Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Gryphon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

rino,

I'm hearing that people are playing with Zippy packs these days.

But Rino...I wonder why you run such little packs when it seems like you are interested in BIG Power.

If you were not aware of this; we are talking about 25-30% power difference while running the same props (depends on particular setup that push small packs hard.

I have seen 26+% power difference or more on a few occasions.

Don’t just randomly jump all over the place. Think about things, have a plan, think of future, weight, cost, etc....then get a second opinion if you like, then order....you'll end up with a better setup.

Ideally, you'll pick a pack that you will run at 90% of constant current rating so it can run cooler than otherwise and live longer.

Gryphon
Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Gryphon

Wayne Miller,

I'm glad you are taken care of...I wish you the best with whatever setup you have coming. I guess we will soon see.

By the way, occasionally we have had people who would refuse to share their setups or share their data. Thank god there has not been so many of them...let’s say 1%.

Gryphon
Old 10-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Flightops_69

Hey Wayne, its the same comradery in the pilot community too. Go to any small airfield and sit around Base Ops, you'll see pilots talking and doing the same thing the R/C pilots do, and often pilots are r/c too. (I am)

Oh, maiden flight went well, just need to make my vert stabs a little bigger. Plane was a little twitchy. Wish I had a CP, to put in with the big stuff I want to add, would make me feel safer. Putting the berg in the wing left me with alot of space to play with in the cockpit. I cant believe how small that RX is, works quite well too, no glitches or anything.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:48 AM
moparmyway

The guy on the phone @ Castle quoted me the dimensions in inches and we converted it to mm over the phone, turns out to be more like 29mm x 65mm (400/480 mount pattern). Custom job 4-6 weeks unless Steve isnt too busy, then wait time would be 2-4 weeks, 700w sustained 1400w burst, but (I forgot his name) he said you can push them ALOT more in a Stryker because of all of the fresh air the motor will grab. I cant see..........................no................... .......light[>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:]
Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 AM
moparmyway

Wayne Miller
package will be sent out this week, probably Thurs-Fri, sorry for delay, but weather here FORCES me to fly. Actually holds a gun to my head, and for some reason there seems to be alot of darkness[>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:]
Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM
enephel
My Feedback: (13)

Hey,
I have a question that is off topic but I am pretty sure I read it on one of these Dark Side threads.

Video editing software that takes very shaky video and makes it look near perfect. I remember it being about $29. It had the word "Corder" in the name.

Sound familiar anyone?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 10-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Gryphon

enephel,

The following is a copy and paste from Yahoo Instant Messenger.....It would be a little differnt in a post.

Aerorecon, thank you for the following:

http://www.goodervideo.com/ SteadyHand is the tool

It works well, but does take time. Finding the right compression choice takes time.

And sometimes makes really big files. Like going from a 500meg source to 5 gig finished file.

Windows Video Maker is choppy trying to load and display large files like that.

But overall, I do like it.

VirtualDUB is free: a guy's college project that sprouted legs

"I use VirtualDub with the Gunnar Thalin v2.2 Deshaker"

I think its an addon or a different post-editing tool.

I will send you a PM with a link in it,

Gryphon
Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Mr. Mugen

Hey just noticed your 2000th post gryphon....dang and nearly all of them were dedicated to strykers! Way to go Guru!

Kevin
Old 10-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Gryphon

Mr. Mugen,

Thank you my friend.

I knew it was coming up, but I lost track.

I remember doing the same for GG (brad) on his 5000th post.

I've been thinking more and more about that secret ULTIMATE 28mm motor that I found which you and I had been talking about.

We might have to place our multiple orders(4 so far) by end of next month. I never thought anything could be as good as NEU 1115 series...but I was pleasantly surprised.
Imagine that...lower resistance than higher KV NEU and Medusa motors.
We should have great motor efficiency, along with great prop efficiency, for Great system efficiency at 135+ MPH.....that is before we prop up for real power. [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Also I had a chance to speak to moparmyway on the phone today. He is very technical, and has the data logger, 125A ESC like us. When the time comes, I think we can make the offer for him to join in on the order if he wants. No one else stated the desired tools that I was looking for......see there is usually a good reason for my posts.....He replied to that post on listing tools in no time and made a great impression on the phone. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Let’s save our pennies for the next few weeks.

Gryphon
Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Gryphon

moparmyway,

If you like to know the resistance on your two new NEU motors let me know.

They are not published on the web site.

Occasionally you can look in the online simulator and see the values for a motor that is not on the regular table of specs online.
For example the 1115/2Y 1550KV.
It is not here: http://www.neumotors.com/2008/Root/S...00_series.html

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...rs/nm1100.html

But can be found here: http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/neumotorscalc.asp

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/castlecalc.asp

Unfortunately your two motors are not listed in either place.

Let me know if you want the resistance values so you can do simulations by scrolling down to bottom of motor list and choosing Custom...forget KT that is a calculated value by online simulators...we don't need to enter anything there.

I believe your NEU 2900 KV can be an awesome 3S motor but for all out power 3S-5000 30C might be min. May want (2) 3S-3300 25C in parallel as 3S-6600 25C.
Sure it can go fast on 4S, but will not be ideal. on 4S I think it'll need several hundred more watts to reach same high speeds as a better KV...and that is if it can reach the same speeds.
ON 3S it should easily get to 125MPH....total wild guess: it will use 1A for every MPH and blow away all other motors on 3S.

1115 1900KV on 5S and higher relative AMPs will be sweet. Consider 5S-3850 25C or so....5S-3300 25C absolute minimum when pushing hard. Should swing good size prop and have high system efficiency at 135MPH...Roughly 6.5" diameter prop.

If I wanted to run fast and hard on large 4S, I would go with 1115 2300 KV so I can use better size prop for best all around experience.
It is not too late to change the KV of that motor by changing your order.

That is my best guess, but feel free to experiment with the 2900KV....we will all benefit from the results of either one.

Gryphon
Old 10-21-2008, 05:32 PM
moparmyway

Gryphon, excellent crystal ball in your posession, will speak more tomorrow. Which fried first, the ESC or the motor??? (PS, 4s-3850, APC 6.5 x6.5, 2700)

Totally with you on 5s, ordered 5000mah, TP X-treme today

Would love to know resistance of the new NEU motors, and I need to know some more info on the secret, but I am thinking about jumping on the bandwagon with you guys

Will I have room for 2 3s-3300's? The 3850's are a tight fit by themselves with Oracle, oh well there goes the neighborhood, more foam on the office floor tomorrow
Old 10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Gryphon

moparmyway,

they are still open for business due to time zone(Nevada)...call ASAP and stop that 5S-5000 order...how will you C.G. it?

Remember my MEGA-Zilla is nose heavy with 8 o.z. 36mm motor on rear and 1 o.z. heat sink and wooden elevons, custom motor mount and a ton of C.F. while using 5S-5000 25C.

Think 3850mAH....4500 if wanting to be extreme...your AMPS are not going to be so high with lower KV motors.....much much lower than 2900KV.

5S-4500 mAH will be a mistake but not as bad a 5S-5000. TP does not sell 4S-4500 168mm long anymore.

Your two motors will have 50A-60A differnce between their max AMPs, 5S-3850 maxed can feed the motor fine...you'll still have forward C.G.

Gryphon
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

moparmyway: I understand the torture you must be going through having to be forced to fly, hang in there ;-) and do your best to stick it out. Thanks for the update on the shipping.

Gryphon: Do you have Motocalc? It is a free download for a 30 day trial period. I looked under their MOTOR listings and they have the specs for the Neu motors listed. They also have a great deal of information listed under their HELP - including how to get the KV for an unknown motor. If you don't have MotoCalc, plug it into google and it will list the site.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Larry Driskill

[/quote]
UPDATE 18 October: The MEGA 16/25/3 is turning an APC 8X6 sport 12,000 with a Zippy 2200 3s. Thrust feels pretty strong. Flight impressions to follow.
[/quote]

I finally got a flight with the 8X6 and it was very nice.
Unfortunately the wind was blowing about 20 knots.
Vertical was pretty much unlimited right to the point I was flying a fly speck.
Sweet.

Gryphon, you listed a 7X8 as a 4s choice. How about a 7X8 on my 3s setup?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Gryphon

Wayne Miller,

Yes I do have motocalc. I've been using it for well over 2 years now.

Please list the the values for NEU 1115 1900 and 2900KV that moparmyway has...I guess your vision is better than mine.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Larry Driskill,

Watch your hand during launch.

Yes 7X8 is an option for roughly 95 MPH...maybe little more....but it is hard to give up the climbing. If you want to switch, do it soon. When you get spoiled with the climbing of 8X6 there will be no going back.
10 MPH more, or 40-50% more climbing? I go for 40-50% more climbing...LOL...take your pick.

7X9 is a choice too, but will only get you another 4 MPH over 7X8...expect some loss of climbing. as pitch goes up given a fixed diameter....(unless pitch is way way low). Keep in mind when pitch is more than diameter; the amps climb as speed increases.

See what you can find in the 7.5" diameter prop...only one I know of had 5" or 6" pitch...search

If 8X6 AMPs are not too much for you and you want more speed, then go for 8X7 Sport for 10 MPH speed gain.
You might start with 5 AMPS more than now (on ground), but unload less so at max speed it'll have 15A more.

note: your RPM sounds a little low...check it again, I had a little more RPM with a higher load APC E 8X6. If your pack was not that full then all is well. Stay at full throttle 2 seconds longer...some meters average RPM over a short time, so a quick RPM reading will not show max RPM.

Gryphon
Old 10-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Gryphon,

Sorry, I did check for the listed Neu motor in Motocalc and your right, that motor is not listed yet. I'm guessing Stefan hasn't come across one yet.

However, if you go to the Motocalc help menu, select "Help Topics" then "Making a Performance Prediction", then "Specifying Motor Information" and then "Measuring Motor Parameters", you can scroll down to "Brushless motors" and it will tell you how to measure any motor and retrieve the needed specifications.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Larry Driskill,

Watch your hand during launch.

Yes 7X8 is an option for roughly 95 MPH...maybe little more....but it is hard to give up the climbing. If you want to switch, do it soon. When you get spoiled with the climbing of 8X6 there will be no going back.
10 MPH more, or 40-50% more climbing? I go for 40-50% more climbing...LOL...take your pick.

7X9 is a choice too, but will only get you another 4 MPH over 7X8...expect some loss of climbing. as pitch goes up given a fixed diameter....(unless pitch is way way low). Keep in mind when pitch is more than diameter; the amps climb as speed increases.

See what you can find in the 7.5" diameter prop...only one I know of had 5" or 6" pitch...search

If 8X6 AMPs are not too much for you and you want more speed, then go for 8X7 Sport for 10 MPH speed gain.
You might start with 5 AMPS more than now (on ground), but unload less so at max speed it'll have 15A more.

note: your RPM sounds a little low...check it again, I had a little more RPM with a higher load APC E 8X6. If your pack was not that full then all is well. Stay at full throttle 2 seconds longer...some meters average RPM over a short time, so a quick RPM reading will not show max RPM.

Gryphon
I saw Lee Liddle, an RC Combat pilot, use a discus launch on a Stryker. I should have paid more attention to his technique . . . .

I have "made" a 7.25X8.5 from a MasterAirscrew 8X6. I thinned and reshaped the tip to be more APC looking. Some of the pitch will probably come out when the prop relaxes a bit. It is turning 14,000.

I have three Zippy packs that have seen many flights. They may be getting a bit aged accounting for my RPM.

Here is the pitch after the prop has relaxed and cooled.
Station A on my gauge (nearest the root): 4.75
Station B : 6.4
Station C: 7.4
Station D: 8.0
Station E (tip): 8.25

For reference, here's a stock APC 8X6 sport:
A: 4.0
B: 5.5
C: 5.4
D: 5.3
E: 5.5

And an APC 6X5.5
A: 4.5
B: 5.0
C: 5.0
D: 5.5
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Gryphon

Wayne Miller,

I am well familiar with that...thanks.

I don't have those 2 particular NEU motor, so I cannot use that feature of Motocalc that you are talking about, a feature which I have used in the past among many other features.

But I can do one step better.

I do have the actual resistance values for that motor...as measured by Steve NEU the manufacturer of the NEU motor.

If moparmyway wants them, he will let me know...for now I'm going to add those two to my MOTOCALC.

If interested, do an experiment and see how close it comes to your motors advertised values...let us know.

Gryphon
Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Gryphon

Larry Driskill

Double check the stated new size for the modified prop...fairly sure you have a typing error for the pitch...just edit the same post. I'll check back later.

I will edit this post after you do yours and write something else here.

Gryphon
Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Gryphon

Larry Driskill,

Sorry buddy, I had assumed that pitch could not be increased by prop getting cut down..I guess you know what you are doing.

Thanks for the info,

I wonder how many other guys know this stuff.....It just went right over my head. I will assume you are 100% correct. I'll run Motocalc for you and send you an IM.

So you twisted the prop too....with heat I guess.

Be careful at higher power levels and higher voltages in future, I would not trust props that have been messed with due to the high RPMs that we will be running...we are close to their limits at high power levels.

Gryphon
Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 AM
moparmyway

Gryphon, OK, order(s) modified. The 1113/3D (1900) and the 1115/2.5D (2300) are ordered like you suggested over the phone, as I love 4s and the 5s-5000 has been stopped. Will call today round noon. Sent e-mails to Chippedprop and you. Couldnt sleep last night, kept hearing high RPM whining noises[>:][>:][>:][>:][>:][>:]
Old 10-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Gryphon

So you have 4S-5000 coming for 2300 KV.

The 1900KV can make same power but needs more volts and cannot take same amps...so 5S-3850 for 1900KV will enable the 1900KV to make similar power as 2300 KV not be at 80% power of 2300KV while on 4S.

490 grams versus 496 grams...same weight for pack....same ability for making power if motors can handle it.

Let me know if you want to run online simulations,

Gryphon
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Everyone,

*** To KDA motor owners: Please restate your thoughts. feelings, and desires...we need to hear from you ...again.

Lets stay on track:
This is new territory to us all.........for the KDA replacement we have a fixed goal: HIGH POWER, DIRECT BOLT IN FOR F-27C MOUNT, LOW PRICE at a realistic penalty of high weight...most likely an inrunner..........BUT it can not be total junk.
Save us time...don't re-invent the wheel or change parameters, etc...within those goals what can we do?
If we can not come up with it anything, it might get deleted off the list, or de-rated to lower amps, or just left off the list without a replacement.

Personally I don't look at $30 motors ro get high quality and high power motors, but there are times that people ask for things like that, and we want to include everyones needs. Differnet people have differnt financial relities, and differnt goals and differnt desires. Ofcourse that motor table can not include all motors that is why people need to look at that table first and then post if they have SPECIAL NEEDS.

Gryphon
I am glad the KDA 28-47-15 is on the list. I have dozens of flights on mine and find it makes more power than the stock motor.

It has not given me any trouble.

I'm running it on a 3s 2200 battery, using the stock ESC (new style) and an APC 5.5X4.5E prop.

If this forum had not directed me to where I found a MEGA in stock I would have bought another KDA.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
AeroRecon

ORIGINAL: Larry Driskill
UPDATE 18 October: The MEGA 16/25/3 is turning an APC 8X6 sport 12,000 with a Zippy 2200 3s. Thrust feels pretty strong. Flight impressions to follow.
I thought I was reading a post from myself for a sec!! I am flying the exact same things!! Rebuilding now for a lighter weight fuse but those are my same parts...along with the EflitePro60 ESC.
With my camera pod and reinforcements, I am flying about 52oz. Got bit on my last flight so I figured a good time for a rebuild. Going to cut a big hole in the middle to mount my camera pod this time instead of hanging it off the bottom with tape. Should look and fly a whole lot better.
-Allen
Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 PM
moparmyway

Gryphon,

No other batteries ordered YET, old man @ LHS gave green light to me for what we were ironing out over phone, so all I will need is info from you when time is right. No flying today, surgery on #5 as my LAST attempt to straighten her happened this morning, glue still curing, see my gallery if you want. If this dont get her straight, then I will use her for my "donor" progran as my "canned bird" (cannibalize). Guess how much weight is on that thing................

Didnt order any batteries, want to test the Medusa 2800 after our discussion, Oracle will tell all. I think my modifications to the stock mount will hold up to the added weight/length of the Medusas and the NEUs, since I have 2 (2800) motors, one of them will be the guinnea pig. The other one will get installed into #6 by Friday.

Anybody running AR7000,
where is the BEST place to install the receiver and sattellite? And should they be kept away from the ESC like on 72mhz? Anybody got pictures ?

Chippedprop,
Thanks for helping with pictures, any update on the flat deck surgery? I have been modifying the stock mounts, amazing what someone can come up with when desperation sets in. Still want to switch over to your proven mod and I have all of the materials you listed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51117.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1057158  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.