Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 AM
buzzbait00
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

ORIGINAL: Airbourne in Japan

oh no, hobby lobby are doing 6 planes in their crash sale tomorrow, all $69. that means i have to buy some, where are they gonna go ? i'm thinking a couple of profile wooden planes plus maybe the leader http://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Campaig...21cabe3ab663ab
How much do ya think shipping would be?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hey guys, Thanks for the kudos and advice on the moth.

Here is the question of the morning, Why can't I turn the limiting rods on my cg machine to the rear to balance the moth on the le of the lower wing?

Doug, I bought over 8oz of lead.

Tim
Old 05-21-2008, 08:47 AM
patnchris

mr dakota,

Okay, if you really need to know. My third attempt at building the GWS Tiger Moth was going to be perfect. I’d learned a lot about balance and the weak points of the plane. That being said it was also the plane I learned to fly ailerons on. So eventually it got pretty beat up. Using what I’d learned with the first two I was going to make this foam plane structurally sound and pretty.
First, I decided that the rough surface of the foam added drag and was also not pretty. I’d read a a lot of threads about glassing foam using water based poly as a binder and had experimented with it. It seemed like the answer. I sanded all the components super smooth and laminated them with ½ oz glass cloth, using water based poly as a binder. I’d also read that you could use multiple coats of poly to build up the surface so it could be made glass smooth. After 4-5 coats and sanding in between, I found that this was not exactly true. But it was fairly smooth. I also replaced the wooden dowel they used for a lower wing stiffener with a carbon fiber rod that reached all the way to the wing tips. The smoothing process made this almost invisible. Next I assembled the fuse and tail feathers using almos no epoxy. (epoxy adds weight). Then I airbrushed the entire plane with water based yellow paint. Several coats later and it was a beauty to behold. I used the moter technique described in the other post to get tha balance right and install the Pulse landing gear, salvaged from the other Tiggie. All was going according to plan. Some decals and paint detail and she was ready to fly. I’d built in numerous mods, during the build, addressing weak points I’d found on earlier versions and THIS Tiger Moth was perfect….It was going to be great. I installed the electronics from the previous Tiggie and in balanced perfectly.
Off to the field, I went…..Maiden ready, set, throttle up and………THE THING RAN OUT ABOUT 100 FT OF RUNWAY BEFORE LIFTING OFF…..I COULD BEARLY KEEP IT IN THE AIR!!!!!…..I landed it shortly after trimming, thinking that, possibly, I’d forgotten to charge the battery. I installed a second pack and the results were the same as the first……disappointed…..I packed it up and headed for home.
When I got home, I decided to weight the finished plane….HOLY COW!!!….IT WAS OVER 2 LBS….the Park 400 wasn’t going to fly this plane!!!…What to do????….Remove it and install a Park 450…..Packs would be an issue as the 3S 1320ma would get short flight times, but I’d figure that out later…..Off to the field again…..
Repeat the maiden….This time it was off the ground in a respectable 20 ft…..however, I was now getting a lesson in WING LOADING….The plane flew ok….IF IT WAS A P-51 MUSTANG….The only to keep it in the air was to fly it fast…..REALLY FAST….Everything that caused me to luv this plane, was gone…..OH WELL….IT WAS STILL PRETTY!!….I decided I would live with it…..Two flights later, doing roll to a loop, something happened…..I saw a chunk of something floating to the ground….and the plane went into a death spiral….The load on the top wig was too much and it broke the top wing into 3 pieces, with the two outer pieces still connected to the bottom wing and the center section completely gone……It was literally tearing itself apart in the air and finally the ground finished the job….
LESSON LEARNED…………..GWS foamies fly good, stock…..Adding a brushless motor makes them fly a lot better….extreme mods and/or trying to “reinvent the wheel†just creates problems that in many cases cannot be corrected!!!!!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Airbourne in Japan

oh no, hobby lobby are doing 6 planes in their crash sale tomorrow, all $69. that means i have to buy some, where are they gonna go ? i'm thinking a couple of profile wooden planes plus maybe the leader http://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Campaig...21cabe3ab663ab
Doug;

In the Badius Boys tradition of giving.........

I would be glad to store planes for you at my place.

Less shipping, I will build them for you (to relieve you of that burden), and I will even test fly them (and give you a flight report).

Just a thought

Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Loubud

Geez Doug,
That crash sale had a plane I liked but had to pass. Excellent sale. I forget which plane it was and I'm not going back to see it again. It'll never get built.
Disneyworld eh? You're here anyway so you should go. Heat or no heat.

Good Tiger Moth stories. I've got one in pieces that Brat gave me in one of his giveaways. It's a mess. I don't know the brand but it came with a wimpy brushed/geared motor. One of the years I might mess with it or just give it away.

Fern,
Lookin good.

AJ,
You sound like you're in good shape for a few years.
Actually my theory isn't really a theory at all. I worked with a guy that this happened to. Poor guy was moving about every 2 or 3 years.
There was a group of us, 5 or 6 guys, that would spend a weekend once a month working on a project at someones house. New deck, new wall, retaining walls, additions and misc. I never was good at this stuff so I was just labor. We finally gave up on this as that one guy always had a new project to do and he stopped asking for help.
He finally moved away but this kept on happening for a bunch of years. He finally did the right thing. Dumped the beach.
He's now a happy camper in N. CA somewhere.

Kate,
Nice job. Hurry up so I can steal your spare time. I have to pick your brain.
Is the new job going ok?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

I see Ken getting a new airplane at least out of this. I know how he works, devious bass turd that he is.

Scott, Ray. SU arrived last night, finally. I'm going to drop off the plans and get them copied today. I'll ship em out if they are done tomorrow.

Scott I don't think I have you addy. PM it to me if you would.

Ray I'm looking for the biggest box I can find to put your plans in. Just to keep Charlie happy with you.

And Pappy, I don't even want to know about why you want to know about blow fish in the pond. You are really scareing me now.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Loubud

GG,
Do what I did. Use a real RC plane box to send the plans to Sray. Freaks out Charlie. Sray gets that deer in the headlights look. All is good. Tee hee.
I used the DC-3 box to send Dougies old Corsair. Purrrrfect.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:44 PM
TerryE

Lou;

Great idea

Brad: Don't you still have that big P-38 box laying around??

Just trying to help
Old 05-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Stingray69

You guys are killin me slowly. [&:]
Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Glacier Girl

That's our job Ray.
And yes I do have the P38 box, but I was thinking about something even bigger. Maybe something that would have to be shipped by freight.

Man what I wouldn't give to see Charlie's face when a big old semi pulls up next to the house. [X(]

Scott, never mind, I found your addy.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:10 PM
TerryE

What about the box your new shed will come in??

You could mark it "Airplane Hangar, box 1 of 6"

Old 05-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Loubud

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Delivered by frieght
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
1 of 6
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Glacier Girl

Hmm, maybe something like this????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44187.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	954151  
Old 05-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

poor Sray, hey you guys should phone his wife and tell her most people have at least 100 planes and show her the my models section for my id

bought the oxalys profile and the other profile from hl. aiming to build them over the winter. i've got the next 3 days free and it's forcast to be windy on all of them. today i'm psyching myself up to build my 5th epp 3d profile, the flash 3d, should take 2 - 2 1/2 hours. i've currently also got the protech vortex, a 40" and 50" ritewings wings (6s and 900 and 9s and 1500 watt setups), plus two tiny tigershark d/f jets to build and if i can do at least the flash 3d and the 40" wing this week i'll be happy with that. also i'm gonna do the three jets from hl, which will be here end of june, all quick builds (2 d/f, 1 epp pusher).

it's funny, eflight have released over 10 planes so far this year, pz are doing the corsair, but gws are suprisingly quiet. nothing so far from them. wonder when the next one will be out.

i hope i can get to do some flying next week.

painters finished doing the house yesterday, took 4 days. if i'd have done it it would look like sh1t, plus as the ground floor / first floor has a partial roof skirting the house, i couldn't have done the first floor anyway. unfortunately my wife has to pay all of it, about $5,000, we usually split bills like this. i hope in 7 more years when the woodwork will need painting again, i'll be in a position to pay it all then

finally, i think the badius owners club needs a sexcretary like this

Name:	Yw66683.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	954153  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM
rob737

thanks loubud[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

my great planes corsair arrived today......it looks great, and should build quickly. now, i dont know a lot about watts, amps, measuring thrust, etc......but if my corsair has the same flying weight as my pz cub it will have similar performance when i swap motors and electronics, right? hope my thinking is sound! going to try to get the plane put together tomorrow after the kids get to school.........rob
Old 05-21-2008, 06:07 PM
ktaylor

Brad, I am getting a new plane out of it. this one http://www.hobby-lobby.com/geebee.htm

oh & this is for fun,, it tells me I'm an Ambling Armadillo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbo...n_version5.swf
Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 PM
tam popo

Hiya guys - well, we've all seen good vids of great planes and great pilots, but there's a new Kid on the block, and he's called Velox. I know nothing about this plane but "it sure has a pretty mouth"...oink, oink!!! Seriously, you gotta a see this and weep cos you can'tt do it, even maybe Sray and GG
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8idSeSiIdWs
Old 05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Airbourne in Japan

finished the flash 3d epp profile in 2 hours exactly.

Name:	Mk26042.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	954254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96229.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	954255  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:45 PM
rob737

doug......you should check out my new corsair.........probably no more than a ten minute job for you to build! rob
Old 05-21-2008, 06:59 PM
weeweeboi

so i finally got the lipo and charger it cost $50 for everything included shipping plus some other odds and inns i got
Old 05-21-2008, 07:01 PM
tam popo

Rob737 - is the J3 Cub or SCub? What plans have you got (motor, lipo, RX/TX etc), cos i've got the J3 Cub. Its a solid flyer, always ready, but it needs a little oooomph, a kick up the butt!!!! But I don't want to go the whole hog and strip out everything and replace with b/less, Ar6200/DX6i etc. I wanted to use a 2S lipo but the esc stops that and I can't find the "trip" to remove. Just waiting now for the EZCub.

FernD - love the 400 Moth, a lot better aerofoil on the wings. Specs on my Pico Moth have changed a bit to 2805 E-Max 2000+kv, 800 2S, Carbon rods everywhere, and multiple extra wing bracing. Best flying plane I have, solid from a hand launch and climbs like a rat up Pappy's trouser leg!!!!!!! And don't foget, they now do a 3D Profile Moth (GWS) and its great for indoor and extreme aerobatics on small lipos (800 3S???)

SS weather at the moment, warm, sunny, and low wind - luvly jubbly........
Old 05-21-2008, 07:15 PM
rob737

tam.....it's the parkzone j3 cub bl. i was just in my hobby room fooling around with both planes. i do not think i am going to be able to use the cub's brushless motor in my corsair, it won't fit (would stick out way too far forward of the cowl). i don't have the abilities to make the modifications to make this work. back to the drawing board! going to browes some websites right now and see what i can come up with........guess i'll keep the stock brushed motor, i just need an esc and a coulple of batts that will fit.......rob
Old 05-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Doug,

I had a feeling my it wouldn't work but I thought you would buy them all. At least you kept it to 2.

Ken,

Kitchen looks sweet. Nice job on the granite. How come you put the 1 1/2" piece along the front edge instead of against the wall? Looks liek you get them nice and flat. Are you going to do a tile backsplash as well?

Terry,

Box 1 of 6, now that is good. I just remembered you asked me about the back up/business continuity solutions I sell. If you are still in the market PM and I will email you a PDF with all the specs.

Just waiting for wifey to get home so I can go flying. Wind is about 3mph and it is sunny and 68 degrees. These are the days that I wait for to keep me sane during the 7 months of winter we have been having.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
patnchris

I was out doing some park flying, this morning and I noticed that a couple of my packs don't seem to be putting out like they used to and after 7-8 minutes they are starting to puff. I'm not complaining as these packs have well over 100 cycles on them and are left from the summer of 2006 when I first started flying. Anyway, I was reading some articles on Lithium ion and Lithium polymer batteries and came across some interesting info. According to the article, mfg's know that the cells actually have a shelf life, whether they are cycles or not. This shelf life can be extended by proper storage and temps under 50 degrees, but the three different articles I read, stated that the given life of a lithium cell is 2 years, with proper care. After that the energy available starts to diminish, exponentially. This actually goes along with what I'm experiencing. The packs that are going South were purchased in the Summer of 2006.
The articles go on to say that the mfg's try to minimize this in their literature, even though they are aware of it. Two of the articles stated that premium pack mfg's actually market the fresh cells to premium distributors and their cells that have been sitting in warehouses, are marketed to discount distributors. If this is true, then premium packs would actually last longer than discount packs. One article stated that some Super discounters of packs are actually selling packs made from cells that are over a year old. If the articles are truthful, it makes one wonder if the discount packs are all that good of a deal. The packs I have, that are "wearing out" are ThunderPowers. Until recently, that's all I ever bought. LAst year I tried a couple of discount packs but found the 3S 2100 packs unacceptable for my use. The larger 4000 ma 15C packs I purchased from TrueRC have been functioning fine, but the oldest ones are less than a year old. I guess time will tell.....Pat
Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Airbourne in Japan

well it's p20am and still not really windy. forcast is 15-25mph today. should have gone flying at 7am i guess, i can go early today as my wife is off. however if i set off now, i wont be flying before 10am and by then it could be quite windy. difficult call as the last 3 weeks practically every day has been too windy for flying.

hey Rob, i know the gp corsair. i'd get the hellcat (i think the other one is), but they're a bit small for me, plus i don't like foamies that are foam skinned only. i paid over $100 plus $100 shipping for a flying styro la7 Russian ww2 fighter which is the same construction and i never flew it. i tried hand launching it a few times and it ended up nosing in and was completely destroyed, so i'd never get another one like that, i.e flying stryo or alpha, although it was a very nice plane and practically all built. my catalina is the same construction and i'm a bit nervous of hand launching it (not flown yet), hopefully i can slide it off the ground, but that's also definately a one crash wonder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.