Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:01 PM
DepronJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

ORIGINAL: Maine_Flyer

question for Ray(or anyone that can answer), I have the ducted fan unit you mentioned in the last thread, have it mounted and running on a stryker fuse.. it's pulling 33 amps on 3s and I want to knock it down some.. are you running 3 of the 6 blades on yours? how do you remove the rotor to cut off the blades if I choose to? .. nice little unit.. I mounted it into a A-10 nacelle for a 55mm fan and strapped 'er on to a stock beefed up motor mount. it goes nice and smooth aprox. 50-60 MPH on 3s didn't dare try 4s with the amp draw I was getting on 3s. thanks for any help you can provide.

http://www.himodel.com/plane/Ξ¦55Γ—H...r_2409H-7T.php

there is a small hole on the side of the EDF but beware.. there is 2 notches in the hub of the blade !

i fiddled on for 5 mins trying to get the allen key to mate up with the grub screw before i realized it was the dummy notch i was putting the allen key into ![&o]

if you are running 3S in a sleek machine there is no need to cut 3 blades off,
but if you have lots of drag then its an absolute must to cut them off otherwise the amps are too high

on the Venturie its pulling 26 amps once the voltage settles but thats because the Nacelle is specifically designed for this EDF and the airflow is delflected/directed into the sweep of the blade for max effciency ,

at a guess i would say i am getting about 75-80 mph,

the only thing i noticed was it doesnt seem to pick up speed in a dive[&:]
maybe thats an EDF thing or.. maybe the airframe is a terminal velocity and can't do any more regardless of how much power i put in !
further flight test will prove that one way or the other WHEN THE BLIDDY WIND DROPS ! [&o] [&o]

hope this helps Ya
Old 11-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Buggygovroom

Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

ORIGINAL: Bender101

ORIGINAL: Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: Mach62

Do any of you guys have links to crazy fast 100 plus MPH Strykers?

I have only seen Buggygovroom's 120mph set up on youtube so far.
One crazy fast vid coming right up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OKaRnhg3JkQ

Dinner is served.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:20 PM
DepronJet

While I am waiting for my Crazy Mega 16/25/3, 70amp, 6S setup to arrive, I wondered how high I could take the Stryker. I flew it out of sight for a second or two and think I may have hit 1000ft altitude. With Binoculars I plan to take it 3000 ft in my next video. Here is the first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5PcRrZ9bM8
i always tend to think your model is higher than you actually think [X(]

for instance.. we all know how big the Moon is dont we?

so here is a question for you !

if you look at the moon and place your arm at full length and place your fingers as if you were holding the Moon between your finger and thumb would it be like you were holding a tennis ball?
or a Golf Ball?
or a sweet corn kerrnell/ pea ?

try it for yourself you will be suprised !

as to hight.. i once went really high and cut the motor and the sound didnt stop for well over 3 seconds,

and as sound travels at 1000 feet per second (dependant on air pressure and altitude i think its safe to say it was over 3000 feet and i didnt need binoculars [8D]

for some reason your eye and mind fine tunes to distance [8D]

Twas a Brill day of blue sky's and incredible visability both horizontally and vertically,

Ray
Old 11-23-2006, 12:37 PM
lucky9910
My Feedback: (27)

Guys, i 'm looking for onger flight time. SHould i use a 4200mah lipo or will that be to heavy?
Old 11-23-2006, 12:38 PM
lucky9910
My Feedback: (27)

Longer flight time
Old 11-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: Bender101

Do any of you guys have links to crazy fast 100 plus MPH Strykers?

I have only seen Buggygovroom's 120mph set up on youtube so far.
One crazy fast vid coming right up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OKaRnhg3JkQ

Dinner is served.
That stryker is sitting right now with no gear in it. Trying the whole setup in a slightly smaller more aerodynamic plane. Im out of micro servo horns so im stuck till the weekend. Everything is closed for the holiday.

Im going to get more video of the stryker soon. No worries
Old 11-23-2006, 01:37 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

While I am waiting for my Crazy Mega 16/25/3, 70amp, 6S setup to arrive
Nice! That's a hot set up.

, I wondered how high I could take the Stryker. I flew it out of sight for a second or two and think I may have hit 1000ft altitude. With Binoculars I plan to take it 3000 ft in my next video. Here is the first

I have a mountaineering watch with an altimeter... pondering putting that in my stryker and climbing, though I need to do some kinda graphics on the bottom to make it more discernible from the top. Beige was not a really good color to paint it for ID against the sky... specially in overcast.

somegeek
Old 11-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Mach62

Love the super sonic Strykers. Fastest I have got on Doppler was 137KM per hour with bit of a tail wind. Hope to break the 100 mark with the 16/25/3 on as many cells as I can stuff in the fuse.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Maine_Flyer

thanks Ray, after some bench test today I'm pretty sure I fried a curcuit in the motor..yesterday, it started out drawing 33 amps on 3s and ran fine for 3-4 flights then it started acting up and I thought the ESC wasn't enough, so today I put a 40 amp ESC in it but then it had hard errors and was acting like a short.. put the wattmeter on it and sure enough three clicks of throttle yielded 25 amps and one more click it would kick out in a millisecond and the wattmeter told the story, 72 amps/ 850 watts!!! I'd call that a short in the windings!! looks like I'm sending her back for replacement.. that should have never happened if it was up to par from the beginning.. never even got to try it on 4s[&o] ... motor was over-reving big time.. sure sign of a short or weak winding.. strike one for my first ducted far attempt..

thanks for your help
Old 11-23-2006, 05:12 PM
DepronJet

dont give up on that type of EDF,

sounds like it was a DOA and you put the last nail in the lid [&o]

i only bought one of these and its now in my Version 3 Venturie [X(]

its been Crashed Bashed Smashed and Abused and its still working !

pics below

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92950.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	565552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18369.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	565553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41983.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	565554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18304.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	565555  
Old 11-23-2006, 05:12 PM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: DepronJet

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Lord Hunter, passing on the reigns I see. Well It looks to be in good hands. Just make sure you stick around like the other ELDERS, and keep tabs on the new ones.
Somegeek, Gryphon, best of luck with the new and old troops.
we are watching and reading

sometime we post and other times we read and Learn Too [8D]

Critter me thinks parkzone will modify the stryker and do lots of upgrades that the Stryker dudes invented in the first place

Ray

Ray, I think in a way they already have by releasing the F27C, both in a ready to fly unit and a plug in play. I'm willing to bet they saw the popularity of these birds being macked out with brushless motors and figured to cash in on it. I'm also glad they have continued to improve their planes with little tweaks here and there. A prime example would be the hood scoop and new motor mount. Also bet they ditch the old motor mount and use the new one for the 27B birds as well.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Buggygovroom

Love the super sonic Strykers. Fastest I have got on Doppler was 137KM per hour with bit of a tail wind. Hope to break the 100 mark with the 16/25/3 on as many cells as I can stuff in the fuse.
6 cells should get you there. I added smaller light ply vertical fins after running 6s. It was very nose heavy with the stock foam fins on the back. The smaller wood fins seemed to work better anyway. Put a heat sink on that motor when you run 6. It will get hot without it.

I hit 120 on an almost dead 6s pack with a 6x5.5 on that motor. Amps were 50 ish static. I was ready to try a 6.5x6.5 on 6 but removed the equipment for a bae hawk. If the hawk sucks im putting everything back in the stryker and adding an 80 amp speedo. Or getting a 2 turn mega and getting a high voltage 125 amp speedo and see what kind of speeds that will get me if I can get a battery with decent capacity that will handle higher amps and not be to heavy. Im sure its out there but one that will give me 10-15 minutes of run time that wont be to heavy is the goal.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:29 PM
critterhunter

While I am waiting for my Crazy Mega 16/25/3, 70amp, 6S setup to arrive, I wondered how high I could take the Stryker. I flew it out of sight for a second or two and think I may have hit 1000ft altitude. With Binoculars I plan to take it 3000 ft in my next video. Here is the first

Just make sure you do it on a clear day with no clouds in the sky. This past summer I had converted an Aerobird Extreme over to standard electronics. After some tweaking I finaly got her to fly great. One lazy summer day in the country I was climbing her as far as I could see and then killing the motor and cranking up the climb trim to glide around as long as I could. When the plane got too low, which took several long minutes as it glides great with that huge wing, I would fire up the motor and get her as high as I dared again.

I hadn't noticed a cloud mass moving into the area which promply covered the plane. I cranked the throttle to full dive and hard right and held it there for several minutes but I never saw the plane again. Luckily I was at a friend's very large and remote property where it could only have landed in the woods or surrounding fields. What really killed me wasn't losing the plane, it was the two brand new HS81s servos, JR 6 channel RX, and 50 am brushed speed control (was running the stock 540 motor). The brand new 3300ma Sub C 6 cell pack I had just made also didn't make me feel any better.

Well, that plane, two friends Challengers, and a Scout are also resting in the woods out there somewhere. I'm in the process of building a homemade foam plane that is being specificly designed just for aerial video. I plan to use it to search for those lost soldiers. Going to run a 5100M Aiptek pocket camcorder in it's belly, a 1.2ghz 800mw wireless camera, and try out a 2 watt 2.4ghz wireless setup in it as well. Fuse is 4" thick foam to really protect the setups. However, I decided today that I want to add another 10" to the 36" wing to really make it a floater for good lift. This is also going to require me extend the fuse to about 37" long. So, I hate to do it but I'm going to scrap that fuse and start fresh.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:33 PM
critterhunter

the only thing i noticed was it doesnt seem to pick up speed in a dive[&:]
maybe thats an EDF thing or.. maybe the airframe is a terminal velocity and can't do any more regardless of how much power i put in !
further flight test will prove that one way or the other WHEN THE BLIDDY WIND DROPS ! [&o] [&o]

hope this helps Ya
Ray, perhaps the EDF reaches a point in velocity where it can no longer vent air out faster than it's coming in? Seems to me that would be like putting on the air brakes.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:53 PM
critterhunter

We all need reminded once in a while that center of gravity is probably even more important than trim. Yesterday I needed a refresher in that lesson. A nose heavy plane can fly well with a little climb trim. In fact, I generaly prefer to build my planes too nose heavy to compensate for anything shifting or repairs that may shift COG further towards that tail without me knowing it. However, a tail heavy plane usually is soon out of control as the plane no longer wants to ride on the wing but rather stand on it's tail. If the tail heavy condition isn't too bad you can some times quickly compensate by adjusting the trim to force the plane to dive some. The trim forcing the nose down can keep enough air going the right way under the wing to keep it stabile, but usually only at full throttle. In a pinch it'll help you gain some control of the plane to bring it back for a landing.

Anyway, yesterday I went out to maiden my new homemade foamie Mustang. Running the 12T motor on a 9x4.5 APC E prop. I checked the COG in the field and to my dismay somehow the plane was a good half an inch tail heavy at the COG mark. I forced the battery as far forward as I could in it's chamber but it was still tail heavy. Well, rather than doing the smart thing and giving it a quick field fix by adding a weight to the nose, I figured I'd see if it would fly. The plane was soon out of control but I managed a decent and lucky landing.

So, do I stick some weight on the nose? No, I figured I'd try to compensate with the elevator trim adjusted to force the nose down. Another launch and she is a little more in control but still in bad trouble. Doing things like standing on it's tail, fluttering down like a butterfly, rolling over, etc. No amount of trim or trying various motor speeds would give me any better control over it. This time I wasn't going to be so lucky with my landing. The plane snaps completely in half near the front of the wing where the 2" fuse foam was thinnest due to the wing channel and battery chamber I had hollowed out. The good news is it's a clean break and I should be able to glue it back together with no problem. All electronics and motor are fine too.

So, lesson re-learned, and I'll take this moment to remind any newbies that a tail heavy plane, including the Stryker, is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Mach62

I've been at this hobby only a few months and with all the things I have lost to oblivion . . . Someday some caveman will find a lipo and rediscover fire with it. . . Long live the STRYKER!
Old 11-24-2006, 02:27 AM
DepronJet

So, lesson re-learned, and I'll take this moment to remind any newbies that a tail heavy plane, including the Stryker, is a disaster waiting to happen.
and if the wing is narrow the more precise the CofG needs to be
Old 11-24-2006, 02:39 AM
Buggygovroom

and if the wing is narrow the more precise the CofG needs to be
GREAT! Im going to have to tow my bae hawk with a corvette now to get it in the air because of all the weight I have to add to the nose. I'll go make a "Lawndart 1" stencil and spray the side now. It will make for good video. Looks like my stryker will be getting its gear back soon

Old 11-24-2006, 09:09 AM
XH2OMANN

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Lord Hunter, passing on the reigns I see. Well It looks to be in good hands. Just make sure you stick around like the other ELDERS, and keep tabs on the new ones.
Somegeek, Gryphon, best of luck with the new and old troops.
we are watching and reading

sometime we post and other times we read and Learn Too [8D]

Critter me thinks parkzone will modify the stryker and do lots of upgrades that the Stryker dudes invented in the first place

Ray

They already have f 27 C
Old 11-24-2006, 10:39 AM
DepronJet

GREAT! Im going to have to tow my bae hawk with a corvette now to get it in the air because of all the weight I have to add to the nose. I'll go make a "Lawndart 1" stencil and spray the side now. It will make for good video. Looks like my stryker will be getting its gear back soon
if its one of my Hawks and you use the suggested cofg then you have a good half inch to play with
if its an ultrafly hawk then DO NOT go further back than their sugested cofg unless you like to fly a Kangaroo on Speed !

get that Pack as far forward as possib;e

Ray
Old 11-24-2006, 12:25 PM
DepronJet

They already have f 27 C
but it never looked like this....

MMuuUghAhahahhhh

Gawd.. i dont know what came over me there for a moment !!!

ok Chaps.. Mid Nacelle? or Pod/top Nacelle?

speak Now or forever hold your tounge !

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70445.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	565844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33805.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	565845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34194.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	565846  
Old 11-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Buggygovroom

if its one of my Hawks and you use the suggested cofg then you have a good half inch to play with
if its an ultrafly hawk then DO NOT go further back than their sugested cofg unless you like to fly a Kangaroo on Speed !

get that Pack as far forward as possib;e

Ray
It is a uf hawk. The book said 80-85mm so i put it about 82mm. I had to hollow out the nose section ahead of the first canopy magnet to the lip of the front of the canopy to fit my pack in. The origional battery bay only has some small stuff in it now. I still have a few things to put together untill it gets maidened so maybe this weekend it will be up in the air.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:07 PM
DepronJet

It is a uf hawk. The book said 80-85mm so i put it about 82mm. I had to hollow out the nose section ahead of the first canopy magnet to the lip of the front of the canopy to fit my pack in. The origional battery bay only has some small stuff in it now. I still have a few things to put together untill it gets maidened so maybe this weekend it will be up in the air.
The UF hawk has elevators and small elevators too ! thats is why the Ciof G is so critiacal,
my Hawk has an full moving Tail

the UF hawk needs to be lanched flat and level and ready to feed in Up quickly once its up to speed!
but on the up side you can buy one of these...

http://media.putfile.com/Hawk-Uncut

Old 11-24-2006, 03:15 PM
DepronJet

[quote]ORIGINAL: DepronJet

The UF hawk has elevators and small elevators too ! thats is why the Ciof G is so critiacal,
my Hawk has an full moving Tail

the UF hawk needs to be lanched flat and level and ready to feed in Up quickly once its up to speed!
but on the up side you can buy one of these...

http://media.putfile.com/Hawk-Uncut

quote]

anyone up to do a doppler shift test on the Hawk ?
anyone who knows how to do it please feel free to take the last clip of the movie and do as doppler shift speed check and post results

what ever you post then i will not contend your results

all i know is it feels fast enough for me

Ray

Old 11-24-2006, 03:31 PM
XH2OMANN

Wow thats cool!!! How do I get one? How much?

They already have f 27 C
but it never looked like this....

MMuuUghAhahahhhh

Gawd.. i dont know what came over me there for a moment !!!

ok Chaps.. Mid Nacelle? or Pod/top Nacelle?

speak Now or forever hold your tounge !

Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.