Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:53 AM
dean2287

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

Thanks, I'll keep looking, they're not the onlyclub around but likely the best.

BTW, my Cub came with 1300mAh 3 cellLipos...wouldthe 1500 give it more umph?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 AM
manuel frias

i just got the originial hobbyzone supercub on craigslist for 70$ brand new. I went to fly it and it was so much fun. I would like to get sum lipos for the super cub. Would the 2000 mah 11 volt lipos fit in the supercub.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Belemnoid

You'd have to cut up the battery box to fly the 2000mah pack. They're also pretty heavy so you'd get better performance from a smaller pack.
Not saying it wouldn't work, but you'd probably be better off looking for a smaller pack. I've got a couple 1800 that work well, but I did need to cut up the battery box to fit them in.

dea2287 - a 1500 mah pack will give you longer flight times, not more umph.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 PM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: dea2287

Thanks, I'll keep looking, they're not the only club around but likely the best.

BTW, my Cub came with 1300 mAh 3 cell Lipos...would the 1500 give it more umph?
No more power, voltage does that,and I would not go above the 11.1v LIPO 3cell,,mAh adds capacity=longer flight times.The ones I got fit without mods http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150357373234 Been good so far charging gently with the Accucell 6....
Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 PM
dean2287

Thanks for the advice. A bit longer flying time would be good, I'll have to check these batteries out.

Made 3 or 4 good landings today, think I'm starting to get it! I whacked a tree one time coming in though and did some minor damage to one wing, but nothing to worry about. This cub is super for training...I've beat the snot out of it and it still flies well. Just needs a little maintenance and TLC.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 PM
manuel frias

i flew the super cub thrue 5 batery packs today. so far i have 7 flights on this plane and i havent crashed once. this plane is so fun to fly the first plane i bought was the parkzone stryker b and that did not work out so well eventualy i destryoed the hole plane and got out of rc planes for about 1 year . i sure wish i bought the super cub the first time around. so far the only damage was i took a very smal chnk off of the end of the right wing but i gorilla glued it back on. when i was landing a slight cross wind blue and it tiped the wing and snaged the ground. i was a little concerned thoe abought my flight times thoe i have recorded al my 7 flight times to see how much air time i was geting out of the stock batterys ( i have 2) and each time i only got abought 7-8 minets on the box it says i shuld be geting abought 10-15 minets of flight time.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:10 AM
gws_003

Thanks for the advice. A bit longer flying time would be good, I'll have to check these batteries out.

Made 3 or 4 good landings today, think I'm starting to get it! I whacked a tree one time coming in though and did some minor damage to one wing, but nothing to worry about. This cub is super for training...I've beat the snot out of it and it still flies well. Just needs a little maintenance and TLC.
Yea,you'll beat her up learning,she takes it well,,,repairs are quick and easy....Then, all of a sudden it'll click,and you'll want to move the controls to max,,,and then that won't be enough,,,,you're hooked,,,movin' up,,,just remember to keep the SC around,no matter what you move on to,,, I'm gonna have this up next
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65351.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1246259  
Old 07-30-2009, 12:24 AM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: manuel frias

i flew the super cub thrue 5 batery packs today. so far i have 7 flights on this plane and i havent crashed once. this plane is so fun to fly the first plane i bought was the parkzone stryker b and that did not work out so well eventualy i destryoed the hole plane and got out of rc planes for about 1 year . i sure wish i bought the super cub the first time around. so far the only damage was i took a very smal chnk off of the end of the right wing but i gorilla glued it back on. when i was landing a slight cross wind blue and it tiped the wing and snaged the ground. i was a little concerned thoe abought my flight times thoe i have recorded al my 7 flight times to see how much air time i was geting out of the stock batterys ( i have 2) and each time i only got abought 7-8 minets on the box it says i shuld be geting abought 10-15 minets of flight time.
You might want to get a good charger, and or pick up some Lipo's,,,,they make the SC scream stupid
Old 07-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Sinai

I was getting 6 or 7 minute flights too and 8 minutes on the 8-cell. The box makes it seem like you're up there chillin' for 15 minutes. I've only seen my father n law get that kind of longevity on the 7-cell by going up, cutting the throttle and gliding around conservatively. But I always seem to fly, as gws says, with "a heavy left thumb" too. I'm always at full throttle it seems.

Now that i got some lipo batts, I always put my watch in "stop watch" mode, at "0.00", and press the "start" button before I throttle up on a new batt. I want to take care of my batts. So I don't fly them to deadstick very often.
Could I fly for 13 or more minutes on 1 battery? Of course I could. A Lipo can do that and more. But I usually look at my watch and start thinking about landing for a pitt-stop battery change at about ten minutes or so. It's better on the battery, and for me there's no reason to fly to deadstick unless I just plan to. After two flights, i'm good anyway and might do a 3rd flight but most of the time i don't.

hey this plane is a great trainer, and beyond. I agree with you too . It's great to hear that some of you are getting that landing down. I enjoy landing this plane so much because of the way it looks coming in, and how well it handles even in wind. I saw belemnoid set his cub down in the wind like a helicopter with my own eyes one day. We flew at a mutual location in California. It was amazing how much that plane flies like the real thing.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 AM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: Sinai

I was getting 6 or 7 minute flights too and 8 minutes on the 8-cell. The box makes it seem like you're up there chillin' for 15 minutes. I've only seen my father n law get that kind of longevity on the 7-cell by going up, cutting the throttle and gliding around conservatively. But I always seem to fly, as gws says, with ''a heavy left thumb'' too. I'm always at full throttle it seems.

Now that i got some lipo batts, I always put my watch in ''stop watch'' mode, at ''0.00'', and press the ''start'' button before I throttle up on a new batt. I want to take care of my batts. So I don't fly them to deadstick very often.
Could I fly for 13 or more minutes on 1 battery? Of course I could. A Lipo can do that and more. But I usually look at my watch and start thinking about landing for a pitt-stop battery change at about ten minutes or so. It's better on the battery, and for me there's no reason to fly to deadstick unless I just plan to. After two flights, i'm good anyway and might do a 3rd flight but most of the time i don't.

hey this plane is a great trainer, and beyond. I agree with you too . It's great to hear that some of you are getting that landing down. I enjoy landing this plane so much because of the way it looks coming in, and how well it handles even in wind. I saw belemnoid set his cub down in the wind like a helicopter with my own eyes one day. We flew at a mutual location in California. It was amazing how much that plane flies like the real thing.
Hey Sinai, With the new Lipo's, I'm learning left thumb control,,,,trying to make them last,,,HA HA,,,won't happen for long tho....
Old 07-30-2009, 11:26 PM
FirebirdCdr2

I am having flying withdrawls. Have not been able to fly, been so busy.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 PM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: FirebirdCdr2

I am having flying withdrawls. Have not been able to fly, been so busy.
Make time, I keep my SC in my Blazer,for a chance to put her up whenever,,,not like packing everthing up to go to the field with the glow planes,,,,, Gotta fly! Ya,,,it's an illness,,,,,not looking for a cure!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Yes, gws you are right. Just the other day, I put my Sukhoi and Unique in my ride before I left for work. I travel all through out the day, everyday. Around lunch time, I happened to be passing by my home so I stopped off at my local field and flew the Unique for about 8 min. The wind was a little too much for the Sukhoi so I didn't get to fly her. But it was a great feeling knowing it only took a total of 15 min out of my day to get a flight in.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Sinai

hear, hear.
I'm going to start doing that too. Just drive around with the cub in the trunk for fast deployment anywhere, anytime. . .
I'm going offline for awhile . Fly well everybody
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 PM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Yes, gws you are right. Just the other day, I put my Sukhoi and Unique in my ride before I left for work. I travel all through out the day, everyday. Around lunch time, I happened to be passing by my home so I stopped off at my local field and flew the Unique for about 8 min. The wind was a little too much for the Sukhoi so I didn't get to fly her. But it was a great feeling knowing it only took a total of 15 min out of my day to get a flight in.
Ya, just having a quick easy plane to toss up whenever, is great,,,,had to dig my SC out of a tree tonight,,,stood on top of my Blazer with a long pole and got her down,,,no damage It was in my own yard! Been flying crazy lately,,,,,LIPO'S will make you do that
Old 07-31-2009, 10:27 PM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: Sinai

hear, hear.
I'm going to start doing that too. Just drive around with the cub in the trunk for fast deployment anywhere, anytime. . .
I'm going offline for awhile . Fly well everybody
Exotic vacation???
Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 PM
dean2287

Tooka flight after dinner tonight at the usual park. There was a bit of a breeze, but I decided to go anyway. The plane tossed around pretty good up there, but I'm getting better on the controls. I turned off the ACT and managed a few stall turns, dives, touch and go's, and loops. I put it down well a few times (though I nosed it on the grass once) and generally had a rewarding flight.

The park I fly at has a paved square at the center for a hockey rink in winter. It's the perfect airstrip, except that it is surrounded by light poles which are strung together with overhead wires! I have to make sure to come in "under the wire", so to speak, and avoid the poles. It makes me really focus on controlling the plane!

I'm already looking around for bigger planes. I took a look at a Great Planes Piper J-3 40 a fellow locally is selling, but he set it up with a HUGE 0.91 4-stroke engine and it need a bitof work. Another guy has a Hobby Lobby Funster 0.40 72" for sale, scratch built witha pilot, and yet another fellow is selling his NexStar 0.46 trainer, which nicely comes with a field kit. Decisions, decisions....

Regardless, the Cub is with me to stay!!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:00 AM
gws_003

Took a flight after dinner tonight at the usual park. There was a bit of a breeze, but I decided to go anyway. The plane tossed around pretty good up there, but I'm getting better on the controls. I turned off the ACT and managed a few stall turns, dives, touch and go's, and loops. I put it down well a few times (though I nosed it on the grass once) and generally had a rewarding flight.

The park I fly at has a paved square at the center for a hockey rink in winter. It's the perfect airstrip, except that it is surrounded by light poles which are strung together with overhead wires! I have to make sure to come in ''under the wire'', so to speak, and avoid the poles. It makes me really focus on controlling the plane!

I'm already looking around for bigger planes. I took a look at a Great Planes Piper J-3 40 a fellow locally is selling, but he set it up with a HUGE 0.91 4-stroke engine and it need a bit of work. Another guy has a Hobby Lobby Funster 0.40 72'' for sale, scratch built with a pilot, and yet another fellow is selling his NexStar 0.46 trainer, which nicely comes with a field kit. Decisions, decisions....

Regardless, the Cub is with me to stay!!
Once you go glow, you won't look back,,,,unless you're like me, flying the SC anywhere is great,,,,glad you're havin' fun....
Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Made time to day, and flew my Cub.... I turned the cell phone off and went for what i know!!!! Omg!! I was so relaxed, However I'm waiting on my parts for my cessna, so i can keep learning, how to get used to flying ailerons, But my cub is doing the flight satisfying trick.

Firebird
Old 08-01-2009, 05:41 PM
manuel frias

i have about 18 flights on my super cub so far and this is my first rc plane no crashes so far and i feel preaty confident flying it. i was extreamly suprised that i could do inverted with it. i am loocking for more performence out of it so i am definetly going to go the lipo rought. i noticed that Sainai uses these lipod in his super cub and i just bought them on ebay( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2) too can you tell me if they are any good? how long are the flight times with these lipos? and how much more performence do you gaine?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Hey Guys,

I have decided to go head and paint my othe Super Cub. This time i'm thinking about some Navy gray or use some blue, but I'm going to paint this one too!! Everytime I look at My T-34 Cub, I smile cause i thought that paint job was going to come out terrible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69807.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1248039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64674.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1248040  
Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 PM
dean2287

Hey, that T-34 looks great! Very nice job!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 AM
FirebirdCdr2

dea2287

Thanks, It was my first time painting one of my planes.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:30 PM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: manuel frias

i have about 18 flights on my super cub so far and this is my first rc plane no crashes so far and i feel preaty confident flying it. i was extreamly suprised that i could do inverted with it. i am loocking for more performence out of it so i am definetly going to go the lipo rought. i noticed that Sainai uses these lipod in his super cub and i just bought them on ebay( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2) too can you tell me if they are any good? how long are the flight times with these lipos? and how much more performence do you gaine?
Those will do very well, same ones I got, but with more mAH....use a balancing charger.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:40 PM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: FirebirdCdr2

dea2287

Thanks, It was my first time painting one of my planes.
Nice looking job,,,haven't tried painting,,,you're doing good work,,,keep us updated on the Cessna,,,,got a sim?? They help alot!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.