Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Gryphon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

VFA-13 SCREAMER,<o></o>

I'll let others talk about prop balancing.<o></o>

Ihave heard that some prop adapters have problems…usually the cheap stuff.

So my question would be this:
Are you using the same prop adapter on both props, or are you using 2 different prop adapters?

If using 2 different prop adapters see if the other one will help make the problem go away.<o></o>

<o></o>

___________________________________________<o></o>

<o></o>

Ozzymoose,<o></o>

<o></o>

Your receiver:<o></o>

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/berg_ms4l.html<o></o>

<o></o>

Its manual:<o></o>

http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/berg_4L_user_guide.pdf<o></o>

<o></o>

<o></o>

On top of the manual it says: “USE ONLY A BERG CRYSTAL FOR BEST PERFORMANCE”<o></o>

<o></o>

Have you installed a crystal?<o></o>

<o></o>

Is your trans and receiver on same Ch?<o></o>

<o></o>

Have you followed the owner’s manual instructions?<o></o>

<o></o>

Is there any response from setup/any Ch?<o></o>

<o></o>

Since manual says:<o></o>

Upon power-up of the receiver, it goes into a “learning cycle” for about one second. During this period, it learns the characteristics of your transmitter including shift polarity, number of channels and frame timing. After this ‘boot up’ period, it will only listen to your type of transmitter. Booting up your home computer or laptop takes several minutes. Booting up the computer inside your receiver takes only a second or so.<o></o>

<o></o>

Then it should work with stock trans and its (trans) positive shift or negative shift will not prevent you from using this receiver.<o></o>

<o></o>

________________________________________________<o ></o>

<o></o>

nova50073,<o></o>

<o></o>

I’ll send you a PM.<o></o>

<o></o>

<o></o>

Later,<o></o>

<o></o>

Gryphon

Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
jaime.mi

here are my first 3 steps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18351.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1220734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19617.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1220735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35741.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1220736  
Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Gryphon

jaimie.mi,

Remind me of the following please:

1) What sort of speeds are you after in level flight?

2) what about elevons? Stock or balsa?

3) Just C.F. and no fiberglass, right?

Gryphon
Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 PM
jaime.mi

The first picture is the first step. Carbon fiber reinforcement 4.8 mm variety, 200 grit sanding all over in an effort to remove all the injection mold marks and smooth out the entire airframe. Third picture is the top view of step one. I mentioned not using the Wow planes mix for this build, but after studying their procedure in detail, I decided to use their first step to smooth out  the airframe.
We are talking about a 1 to 1 mixture of Durhams Water Putty and light weight spakle. You then add about 4 spoonfulls of water (better to do 1 at a time, and do not use DAP brand it does not dissolve in water) you are looking for the consistency of household paint. A foam brush will not leave brush strokes, and only a thin coat is added. Before painting the mixture on the the airframe, I use the light weighgt spakle to fill out gaps like the nose cone, the factory hinge holes and make sure the entire surface was smooth. 45 minutes later the spakle was dry and I painted the mixture to fill in and smooth out the spakle. Picture 2 shows the top view before another second coat all around tomorrow morning.

Fly fast, take chances...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 PM
jaime.mi

I already purchased my balsa elevons I will probably give them an epoxy bath and cover the bottom with aircraft plywood, as per your previous threads. For now I will only use CF, and no fiberglass. I am using extreme tape on the TE of the elevons, and being totally crazy about the no gap CA hinge .
 If I can do 120 (Medusa...) I will be tickled... I am totally looking forward, to the day my old stock motor goes out in smoke... Maybe it will go out gracefully on a steep climb with a trail of smoke!

Fly fast! take chances...
Old 06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Dc2LightTech

Balance issue solved:

I cut the excess motor shaft and prop adapter off[X(]

Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Gryphon

joe1 ,

I want to wish you my very best on your pending maiden flight.

Let us know how it goes/went on1st page of Part 8 along with any pics.

For therecord; my planes are always the ugliest and most beat up....LOL.
Personally Itake performance over looks any day, but that is just on my own planes.
My first car had (2) 4 barrel carbs sticking through the hood and was spray painted primer black out ofregular spraycans. Ibought it that way when Iwas 16.

nova50073,

Little bit of reading on Co-pilot:
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?item=1489&section=20

If we meet anytime after this weekend, I will let you fly my F-27B on 3S so you can see what the Co-pilot acts like and then Iwill give you one of my spare Co-pilots to try out on your Stryker for a few weeks.

Later,

Gryphon
Old 06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
joe1
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

joe1 ,

I want to wish you my very best on your pending maiden flight.

Let us know how it goes/went on1st page of Part 8 along with any pics.

For therecord; my planes are always the ugliest and most beat up....LOL.
Personally Itake performance over looks any day, but that is just on my own planes.
My first car had (2) 4 barrel carbs sticking through the hood and was spray painted primer black out ofregular spraycans. Ibought it that way when Iwas 16.

nova50073,

Little bit of reading on Co-pilot:
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?item=1489§ion=20

If we meet anytime after this weekend, I will let you fly my F-27B on 3S so you can see what the Co-pilot acts like and then Iwill give you one of my spare Co-pilots to try out on your Stryker for a few weeks.

Later,

Gryphon
Thank You Gryphon, I will take a couple pictures of it before maiden flight, but I don't have a video camera and do not know anyone either.
Might have my bud take a couple in the air if he can find it :=}
Old 06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
moparmyway

To all.............

IThas finally happened !!!

Traditionally after 100 pages or so, we start a new thread. Part 8 has begun with Chippedprops blessings. In a short while we will close this thread and lock it down. Please use the following link for easy access to Part 8.

We invite everyone to "let the mayham begin !!"

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8867370

Old 06-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Hello everyone... this should be my last post here on #7 as we go to # 8..... Good luck to all and a special shout out to Moparmyway... You have been great helping so many of us here on #7 and now we will all be looking forward to #8 and your leadership as we develope our own Dark Side Strykers...

One last question here on #7.... When setting up the motor and prop on a Stryker... Which side of the prop faces backward?( as you look at theprop from the spinner ) ....I have just proped my new upgraded Model B Stryker and I have the prop in the traditional way as you would any prop on a front facing engine... Is that correct?

Good luck to all and see you soon on Part 8...
Old 06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Gryphon

Lord Chippedprop,

Iwanted to thank you for doing a great job on the Stryker Dark side part 7 thread. I know others feel the same way because of what Ihave read in posts and what I've been told in PMs, E-mail and even phone calls.

You made me proud. I'm glad that Ichose you to run part 7 and feel much honored that you accepted.

Ilook forward to hearing about your pending maiden flight of you FMS. {Front Motored Stryker}

Hope to see you again in person over the next few weeks.

Take care and always have fun,

Gryphon
Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 PM
thetrums
My Feedback: (22)

Hey chippedprop! You have helped mi in the past with my Medusa 2200KV setup. I want to go faster now. I have a Pheonix 80 esc. now, what motor , battery and prop should I run for 120-130-ish
Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Flisms

Anyone ever added a bomb drop to a stryker? I added a small 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch "bomb bay" just before the nose of my stryker. it is controled by a small 6 gram servo. I load it with those little snap pop things we used to throw around as kids. I call it my 'cluster bomb drop" They make a great sound when you drop them on cement. I can hold about 30 or so, and it adds almost no extra weight. Ill add pictures soon. its a cool mod if you ask me. Im sure im not the first. =)

I have also just upgraded to a brushless set up, after about 2 years of wasting time with the stock set up. WOWIE!!!

Eflight six series 2000 KV Inrunner
Eflight 40 amp ESC
Hitec 82 Mg (metal gear) servos =)
6x5.5 prop
AR5000 and Dx6e

Can anyone tell me their experience with adding rudder control to a Stryker. I understand why they do not have rudders, but is there any fun to be had by adding them.

Flisms =)
Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
LEOIII

Ihave a Dx6i transmitter that the evevator trim button just let go on me last night luckly while I was on the Phoenix an not out flying one of my planes. The bind switch had broken on it a few weeks ago but I replaced it with the one off my Stryker trasnmitter since now Im more into the micro birds. Does any one know if its worth getting both of the problems repaired (plus shipping from Florida) plus are they always that slow in repair time(3 weeks?) I would hate to send it out and find out for a few more bucks I could just get a new one and keep this one for parts and the simulator. I was thinking of getting the Dx7 since I'm up to 9 on the Dx6i and was thinking of converting the Stryker over to Spectrum.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Gryphon

Leo III,

This Dark side Stryker Part 7 thread was closed 1 1/2 years ago (we thought it was locked down already).

Please copy and paste your question on the part 9 thread (see link below) :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10026168/tm.htm

Thanks,

Gryphon