Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

ORIGINAL: Herbgat

... I did have trouble keeping my NiMh batteries warm; it was 34 degrees at the field, and the batteries didn’t want to provide enough juice to fly at full throttle for take off...
Herb
I fly a lot this winter sometime in temperature of -10C (about 12F) with no problems. It flies a little slower than during the summer but I assume this is probaly due the extra drag generated by the skis (I replaces the wheels with skis for snow take-off and landing). One thing that is absolutely necessary is to keep your batteries warm inside the house or at least in your inside pockets. If the batteries are cold when you put them in the plane then they will not have enough power for flying the SC or even to keep themselve warm. Even at these temperature, if they are warm when I put them in the plane, they will be a little warmer at the end of the flight.
The trick is to keep your batteries warm at all time.

If you are at the feild, maybe you can get a pair of RC touring car tire warmers to keep them warm. Never tried this but it will probably keep the batteries warm. See picture below:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77547.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	860672  
Old 01-26-2008, 04:16 PM

Afternoon all- just joined RCU, just bought my SC yesterday. I'm like so glad I found this site. Have learned all kinds of things going through all, almost all, 222 posts. What's a LiPo? Some kind of battery, but what kind? The reason I was searching initially is that I bought a spare wing, figured I'd save some gas, you know, be ready, just in case, when I go out and give this a whirl next weekend. I've had a little practice with a FBCommander2 but didn't like the way it responded. Anyway back to the wing, what can I paint it with that won't melt the foam? Guy at LHS waffled on whether or not I could use Tamiya Color Spray paint for Plastics, but then he said test it first, on the edge or something. Didn't feel very reassuring.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:43 PM

Krylon fusion is a great paint for it. A lipo is a type of battery. It is not the same as NiMh or NiCd. Welcome to rcu!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:51 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Jhill
use Krylon Fusion paint
Fly your SC using stock batteries for a while. Lipos are a different breed altogether
There is a lot of info on here abt lipos
Welcome aboard
Bill B
Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

Agreed. Frozen lakes are they way to go. Check this out. It was over a year ago but it still shows a pretty lake and some cub flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_cWbeTTqpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhbnmXtpcLk

Thanks for these Videos. I invite everybody to look at Mr.Mugen's videos again. Can Somebody say ELEVON??? That Dihedral under Force is TREMENDOUS!!!! MrMugen, your Super Cub's wing-flexing was incredible and I wanted to thank you again for sharing these videos. You have a beautiful place to fly in.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:50 PM

Thanks Sinai! It only looks that nice and inviting for a few days each year. I make sure to get full use of it when it's like that. It usualy snows shortly after freezing or while it's freezing. Last year we had a good 2 weeks of that scene. After that I drive my pick-up with snow plow mounted and plow us landing strips. I make them about 200ft x 50ft running N-S and E-W. It looks pretty cool from the highway or atop the big hill. I will try to get some good pics of it soon. I have been busy racing micro and mini cars on the weekends and fixing them and building all week. I haven't even used my new camera for my planes yet and I've had it a year now....better hit the skyway soon.

Later,
Kevin
Old 01-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Li-Po 11.1v 3s 2100 mAh for the Hobbyzone Super Cub. Read up on charging and maintenance. There are more and more things available for the SC's X-Port these days. X Port Sonic combat, altimeters, night flight lights too. I do tons of aerial photography with my super cub. XPort powered parkzone camera. www.TheXPortZone.com
Old 01-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Sinai

Hey Greg, was that you I saw on U-Tube with the SC on floats ?

Sweet ! I have GWS floats on order, they are backordered now. Do you think the stock battery and motor will give me lift off from the H2O ?

WoW ! You are a man of many talents.

Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijO42gLAXs

My wife and I enjoyed that ! Thank you !!

Dave S.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:08 PM

that is the stock wing? it looks with more dhiedral, exellent vid there was a point in the vid that I can said I saw a roll going down.
at first I was thinking where are the floats? and that boat have to be very small I dont see it. LOL lake was frozen jejeje. thats awesome I have never seen 1 in real life i was thinkng when you tell frozen lake in a white big area covered with snow like in movies. but that lake looks so beautifull I was amaze! can you break the Ice you step on ?

this morning I pack my SWIFT and my SC and went to my personal everyday flyfield and was a small leage game of baseball. "**** this kids wake before I do" was like 7:00 am the head up to my second option the University sport complex is z very big area with 4 bb park 2 400m tracks t footbal field. and some smaller tracks an areas . and for my bad luck there was a big event and almost all tracks and parks were full of people. I went back to my home take out my CX2 that was charged and flu in front of home I was very sick and need cure the adiction! so all battys are charged from last night and tomorrow morning recharge few minutes to getthem hot and repeaked. and try again!! did I tell after finish with CX2 I spend like 5 hours in SIM. just saturday and nothing more to do !

guys dont forgot keep posting those good vids in http://youtube.com/group/rcsupercub
Old 01-27-2008, 12:04 AM

Yes that was the stock wing after flying without struts for a few days. I had taped up the underneath with packing tape but it stretched too much. I now use 3m Extreme. The ice was about 8 inches thick in that video. That is enough to drive a fullsize pick up on. So no it won't break...lol. Not that I would recommend it to anyone but once there is an inch of black ice I go out. Flying and fishing....usually at the same time.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:10 AM

Hey Guys

I bought the 8 cell battery. I have not used it yet, but i was wondering does this battery make the plane fly fast? I kind of figured it will fly longer.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 AM

The 8 cell will give you increased power but the same runtime provided it is a 1000mah.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: FirebirdCdr2

Hey Guys

I bought the 8 cell battery. I have not used it yet, but i was wondering does this battery make the plane fly fast? I kind of figured it will fly longer.
I would not even consider the recommended "8-Cells" that Hobby Zone advertises on the side of your Super Cub shipping box!!

For the same $$$$ including shipping, I would highly recommend the ELITE 8-Cell, 1500mAH, 2/3A size, Ni-MH's and would order them from TNR - THE BATTERY STORE.

I have a pack and alternate between my 3-Cell Li-POLYs...... of course, I have since taken out the STOCK electronics and fly with Quality Castle Creations Griffin 55 Amp Brushed ESC and Hitec Electron-6 Dual Conversion RX (72Mhz) but, with the STOCK power system.

The ELITE 8-Cell, 1500mAH, Ni-MH's gives me an average of 17 minute flight duration with mix throttle use.

Here's where I order mine.....I got em for $2.50 each cell plus $6.00 to assemble the pack and connector!

http://www.batterystore.com/

http://www.batterystore.com/Contact.htm

EDIT: You can see my ELITE 8-Cell Ni-MH's in the picture!

Name:	Vs55469.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	862365  
Old 01-27-2008, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: FirebirdCdr2

Hey Guys

You have not used it yet???? What are you waiting for????

Like my hero in this video you have to move fast ....deadly........adapt....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRVHHIygyIM
Old 01-27-2008, 02:08 PM

For those who aren't following the thread, the low-wing Super Cub is complete and has made its maiden flight. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9BVIYJsB2U]Video on YouTube[/link]
Old 01-27-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. That piano is an ARF kit as well.

GRUBBY JEANS THAT LOW WING LOOKS FRICKIN" SWEET with the metallic paint job!!! Top secret AirFORCE stuff! Nose Gear too!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:00 PM

hi everyone im having problems with my floats ive fited them securly enough and they are a parallel to each other but the plane always want to go right........also i keep chopping the water....any ideas?????????
Old 01-27-2008, 04:04 PM

has anyone done a bi-wing SC...... just wondering

couldnt you just do grubby jeans low wing mod but leave the top wing thway it is.................
Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Ray
Your low winger flys better than my SC crop Duster. Excellant vid. I am going to have to make me another one. I already have an SC fuselage on order. yours flys better than a Focus 400
Bill B
Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 PM

Flew my Christmas SC for the first time today. Stayed up for two minutes. Made all of the mistakes that I told myself not to make. I turned too darn often, worried about losing the plane, lost altitude on every turn because I held the stick over for too long. Last turn was too low and I lost more altitude than I had.

Whoops.

SC will be back in the air in a couple of days. A little CA adhesive to the wing and bend the landing gear back into shape. Already scraped the snow, grass and mud out of the motor cowling. I had reinforced the fuselage where it meets with the trailing edge of the wing with a strip of wood. Seemed like a good idea, but on impact the rubber band tore through the wing pretty good. Maybe the wing mount in this area has to “give” to spare the wing from damage. Now I am going to cut out the wood brace and glue a stock-shaped piece of foam back into the area.

I have read every post on this thread and I thank you all for the very useful information.

In particular the technical Gurus: Mr. Mugen, CJG, Patnchris, zeta30.

Bigtone, sackohammers, Are you guys still around?

DaxFX, I love your keep it simple, stock, and just fly the plane philosophy! (By the way it’s “Throttle”)

The guy I would most like to fly with: s.c.c.

The guy I would most like to fly with and then have a beer: Sinai

Rich.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: gazza1

couldnt you just do grubby jeans low wing mod but leave the top wing thway it is.................

Yes. A guy at our club made one and still fly's it at each meet. It is awesome. I told him not to tell anyone my idea......he got on it before me and I am glad he did. Thanks Bob.....you saved me some real guessing work.

I will take pics next time....I may have one already...I will look. Kevin
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Hi all! I've been sitting on the sidelines for some time reading the many, many posts here. After 2 weeks of absorbing info like a sponge and enjoying the many posts of personal experiences I purchased a Super Cub, It arrived yesterday. Because of everyone here, I was able to have 5 excellent and flawless flights with the Cub this afternoon. The Cub went home with me in the same shape she left in. The only previous experience with R/C flying I have had was with a 2 Ch HZ Fighterbird and that only amounts to an Hour of actual flight time. I am very pleased, and wish to thank all of you here for posting your experiences, insights , encouragement, and just darn good tips! I have a smile on my face that will last all week!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:10 AM

OK, so yet another NEWBIE joins the ranks. Like FryingTiger,
I also sat in the weeds watching posts about what to buy, I also
bought the SC. I have NO RC experience whatsoever.
I finally decided to see if I might just like this hobby,
as it might just sort of fit-in to my other interests. I have
an electronics background, so it seems a good fit. I have also
flown many SIM games, which I think helped just a little.
My problem is keeping my head 'inside' the cockpit of
the plane. If I can do that, then control should be easier..

Well, after flying my SC today, I can say YES - I DO like it!
The plane really does almost fly itself, although like countless
other folks I had to turn ACT off to maintain control. But in
fairness, I suffer from the newbie fault of not flying high enough,
so sometimes ACT would come in and cut the throttle. The real
key is to get the plane trimmed properly as soon as you get
it airborne. From then on, it's a breeze.

And, contrary to the manual, I was flying over a snow-covered
lake (lots of space, but it's the predominant color up here now).
Take-offs were all from hard-packed snow, since I didn't trust
myself to 'throw' the plane into the air.

Crashes? Yes, but they were all pretty gentle. No broken parts
so far, and even one really nice landing. (In a 4 MPH breeze, you
can almost set this thing down vertically.) Can't believe I even did
that well. A great learner plane - if I can, anyone can!
I had a blast today!

NW
Old 01-28-2008, 04:22 AM

ORIGINAL: gazza1

Guys,

Bi-Wing and Low Wing combination setups are nothing new.......over here in Orlando, Florida many RC Flyers have configured many different setups with Brushless and developed LOW wing and BI-PLANE setups with spectacular results....I have posted some that are/were on sale at my local Hobby Shop, GRAVES RC.

www.gravesrc.com

Happy modifying.......

Name:	Xv63452.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	863339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99075.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	863340  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Rich flys

Flew my Christmas SC for the first time today. Stayed up for two minutes. Made all of the mistakes that I told myself not to make. I turned too darn often, worried about losing the plane, lost altitude on every turn because I held the stick over for too long. Last turn was too low and I lost more altitude than I had.

Whoops.

SC will be back in the air in a couple of days. A little CA adhesive to the wing and bend the landing gear back into shape. Already scraped the snow, grass and mud out of the motor cowling. I had reinforced the fuselage where it meets with the trailing edge of the wing with a strip of wood. Seemed like a good idea, but on impact the rubber band tore through the wing pretty good. Maybe the wing mount in this area has to “give” to spare the wing from damage. Now I am going to cut out the wood brace and glue a stock-shaped piece of foam back into the area.

I have read every post on this thread and I thank you all for the very useful information.

In particular the technical Gurus: Mr. Mugen, CJG, Patnchris, zeta30.

Bigtone, sackohammers, Are you guys still around?

DaxFX, I love your keep it simple, stock, and just fly the plane philosophy! (By the way it’s “Throttle”)

The guy I would most like to fly with: s.c.c.

The guy I would most like to fly with and then have a beer: Sinai

Rich.
Rich,

Yes, BIGTONE is still around in so repects.....he he....as he moved over to the Dark Side of BALSA and LITE PLY RC Airplane Models and I was there with him at his regular Flying site known as the SAND POINT MARINA, Titusville, Florida and took a nice Video of his 3rd Flight for his CARL GOLDBERG LASER 200 acrobatic RC airplane model.

Here's the Video:
http://www.vimeo.com/638903

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.