Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 AM
AeroRecon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

All better now. Moved the battery about an inch and a half forward. Now I am about 1/4 inch forward of the holes.
Moved the front electronics into a lower cavity to make room. Also loosened the rear motor mount bolts and was able to force the motor to tilt pointing more down in front. All these things made it fly much better.
Camera gets strapped on later today!!! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

-Allen
Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
supermo26

If you stripped out a stock servo would you replace it with a stock on or go with something else? If so what?

Does an aftermarket servo require and extension?
Old 06-24-2008, 02:41 PM
iamman711

We like the Hitec HS-82MG servos. I posted a question a few days ago about why my HS-82MGs made a sound at their end travel. I then bought 2 more and swapped them and they made the same sound. I guess, compared to the stock servos, the HS-82MGs do make a little bit sound possibly due to the metal gears.

So far the results have been good, I get a lot more throw and can manuever my Stryker so much better in every direction.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:51 PM
AeroRecon

ianman711,

I have not noticed the sound other than slight flutter, but I will check tonight. I HAVE noticed improved responsiveness...which is taking some getting used to. I changed too many things this rebuild so its like a new (heavier) Stryker.

Allen
Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Spid

supermo,

I'm assuming you are running a stock Stryker. Replace with stock unless you are going to replace both. You should always try to keep your servos matched (brand/type) on elevon contolled planes.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Gryphon

AeroRecon,

If that flutter sound is not from your modifications from camera mounting pod, then I assume it is from your elevons.

I hope you installed them pretty much against the foam T.E. You can try running hinge tape or other tape and see if the sound goes away.

Your increased weight should make your plane more stable than ever....after you get the C.G. and other things dialed in.

Give it 2 weeks of getting used to and you might never like the feel of a lite Stryker again. The heavier birds just feel so much more stable. Almost every person has given the same comments.

However different people have different needs and wants.

Let me know if you want to discuss fine adjustments of Co-pilot, not just Gain adjustment. When you turn it on, does it try to level but still have a little bit of rise, dive, or banking to one side?

You can get it adjusted with some trial and error so when it gets turned on, you don't see a change in your video angle....or have that effect absolutely minimized so you will be happy.

Strykers get launched at 35 to low 40 o.z range with no issues given firm launch and high throttle.

I will launch a 60 o.z. Stryker when I meet with chippedprop and we will see what happens. Should post on that in about 2 weeks.

Gryphon
Old 06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
AeroRecon

Still no camera mounts yet. Today was a great flight and I am much happier.
The flutter/wiggle I refer to is this: I used a threaded rod and metal clevis on each end. The servo end I put a drop of CA on. The eleveon connection clevis is sorta wiggley...but did not want to CA yet so I can adjust...maybe never. But there is the slightest amount of wiggle room in the elevon. The connector wiggles, not the actual elevon, and it is right up to the TE...though not foam....I added a CF strip there a long time ago. CA and tape for that.

I have my Co-Pilot on a dial on the Tx. It was at 100% on the unit then I just bumped it up as needed. I backed the adjustment down about a quarter and I think I like it better like this...even with my Tx dial. Trim is not right though. May take you up on getting that set right. When flying pretty straight and level, and I crank it up, it wants to bank slightly. I thought it just took level for level and made its adjustment?

Take off is still scary and unstable. I need to work on that. Flying is more stable with the weight. Glides really nice too.

Hoping to finally get the camera on in the mornig for a few tests...hoping I can keep it off the ground at launch. The fields are so wet that early....like landing underwater. Oh well.

Thanks for the tips and the PM Gryphon. I appreciate the comments and I won't use those terms any more!

-Allen
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Gryphon

AeroRecon,

Is there any play where the rod connects to servo arm?

Is there any play where the clevis connects to control horn?

I forgot you had done my favorite C.F. T.E. mod (quick and easy), that sure helps make the stock elveon be more effective at high speed.

Now you have a stiffer wing too, no wonder it is being very responsive.

I know you always launched with motor on, but now that you are going to throw firmer and with full throttle or near full throttle, just pay a little more attention before launch. Take each launch seriously.

With camera mounted, you need a HARD throw, once it goes in the air, the flight will be fine.

Biggest thing with added weight is that you need a harder throw.

Better to get the throw perfect before putting your cam on it. Make sure that your launches are under control and not scary before putting cam on it.

Launch like you are throwing a javelin.....and ALWAYS move your hand in an ARC to get it to come down and away from the prop.

I go through the process in my head once or twice before each launch and I clear the LARGE props by a HUGE margin no matter how hard the powerful Strykers are accelerating.

Get a good procedure down before putting the CAM on....remember soggy grass and you don't want cuts on your hand.

Most people do report back that the heavy Strykers still glide well. I agree with you on that.

Gryphon
Old 06-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Gryphon

Stryker_Viking,

Thanks for the offer, but I didn't realize that chippedprop could take care of the PDF file. So he has it covered.

Later,

Gryphon
Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 AM
AeroRecon

Another great day!!! I mounted the camera pod for video this morning. I kept moving it back until I got a solid 1/4" to 1/3" forward of the CG holes. Built a new foam pod for the camera that is a little more sturdy and tape-sealed it well. Also taped a piece of plexiglass over the lens cutout.
In a word-AMAZING!!! NO wind at all and it took off like a charm, climbed to about 500 feet, chopped the power and it just glided around....absolutely smooth. With power or without, it is amazing how smooth it is with the extra weight. Launch was good. Hard throw with lots of power. The plexiglass cover worked well. No water on the camera at all.

Can't wait to get to the golf course again...and going back down to Nags Head, NC beach this weekend. The extra weight will help in the wind at the beach.

Will work on the video later today. Attached are photos of my 'custom' camera pod. Foam, and tape. Right, real custom but it works for me. The other pic is a video capture from this morning over the city of Fredericksburg, Virginia looking down the Rappahannock River.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78326.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	978131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47822.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	978132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82653.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	978133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47757.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	978134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67667.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	978135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23203.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	978136  
Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 PM
chippedprop

AeroRecon

Will it's not pretty - but it takes great videos Got to love stryker inventions
Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
AeroRecon

Well...it WAS pretty before I used my custom podding mounting system (tape)

I have a vision for an undercarriage foam pod that looks like it's part of the plane...but the tape works the best for me so far. A hard hit and it comes loose, takes a lot of abuse, easy to move around and reposition the camera angle, etc, etc,....

Now that I have a good location based on the CG, I will work towards something more easily removable and looks better.

Thinking of a wide, flat, thick chunk of light, tough foam that I can shape and contour. Then cut the center out to hold the camera in various angles. Still thinking. Gryphon suggested a long time ago to reposition everything in the center out to the wings and then make a big reinforced cutout....kind of like a glass-bottom boat. Still considering that but its a major commitment to cutting up a fuse, and this is the only one I have. Maybe for the next one.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 AM
chippedprop

Aero

I went thru 6- 8 bodies making changes before I got it right. One of the things I like - I can make my own parts fins,elevons, canopys,nose, for little or nothing. New body only 20 bucks. Now I like to make my own parts. You and others my not.

The results speak for themselves. Super videos. I really care about how plane performs and how to improve it.

I don't spend a lot of time on the paint job. Except for the one I'm building now. As long as I can see it and tell which way is up and in what direction it's going I'm happy. I've always been able to tell when I crash inverted so; paint job works.

What really impresses me is the size of the camera and that the Stryker can lift it and fly with it.

What is the weight of just the camera.

Wonder if we know how much weight this plane will lift???
Cp
Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Gryphon

AeroRecon,

How about a hybrid of my previous idea while incorporating your idea?

My previous idea:
Taking out a rectangular chunk of foam under the plane at C.G. for you to place your cam in it, and when you were not flying with your cam, that foam could be placed back. This was not going to shift the C.G. with or without the cam. The surrounding area could be re-enforced for strength.
{One time shifting around of bat, ESC, receiver may be needed}

Your idea:
To have the cam hang down below the belly at an angle.

New Hybrid idea:
The chunk of foam at C.G. can be replaced with wood and/or Plexiglas and hinged in front.
This allows for cam to hang down at an angle, or stay level in belly, or not be installed at all.
Velcro alone can retain door shut.
A servo, or two small servos can open and close door.
Maybe a rod or two in rear going through rubber “O” ring(s) will have enough tension to keep door open against the wind resistance but force of landing will get the door to shut. You launch with door open.
This idea can be modified in many ways to fit your needs.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

chippedprop,

What can the Stryker carry:
I’ve launched 50 o.z. Strykers, but obviously they were not powered by same parts as 23 o.z. Strykers.
The power setting on it for maiden was no more than a 37o.z. 480 MEGA powered Stryker. 50-37=13 o.z.
Now the 37 o.z. Stryker is carrying some weight in the form of lots of C.F. and tape.
So I’m fairly confident that 1 LB or more is doable with firm full throttle launch.
Use of different props can aid in launch. For example changing a 6X6 to a 6.5X5.0, or even 6.5X4.0 to aid in acceleration and climbing.

Gryphon
Old 06-26-2008, 12:54 PM
AeroRecon

Gryphon,
I like that idea. But if you look at my pics, the camera pod is way forward of the CG and the battery is in the same place as without the pod. I am a little forward of the CG holes for balance, but not a lot. I have always wondered how the push of air against the hanging pod affects airflow. Does it push the nose up? How much? Hard to say. The idea of a servo controlled swinging-down pod is cool. Then have it rotate too!

I would love to get one of the new Sony digital camcorders that is basically just a barrel shape. Claims it only weights 9.3oz total. My Sony T7 weighs 4.5oz. I think I could handle double the weight. Hmmm....Only $400. Hmmm....

Thanks Guys. Heading to the beach! The Stryker is all packed and ready to go!

Allen
Old 06-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Gryphon

AeroRecon,

Since the camera is forward of C.G. and the battery is further back than normal to help C.G. and is mounted above cam, you can do the following in next build:

Push battery forward, push Camera back.

Because the cam was adding weight in front of C.G., you had to bring battery back.
With Cam mounted on C.G. the battery can go forward again. That will fix the physical interference issue.
Also one of the main reasons for Camera to be on C.G. is for the cam to have no effect on C.G. Wouldn't make a difference if it was installed or not, the C.G. would stay the same.

When the door is down, there will be a very minor shift in C.G. towards the front...and that is in the good direction.

During a build you have total control of part location….just remember if you need to run long wires, it is better for ESC wires to motor to be extended versus ESC wires to battery.

Gryphon
Old 06-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Well I just can't leave this bird alone, and it won't let go of me.

In the process of creating "Thunder Stryker" Let's just say a roughly 100 mph dive into an unplanned roll instead of a pull out,(servo failed) has pretty much reduced one of my jets to oh about 1/3 it's original size. LOL

And I had a Stryker laying around that was in want of a motor transplant.
Soooooooo, Why not combine the two?

Surgery is in process, a large portion of the Stryker has been excised, and the donor power plant is on ice waiting to be grafted into place.

And it looks good so far, actually looks almost too good. Cowling/ducts and such from the jet are seemingly dropping right into place, almost like they were ment for this bird.

Powerplant instead of sitting up in the air, will actually be mid mounted down low. Heck the entire belly pan of the jet which protects the power plant, for call it dumb luck, is a near drop in. Has all the right curves and angles, the built in hand grips were nearly spot on for the ones on the Stryker.

This is getting a little scarey. Everything fitting right up, this doesn't happen to me.

I'll post some pics of it once I get the fan unit installed.

Here's a quicky shot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83483.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	979052  
Old 06-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Stryker_Viking

Hey AeroRecon

Re. Onboard Video/Photo

Have you thought about the option using small cam's etc.?

It's cheaper and lighter, and most of all smaller...

I'm not updated on the subject at all, but a couple of links I have are:
http://www.blackwidowav.com/
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-Ae...phy/Categories
http://www.raidentech.com/miwispyca.html
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/video-camera.htm

...and so on...

Stryker_Viking
Old 06-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Gryphon

Lord of all lords, the all mighty Glacier Girl,

Hi Brad. Good to see are getting lucky in your current build. They say it is better to be lucky than good, but in your case, you are both lucky and good.

I'll send you a reminder PM about one of your own ideas that might be interesting on this build.

Also check out the high resolution video that was posted a couple pages back by AeroRecon (he uses a Sony camera onboard):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJxJmtRIACY

Chippedprop,

When I see you again in a week to 10 days I'm going to give you one of my spare/Brand new FMA Co-pilots. If you are interested check it out for a while then give it back to me. I have 2 new ones that are in route to me.

Post #205 shows a sample install.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60..._9/key_/tm.htm

Edit: the dip switch positions only applies if JR/Spektrum radio AND sensor oriented same as in my picture for a Stryker.

Later,

Gryphon
Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Speeddriven

This is Major Tom to ground control... oh.. sorry. This is a performance report on the Mega Stryker and the red Stryker.
14 flights have taken place since I last posted. 4 flights with the Mega,10 flights with "el diablo".(more packs to fly)
Concerning the Mega, first 2 flights were with APC 6x4e,last 2 flights were with APC 6x5.5e can't say honestly that I saw much
of a performance increase with that prop progression, but I realize it is to break in new batt. pack. I am wondering how many more flights
with APC 6x5.5e ,before jumping to APC 7x5e? Figured one more. I am getting impatient, and want more performance.

Concerning the stock motor setup, I have not received 4S yet, have been running 3S 25C with 6x5.5 prop for last 8 flights . It does perform well and is agile because I used much lighter carbon fiber reinforcements. I do not have an APC 6.5x5.5 pylon prop, but was wondering if APC 6.5x5 pylon prop would suffice for now running the 3S?

Sincerely,
Speeddriven
Old 06-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Gryphon

Speeddriven,

Switching from 6X4 to 6X5.5 should have given you 20 MPH gain. You should be in the 100-105 MPH speed range.
Make sure the prop is not on backwards. That is common enough.
Also start farther back to allow the plane to reach the higher speed as it passes by.

Either way, don't even waste your time; you are ready for prop upgrade.

Battery is good to go. Go ahead and try to dish out a beating to that battery now.....you can't.

You bought the good TP 3S-5000 25C with 125A constant, 250A burst rating. It can handle more than your motor and ESC.
Don’t mess around too low to the ground. People get excited and common sense goes out the door.

You know all this stuff but it never hurts to hear it again…have fun up high. To catch your breath, just glide up high.

*** After launch and gain of altitude, pull back to part throttle for ½ minute to let the battery warm up internally for maximum life. In cold winter weather give it a minute. Then let the battery know who’s the boss.

If you are flying well, having no issues and mentally ready, go for it fly with APC E 7X5 and get that permanent smile tattooed on your face.

I'm fairly sure that I was radared at 109MPH w/7X5 once with the battery pretty full which was faster than I had projected...must have been that wide blade making serious thrust....honestly that is one run that I want to redo...I'm not used to seeing results 5 MPH faster than my predictions.

Again remember after you run a 7" prop, you will be ruined for life. You will never like smaller props on that setup ever again....LOL...

Let’s see a close up picture of your huge smile after running APC E 7X5 on 16/25/2 2650KV and 3S-5000 with low weight of stock elevons.....should be awesome.
Let’s call it WARP factor 8.2 for the unlimited vertical climbing.

2nd bird:
Sure you can run APC Pylon 6.5X5.0 on stock F-27C motor and upgraded ESC and battery, you are not going to lose any speed and will gain climbing.
During acceleration and climbing the amps will be higher but at max speed in level flight the amp draw will be about same as previous APC E 6X5.5 prop.

The APC Pylon 6.5X5.0 can be put on either plane...don't ask which, just go and have fun.

I was kidding about the picture.

Gryphon
Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Gryphon

Speeddriven,

10th flight of identical setup as yours in UK, but with wooden elevons:

http://media.putfile.com/MEGA-STRYKE...NG-OF-THE-END-

None 2.4 GHz I believe.

Gryphon
Old 06-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Brazman

Repairs to my stryker are coming along nicely. I have had another look at the video and didn't realise how fast it was going when it when in. I think my brain was operating in slow motion. I have finished filling and sanding the nose section. It looks ugly right now mut it's very smooth. I am relocating my satellite reciever on the ar6200 to the very front of the plane (via one of the spektrum extension link cables) to hopefully avoid the same happening again. I have also moved the main receiver and hopefully will have room now for the logger. I have also cut down another 6.5x5.5 pylon to 6x5.5 (the same as in the youtube video). I will reglass the damaged section tonight. When i'm done it will be as good as new although it will be a touch heavier.

I am working on some video for you guys though I haven't had much time with my wife giving birth to our third child last weekend. I also want to get some record breaking dopplers before I put too much into it. I also destroyed one of my packs in the crash so I need to get some more batteries as well. Hopefully some more capable ones that will be good for 3kw or so
Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Speeddriven

Brazman,
Good to hear from you,and congrats on the birth of your child.It's an awesome experience as you know.
Can't wait for your video.

Gryphon,
Thank you. Will go with the props you suggested, off to the flying field.Will report later.

Sincerely,
Speeddriven

I am back from the flying field ,so I am editing my last post.

O.K.... positively,unlimited vertical performance with the APC 7x5E prop, and significant straight line speed increases.
Very pleased with vertical performance, but I strongly suggest that anyone running this setup BUILD WOODEN ELEVONS. I can see how this upgrade
is necessary for more stability at these speeds .Probably 105+. I did notice that the flight time was a little shorter, but not much considering the size of the prop change. Working on getting a radar gun. Found a buddy at the field that has a watt meter.That will
be very helpful.He flys turbine jets,and said this is" the fastest Stryker I have ever seen" He will be building one also...Watch out everyone.this guy
does not play around!

I would like to try the pylon prop to see if I get more straight line speed.Flew the Diablo two more times with the same 6x5.5E prop.Need to drill pylon prop to
fit the prop adapter.

Overall,I am very pleased with this investment.

Sincerely,
Speeddriven

P.S. LET'S NOT FORGET THE BRUTAL TEMPS HERE IN FLORIDA>IF THAT'S NOT A TESTIMENT TO THESE SETUPS,I DO'NT KNOW WHAT IS...I FLEW MOSTLY FULL THROTTLE.(heat index of 95+) Flight time on mega stryker 10 minutes mostly full throttle.Winds around 7 mph . After flight battery was not hot.Mega motor was a little on the hot side.Will take temp gauge next time for true temp reading.Stock motor was on the hot side on el diablo. Will get temp reading of that one after flight also.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Gryphon

Brazman,

I had forgotten that you had crashed but I'm glad it is coming along well now.
I'll catch you on Yahoo IM some time soon.

Speeddriven,

APC Sport 7X7 will get radared at 115 MPH expect a slight roll to one side if you have not seen the beginning of one.

Not sure if you taped over your stock elevons or not, I have not done it yet but a couple of people who had done it liked the results.

**King_Paul has a special ULTRA quick C.F. mod for the stock elevons. I wrote about it on Part 6 thread.
If you do a search and find that post #, let me know.
It was not the kind of C.F. that we put in wings, so don't get too creative there.

APC Sport 7X7 will keep you within the limit of all 3 parts.

***Duration of full throttle should be determined by the battery temp because of ambient temperatures.
That goes for any of your props.
If the battery gets kind of hot, then next flight should get shorter duration of full throttle.
Although the max AMPs from your motor is not too much for your battery, the ambient temps together with high amps together with long duration of wide open throttle can over heat and damage your battery.

Good thing about 7X5 is that at wide open throttle it unloads some AMPs in level flight, during climbing the amps spike back up. On ground the APC E 7X5 will draw same as that APC sport 7X7 or just barely more (according to my previous tests). Don’t expect reduction of amps at high speed with 7x7.

Gryphon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.