Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
zestril5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

wfkfg
I checked out the air commander as per your link it's pretty cool. It is only for combat though and not the drop module. It has a lost airplane feature that I'd be afraid of having on a plane. We have a development next to the field where we fly separated by trees. Although thankfully not a common occurance an occasional plane will land in those trees. If the plane is up high enough you may have to leave to get equipment to get it down or just leave it for the wind to knock down eventually. When the air commander loses contact with the transmitter the sonic combat module starts blaring away. I don't know how many of you have ever heard it, but it is LOUD. It would be funny but it would also bring the cops and compalints that might lose us the field. I didn't read too much and that feature may be able to be turned off for a situation like I described.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:02 PM
zestril5

Success finding John Cunningham! He returned my e-mail and gave me a different e-mail address. He still sells the ez-xport circuit board. for a description check the link in w5kfg's post #5499 above.

The board sells for $40 dollars and $5.00 shipping for any amounts under 10. For example 2 boards would be $85.00. To get them send your payment via paypal to [email protected], along with your shipping information and e-mail address. I just ordered 2 more. One for my Pitts biplane and one for My next plane A stryker where I'll mount the sonic module on the top and only have combat capability.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Sinai

I Stood at the edge of the Lake, and had to go in with my Xport Drop module on a set of pontoons. It had been the moment I waited for, to show my fathernlaw and his flyin buddy the SUPER CUB on floats. With a payload, I circled around and hit the Xport button for a shore-line drop over our group. Late on the Drop. Chute landed in a tree. Now, the two 50-something year old Flyers were both jumping around like 10-year olds to get at the parachute. For a moment I forgot they are expert-flyers of gas and electric, and was fortunate I had enough time to look over my shoulder at them.

Once, the Xport drop module still clung to the parachute which opened up while the SC water-taxied , and it was a slow crawl back to the shore! What happened next? The park ranger came by to investigate our activity. "There's no fishin' on this side of the lake," the Ranger called out. "We're not fishin," Dad's friend says, "we're just watching this LITTLE ELECTRIC plane." Low and behold it turns out the Park Ranger used to be into flyin years ago and struck up a nice conversation with us as he let our flying over Lake Ming in Bakersfield slide without prohibiting us.

It turned into being just a few good ol' boys talkin about the old days and who they knew in common from flying clubs of yester-year. One guy they all knew had lost a few fingers from a gas-powered prop!! Before the Ranger left, I got to fly a few more slow and quiet manuevers just to show how safe and harmless the Super Cub is.

We packed up the SC and headed home with some good memories.And no parachute man left behind either . .. (or streamer bombs for that matter) . I can't wait till you guys get the Xport up and running, and hope to hear your stories too.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 AM
w5kfg
My Feedback: (1)

Hi All
I found another SC site. Lots of pics and vids
Bill B
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12218
Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
BeavenX5

Hi Sinai I have been flying the SC equipped with Dubro skis on the frozen lake since late December. My 10 year old son and I always use the drop module and parachute man. The goal is to drop it from quite high altitude (150 feet) and to get it to land as close to us as possible while calculating the wind factor. Lots of fun. We plan on droping small water bombs and flour bombs on the lake next summer. My CWS floats are built and ready to be installed as per the instructions on the other thread.

We only lost the parachute man (named Charlie) one on a neibour shed's roof once on a windy day and got a ladder to retreive it. There is nothing like a wide open lake to fly... No danger of losing the plane in a tree
Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Mr. Mugen

Agreed. Frozen lakes are they way to go. Check this out. It was over a year ago but it still shows a pretty lake and some cub flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_cWbeTTqpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhbnmXtpcLk
Old 01-22-2008, 10:33 AM
zestril5

Has anyone tried this bomb? I bought it and then realized it needs to be connected to a servo to drop. The part sticking up on the top slides backward and release the bomb. This is 5 1/2 inches long. I'm going to fill it with flour and hope the cubs drop module, and the cub, for that matter, will handle it. Might be a week or 2 though if the forecasts are right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14646.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	857933  
Old 01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
zestril5

Mr.Mugen
I was just checking out your landing gear mod using the minipulse landing gear. It looks like you used a thicker piece of wood to mount the gear to. I used a piece of a standard yardstick. I cut the foam only as deep as the yardstick and epoxied it completely in including over the top. Also am using 2 1/4 inch wheels. And I didn't do any vertical reinforcing. Do you think this is too flimsy?
For the vertical reinforcing I'm not sure I understand how you attach the rod to the landing gear area.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
adwb

ORIGINAL: zestril5

Has anyone tried this bomb? I bought it and then realized it needs to be connected to a servo to drop. The part sticking up on the top slides backward and release the bomb. This is 5 1/2 inches long. I'm going to fill it with flour and hope the cubs drop module, and the cub, for that matter, will handle it. Might be a week or 2 though if the forecasts are right.
zestril5 who did you get that bomb from? has it a brand name? I want to see if I can source it in England if possible first or I will import from the U.S of A.
I luvvv by SC best this g I ever bought.
Alistair
Old 01-22-2008, 11:50 AM
adwb

Hi Everyone,
here is my contribution to the modification to stop the wheels bending back problem.
It seemed to get worse having fitted bigger wheels, but this fixed it.
Small piece of ply epoxied in to cut out , the wire is one half of a wall hanging for displaying china plates!!!
The great thing is it is springy and while it stops the original u/c from moving back it still allows it to flex out over on landing so the "shock absorber" effect of the original wire is retained
Alistair
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80735.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	857996  
Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Dave S.

adwb

Alister, Great idea ! I know exactly where I can get one of those hangers. I hope my wife won't notice one less plate on the wall and instead it will be on the shelf.

Dave
Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Mr. Mugen

zestril5- Chances are it will tear out on the first landing if the vertical pieces are not in. It did on mine. To put the vert's in just drill a hole in the wooden block and insert the rod in the fuselage up to the top. It helps distribute the blow throughout the whole fuse instead of just the wooden block.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Mr. Mugen

The red line is the CF pieces I put in. Black box is the wooden block. I used hardwood...not balsa. It needs to be sturdy and have enough depth to support the rod and the screws the keep the gear on. Make sure not to drill the holes much bigger than the rods. I like them to be the same size or within a few .001. Closer the better. Use 30 minute epoxy if possible on the whole thing.

Kevin
Old 01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
DaxFX

to much weight and mods just to prevent landing wire got bent !! you are making the plane hevier just for that? or any other reason. its affecting plane performance? battery are lasting less? for me is not any problem to bent back the wire to original position. I almost always got good landings whitout any bent on wheels. i just kill motor when coming to me and glide down very smooth. the SC does not need any flair to land or land with a little bit of thruttle. just glide down perfectly.

at least that is my experience with my cub !

some pages back some1 post his mod for landindg gears and was a piece of aluminum with the shape of the plastic parts on the gears and wheel put it on there. very simple very hard very good looking. I dont remember ho made that.
pd. love the drawing of the SC !!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Zeta30

Mr.Mugen
I was just checking out your landing gear mod using the minipulse landing gear. It looks like you used a thicker piece of wood to mount the gear to. I used a piece of a standard yardstick. I cut the foam only as deep as the yardstick and epoxied it completely in including over the top. Also am using 2 1/4 inch wheels. And I didn't do any vertical reinforcing. Do you think this is too flimsy?
For the vertical reinforcing I'm not sure I understand how you attach the rod to the landing gear area.
I would go with MrMugens mod. I did the one he came up with and have not had any problems what so ever even after some very hard landings. The only different thing I did was that instead of putting the CF pieces straight up into the fuse lodge I angled them a little towards the front of the plane.

Dax

The added weight is minimal, it didn't affect my plane at all.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Mr. Mugen

The added weight did nothing for mine either. Once you have a 450 outrunner in it nothing will slow it down or dampen the performance. I think I could fly a brick with that motor.

Zestril-I have that very bomb on one of my planes. It works well. Yes it does need another servo for it's use. A extra open channel too.

Kevin
Old 01-23-2008, 03:56 AM
psychorevo

Hello all,

I was going to buy a Trojan for my first plane. I've flown helis before and find the Trojan fun.

Should I buy this first or should I buy the Trojan straight up?

Do you guys ever get bored of yours fast? My friend loves his and is looking forward to the Trojan.

Does the ACT (Anti crash technology) work okay?
Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 AM
w5kfg
My Feedback: (1)

Hi All
I hear by the grape vine that HZ may be comming out with a bl and aileron version of the Super Cub later this year. They already came out with an aileron version of the firebird
Bill B
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 AM
zestril5

adwb
here is a link for that bomb. You will see smoke cartridges first but scroll down. On the Hobby Lobby page if you click on "product index" under the shopping banner you will see a large list of items. This one is simply called "bomb drop"

Mr. Mugen
I'll put the CF rods in but I fear that the piece of wood I used from a yard stick will not be sufficient. I'll try it b4 ripping it out though.
Also I would really like to see a picture or drawing of that bomb mounted. I was trying to figure out how to mount it since the triggering mechanism is so short above the mounting piece. The way I see it whatever you mount it to would have to be so thin it would rip out.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 AM
zestril5

I also have heard about the bl aileron supercub. Guys at both LHS's nearby say they have had pre release models in their stores. Both of them lie a lot though. One said they had 13 of them but were not allowed to sell them. He, of course had nothing to show me cause they were now gone. Where? who knows! The other LHS guy said the new version was not called a supercub and was smaller. I think he has it confused with the brushless j3

But the rumors persist.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 AM
adwb

Sorry I think the link went missing and ditto the other request
Alistair

adwb
here is a link for that bomb. You will see smoke cartridges first but scroll down. On the Hobby Lobby page if you click on "product index" under the shopping banner you will see a large list of items. This one is simply called "bomb drop"

Also I would really like to see a picture or drawing of that bomb mounted. I was trying to figure out how to mount it since the triggering mechanism is so short above the mounting piece. The way I see it whatever you mount it to would have to be so thin it would rip out.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Mr. Mugen

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/atricks.htm
Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
TRAXXAS829

I'm a noob with airplanes but am looking to jump into the exciting hobby. I have my heart set on the Super Cub and just wanted to know what anyone recommends for buying with it.... Spare props, or anything of the sort? Also, does buying it direct from Hobby Zone with the free extra battery sound good?

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Old 01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Mr. Mugen

A few spare props, a prop shaft wth gear on it, and an extra battery. Must get some foam safe CA glue and some 3M extreme tape for those leading edges and repairs.

Kevin
Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
areeves1950

ORIGINAL: TRAXXAS829

I'm a noob with airplanes but am looking to jump into the exciting hobby. I have my heart set on the Super Cub and just wanted to know what anyone recommends for buying with it.... Spare props, or anything of the sort? Also, does buying it direct from Hobby Zone with the free extra battery sound good?

Thanks in advance,
Andy
Props are a must and cowl. wing struts also. Hobby zone with the free battery is great they are good to deal with. If you decide to get another battery
try the 8 cell packs they work great to for a few bucks more.....

areeves

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.