Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

OK, I broke down and bought a Bipe. And I paid way to much for it[], It's an Eflight Tensor 4D. I thought it was a good deal for $50 at the LHS, but I just found it at Horizon for $30, It's been discontinued. It should be able to do far more than I can so hopefully it will fly and turn, without powerus interuptus.

So far the wind is fairly mild so I'll do some chores and then stick some planes in the truck and go for a ride.

Tim
Old 06-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

bought this small me109 from bigdotuncle in HK, the people i got the at6 texan from (excellent service) http://www.bigdotunclestore.com/Item...E3BBF109M.html . they haven't got anything else of interest right now, but i've bookmarked them and will keep checking back periodically. gonna get this bd5 pusher jet from x flight next week, it looks nice and interesting http://www.x-flight.hk/e/products/pr...sp?ic=XFP-BD-5

not sure if i'm gonna do the texan this morning, it should only take an hour or so, but i got up at 2am, although i had 7 1/2 hours sleep i may be tired by 9am, building time.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:27 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I opened the tensor box and the plane looks fairly straight forward to build. And at first glance the instructions look great. small steps and a picture for each step. I've never bought a plane from E-flite before, but this could be the beginning of a new favorite brand. It seems like for $30 this is a great deal. Unfortunately I paid more.

Doug, the electrifly motor just found a home! I've been wondering what to put that on.

Tim
Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Tim, good for you. by the way, isn't that a depron profile 3d'er ? good luck with it anyway.

just counted my planes on the build pile. currently 87, plus 40 more in the loft[:@][X(]
Old 06-21-2008, 03:48 PM
rcverse

Whooo Adam.......... that's pretty dismal the thought of staying on topic.... get a life Mod... guess he's not worried about job security.... Just leave him Twisting in the breeze, and start a new thread....... call it the Twist by Chubby Checkers, with no particular topic... then you should be free to roam.... and talk about the Twist...... or dancing, or Chubby Checkers, or ...... hmm guys maybe we should go visit Adams Twist thread and see if we can wear the edges off this turkey, where was that thread........

and that reminds me there was somebody new, talking about getting email notifications, ....which you can turn off or on in your personal profile I believe... I made that mistake early on....

Tam, .....where you been, you never seen the Tesla!!!.... likely the second best ride out there, after sweeties, Phil... and sweet looking to boot
its the all electric 0-60 mph in <4 sec, roadster that Elon Musk, (aka Paypal), developed a few years ago.... originally priced at 90K, but hear now up to 120K.... originally claimed could shut down any Porsche.... and all but one Ferrari.... new CEO now saying most,... along with Lamborghinis.... Vettes and Mustangs no contest......tops out at 130mph, with 300 mile on an overnite charge....
I haven't seen the design details, but rumor has it is Lithium Batts and independent motors on each wheel??? Just Google Tesla Motors, will get you the home page and tons of media.........

Hey Phil, so you got a mini-Bee.... I just took my first "EPP wing" flite a few weeks ago... really like the way it handled.... just waiting for the next good windy day to get some more...... this one is an earlier 90's custom build EPP with bout a 60" WS.... a buddy gave it to me with an old Airtronics Infinity 600 which I need to find a manual for... I found one for the 660 online but that is later model.... but may be close enough to sort it out... Dieter thinks he's still got one but where??? So if any ya's know of a copy....
Dieter had the throws set too hot for me, but after he toned them down a bit it was nice, and climbed out very nice on the booming lift that day.... I even managed a not too graceful landing in back.... looking forward to more.......

OK AJ, so you did go BL.... just couldn't figure that little prop and 380 can could cut it... I'm debating whether to bother with upgrade as mostly figured to use for a sloper.... but we'll see if it handles any better with the corrected throws... if not, may just repower it for an eglider....and try it at the local club field.... almost giant scale!!!

These days looking for a lite slope glider as nothing I have will stay up under about 10mph wind.... hear some of the heavier DLGs do nice on the slopes in lite air.... maybe the way to go.... seen Canterbury Sailplanes has a nice EPP DLG but a bit spendy.... still looking.... Arthobby does some nice sheeted foam core DLGs, ..........maybe the ticket, for less dollars and still pretty tough......

Looks like the Air Rachet wing is my next victim though......... poor thing, had a rough life already as a combat grunt....
also thinking the Easy Glider, cheap EPP, and maybe more stable than Windrider........ maybe worth a try......
Old 06-21-2008, 03:49 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Yep depron profile 3d. 27" ws bipe. I figure it has to be able to turn if it's advertised as 4d. Once it's built it should be interesting to see how it fairs against the Bug.

Tim
Old 06-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Airbourne in Japan

only thing with that Tim is that it will probably a one crash wonder[:@]
Old 06-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Stingray69

Tim. Trace it out on a sheet of depron, FF, or even cardboard. So you will always have a template to rebuild.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:31 PM
tam popo

Export- a lebian in a man's body??? I'll jut sit on the end of the bed and watch!!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:50 PM
tam popo

Doug - who do you sell your planes to, they can't ALL be yours to just play with??
Old 06-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Tam, i've only got 93 rtf, so i need to build some more. when i finish building them in 4 winters time, i have a couple of computer systems to write and 100 books to read
Old 06-21-2008, 05:31 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Flight report. First up was the beaver. It went up, banked right and crashed. Oops, rudder to right with left input. I so know better. Minimal damage as I had the floats on it and they popped out from the odd hit. I did rebreak a peice on the float. This time it will get epoxy, and if that won't hold I'll go get some JB Weld[>:].

Next up was the Yak. I spun up the motor, and thought that it wasn't as fast as I wanted, made a note to switch the timing and gave it a toss. A nice slow dive. I goosed it to full and pulled back a little and it climbed up nicely, then it went into a nice slow dive. I balanced the bird prior to launch but I was still nose heavy. I got a nice clean roll out of it then started to bring it in. Better to repair it and fly it again tomorrow. No such luck. I got behind on the controls and nosed it in. In hind sight I should have gotten it pointed at myself, got it wings level, and let it power glide in. I'm easier to move. What I did was back off the power and the plane became a pretty brick. It is officially used up. I'll hang on to it until I decide whether it's worth rebuilding vs ordering a new one.

I had the Fokker in the truck, but was going to fly it at another location due to my mishaps at the HS. No luck. Thats 5 planes crashed in 1 week. I remember when I could fly, Now I'm having doubts. I'll try to get the stick in the air tomorrow morning.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83130.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	975419   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44345.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	975420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93593.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	975421  
Old 06-21-2008, 05:34 PM
rcverse

Well here ya go Adam.... I just gave them my "opinion" over on the T***T thread.....

(quote)
Well Boys ........sounds like you'se having a little problem in your topics.... and sounds like some of you enjoy chating with your buddies... hope so that what these "chat lines" are made for.... let the vendors give you the canned soup!!! Its your buddies opinions that give you the real deal.... and if you haven't met your chat buddies in person, it's the chat that lets you know who and what they are........

I personally frequent the Badius III thread which is a "no topic" thread and we talk about anything having to do with RC, or life.... others opinions do matter!!!!!!!!......... a great deal........ I came to RCU looking for info and knowledge on a cheap foamy electric called the Accipiter Badius.

I by chance found the thread in a Google Search, after I had bought an AB off the internet.... after 20 years outta the hobby, lots had changed....
From chatting with the guys on that thread I have learned a whole range of info on electrics and airplanes, way beyond the AB.... and no doubt,..... I have come to know and value the opinions!!!!......... of many of the fellows posting on that thread..... there is a lot of superfluous info on other models and gear that have little bearing on mine, but its provides a breadth of knowledge that would be impossible to get any other way....
and that allows me to think "outside the box".......... which has its advantages when you are looking for something better ....

We got guys regularly talking about everything from gas to electric, from minis to large scale, foamies to balsas, helis to jets..... you have to sort out what you don't need but that's OK.... that's what your brain is for........ I can't keep up with it all, few can, but you can just hop in whenever you feel like it, read a bit, target some questions to whoever you like, and if need be have them PM you details, ...........or just BS about whatever you feel like with your buddies, that live too far away to hang out with in person..... that's life in this day and age, sometimes you get on the phone, sometimes guys post videos, if your lucky you get to visit in person, meanwhile the chat fills in the gap......

I learned enough just off that thread, I can go out and read the vendors spiel, and pretty well figure what their selling, .....and if I'm still unclear there is enough combined knowledge and experience there to likely find some answers..... or if I'm trying to figure how to fix something...... again I can usually find an answer there, but I also have come to know, who knows what, and who likely to ask....just like in the real world.... it's life boys, hope it isn't too cut and dried, be pretty boring if it is........ have fun that's what this is all about, I hope....... later
(end quote)

...............that should give em something to "chat and chew" on........
Old 06-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Airbourne in Japan

did the at6 texan, took an hour 1/4. quite pleased with it. one side of the wing is warped up, so i had to put some thick double sided tape under the wing saddle and it looks ok now, have to see how it flies. balanced quite nose heavy so i added 3/4 oz of lead to the tail and that seems ok. i had a bit of luck with the motor, i used a spare ultrafly inrunner from the f16 pusher and put it in a gws 400 sized gearbox of unknown ratio and it's 130 watts for 11 amps which is great as i can use the tp 1320 3s 13c packs easily. it's quite small so it should fly ok and being 4ch hopefully will be quite aerobatic. the big plus with the tp 1320 pack is it fits just right in the small square bat bay. i thought i was gonna be looking at 200 watts and 20 amps so i was planning to use the hyperion 1200 3s 30c pack and hack away some epo. i took some pics but haven't downloaded them yet.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM
tam popo

RCVerse - couldn't have put it better than that myself, right on Bro, as the Hippies say......
Old 06-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Luv2Flyallday

Man, as much as i like hard core 3din, i want a glider!!! Better yet, i want an electric sailplane for some thermalin in texas. I don't know were to find one i'm looking for. I want at least 78inches(2m) ailerons, flaps(for crow mixing) and have a brushless motor. I need a decent price. I saw one i liked at nesail.com but man, 899 dollars for a glider of that size?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 PM
rcverse

Hey Dougie....
so this is the EPO AT-6... is it painted yellow like in the pic, and is there a manf name in the instructions???... just wondering who the OEM is, if it is GWS/ICON or someone else......
...... and talking about the warped wing...... I had some warp in the fuse of the Windrider, which I just did like you, and pulled it straight with tape... finally straightened it more after breaking and gluing it, but wonder if can straighten it with a bit of heat, like with Depron.... just been reading guys are forming Depron with covering iron heat, ......and recall someone using good hot water,.... maybe worth a try, I haven't experimented with it, but might work .... be careful though as I melted a spot in mine real quick with the tip of the hot glue gun.... could try the microwave!!!!

So Tim see you got a Depron Ultimate..... just been re-reading a thread on Depron and FFF, DLGs ........pretty interesting info might find handy down the road.... check it out [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633311]Depron DLGs[/link]
........same thread where they forming Depron with a covering iron, ......contouring LEs, forming spoiler tips...also installing light CF spars....
.....guys built 36" wing, Depron DLG, AUW 3.1 oz, ......and that KFM airfoil so simple but provides laminant strength.... might give you some ideas when get to repairs, or before!!!

hey Lou ........speaking of Lithium batteries, .....here's an article I found on LiPos made to puff......... maybe those Aligns are supposed to do that!!! [link=http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/9281/title/Energy_forest]Puffs[/link] and maybe don't put all your LiPO in one basket, or something..... thats my "opinion" at least.... we are allowed those here right???
Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Jim, no manafacturer's name on the box or on the instructions
Old 06-21-2008, 08:31 PM
nyflyer56

Luv2Fly
If you skip the ailerons and flaps,, there are a lot of nice (and cheap) 2 m. sailplanes out there Sray has one from Towers,the Vista that he has good luck with.
You could also look at the Spectra, Or the Goldberg Gentle lady or Electra. If you kit build any of these instead of getting the ARF versions, you could easily add spoilers to them
Old 06-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Stingray69

Luv2fly

Phil is right. I like my vista. It's only $50 and you have to mod it for the motor which it's not made to have. Easy mod though. It has polyhedral to keep it upright and comes in handy when it's above 2000'. It is kind of on the heavy side so thermals are hard to feel. But if you get it up high and chop power you'll be up there 20 min. or so gliding regardless of thermal or notl. Need a lawn chair to fly it. If you go that route I'll post pics of the motor mount mod.

link to vista http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLGM5&P=ML

Old 06-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Airbourne in Japan

real gliders are much more fun
Old 06-21-2008, 10:21 PM
CaptainRandy

Scott,

I wish I had my Sony Camcorder with me here in NC, so I could give you the model number.[] I would really like to know more about the cables and conversion stuff.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM
calvino

here is my bent as heck gear, sorry if the pics don't do "justice", and no, the gear itsn't twisted in the mount, it is bent that bad. ideas, this will be like the 4th time ive bent the stupid thing and am not thinking it can take much more
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94774.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	975698  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM
rcverse

Hey there Tex.....
you want all the bells and whistles...
well off hand the cheapest glider I know with flaps is the Multiplex Cularis EPP for <200.... but have to add power...

another route is something like this with foam core wings[link=http://www.arthobby.com/shop.html]Arthobby[/link] or might find something else there... actually you could take any these foam core wings and cut flaps into them, and some of these smaller gliders start at $99, just a matter how much work you up for....

and these guys offer the biggest asst of e-gliders I know [link=http://www.soaringusa.com/products/subcategory.htm?category_id=262]Soar[/link]
and you might find something tailor made in your budget, but there isn't much out there composite that is cheap, .......you might find a built up, sheeted wing with flaps, though off hand can't think who....

Actually down there on a warm day in Tejas, catching thermals wouldn't need more than a hand launch, .....and flaps can be useful when scratching for thermals but by no means necessary, though as get into bigger birds, nice to have for landing.... 78" is not that big in thermal gliders, but then I had an 8" HL that just thermaled outta sight, ....its more wing loading, and DLGs take the cake there.... but then in stronger conditions that you may encounter, ballasting for speed and penetration, may be called for.....

I been told bigger are easier to fly, ....and sure easier to see when you get up there.... but I think for something durable and decent performance, at reasonable price, the Arthobby might be a place to start, .....but then on a good day the $30 AB with just RE will do the job....
Anyway go for it.......... think you'll find them a nice change of pace from 3D, .........a whole diff ballgame, .........and you can fly all day, just riding the thermals, just bring your lounge chair.....and I'd suggest some slopes but unless you got some dunes around there maybe slim chance, but then I've seen DLGs sloping along tree lines, so not totally out the question........

Oh yeah here you go,....... even some local boys, Austin TX, flying the Blaster, ....a top of the line composite DLG now priced at $385... or the e-version $395.... if you check the vids of the glider version, video 1, .....Kirby is sloping the treeline briefly toward the middle, and then continues to thermal it towards the end.... haven't seen the e-version before, ..........but this glider is so light and slippery it performance is amazing.... The 60" wing with AUW 11oz, and only 15oz for the e-version..... even with all the hot dogging these guys get into, the thing just wants to keep flying........ Still onna my all time favorites and price not bad for a composite...... check it out... some great flying......
[link=http://www.kennedycomposites.com/blaster2.htm]Blaster[/link]
There are cheaper and lighter DLGs out there and maybe some better, but just watch the videos and see the potential that composite DLGs have,....... go electric if you feel the need, but they don't really need it..... they are light and efficient enough to thermal from handlaunch, or slippery and fast enough to cut up the sky just hot dogging.....
I seen giant slopers, F5B hotliners, and giant scale sailplanes, all performing their best........and these DLGs still take the cake......
......... sweeeter than molasses, huh Phil

Old 06-22-2008, 12:01 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Flight report. I took the bug out and got some decent flying out of it. I think I may have made a monumental step in rc flying. I will take the recommended cg wit a grain of salt. If the plane doesn't perform then I'll use my eyes to see what is happening rather that the "factory cg" I don't know if that makes sense to you but all of my planes seem to crash badly due to cg considerations. The bug flew well but it was in a constant tail heavy state. It would climb inverted![X(]. Let me know if you guys think I've lost my mind again, little bugger wanders off every so often.

The Bug flight was actually quite nice. But I watched it climb then stall without any input. Lot's of the obligitory rolls and inside and outside loops. The manuever that has the plane nose high in a 45* circle. That's my new "check the timer" trick. The plane will hold that circle for a while.

The Tensor is moving right along. Doug would be done and maidened it by now, But I will keep at it for another couple of hours. So far the fuse is done and I'm prepping for radio/servos to go in. Ater that should be wings.

Jim, nice post. The mods are volunteers I think, so one bad mod and a thread is killed. But if they had to pay for mod's this would be a paid site. So as annoyed as I get about a certain mod, it's a volunteer gig. No pay and you get to get grief, if you have an authoritarian mindset you'll try to meld the thread to your goals. Just my opinion of course.

Tim

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.