Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club III

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:47 PM
nyflyer56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club III

AJ,
What were you trying to cover with the econocote? I reccomended it for foam use, not open frame or solid balsa. It will work, but after Ultracote, everything else seems carpy.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

AJ, the fires doubled in size yesterday. They are evacuating towns, but small towns and we are far away from a big city, so not much coverage that I've heard other than local stuff. These are also lightning caused fires and that dilutes the push that the forest service has to blame the fires on humans. They are in national parks that do not allow brush clearing.

They brought out a new plane to fight the fires, at least new for NorCal. It's a Martin Mars flying boat water bomber. This is a seriously BIG bird. Here's a link that shows the planes. It appears that they are from B.C. Thanks Scott. I haven't heard of a mutual aid call from here, but I know CalFire has crews from across the west fighting these fires. They are the Iron complex and the Lime complex fires.

Here's the link. http://www.martinmars.com/gallery.htm

Tam, which X-Twin/AeroAce are you flying? Have you done the "turn w/o throttle" mod yet? Have you found the mods thread yet? Here it is, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4886434/tm.htm

The tensor is now built. Pic's soon. I need to go wear out a battery on the Bug first

Pat, any idea what happened yet? Just curious, I didn't autopsy the Yak for several days.

Tim
Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 PM
patnchris

Yup,
The programming for the two planes is totally different.....

My first post was weird. Whole sections of text were missing. I had to go back and fix it.....

I sure hope I can get to the field and do some flying this weekend, but the weather is threateniing. No way I'm going to maiden the Ultimate, unless conditions are perfect. Flying the smaller birds at the park just isn't the same as taking the big guys to the field...Pat
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 PM
patnchris

AJ,
Phil is right.....Econo-Cote kindda sucks.....Lots of better stuff out there. MonoCote is good but not as light or easy to work with and Ultra Cote. I also tried some other stuff that was pretty good, but don't remember the name of it. .....I'm not an expert, by any means, but I'm getting better. ....Pat
Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: gunfighterII

Cal,
Be careful in the early morning and late evening hours, sun angles can play havoc with your vision and orientation.

Keep the sun behind you when flying at these times.
yep, ive flown with the sun and it can be a pain[:'(] ok, here is somethin i find funny/interesting, i can fly an "elevon" plane no prob (flew a "flying lawnmower") fine at the LHS but i don't do so good with the SS, does this mean ive got a good excuse to try out an elevon or what[>:]
Old 06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
AJ1202

Phil I did get it for foam, but I got a roll to do the fuse and some trim on the balsa plane I'm working on, I figured it would be OK ,,,, yeah right, lesson learned
I won't make that mistake again, maybe a few others but not that one
I did manage to get the wing to look fairly decent so at least I won't have to redo it

funny thing, I have not even tryed to use it on any foam yet,,,,,,,,,,,,, hmm OK I retract my statement for now untill I try it on foam

Pat oh man that stinks
Old 06-27-2008, 09:42 PM
CaptainRandy

Pat,

Sorry about the crash, but you'll get er fixed up. I crash mine on the ground by having the plane on, then switching around to find the right model, and the plane takes off, when you hit one with throttle up, or some crazy thing. had one fly right under my van and rip in in two[X(] We never really do learn

Tam,

Ouch[:@] I will donate an extra pint in your name

GG,

I am lost again. I picked up a 4 X 8 sheet of 1/2" blue foam for the Terry, but I can't think of how to up size the bird to a 6 ft wing span. I gave up on 8 ft, just too big. How did you up size the plans? Did you just fake it, like your wife?

I only have 5 weeks to get it ready, and I'm real slow
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Pat, I don't recall seeing the other model when I read it. That sux. I haven't mixed model so far, knock on foam, but I have certainly been complacent in checking servo direction. Does it move? Yep, good to go, I set the servos at home when building. Not so much.

Tensor pics with a one of my mod'd aces. The ace mod was "eureka" moment for me and it turned out no one had done this mod when I did it. This is the mod that Paul has. The refining was farther along when I did Brad's so his only has 2 straws not 4. The 4 straw model is rock solid in the air, the 2 straw version allows for more creative flying. I may have to look at my micros again. Anyway, Pics.

Hi Lou

Hi Mike

Hi Gary

Hi Fahim

Tim

AJ, I have that cg calculator book marked. I'll check their numbers against factory. Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55375.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	979849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22463.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	979850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15361.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	979851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59513.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	979852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj66360.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	979853  
Old 06-28-2008, 12:24 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Cal, what it means is that your ss is not quite right.

Guys, I just talked to the Lou Monster. He is in great spirits, but can only read so many posts at a time. He and TEGE were getting dinner. So Lou is ambulatory but can only deal with us in bits[X(][]. He'll be back.

Tim
Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 AM
calvino

Cal, what it means is that your ss is not quite right.
all the more excuse to get lou...... blame it on the prop saver, anyone have utter problems with the "great planes" one, it was a total nightmeare, lost it at the field, got to get another and fly again, definately in the morning[8D], ill check my CG, the reason why i said that was the winds... (my fault), well, i will take it on a good (just charged) battery... and try for better flight[>:]
Old 06-28-2008, 01:58 AM
gramps45

GG i try to spend the least amount of time on the floor.just once in awhile to play with my granddaughter. the more i have to get up the harder it gets

thanks
gramps

NOT IF BUT WHEN I CRASH IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT
Old 06-28-2008, 07:14 AM
tam popo

AJ - the plane i think I was talking about was one of those indoor-type X-Twin Bipes, 27mhz, I thing you call them Aero Hogs over there. We have use of a large hall at our "Club" now and the guys have really taken to flying that and a Picco-style Heli that TerryE donated (thanks Terry!!!). So not only can he guys choose to do art (painting), drama, cooking lessons, IT skills and gardening (own plots), but they can now fly!!! I lend them a few of my planes (EZ*, TMoth, cut-down Stryker) to try hands-on flying. And a kind gentleman from the BadBoys Club has also donated some planes for slope flying. What do the guys get?? It stops them going to the Pub, drinking alone etc and gives them someone to talk to who uderstands their problems. Flying focuses their grey matter and they see an en result. I'll post piccys of the group when I can, but because of the Confidentially Laws here I need their permission.
Have to go now, back soon....
Old 06-28-2008, 07:19 AM
AJ1202

Tam I was just messing with you about your use of the word piccy
you know as in your question as to what props we are using on our piccy planes
I hope your hand heals up good, gotta watch those props [X(]

Tim looks ready to fly, go for it and let us know how it fly's
just take it easy at first, looks like it will be balistic
Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 AM
tam popo

AJ - sorry Pal, brain is on but I haven't engaged a gear yet !!!

Now THIS a plane, and check out the specs, includes a biggish lipo as well.....nice
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ent=Apprentice

Bored stupid at the moment, bloody Wimbledon[>:] Only good thing is those short white dresses they wear - and thats the guys!!!! So I'll be renovating a Thunder Tiger 3D Profile Giles, a bit long in the tooth and its had most of its Depron chopped out, ugly as sin, but the wings and moving bits are all in the right place and its featherlight. Interesting
Old 06-28-2008, 07:42 AM
gunfighterII

AJ,
I had an interesting occurence last weekend flying the Can-Do. After the first flight the plane sounded kind of funny, kind of like a resonating sound throughout the fuse, a hollow sound, I checked the engine mount and all the other things that can come loose and found nothing. I continued to fly and got 6 flights in, everything seemed ok, although it seemed a bit nose heavy when it landed, not as smooth as I'm used to. When I tore the plane down, lo and behold my battery falls out of the fuse.
I'll try not to give you a hard time when your battery falls out of your plane again.
Lucky thing is, all the servo wires go directly over the top of the batt, so it was crashing into them during the flights, I was lucky not to unplug all the servos from the RX, a couple were halfway out.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:42 AM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

Pat,

DX7 with model match..... makes it impossible to fly with the wrong model loaded on your TX....it's saved my ass quite a few times
Old 06-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

Calvino,

Keep flying. Glad to hear you were in the air again and planning n trying again today.

DJ,

You sure are getting even more knowledgeable about RC gear. Must be nice to be working at a hobby shop.

GG,

Nice Stryker.

Lou,

We miss you, where have you been. New meds?

Gonna be out of town for a bit on a locall family vacation. Have a great week guys.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:27 AM
AJ1202

Tim I just looked at your pics again, you might want to put some kind of skid or something at the tail or your going to tear your rudder up or off

it's funny but that tensor looks a whole lot like this, just in profile
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90646.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	980055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26754.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	980056  
Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

The tensor does look like that. I know what you mean about the tail. I was going to pic up a little wheel but the didn't have any at the LHS. I did get some cf strip cause the tail boom feels weak. I will have to fly on grass only until I decide on a tail skid. I'm leaning toward a peice of zip tie glued to the bottom as a skid. What I did for the bug was a stif zip tie glued into the body at a 45* angle.

Balancing this thing is a real pain. I couldn't hit it last night so I'll try again this afternoon. As much as I want to fly it right now, I have several days off so I have plenty of time so I'm trying not to rush it.

I'm thinking about taking the slow stick and the fokker out this afternoon, just get some practice with a basic airplane.

Tim
Old 06-28-2008, 06:53 PM
tam popo

FernD - want a tail wheel? Take a big contol horn and find a washer the size of the wheel you want. Screw or bolt the washer to the outermost hole in the horn and then you can fasten the horn to the rear as a wheelskid. It works, 'cos I've done it!!!!

Quiet in here toniht, hes the end of the World arrived, or what......?

Two guys in the centre of NYC, one says to the other "What would you do if there was only 4 minutes to the end of the World?", th guy thought and said he would make mad passionate love to anything close to him that moved or looked like it would move, mad, unabandoned love!!!! He asked the guy "What would you do?" and the other guy said"I would stay perfectly STILL" !!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

pretty quiet here today. don't plan on doing any rc stuff today, got a few little jobs to do (fit canopy latches on the hyperion 1.2m su31, remotor the art tech corsair and build the epo me109) and my kids are off out at 10am with my wife's friend again, to see the second and big day of the dance festival (if you remember the pics from last year), so i'm free until 3.30pm when i have an English lesson, but i don't feel like doing anything except drinking sake and having a sleep. and no, i don't need your help Tam, i'm only a habitual drinker[X(] . by the way, i hope your finger is getting better. i've never cut myself on a prop, but i di make a nasty cut once with my hobby knife trying to get a stickmount out of a foamy. my suhoi profile plus some props should be arriving this morning i think, although it may be tomorrow.

looks like the rainy season has finished, only 1 day of rain this year. this week, 4 flying mornings possible, hopefully starting with tomorrow.

i hate that ******* Robert Mugave, another African presidential wanker[:@]
Old 06-28-2008, 07:00 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

So, I decided to go through the tensor now that it's built, check the ailerons, servos rudder ele etc. First problem, it doesn't sit on the fuse at all[X(], it sits on the rudder[>:]. So a new, unapproved, dragger mod is installed and should be cured in just a minute. Then I set the sub trim for the aeliron servo and reset the linkage. I ran the rates down to 50% and did a servo check, That is very little travel, but wait, the left ailerons don't move as much as the right. What gives? The primary servo horn on that side is loose! I'll push the retainer all the way on. Nope, the foam broke. I picked up some mercury glue today so I reglued that.

That is the sort of thing I normally miss, so my not trying to fly it today is already paying dividends. I might have to fly the Bug soon though.

Tam, your flying the X-twin Mini-Bipe, correct? OK, I would strongly suggest doing the turn with out throttle mod. It is a tx hack that has you adding a couple of diodes to the board. The silverlit tx's are already good for all three channels as I recall. Channel A is the worst, it will drop signal easily, channel B is the fastest electronically, but will burn up a MOSFet the quickest. The C channel planes will go until the motors or battery gives up. Just my biased view. Some swear by the B channel planes. Did you look at the mods thread?

Tim
Old 06-28-2008, 07:08 PM
tam popo

Doug - I just sent you a PM, and don't worry about the habitual thing, I'm not on of those Holier Than Thou Preachers about bad habits - unless its the wife.

Remember that film The Wild Geece?? I reckon that could happen soon with a little backing from our South African cousins. Mugabe gives Africa a bad name.

Time for bed, early start, I'm handing out leaflets at a Marathon about the Perils etc....I stopped drinking water years ago because fish pi... in it!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:17 PM
tam popo

Tim - I did spend about an hour going thru some of the mods, but then my brain hurt[] I don't want to go too deeply into the mods, maybe simple ones like adding a coin to the front etc and maybe removing the lower wing. We shall see. The room we have is bigger than most, in fact there's 2 rooms, one is slightly smaller but both have more than enough room. I tried flying it at 5am the other morning while waiting for wifey to finish night shift. But the wind had it all over the place. I want to video me flying in George Square (centre of Glasgow) but it has to be done at 5/6am before the police start work properly. And I need practice.

Time for bed, byeeeee.....
Old 06-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

the big job sunday mornings at 7.30-8am is cleaning the fish tanks. i didn't do them last week and they've been bugging me all week as they were very dirty with algae on the tank walls, but i'm glad to say they're done now for another week.

i'm very interested in the plight of the developing world, having spent a couple of years backpacking in poor countries, mostly Asia, and having grown up with serious problems to contend with myself, though nothing like no food, clean water, school or medical care. so i have a lot of empathy with the plight of the poor, and a selfish ******* like mugave really makes my blood boil. inflation is reakoned to be 4 million % currently in Zimbabwe and he is intent on dying as president. i can't believe anyone still supports him. he recently built a $10,000,000 house for himself, half paid for by the Chinese.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.