Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:22 AM
11Hotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

I have been thinking about getting the E=flight T-34 Mentor RTF as my next plane and it also comes with the DX6i. Would I be able to change out the electronics in the cub so I could use the DX6i in both planes? Kinda more $$$ than I wanted to spend right now though.

Lately I have been trying to not just use my thumb on the stick and instead use my thumb and index finger as it gives more presice movements, but not having it return to center might be a problem. I fly everymorning before work so we will see how it goes then.
1320, per my above post, yes, you can get the Spektrum AR6000 Parkflyer Receiver and put it in your Cub. Just bind it to your Spektrum Radio and trim it out. http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM6000

Of course, you are going to have to get new servos and a new motor also.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
zestril5

You will need new servos and a new esc but you can keep your motor. The servos, receiver, and esc in the cub are all 5 wire. Don't know of anything else that uses this.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:12 AM
mesaba

I now know why people would say that using the Cub as a trainer may teach you bad habits. I'm getting pretty good with the cub so I thought I'd finally take my T-28 Trojan out for a quick simple flight - just up and down to have some fun and do something different.

Well, I took off and could NOT get my right thumb to stop acting like it had control of the rudder and elevator. I did it in my head before hand but when making the quick decisions my thumbs didn't listen to what my brain was telling them.

Long story short, my Trojan is in dire need of repair, including a new motor mount. And I now understand why somebody, not necessarily being snooty, would say that the Super Cub can teach a beginner bad habits.

Oh well. I'll stick with the Cub for a while anyway.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 AM
tumby1974

Feeling kinda down because plane seems like it doesn't want to fly anymore, and I've barely even used it! Sure, it's taken a few beatings, but mainly just cosmetic on the fuselage and wings.

For starters, when I'm holding the fuselage and I rev up the motor, it feels like it wants to "dive down". I don't recall this phenomenon when I first started using it. When I launch it doesn't get very far befor it nosedives into the ground, pulling back on my control stick doesn't help. I've noticed the propellor is scuffed on the edges, making the edges roughed up on the blade. Would that small of plastic scuffage make it nosedive? Or would it be something like propellor shaft bent? On a simple visual inspection, it looks straight.

These latest crashes will have me sidelined for a while. The battery compartment came loose again, my rudder/elevator is out of whack, and i have a gash in the fuselage. I really want to get this up and running again, but these experiences just make me want to sell the electronics or other decent parts and find a different hobby. []

I was thinking about fixing it up, then adding some weight in that tail section, so it wouldn't nosedive.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 PM
mesaba

If I recall correctly, the airplane should balance at a point about 2"-2 1/4" behind the leading edge of the wing. It that's still right on your plane, then I'd guess it's something mechanical - either the engine is not mounted straight or the elevator is out of whack. However, if it happens before you even launch it I'd guess it's the engine.

If the balance IS off, then it's more likely that something inside the plane shifted. Adding counter-weights would of course add weight which would make it tougher to fly at lower speeds - like when you're landing, so I'd vote against that. Find out what's wrong, fix it and get back in the air!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
JDawg1234

Just a quick note for the few people looking for a new transmitter.
The JR SX600 comes in two packages, the regular SX600 with four servos and a receiver and also the SX600 Ultralite which comes with two MICRO servos and a MICRO receiver, PERFECT for a cub because of the weight of the micro electronics. Its a 6-channel so it should do everything you can think of for a modded out Super Cub and every other plane until you get to helis and huge gas planes.

[link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JSP16010**[/link]

Its priced at $129.99 which for a transmitter, receiver, and two servos, its not a bad deal.
My local hobby shop quoted it to me for $109 out the door, so check with yours and maybe you can get a good offer like i have.
So if you wanted to put all this in your cub all you would need now is a new ESC, and you can get real cheap ones if you look around.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh Dear!

I highly recommend for you to seek RC airplane expert help such as at the Hobby Store "or" at the nearest RC Flying field that have experience with this model.

If I were you I would check to see any warping of the Wing Assembly such as the wing tips that might have created unwanted WASH-IN conditions in one or both wing tips. Adding weight to the Tail Boom of the FUSE assembly would create other problems for you and not necessarily solve your dives on your model.

Carlos[&o]

ORIGINAL: tumby1974

Feeling kinda down because plane seems like it doesn't want to fly anymore, and I've barely even used it! Sure, it's taken a few beatings, but mainly just cosmetic on the fuselage and wings.

For starters, when I'm holding the fuselage and I rev up the motor, it feels like it wants to "dive down". I don't recall this phenomenon when I first started using it. When I launch it doesn't get very far befor it nosedives into the ground, pulling back on my control stick doesn't help. I've noticed the propellor is scuffed on the edges, making the edges roughed up on the blade. Would that small of plastic scuffage make it nosedive? Or would it be something like propellor shaft bent? On a simple visual inspection, it looks straight.

These latest crashes will have me sidelined for a while. The battery compartment came loose again, my rudder/elevator is out of whack, and i have a gash in the fuselage. I really want to get this up and running again, but these experiences just make me want to sell the electronics or other decent parts and find a different hobby. []

I was thinking about fixing it up, then adding some weight in that tail section, so it wouldn't nosedive.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:34 PM
guapoman2000

No, it has nothing to do with the Super Cub with just Rudder and Elevator!!!

It has everything to do about obtaining good training from a Flight Instructor at a Local RC Flying Field to provide you the importance of Rudder!!! Many people go to the Hobby Store and buy a High Wing "Trainer" usually GLOW powered and perhaps 40 Size Glow like 50 - 60 Inch Wing span. These models are mostly Tricycle Landing Gear Setup and hence most of them get very little expert advise and flight training on a buddy box thereby not learning the importance of Rudder and when they go to a faster Low Wing RC Airplane model they can not handle it because most of them select a War Bird with Tail Dragger and can not seem to keep that Rudder input to keep the model Raise-Off-From-Ground and the Landings are a horrible sight. Why? Becasue they Trained with a Tricycle Landing gear setup with little feel on Rudder.

Your posting about the T-28 Trojan "Park Flyer made of Z-FOAM" is a typical misconception that you can just "JUMP" into a fully aileron RC airplane Model without getting trained by a HIGH WING Trainer with Ailerons. The T-28 Trojan is after all "is" a "SCALE" War Bird Trainer and it is a Low Wing RC airplane model that requires a little more "Airspeed" than the Super Cub.

There are many lessons that a beginner needs to learn before he/she can take adaquate control "Solo" of a higher performing T-28 Trojan and it is usually done on a HIGH WING Trainer and then, a LOW WING Trainer with or without Tricycle landing gear......such as coordinated turns with ailerons & rudder (Without the use of a Computer Radio that can be programmed with this in mind and using one control stick) having both sticks to be mastered without the aid of any Computer Radio, Cross wind Landings and approaches using Side Slip skills, Touch & Goes (Not slam and Goes!!) and many many other skills. At some RC Clubs they would not allow you to fly "SOLO" without a buddy box until these skills are witness by the LEAD instructor and perhaps the President of the RC CLub.

The fact that I might agree with you on the fact that the Hobby Zone Super Cub can be flown in many cases successfully in a SOLO effort is what I say that this is not true with any "other" type of model and seeking assistance by an expert RC Airplane Flyer with a HIGH WING Trainer is practically a must.

Happy landings!!!
Carlos[:@]

ORIGINAL: mesaba

I now know why people would say that using the Cub as a trainer may teach you bad habits. I'm getting pretty good with the cub so I thought I'd finally take my T-28 Trojan out for a quick simple flight - just up and down to have some fun and do something different.

Well, I took off and could NOT get my right thumb to stop acting like it had control of the rudder and elevator. I did it in my head before hand but when making the quick decisions my thumbs didn't listen to what my brain was telling them.

Long story short, my Trojan is in dire need of repair, including a new motor mount. And I now understand why somebody, not necessarily being snooty, would say that the Super Cub can teach a beginner bad habits.

Oh well. I'll stick with the Cub for a while anyway.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: JDawg1234

The JR SX600 comes in two packages, the regular SX600 with four servos and a receiver and also the SX600 Ultralite which comes with two MICRO servos and a MICRO receiver, PERFECT for a cub because of the weight of the micro electronics. Its a 6-channel so it should do everything you can think of for a modded out Super Cub and every other plane until you get to helis and huge gas planes.

[link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JSP16010**[/link]

Its priced at $129.99 which for a transmitter, receiver, and two servos, its not a bad deal.
My local hobby shop quoted it to me for $109 out the door, so check with yours and maybe you can get a good offer like i have.
So if you wanted to put all this in your cub all you would need now is a new ESC, and you can get real cheap ones if you look around.

I think I am going to jump on this, Even if at $129.00 I think its a good deal. I flew this morning with my "floppy controller" and it was a royal PITA.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:25 PM
guapoman2000

Good deal???[:-]

How about this.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-SPORT-SX600-U...d=p3286.c0.m14

and if you really do not need a computer Radio.....the Quattro 4-Channel non-Computer Transmitte by JR is rock solid!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-QUATTRO-FM-ra...d=p3286.c0.m14

Assuming you all are really looking for rock bottom deals!!![:@]

I think I am going to jump on this, Even if at $129.00 I think its a good deal. I flew this morning with my "floppy controller" and it was a royal PITA.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:33 PM
guapoman2000

The only Receivers that I use on my future models are Castle Creations BERG DSP receivers!!!

http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=39

for better deals go to eBay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Castle-Creations...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

The only Receivers that I use on my future models are Castle Creations BERG DSP receivers!!!

I am so confident on the BERG receivers that I just ordered two more!!! A BERG 7-Channel for my large Glow-to-Electric Sportsman Aviation Corsair with retracts and Models Motors AXI 4130 series outrunner and another 4-Channel for a park flyer.

Just take a look at the picture! They have 5% discounts for Fathers Day sale and FREE SHIPPING!!!! @ Bishop Power Products!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30962.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	971979  
Old 06-16-2008, 07:49 PM
barlowe

I am so confident on the BERG receivers that I just ordered two more!!! A BERG 7-Channel for my large Glow-to-Electric Sportsman Aviation Corsair with retracts and Models Motors AXI 4130 series outrunner and another 4-Channel for a park flyer.

Just take a look at the picture! They have 5% discounts for Fathers Day sale and FREE SHIPPING!!!!
Where can I see the Berg receivers?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
1320Fastback

Good deal???[:-]

How about this.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-SPORT-SX600-U...d=p3286.c0.m14

and if you really do not need a computer Radio.....the Quattro 4-Channel non-Computer Transmitte by JR is rock solid!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-QUATTRO-FM-ra...d=p3286.c0.m14

Assuming you all are really looking for rock bottom deals!!![:@]

Holly molly batman, I am going to buy that now! Thanks guapoman2000
Old 06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
guapoman2000

Huh?[]

See? Perhaps here, Castle Creations in good O'l US of A!

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/berg.html

ORIGINAL: barlowe

Just take a look at the picture! They have 5% discounts for Fathers Day sale and FREE SHIPPING!!!!
Where can I see the Berg receivers?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:27 PM
guapoman2000

Holly molly batman, I am going to buy that now! Thanks guapoman2000
Yeah! Bishop Power Products (B-P-P) dot com is a very good Internet Store and I have ordered many items from them.

Good Luck!
Carlos
Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 PM
JDawg1234

1320Fastback,
As soon as you get that and get it installed and take it out a few times PLEASE let us know how it is. I really want that particular model and some good feedback from ya might be all i need to go ahead and push me over the edge and make me get it.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 PM
1320Fastback

1320Fastback,
As soon as you get that and get it installed and take it out a few times PLEASE let us know how it is. I really want that particular model and some good feedback from ya might be all i need to go ahead and push me over the edge and make me get it.

I bought it after the earlier post with a battery charger also. I was confused about what all I need to change in the plane and now that I have researched it a little more I am TOTALLY confused.

It comes with: SX600 6-Channel Transmitter, RS6UL 6-Channel Micro Receiver, Two (2) SM22 Sub-Micro (9 grams, 22 oz/in Torque) Servos, and the TX battery.

So I need to change the ESC right? And it plugs into the receiver? Which one should I buy?

What about a BEC? Do I have one or need one?

Is there anything else that needs to change?

Sorry for all the newb questions but this is all new to me
Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 AM
scottware
My Feedback: (5)

In response to tumby1974:
>>>I've noticed the propeller is scuffed on the edges, making the edges roughed up on the blade.
>>Would that small of plastic scuffage make it nosedive?Or would it be something like propeller shaft bent? On a simple visual inspection, it looks straight.

If it's scratched, scuffed and out of balance your thrust will be affected greatly and the possible cause that you are not getting enough airspeed to climb out. Is there a lot of vibration near the nose? It should spin smoothly and pull firmly when you throttle up while holding it.

The COG is key also like meseba pointed out. Check the rudder/stabilizer linkages and that both control surfaces return to the neutral position when you take your thumb off the stick.

Motors and batteries can degrade slowly and unnoticeably. Maybe you have a buddy with a good flying Super Cub you could bench test yours next to.

Good luck!

Scott
www.TheXPortZone.com
Hobbyzone/Parkzone Accessories and Upgrades
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM
turok007

could anyone tell me what after market escS are being used. as with the stock setup i did get 45 mins on a 2200 lipo. but i have gone over to 2.4mhz with a GWS esc and it has killed 2 lipos with only a 10 min flight. im still using the same motor and prop
Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 PM
11Hotel

What size GWS ESC do you have? It's possible that the stock prop (10x8) is pulling too many amps and causing your ESC to deliver a death blow to your LiPo.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 PM
JDawg1234

1320Fastback,
Its real simple, research what im about to tell you, but im sure that im right and maybe someone will confirm it. First disconnect the motor from the stock ESC as close to the ESC as you can so you have lots of wire. Buy a new ESC, a cheapy one will work, my local hobby shop sells some for $13. Connect it to the wires from the motor and then the new ESC will connect to the receiver you just purchased. As for the servos, you will need to take out the stock ones as they will not work, place the new ones in their place and plug them into the new receiver, you will have to play with which servo plugs into which slot because im not sure if they are labeled on micro receivers because of their size. Then you will need to put on some connectors for the battery, i suggest deans plugs, they are the best. I honestly cant tell you if the stock batteries will power all of the new stuff, it may or may not. After researching and talking to several people, a 3-Cell 2100 LiPO seems to be the best way to go for the stock motor, you can run it about 10-15 seconds full throttle without damaging the motor, after those few seconds half throttle will be the way to go. If you switch over to the LiPO you will need cut out the battery compartment a little to make room for it. As for relocating the new components in the fuselage, i think to velcro them to the inside wall, one on each side, is the best way to go. Hope i didnt miss anything, and if i did hopefully someone will add to it or correct a mistake i might have made, good luck and i hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:27 PM
1320Fastback

Thanks JDawg I will call the LHS for the ESC. I figured everything will be replaced (except the motor) and I am comfortable in doing that I just am/was unsure what else I needed to get the bird back in the air.
So other than the control rods to the rudder and elevator, and the motor and wiring leads everthing else is trash correct.

I assume I will have to check and adjust the CG.

I wonder if I should add ailerons while I'm in there?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:41 PM
mark cub

does anybody have an idea which suze prop works the best ive been using a 12/6 slow flyer , but i also modfide the cub to 480 and cut in elierons . which i highly suggest to anybody whos flying a cub it gives you elieron practice with the same easy to fix cub careristics. thinking flaps but it floats in now doesnt seam needed
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 AM
JDawg1234

So other than the control rods to the rudder and elevator, and the motor and wiring leads everthing else is trash correct.
That is correct, might as well take out the ACT sensors while your tearing everything down, they were useless before and now they are extremely useless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.