point its nose into the sky, especially when it turned into the wind on final.... I had power to burn though so the goaround was pretty straight forward. On about the 3rd attempt, I managed to force her down... no harm done. Incidentally, the wind was blowing across the soccer field and there were tall trees along the windward side so I had to come in high initially and then try to drop down when I cleared the treeline.. nothing like a challenge

I then moved the LiPo forward by about an inch and sent her aloft again... better, but still seemed to be tail heavy.... I had a better idea of what to expect this time so I persevered... easily managed loops and rolls but obviously nothing as crazy as the AcroMaster though fun nontheless. Forced her down again into a 15Kt wind but this time she came down harder than I planned and the LG broke loose - it was OK as it broke loose where it is designed to and I simply clipped it back into place and all was well.

This time I taped a weight on the bottom outside of the cowl area and moved the LiPo a little further forward again and off we flew again.... BTW these were all ROG takeoffs on a soccer field with short cut and very dry grass which posed no problems with the main or tail dragger wheels.

On this, the final flight of the day, I got a little more adventurous and did some high circuits, loops, rolls, stalls and touch & go's and note that these 3 flights were all on the one LiPo. I'd estimate that I had about 15 to 20 minutes of flight time in total. Unfortunately partly because of the wind noise and partly because the MM was so quiet, I didn't realise that the LiPo had run out of juice so I had to manage a dead stick landing from about 20 feet up pointing downwind. Needless to say, it was never going to be a perfect landing. I only just got it turned around into the wind about 1 meter into the air so it was a very heavy landing but again, the gear came off as it was designed to to and was clipped back on with no problems.

All in all, considering I shouldn't have even tried flying in those conditions, let alone a maiden flight, it was a good session.

I think I'll need to cut some foam tonight so I can move the LiPo even further forward before the next flight. I guess the BL motor is significantly lighter than the stock speed 400...

Tomorrow I hope to catch up with DI (weather permitting) so he can maiden his MM. I'm sure it will be a huge success story!

Cheers,

Crawf
Old 05-12-2007, 02:52 AM
maiden-crash

Good onya Crawf, can't say I didn't expect a success.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Rowdy_b64

Hey there Crawf,
Yes sensational weather for flying down here in Melbourne .. and I was putting in the bloody window!!
Did get out for a quick flight with the Freedom .. I had changed the prop over o a 9 x 4.5 slightly trimmed to clear the boom.
Found a setting on the OPTIC 6 to make the ruddervator work with the ailerons .. not that there are any . and that worked a treat.
But .. still underwhelming power ... bugger it ..
And it flew for only a few minutes on the little 630 3s

Back to the drawing board ...

Nice effort in high winds by the sounds of things Crawf .. glad to hear it is back in one peice.
What motor are you running in it ?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:38 AM
digitalimages

Hi Crawf

I looked out of the window earlier and said, " I bet he goes out and flies ".............. I was right eh ?

Sounds like a bit of a hairy experience but glad it flew OK - well it didn't have anybig misadventure. Interesting about teh COG - I balanced mine at the specified point too obviously - maybe I should bring some weights tomorrow ? I've just realised too that my lipo will be lighter even than yours

Well, give me a shout when you know what time ....... charging the lipo right now. Hope the wind drops off too by morning !!

Cheers
Old 05-12-2007, 03:44 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: Rowdy_b64
Nice effort in high winds by the sounds of things Crawf .. glad to hear it is back in one peice.
What motor are you running in it ?
Rowdy

I'm running a Himark 2815 2000Kv brushless swinging an APC 6X4E prop and various 2200mAh LiPos with a 30A ESC

Same motor I run in the Funjet and Slinger...

Cheers,

Crawf
Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: digitalimages

Hi Crawf

I looked out of the window earlier and said, " I bet he goes out and flies ".............. I was right eh ?

Sounds like a bit of a hairy experience but glad it flew OK - well it didn't have anybig misadventure. Interesting about teh COG - I balanced mine at the specified point too obviously - maybe I should bring some weights tomorrow ? I've just realised too that my lipo will be lighter even than yours

Well, give me a shout when you know what time ....... charging the lipo right now. Hope the wind drops off too by morning !!

Cheers
DI,

Pretty predictable aren't I?

Yeah the CoG is a bit strange.. I think I'll do some research on it on the net tonight but I'm pretty certain I'll need to remove some foam at the forward end of the canopy as the way it is at the moment, I can't move the LiPo any further forward... and I want to avoid having to add ballast if I can help it.

I wonder if I should have maybe let the motor protrude a little from the cowl to get more weight up front... well, too late now, I'll look at it if I ever crash and have to rebuild the nose.

At this stage it looks like the afternoon for me coming up as I have some Mothers Day duties in the morning and possibly a flight with my brother...

I'm much happier with the longer flight times, I guess in calmer conditions I could get about 45 minutes in total with the 3 LiPos.... much longer than the AM...

Will be in touch to sort out times etc.

Cheers,

Crawf

Old 05-12-2007, 04:00 AM
ozrcboy

Congrats on successful minimag maiden Crawf - I would say that is one seriously overpowered plane, but to be honest I don't really believe there is such a thing

Heh - is everyone else getting those "We're sorry - you can't post because of *excuse goes here*" every now and then?

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:07 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: ozrcboy

Congrats on successful minimag maiden Crawf - I would say that is one seriously overpowered plane, but to be honest I don't really believe there is such a thing

Heh - is everyone else getting those "We're sorry - you can't post because of *excuse goes here*" every now and then?

Cheers,
Oz.

Oz,

It is certainly overpowered... AND it's less than half the weight of the AM... woohoo!

I also have to say thanks to you ... I made sure to read and re-read your pre-maiden tips and checklists before going out to the field today.... , made me feel more comfortable that I had done everything right.....

Haven't seen those error messages.... will keep an eye on it...

Cheers,

Crawf
Old 05-12-2007, 04:20 AM
digitalimages

Crawf

I forgot about Mothers Day

I've just looked at my MM and I could move the battery almost diectly behind the motor (having cut the back off the motor mount, as well as my lipo being smaller than yours. Strange that the COG was so far out - I mean strange for Multiplex etc.

I may go out early with the EZ* but I'll certainly be there in the afternoon too !!

Like you, I've checked and re-checked mine so I hope all will be well. Did you leave your throttle at full travel ? As I mentioned, I reckon, if you held the plane verical, applied full throttle and let it go, it'd just keep going - straight up !!

Hopefully it'll be less windy tomorrow afternoon. I'll bring the EZ* as well in case it is

Cheers
Old 05-12-2007, 05:46 PM
tam popo

Scooterpig, join the thread! Give us info, where in Aus, planes, probs - the guys are'nt up yet. I can here them snoring from here!!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 PM
goopy

I've been up since 5am....... on a bludy sunday isn't that sacreligious or something? [:'(]

No flying for me - stuck at work - but have enjoyed reading the thread, as usual. Condolences for the AM, grats for the MM, and an "arg my eyes, they burn!!" for the vid, Crawf I'm kidding, you sexy bugger
Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 PM
ozrcboy

ORIGINAL: Crawf_
I also have to say thanks to you ... I made sure to read and re-read your pre-maiden tips and checklists before going out to the field today.... , made me feel more comfortable that I had done everything right.....
Good to hear they are of some use.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:23 PM
maiden-crash

I chopped off my rx wire at the bace because theres about 6 breaks in it and it jitters when I move a couple of metres away. Anyone know any cons of soldering in another piece of wire at the base to fix the problem?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:43 AM
maiden-crash

My parents went to the shopping centre so I asked them if they could get me some wire, and they did. The pack th all sorts of colours which was great as they could be used to custom match a plane. Anyway, I chopped of 37 inches of wire (I think thats right, can anyone comfirm the length of their JR receiver?) and I soldered it on. I performed a range check right next to my house, and noticed that at 25 metres the servos would start glitching slightly. This may be due to a low rx battey, or, I did notice there was a little less wire in the ones I got. I got these from DSE by the way. Can anyone help me please?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:54 AM
dabvid

hey guys, well after alot of thinking and talking to my parents i have decided that i am going to get the boomerang 40 trainer, as i am definently joining the club. however i will still stay electric and always have a parkflyer or two.lol :P
regarsd,
dave
Old 05-13-2007, 05:24 AM
maiden-crash

Huh, funny, Im going the same route as you, old likings never die. Anyone remember when I wanted that CMPro Lancair? Im at it again, I already have a glow plug ignitor and Im sure this is my next plane. Ive researched it a bit too. Slippery, aerodynamically clean with pylon charecteristics and speed. I plan on rnning on O.S 46 ax in it[>:] Heres a link, its a breath taking-ly beautiful plane IMO.

[link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/newcmpla3650.html]Lancai Mk11[/link]
Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 AM
maiden-crash

Actually, I should refrase that, anyone remember 3 out of the 20-25,000 planes I wanted over the past couple of months
Old 05-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: maiden-crash

Huh, funny, Im going the same route as you, old likings never die. Anyone remember when I wanted that CMPro Lancair? Im at it again, I already have a glow plug ignitor and Im sure this is my next plane. Ive researched it a bit too. Slippery, aerodynamically clean with pylon charecteristics and speed. I plan on rnning on O.S 46 ax in it[>:] Heres a link, its a breath taking-ly beautiful plane IMO.

[link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/newcmpla3650.html]Lancai Mk11[/link]

MC - are you sure you want to control a 25Kg monster?

Crawf
Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Rowdy_b64

Wow .. Very cool aircraft .. but woooooo 25 kg ?? Jesus.. Monster is right! 1.5 m wingspan and 25 kg ... what is the thing made of ..
I spose we are so used to parkflyers .. that sort of weight is almost unimaginable! Heaviest plane I have is 750 g or so!

Go for it!

BTW ... what club are you thinking of joining .. for what fees?

Cheers
Old 05-13-2007, 06:24 AM
tam popo

Hey, MC - do you want to mak it real un-cooland bound to crash. Then install a "George Bush" pilot, yearh thats. right! its available from Franktiano company that advertise on RCU. Who the hell thought of that? Coming soon the "Howard" model!
Still not programmed esc so I've got to do it in the car cos wifey says not in house - too loud!
In my flying mag (which I said I wouldn't buy) a true story. English guy goes to Aus for holiday, comes back and tells his Aus mate about how friendly the Australians are cos everywhere they drove people would wave at them (how did they know we were Brits?) - his Aus pal said "You ......hole, they were keeping the summer flys off!! True[8D] Oh wel, back to the car[>:]
Old 05-13-2007, 02:55 PM
goopy

guys.... I might be wrong...... but I daresay that's 2.5 kilos......

Wingspan of 1500, weight of 25 kilos...... what's it made out of, friggen concrete??

Looks good MC, good luck.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: goopy

guys.... I might be wrong...... but I daresay that's 2.5 kilos......

Wingspan of 1500, weight of 25 kilos...... what's it made out of, friggen concrete??

Looks good MC, good luck.

I thought that might have been a misprint.... hmmm a concrete model... that'd be stronger than foam right??

Crawf
Old 05-13-2007, 04:25 PM
dabvid

just one question, i know you guys probobly wont know as it is about glow but how much does fuel cost? if anyone knows thanks lol
regards,
dave
Old 05-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Crawf_

For your viewing pleasure, my brother collected another tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DmrEKET_Bk

Cheers,
Crawf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.