Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
chippedprop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Gryphon ( gold star award)

I normally don't copy and paste things over, but this thing has a big wow factor. I'm very impressed.........Quote

I bet that plane weighs a ton
the rear deck moves (2 servos) and the canard moves 1-2 servos
See if you can find vid. off static or in flight
Very good find everyone keep looking and sharing
Cp
Old 06-20-2008, 08:24 PM
chippedprop

I have to be on the road by 7am !!!
Cp
Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Gryphon

Stryker_Viking,

Couple of things:

1) His ESCs were send to Castle for repair ( CC80A, CC125A), all he had on hand was castle 35A ESC. Since he did not own 4S, he was running on 3S, and had to prop down to a small prop so he wouldn’t burn out his ESC. This falls under the category of info that you might not have known.

2) The 4S data was applicable to this case. Because when you raced King_Paul you where running 4S. This goes under the full disclosure part that we like to see.

He specifically told me the watts that you told him you were running. Since you just said that your only data covers 4S, that is another verification of you running 4S. However I do understand if you cannot remember. This was just one flight out of many for you.

Reason we remember was due to him having a triple whammy that night.
a) Your 4S, b) thinned wing, and c) his ESC with less than half the normal rating that he needed.

How do I remember so well? I was speaking to him on the phone as you drove up, after talking to him, he handed you the phone and we talked for a while. Right after flight he called me. He and I have discussed this a few times since that day…well it was night time for me in East Coast.

It does not even matter if you had 4S or 3S. When racing a guy who is making half of his power due to super small ESC, that cannot be called ….Anything

†faster then him….. he couldn't catch up with me†yeap that can be true when he is at HALF POWER.

His 16/25/2 2650 MEGA can radar 120 MPH on 3S if pushed using a full profile Stryker, actually a Stryker with more drag than full profile due to lots and lots of tape and Co-pilot sensor on top. One that has stock vertical fins and is still retaining side air inlets…because I did it, 118MPH into slight head wind (he does not run Co-pilot).

You know Don’s 2700 motor on 3S and thinned wing cannot reach those speeds in level flight and no wind on radar…using a Stryker.

Your post was great showing that thinned wing needs less power to fly at same speeds.

***My only issue was that just reading your post; “Don’s 2700 motor and thinned wing flies faster than KING_Paul†GIVES THE WRONG IMPRESSION because it is not the complete story and does paint the wrong picture, and takes your great post and makes it partially misleading…unintentionally of course.

I got a call from a MEGA motor owner asking if it was that easy for someone to beat him, I had to say no and then give explanation since your post was not complete.

You should have left King_Paul’s name out of it, or do mention that his V8 was running with 4 spark plug wires removed (too small a prop because of extremely undersized ESC just so he could get airborne.)

There have been numerous posts by me stating what motor he runs some saying same motor as me.

I occasionally miss a post or intend to get back to it and forget, pretty sure same thing happened with you because I think I’ve asked for data on Don’s motor couple of times or more.
Not a big deal though.
I maybe wrong but I thought some of those times it was addresses directly to you.
Again, not an issue.

A friend is interested in running 4S on Don’s 2700 motor, I’m not sure how far it can be pushed safely and with what prop. As far as I know, you are the only person on this thread with such data for that particular motor.

So please post your own personal 4S data,…thank you in advance.

Regarding you not liking secrets……I know you better than that.

Also talking off line does not mean secrets, it means no need to discuss everything on public posts. I prefer hearing your voice on the phone and talking about radical and new ideas.

I’ve been told you are flying a glider, do you do slope soaring or thermals?

Gryphon
Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Brazman

My stryker is full profile...I race all you bishes!!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:28 PM
TallDoode

Anyone running their Stryker with a Spektrum AR6100e? I have flown mine about 20 times and this morning I was flying and lost it. I was doing a fly by at 1/2 throttle and was going to turn left and climb but the stryker didnt respond. A second later it went full throttle, did a hard right turn and did a nose in crash about 4 feet from a flying buddy. It was not pretty and could have been a lot worse. The Stryker is a complete loss but luckily my friend is still my friend. I have heard of issues with Spektrum Receivers in planes that have 5+ digital servos but the Stryker has 2 small servos. I was only 2 minutes into my flight so my battery could not have been depleted.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced brown outs like this on your Stryker. I think I will stay away from the AR6100e and get the more expensive receivers. This is the second plane I have lost with the AR6100e. First time is a glitch but after two, something seems to be amiss.

Thanks,

dave
Old 06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Gryphon

TallDoode,

Way too many people crash with AR6100, assume same issues w/ AR6100e.

Call the various companies and see if they will help you with replacement of parts at some level from discounted to free.
The receiver better be replaced for free by Horizon hobby.

Only receivers that get recommended around here are the AR6200 and AR7000. They have a second satellite receiver and it can be installed 6" away in foam side wall.

In future if you have a choice go with 6V Universal BEC of 2A rating for the Stryker.

I heard they do free upgrades to firmware to reduce brown out "reboot time".

They also sell a voltage protector for $6
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM1600

Again don't mess around. The AR6200 will be well worth the price difference.....how bad will you kick your selves after the next crash if similar thing happens?

When calling Horizon to talk to them about free replacement of Ar6100e, pay the price difference to upgrade to AR6200.

I have to go now…hmmmm, your motor came on full throttle...I have to think about that some more later.
***Make sure that you always do a re-bind of the receiver after the build has been finished and setup.

Good luck,

Gryphon
Old 06-21-2008, 04:08 PM
AeroRecon

Ok, here is an odd request. Has anyone seen a case for a Stryker or have such a case?? I like to always carry mine for a quick video shoot when the opportunity presents itself, but the Summer heat in a small pickup can be hard on it....warping and twisting parts.
I guess it would have to be tall enough for the tail fins...but could otherwise be pretty flat. Anyway, just thought I would ask.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Brazman

TallDoode,
It sounds like your failsafes weren't set properly. With the spektrums I believe this is done by binding with the controls in the desired failsafe positions.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Speeddriven

Hi everyone,
It's 12 midnight eastern time and I just finished working on the EL DIablo Stryker! Hooked up
the Thunderpower 3S extreme V2 2200mah 25C pack to
Silver series 35A esc,and stock motor and did a bench test...Has some power!
Waiting on 4S to come in. looking foward to that.

Maidening my 2 Strykers tommorrow.(weather permitting) I AM READY TO FLY.
Will be running an APC 6x4E prop on both for starters.

We will try to get some good video, no guarantees, my wife will be operating the camera...LOL

Sincerely,
Speeddriven

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74019.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	975695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29053.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	975696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86898.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	975697  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Gryphon

Speeddriven,

Good luck on your maiden(s).

F-27C motor: If that 3S battery is cycled, then feel free to step up to 6.5" diameter props.
I would feel safe running the 6.5X5.0 , maybe even 6.5X5.5.
Even the stock battery and ESC can handle APC E 6X5.5

So really should run 6.5" diameter prop on 3S after battery is cycled for MUCH better climbing, more speed, better acceleration and easier launch capability.

Have fun, I hope you'll be hanging out with a good friend.

I'll fly my beast when I see Chippedprop sometime in near future. I just need 2 more ZIP ties(for custom motor mount) and to cycle the 5S-5000 battery on Monday...so I'm ready.

Gryphon
Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 AM
AeroRecon

New video over golf course added. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMVl_dUCxCQ]Meadows Farms Golf Course[/link]

I finally got my bird rebuilt. MUCH more sturdy. When remounting the motor I put a chunk of my wife's cutting board under top and bottom and used small bolts and lock nuts. Came out much better. Its the thin kind of sheet...silicon or something.
Going to get a re-maiden on it in the morning....will get some photos then.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Brazman

Gryphon,

good to hear you are nearly ready to go.

I crashed my plane today. Bad receiver location I think. Lost control of it a a fair distance away and it went in hard inverted. Seems the glass payed off as it's fixable and while I'm relocating the receiver (I will also switch the ar6200 for a new one just in case) I will make room for the logger. I did a static test on the APC 6x5.5e on nearly full packs and also did some doppler on the new video. Long story short I am quite disappointed. I am dopplering it at 135mph with no wind on the 6x5.5e. I really don't think these props are stiff enough for this kind of power. I suspect the blades are flattening out and causing it to unload. Static test showed 1700 watts after 5 seconds. I will cut down another 6.5x5.5 to 6x5.5 as I did on the first plane and try that.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:43 AM
chippedprop

AeroRecon
Man you have some great vids.
Can you post pics. of the plane and setup and what type of equipment. If it's secert stuff PM me.
I use the, "I have no idea what your talking about" security system works very well

I here by proclaim AreoRecon the offical thread aerophoto expert.
Cp
Old 06-22-2008, 06:45 AM
chippedprop

Gryphon
1 more weekend to go then I will be free. The one coming up.
CP
Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 AM
flyguy1976

In need of more speed for a f27c stryker. I am currently using a Align 430X Brushless Motor(3550KV) RCM-BL430X motor with 40 amp speed control with a 2200mah 3s batt and a stock prop. It appears to go faster with the new motor but need more. Any help would be great thanks. Keep Flyin
Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Speeddriven

Brazman,
I am very sorry to hear that.What's going on with the Spektrum receivers?Can those of us running the AR6200 be confident that it will not fail?

Maidened today without any glitches. Uploaded video links below.

No tripod was used so video is a little shakey, will use tripod next time. My wife did her best and I thank her for that..."props to her!" LOL

Thanks Gryphon,
Did'nt get your post till after I maidened both Strykers.I look foward to changing props!
Thanks again for your help.It was awesome to say the least.

Sincerely,
Speeddriven

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2949526/8430762[sm=punching.gif]
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2949338/8430510

Old 06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Flightops_69

HOLY CRAP SPEEDDRIVEN!!!! Thats awesome!!! Congrats to getting your wife to help. My wife went out with me "1" time, and her and my daughter said they were bored. <sigh> I gonna have to get your setup or something close!! Good job!! (paint job is sweet too, and I like your stryker carrier on the car!)
Old 06-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Gryphon

Speeddriven,

You are awesome...not just your planes.

You did it, you did everything you said you were going to do. Nice

I want to thank you and your wife for the videos.

I think the two birds sounded different.

Simulations agree with your approximate speed difference of roughly 15 MPH during the maidens, but the wailing sounds of the MEGA made it seem more.

With the MEGA, after couple more prop changes you will be flying 40%-45% faster. Roughly 50% if you want to risk the motor. So 45% faster would be just awesome....and that is with same 3S pack
Any performance you want at a quick change of a $3 prop. APC E 6X5.5 can go on after another flight or two.

I just can't wait to hear what you think of APC E 7X5 and the amazing climbing you'll see. It'll draw same as APC sport 7X7 but focus all that power for climbing instead of speed....[X(]

Your second plane flew same as F-27C plus a couple of MPH faster because of the battery. I believe it may perform like the maiden of the MEGA when you change to APC Pylon 6.5X5.5. Your upgraded ESC and battery will help the stock F-27C motor come alive......for how long, we will see??? [:-] hope fully a very long time.
Get that heat sink to use when/if needed...summer just started.

Look for nice grass to land on.

Anyway, you made me very happy and it was a pleasure working with you buddy.

You and WESCAM will be flying together soon. I think he is changing to wooden elevons.

So your wife took the video huh......lucky guy...you just made a lot of people jealous just on that fact.

Have a great weekend...you may need to be looking for an extra charger so you can fly all of your planes back to back.

Gryphon
Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Gryphon

AeroRecon,

That is one of clearest onboard videos that I've ever seen.

Details buddy: Such as camera used, settings, software, camera mounting and angle, other tips such as how to fly while taking video, etc...

You are THE Video Professor (not the guy on late TV) and the proof is in your link above.

Please help us learn how to make high quality onboard videos.

We thank you for your great videos. It'll never be too many.

Gryphon
Old 06-22-2008, 04:55 PM
chippedprop

Speed

ANOTHER SATISFIED CUSTOMER[sm=thumbup.gif]
Please take the Wife out for dinner.

GREAT just GREAT
CP
Old 06-22-2008, 05:16 PM
chippedprop

Flyguy
Welcome to your one stop source for all your Stryker needs.
Loose the stock prop. Purchase APC 6x5.5 & 6x4 & 5.5x4.5 props You will need to purchace a prop balancer (20 bucks-lasts a life time) Buy at least 2-3 props in each size. You may need a prop adapter also. I also assume you are not using the stock servos.
I have found on the Align you really need a 4 cell batt. to make it go.

If you have 4 cell batts. then use those on the align.
If you go with a 4 cell start with the 5.5x4.5 and work your way up. Check temps on everything as you go up in size and pitch. If it's to hot to touch more then 2 seconds with out the ouch factor your Ok biggest thing will be battery to hot.
CP
Old 06-22-2008, 05:50 PM
LT-40
My Feedback: (2)

Speeddriven,

That was amazing!!! Congrats on both of the flawless maidens. (Thats pretty rare you know) Its so nice to hear that Mega again! It reminded me of my maiden a while back. Don't worry, when you prop up, that ear-splitting high pitched sound won't be quite as bad

Anyways, congratulations again!

LT
Old 06-22-2008, 07:57 PM
AeroRecon

Awesome Speeeeed!!! Great looking bird and great video! Thanks!!! Wish my wife and kids would get into my passion!!!

Here a few details on my aerial video setup: Stryker body, stock fins and elevons, HS-81 (now HS-82mgs) for servos.... Eflite 2700, CC 35esc, TP 2100 LiPos...
I mount my off the shelf Sony T7 in a custom pod (chunk of pool foam cut out with lots of 3M tape) for the camera carrier. I add chunks of foam under the pod for more forward looking video when desired.
Turn on the flight systems, turn on the camera and push start. Then throw. Once airborne and up a few hundred feet, I trim out for like 10% throttle and trim for smooth flight. I do have a co-pilot that I use but mostly to get me out of trouble...not so much for video cuz it wiggles too much. I shoot for early morning flights or just before sunset....nice and calm.

Then, I dump to my laptop and depending on the shakyness, I will run the video through GooderVideo.com SteadyHand. They have a free trial too so you can see if it works for you. Have to tweak the settings but the Golf Course videos both use it pretty well.
Then I edit the Steadied or raw video with Windows Movie Maker. Its free and works well. Then save to my PC and the upload to youtube. The high quality option looks great there and is the same as viewing on my local PC.

That is about it. Nothing magical other than my Stryker, which is magical in itself!

My rebuild is done. Gonna maiden in the morning. First a few flights then video. Lots of CF and 3M tape and epoxy. New Hs-82MG servos. My LHS had no 81MGs and they said these were new and better. We'll see...

Later......
-Allen
Old 06-22-2008, 07:58 PM
flyguy1976

chippedprop thanks for the tips. I am ultimately looking to get to 120mph. With the mods so far what would you conceive the potential speeds to be. Also with the 4 cell should I stay with the 11V size as well.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:12 PM
AeroRecon

Thanks Gryphon!!!
I have not decided on a new video pod. Thinking of something that spreads out the wind disturbance underneath. Will probably stick with what I have for now but and workin on ideas for a new pod. Will keep everyone informed. Nothing to hide here!!! Open source ideas make us all look good!!

Guys, don't fear strapping your favorite digital camera in a chunk of pool foam and sending it up. Try it! You'll like it!!! And if like me, you will feel funny flying WITHOUT a camera!!!

-Allen
AeroRecon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.