Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 AM
kereams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

How long does it take most of you to charge the 1800mAH pack with the included charger? I set mine for about 1.6a and it takes over two hours. The pack started at about 3.3V per cell. At just under 1C charging....shouldn't it only take an hour? Maybe 1.5 hours with balancing??
Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 AM
iheartmpls

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the battery compartment? I'd like to use a TP 2200mah 3s lipo, and I'm wondering if it would fit in the stock compartment. Also, does the ESC use a Dean's connector?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Bigtone

The battery compartment is big enough for a 3s 2200mah lipo. If you look [link=http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/parkzone_trojanrtf_optional/]here[/link] you will see that the parkzone upgrade option for the plane is a 3s 2200mah lipo. The battery compartment is not like your normal setup and the plug is the blue e-flite. The battery slides into a bridge like square cut out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11917.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	797475  
Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
iheartmpls

Hey Bigtone - thanks for the info and quick reply! I also took a look at your video of the t-28 in flight... do you have any more video with the new paint job? Have you kept the stock battery, or have you upgraded to a 2200mah?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 AM
cjg

A few questions on T-28 RTR:

What is the phone jack like plug on the left side of the transmitter (the right side is charger jack)?

What is the momentary contact flip switch on the upper left of the transmitter for?

Does anyone know the type of balance charging plug on the stock battery and charger? Is it thunderpower, polyquest, etc???

What 2200mah battery are you folks using? Where can you get the proper blue plug, or did you swtich to deans?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: iheartmpls

Hey Bigtone - thanks for the info and quick reply! I also took a look at your video of the t-28 in flight... do you have any more video with the new paint job? Have you kept the stock battery, or have you upgraded to a 2200mah?

Thanks.
I haven't been able to make another vid yet but, I mite do a small one to show how the flaps work. I still use the stock 1800mah 3s battery, I'm happy with it still. I mite change to 2200mah after I get board with the 1800mah.

ORIGINAL: cjg

What is the phone jack like plug on the left side of the transmitter (the right side is charger jack)?

What is the momentary contact flip switch on the upper left of the transmitter for?

Where can you get the proper blue plug, or did you swtich to deans?
I think one of them mite be a spot for a trainer cord, that could be what's the swicth is for on the top left. It could even be for future flight sim software. I switched over to the deans plug from the start of the build. It makes it easy when you buy a new battery that has the plug on it already.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 AM
kereams

Does anyone know the type of balance charging plug on the stock battery and charger? Is it thunderpower, polyquest, etc???

What 2200mah battery are you folks using? Where can you get the proper blue plug, or did you swtich to deans?
Flip switch is the 5th channel. Gear, whatever. You'll see the fifth port on the Rx.
The balancing plug is standard polarity JST/molex series 4 pin with 2.5mm pin spacing. It is not the same as TP.
The blue plug is standard E-Flite affair and any Hobby Shop that carries e-flite/Park Zone will have pigtails that match so you can use them on other batteries.

Cheers
Old 11-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: kereams

Flip switch is the 5th channel. Gear, whatever. You'll see the fifth port on the Rx.

Cheers
He's talking about the top switch on the left. Not the gear/flap option switch on the top right.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 AM
kereams

He's talking about the top switch on the left. Not the gear/flap option switch on the top right.
Oops. My bad. I'm with your....I think there's the possibility the switch/plug in question are trainer port/sim type setups.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
cjg

The balancing plug is standard polarity JST/molex series 4 pin with 2.5mm pin spacing. It is not the same as TP.
The blue plug is standard E-Flite affair and any Hobby Shop that carries e-flite/Park Zone will have pigtails that match so you can use them on other batteries.

Cheers
Thanks for the plug information. I will need that when ordering batts from a non stock source.

Any idea what the phone like jack is for, is that a trainer port?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 PM
kereams

Can someone post their CG information if you've done the calcs or spoken with someone at Horizon, etc..

I have been flying without the gear and the plane seems very nose lite. I am having to add quite a bit of down elevator trim. Thanks!!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 PM
wingnut65

Hey ! Realflight G3.5 swap pages has a Parkzone T-28 Trojan for download ! It flys just like the real thing !!!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Bigtone

I have been flying without the gear and the plane seems very nose lite. I am having to add quite a bit of down elevator trim.
That's normal with alot of planes that are tested and released with landing gear. When there's alot of drag removed from an airframe, it causes more speed and lift from the flat bottom wing. I seen in a post, someone put, 2" from trailing egde for the CG. I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:07 AM
RCHubbub

ORIGINAL: Bigtone

I have been flying without the gear and the plane seems very nose lite. I am having to add quite a bit of down elevator trim.
That's normal with alot of planes that are tested and released with landing gear. When there's alot of drag removed from an airframe, it causes more speed and lift from the flat bottom wing. I seen in a post, someone put, 2" from trailing egde for the CG. I haven't had a chance to give it a try yet.
I'm pretty sure they must have meant 2" from the leading edge.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:16 AM
kereams

ORIGINAL: wingnut65

Hey ! Realflight G3.5 swap pages has a Parkzone T-28 Trojan for download ! It flys just like the real thing !!!
I couldn't find it on Knife Edge. Got a link? Cheers
Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: RCHubbub

I'm pretty sure they must have meant 2" from the leading edge.
your right[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
tcarp

Anyone here flying in Collierville, TN just off Schilling blvd?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM
zzz12

Hello all just got my T-28 Trojan today Put the battery on Li-po It takes a long time to get a full battery 2hours . Help is that the time it takes for this bird. [X(]
Old 11-07-2007, 01:20 PM
kereams

About what I am seeing set at 1.75A on the 1800Mah battery.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
dszlez

I waited too long. Red Rocket Hobbies dropped their free shipping on the T-28. Does anyone know of another internet site that would at least offer the free shipping ???
Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 PM
tcarp

www.diversionhobbies.com
Old 11-10-2007, 09:42 AM
cjg

I have about a dozen flights on now after owning it for 2 weekends. After upgrading from my Supercub I at first thought this plane a handful. Now I'm past the white knuckle to the slightly on edge state of flying. This plane is very nice!

I did my first successful aileron rolls last night without losing altitude (after a few close calls last weekend). I talked to a 1:1 pilot at work and he gave me the answer - add a little up elevator during the roll. Worked perfectly to drill holes in the sky.

Overall I'm glad I got this as my second plane. The bystanders walking near the park always come over to talk about it.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Bigtone

When you get the hang of it, try a slow roll. You will have to use elevator, rudder, aileron to keep it level in flight. When I first did a level slow roll with this plane, that was the start of a new realm.

ESC and Motor Bad News!!!!

I was flying my plane last week and when it was close to the low voltage cutoff, my motor started to shutter. I then came in for a landing without thinking anything was wrong. I took the plane out yesturday and whille doing the precheck all controlls worked but, the throttle wasn't there. I then took the canopy off and checked the plugs and battery and all seemed well. I tried throttle again and a cracking sound came from the front of the plane. I then smelt smoke and quickly unplugged the battery. I came home and and turned on the video camera and took the plane's motor and ESC out. I tested them while them outside of the plane, soon after the motor caught on fire and ESC started to smoke. So, I have all this on video, I Just need to upload the video. I will post later.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:03 PM
kereams

Bigtone,

I had the same thing happen minus the fire! Damn dude I can not wait to see that video! Glad everyone is safe and the plane is in one piece. If my experience is any indication Horizon will take care of you....

My happenings: Firs bird died a death of impalement into the ground due to the BEC dieing. Second plane the ESC fried during the initial flight after two minutes, the servo's would shutter. The LHS replaced it with the same E-Flite but one directly from E-Flight off the parts wall. The third incident was no throttle response, just as you indicated. Servo action but no go stick. We found out that the stock receiver was not passing voltage to the ESC any more on the throttle signal wire. I made them replace the ESC again (just in case) and give me credit on a DX6/AR6000 for the stock ZX10 radio parts. Now with the new ESC and AR6000 I've got dozens of flights with great success.

Here's my theory:
The ZX10 Rx can fry the BEC in the ESC due to voltage issues. I think the result of this can be a domino and take out the whole ESC.
The 25A E-Flite ESC used in the T-28 is slightly different than the off the shelf version. I believe they are 2nd's or ones that did not go through the same quality checks in an attempt to save money.
The 25A E-Flite ESC is actually a pretty good unit and most "direct E-Flite" purchased ones have had very strong success rates. I've searched/talked and discovered quite a bit of happy customers.

Between this thread, another here on RCU, two at RCG and one at WF I have developed the above theory and peoples experiences have reinforced it. My question to you is are you using the ZX10? Is your ESC the stock Parkzone version?

Cheers,
Keith
Old 11-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Dragonfueled

oh man im up to 15 batteries through mine and im waiting for the time bomb lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.