Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Yes to Lipos in the supercub, it'll fly like a new plane. Only mod is to make the battery box big enough and remove the jumper. If you follow the leads from the top and bottom connections to the ACT plugs you'll see where they plug into the ESC/RECEIVER. I know of no one who suggest leaving the ACT feature active so pull these 2 plugs from the ESC/RECEIVER. Then there will only be one more plug without a wire. This is the jumper you need to remove. Just pull it off and set it aside.

You can fly the lipos with the plug in but you take the risk of running your lipo below it's minimum power drain.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi people!

Just like to post that I have been flying my #2 Super Cub that is powered by the Park Zone Typhoon Brushless power system and it gives the longest flight duration ever as just this past weekend, I was able to fly it for 31 minutes using a generic 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 20C, Li-POLY and while swinging the E-Flite 10 X 8 propeller.

Recall that the Typhoon gearbox has a 8:1 ratio so, the average AMP draw is nothing over 5 AMPs. (7.3 AMPs at wide open).

That Li-POLY still had 11.4 Volts after the flight plus, it only took 1145mAH to fully charge again.

It is not a speed demon but, it still provides moderate performance for loops, 1/2 rolls, inverted flight, hammer heads etc... in a slow "SCALE" manner.

I Love this model!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75155.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	935827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31325.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	935828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44249.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	935829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17417.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	935830  
Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 AM

Hi all,

Just a question...

Took the Cub out for an evening flight yesterday and after the first pack was ten minutes into the flight the plane started to fly really badly and sluggishly and then I decided to land her and try to take off again. Did an ROG and the plane didnt even take off just sped along the ground at high speed despite the old up elev. So I figured this would be a battery that wasnt charged and stuck the other battery in the plane but then the plane would take off but the tail was dipped as it flew and it was flying sluggishly again (it looked like the tail was really heavy if that helps)

Is this just a problem with a battery not fully charged or not fully discharged then charged?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 AM

It sounds like the first battery was at its end. about 10 minutes all you are going to get out of stock battery.
The second battery sounds like you didn"t get it charged. You should always top off the batteries before you go flying.

alan
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 AM

What size lipo are you using?

alan
Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 AM

I think the car cigarrette lighter charger sometimes detects false peaks and stops the charge early. How long did/does the battery charge for before it indicates done? Is the battery warm after the charge?

If it's not charging for long (at 1.8 amp, the stock 950 mah battery should take a little over a half hour for a full charge) and if it's not warm by the end of the charge, then when it says it's done try unplugging it and plugging it back in to continue the charge.

Also, I was having a similar problem to what you describe, and I decided to change the stock battery and receiver connectors to deans ultras. At the same time, I bought a better charger and use that now (I didn't go to the trouble of putting a deans ultra on the old charger, so I haven't used it since the change in connectors). One of the two changes fixed the problem.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 AM

Prop choice??? Im running a stock super cub. I have the stock 7 cell batt and the upgraded 8 cell. Im wondering if I can purchase other props to change the speed a little???
Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 AM

Change the Battery..... No Big modification just change to lipo 3 cell
Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: streetsoffire

Prop choice??? Im running a stock super cub. I have the stock 7 cell batt and the upgraded 8 cell. Im wondering if I can purchase other props to change the speed a little???

I use an APC 10 x 7E props. They are better props than stock and cost less too.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 PM

Here is my latest video. This is an inflight with a FlyCamOne2. (which is a huge POS in my opinion). To say I am really disappointed with this camera would be a gross understatement. Anyone who is considering buying this would be wise to steer clear if you want quality videos.

The good: very light, swivel lens, 30fps

The Bad: very light means cheap plastic quality. The buttons don't work very well and feel like a cheap plastic kids toy. It needs bright light, even cloudy days like in my video don't work very well. The color is off. I get wavy lines through out the video. Non intuitive menu. The two digit codes that are used to change the modes don't make any sense.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_k8l43kyj8[/link]
Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 PM

Hi Folks:

I’m looking for some advice. I have really enjoyed flying my Super Cub for over a year now, but now I feel that I would like to move up to something capable of a little more aerobatic performance something that comes from the factory with ailerons, a brushless motor, and lipo batteries. Also something that will allow me to fly in more wind. I have narrowed the choice down to either a T-28 Trojan or a Park Zone Typhoon 2. I wondered if any of you had flown both of them (or either of them) and what your opinions are of the two RTF airplanes. I know that both have had problems with the esc, but Parkzone/Hobbyzone has apparently been pretty good about replacing them under the warranty.

Thanks for any advice you can give me regarding the two planes.

Herb
Old 04-29-2008, 06:52 AM

I'm interested in the same question. I've been thinking of getting a T-28 trojan, but I've heard that the RTF ones sometimes have electronics issues. It looks like a great plane.

Can anyone with experience on the "next step" airplane offer some suggestions?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Herb and Down,
I can't speak about the typhoon but I can offer some information about the Trojan. The T-28 Fly's great. It has very good slow speed control and stepping up from the Cub shouldn't be an issue. The transition to alerions shouldn't be very difficult. My only sugesstion would be to fly first on a calm day and climb out on take-off to a pretty high altitude before starting to experiment with the controls. The trojan will fly very well at 1/2 or even 1/3 throttle. Just remember on an alerion airplane when you put it into a turn it will stay there until you straighten it up. It will take off in less than 20' and has enough power to fly vertical quite a ways before stalling. loops are tight and has a fair roll rate. Out of the box the CG is off and the plane is a little nose heavy. I would leave it this way at least the first few flights as it will make the plane harder to stall. With throttle control I am gett 15 minutes + with the stock battery and 20 + with a 2200mah. With the cg being off the plane doesn't flare very well on landings but it does ok.

I haven't had any issues with the ESC but I have had issues with alerion servos. My left alerion servo first stripped and has since locked up twice. I spoke to HH yesterday and they said if I send it in they would replace it but I have already upgraded to e-flite servos and I have a spektrum 6dxi coming in tomorrow to replace the radio gear. Considering the cost to return the plane I really don't believe I would be gaining anything. In the three weeks I have had this plane I have demo'd it to several people and 3 have already purchased it. Even with the few problems I don't believe you can go wrong with the T-28.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 AM

Hi guys,

I went from the super cub to the Trojan. I used low rates for the first few flights and the transition was easy. No crashes! I then switched to high rates and the plane is real fun to fly. I can't believe how easy the transition has been.

I had a faulty transmitter out of the box, which peeved me no end.

Its agreat plane, go for it!

MonSoon
Old 04-29-2008, 03:12 PM

And still another vote for the Trojan. Between the Trojan and the Typhoon my opinion is no contest. They both fly well but I'm big on looks too and the Trojan is a great looking plane. It takes off like it's going from an aircraft carrier. Rolls without rudder input are'nt as tight as I would like. In fact I upgraded the motor to a Power 10 at one time but have since taken it out. Too fast for me and how i wanted to fly the Trojan. So back to stock I went and I really love it. Also landings require more ground than the Cub. I usually dead stick the cub in and it rolls to a fairly quick stop. I "fly" the Trojan in under power and it likes to roll into next week but it's all good. The Tripod steering configuration is GREAT with the front wheel steering. WARNING... don't land on the nose wheel. If you bend it back cracking the firewall plastic, there is no replacement part, you have to buy the entire fuselage. Have been looking for some decent fix for this but haven't found one that lasts as of yet.

I can't speak for problems with the esc (some have complained) It's the same ESC I buy for some of my other planes and I've had no trouble. But I will complain about the aileron servos. I had one go bad and replaced it with the spareparts aileron sold specifically for the Trojan only to have that one go bad. I've yanked them both and put in $13.00 Metal gear servos from Hobby City.

So there you have it. I didn't sugar coat it for you but even with the negatives I mentioned it's a great second plane to the Cub. It was actually my 4th plane after the Cub but it's so easy to fly it's an easy transition.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: zestril5

......Also landings require more ground than the Cub. I usually dead stick the cub in and it rolls to a fairly quick stop. I "fly" the Trojan in under power and it likes to roll into next week but it's all good. The Tripod steering configuration is GREAT with the front wheel steering. WARNING... don't land on the nose wheel. If you bend it back cracking the firewall plastic, there is no replacement part, you have to buy the entire fuselage. Have been looking for some decent fix for this but haven't found one that lasts as of yet. ....
I discovered the same with my low-wing SC. You MUST land on the wing gear.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Herbgat

Hi Folks:

I’m looking for some advice. I have really enjoyed flying my Super Cub for over a year now, but now I feel that I would like to move up to something capable of a little more aerobatic performance something that comes from the factory with ailerons, a brushless motor, and lipo batteries. Also something that will allow me to fly in more wind. I have narrowed the choice down to either a T-28 Trojan or a Park Zone Typhoon 2. I wondered if any of you had flown both of them (or either of them) and what your opinions are of the two RTF airplanes. I know that both have had problems with the esc, but Parkzone/Hobbyzone has apparently been pretty good about replacing them under the warranty.

Thanks for any advice you can give me regarding the two planes.

Herb
The two planes you are considering do very different things. The Typhoon 2 is an entry acrobatic, 3D plane. The Trojan, is more of an entry level War Bird, where it can do some mild acrobatics but nothing near what the Typhoon can do.

If you think you might want to do some 3d flying then it's a no brainer, go for the Typhoon 2. If you want a War Bird then go for the Trojan.

If I remember I think the Typhoon 2 is lighter, therefore won't do as well in the wind. (but you didn't mention how strong of wind you were thinking of flying in).

I have a Trojan and did have the glitching problems. There have been a lot of people that experienced the glitching and I don't know if it's been fixed by ParkZone yet or not.

I now have a DX7 TX and an AR6100 RX so the glitching has been solved in my case.

I forgot to mention I do love flying the Trojan, it is very fun.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:37 AM

Hello all. This is my first post here. I recently purchased the SC as my first plane. I tried the helis with the Blade CX, but it just wasn't my thing! My first flight was a bit of an adventure. I chose too small of a field because I was so anxious to try it out. So, busted cowl repaired with clear tape and minor chunk from the wing also fixed with tape, and a new prop and I was ready to hit the skies in a more open field. No problems from there. I've got about 10 or so flights under my belt now and I'm feeling really comfortable with my plane. I turned the ACT off on about the 3rd flight and it hasn't been on since. I've worked a lot on my landings. Both using the throttle and just gliding in. I figured both skills would be needed at some time or another. I'm excited about my future in flying and hope to meet up with some local 'old pros' that I can learn from.

I've been researching my next plane, and so far the PZ T-28 Trojan is at the top of the list. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm very open to researching them.

Thanks for letting me share my first-time-flyer experiences! I hope to be around the hobby for a long while to come!

-Tyler
Old 04-30-2008, 12:18 PM

I do have another recommendation for a second plane. For a 3 channel I like the EZStar. This is a great "almost" glider. It's a lot of fun to take it way up and cut the motor to just float around. I've replaced the motor with a strykerC motor to get it up there quicker and save battery but it's good the way it comes.

If you are looking to get into a 4 channel (ailerons) then I would suggest the WingDragon 4 or the Begin-Air. Much less expensive than the Trojan. These are almost identical planes. In fact the wings, tails, and fuselages are interchangable. A sparse-ness of parts made me buy begin-air replacement items for my WingDragon 4 (Note: WingDragon is only 3 channel......You want WingDragon 4)

They fly pretty good out of the box but I wanted more speed and better aeobatics which I got by replacing the motor with an e-flite 6 series motor.

Just some other options that are great second planes because of their ease to fly and come RTF since I assume as a beginner you haven't made a change to your radio equipment yet.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: tb_tyler

Hello all. This is my first post here. I recently purchased the SC as my first plane. I tried the helis with the Blade CX, but it just wasn't my thing! My first flight was a bit of an adventure. I chose too small of a field because I was so anxious to try it out. So, busted cowl repaired with clear tape and minor chunk from the wing also fixed with tape, and a new prop and I was ready to hit the skies in a more open field. No problems from there. I've got about 10 or so flights under my belt now and I'm feeling really comfortable with my plane. I turned the ACT off on about the 3rd flight and it hasn't been on since. I've worked a lot on my landings. Both using the throttle and just gliding in. I figured both skills would be needed at some time or another. I'm excited about my future in flying and hope to meet up with some local 'old pros' that I can learn from.

I've been researching my next plane, and so far the PZ T-28 Trojan is at the top of the list. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm very open to researching them.

Thanks for letting me share my first-time-flyer experiences! I hope to be around the hobby for a long while to come!

-Tyler

Tyler,
Congrats on your success! I don't believe you can go wrong with the PZ T-28. With controls on low rate it is very forgiving. Definately practice and master both power on and DS landings with the cub before attempting to fly the T-28. The cub is a very easy plane to land (it almost lands itself) and landing an alerion plane is definately different. I'm not too far from you. If you want to check out the T-28 flying come on over to Jonesboro some time. The LHS here has them in stock and I'm there most every day. If not there is one hanging behind the counter just ask Q to give you a demo. We fly right out of his parking lot. Good luck.
-me-
Old 04-30-2008, 01:27 PM

Thanks Sparky. Which LHS are you talking about? I found this one online, which I didn't know about http://www.*********raceway.com/ and theres one over in town where the Razorback/NASCAR shop used to be, right?

I'm sure I'll find an open Saturday afternoon to swing over there. Do you know of any local events or anything taking place anytime soon? I would expect that would be a good place and time to learn a lot and meet some folks.

To zestril5: Thanks for the response. I checked them out and quickly noticed that I really do not like the look. I'm sure it would be a good trainer, but I can't get past the looks.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM

Clip wings ??? I did a little damage to my wing tips. I wasgoing to cut 2 or 3 inches off the wings. How will it fly???
Waht should I use to cut them?? Should I cut then sand the tips?? Round or flat??
Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: tb_tyler

Thanks Sparky. Which LHS are you talking about? I found this one online, which I didn't know about http://www.*********raceway.com/ and theres one over in town where the Razorback/NASCAR shop used to be, right?

I'm sure I'll find an open Saturday afternoon to swing over there. Do you know of any local events or anything taking place anytime soon? I would expect that would be a good place and time to learn a lot and meet some folks.

To zestril5: Thanks for the response. I checked them out and quickly noticed that I really do not like the look. I'm sure it would be a good trainer, but I can't get past the looks.
Tyler,
RC Hobbies is correct. It is the same one that used to be by the Sports Shop but they have moved out on the bypass by the Putt Putt golf. This Saturday will be a practice day at the track so there will be several people there. If you have any interest in RC On Road Racing you should come over and check it out. Sunday is the TCS Race in Memphis so I know we will all be out of town then. I believe our next race is the 11th but i'm not sure about that. Practices are every Sat and races every other Sunday. We are currently working on a flying field behind the track and shop but it's gonna be a few weeks before the grass is up looking good. We are still flying out of it some but not alot. Come on over and one of us will be glad to demo the T-28 for you. I just left the shop a few minutes ago and he has 3 of them on the shelf. He also stocks the SC and parts for them.
John
Old 05-01-2008, 01:10 AM

for tb tyler

You're right, they aren't anything in the looks department especially when compared to the Trojan and the Supercub. Just wanted to give you the options you asked for.

The T-28 is a hard choice to beat.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 AM

Well I have been experimenting with some different props!

Purchased a couple of GWS EP10X47 & some GWS HD1080 props and a PKZ1023 9.6V 900mAh battery from a local hobby shop that I found. The props change how the plane flies totally. Stick in the 9.6V and put on the HD1080 and the good old cub flies nice and fast and gives it great power to do stupid tricks with the plane. Put on the 10X47 and put in the 8.4V 900mAh that came with the plane and she flies nice and gracefully and steady! I am going to maybe try another size GWS prop and see how it goes then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.