Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
chippedprop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Hi all,
Traditionally after about 100 pages or so a new thread has been started. I was selected to start this one.

If you have a question or comment regarding the F-27 Stryker, this is the place for it. We will either answer your questions or help point you in the right direction.

We also try to help people get into the DARK SIDE, or give them a helping hand in going deeper into the DARK SIDE.

DARK SIDE wants you all ……………………………Muhhhahahahahahha

Remember the following:

Safety first.
Measure three times - cut once.
The only stupid question is the one left unasked.
Don't forget to read that red lettered blurb above the posting box.

ABOVE ALL, be nice to each other.

Past Threads:
Part 1 - 9/12/2004 to 5/6/2005 - 2281 posts
Part 2 - 5/6/2005 to 7/22/2005 - 1860 posts
Part 3 - 7/23/2005 to 1/6/2006 - 2189 posts
Part 4 – 1/6/2006 to 11/22/2006 – 2597 posts
Part 5 – 11/21/2006 to 7/4/2007 – 2511 posts

It's Time to start ANOTHER PARTPart 7
The link below is from me to you. So you the Stryker flyer can get to know me as I hope to get to know you.
Let's get started !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/S3254VXH2F62LKL9

Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Gryphon

Default RE: F27 STRYKER Part 7 : The Basics To The Darkest of Dark

Chippedprop,

You’ve been around since day 1. Almost all of your posts have been on Strykers going back to the first thread of these series. You know this bird and I’m confident that you’ll do a good job.

As an elder I will give you a hand and support you without stepping on your toes. I believe that is a lesson that elders have passed to each other and needs a good balance.

Lots of people around with good knowledge that can help out so don’t feel like all the load is on you. When a question is asked, someone will answer sooner or later. Maybe allowing other people to answer each other's question will get more people to be engaging in the discussions.

Edit: I just saw the video, WOW, awesome. In my PM to GG, I told him that you think outside of the box. You just proved me right with that into video....BRAVO
This will be the best thread ever...YES
Ah yeah, I’ll see you at the Joe Nall event in less than 10 days.

Above all: Have fun

Gryphon
Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 PM
jumper666

Chippedprop, my 1st rc acft was, as yours, a Stryker. My luck with it was very similar to yours: buy, fly, crash, fix, fly, crash. Since, have gone on to other acft but still enjoy Strykers in various configurations. Good luck with Part 7.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=269730
Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 PM
AeroRecon

Thanks Gryphon for all your assistance (and acceptance as I am into making the Stryker my ultimate aerial video platform, not so much for speed)

Welcome chippedprop. Looking forward to your assistance. Like I said, I am into making my Stryker an all-star video platform. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MZPnWZEx3I]You can see my latest video here[/link] and also links to my others. Subscribe if you like to be informed as I post other videos.

Ha! Listening to your bio in another window, and you mentioned Soapbox Derby! All 4 of my kids have raced....my youngest is running Masters again this year in Fredericksburg, Virginia, home to the largest local race in the world. My daughter went to Akron in Masters in 2006. We can chat in PM if interested.

Again, welcome and all hail the Stryker!!

Thanks!

Allen (AeroRecon)
Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Stryker_Viking

chippedprop

Thank you for taking the burdon of moderating this thread, I say burdon because I can see how much time it can take sometimes...
so
Let me know if there's anything I can help you out with, ok.

Also wonder if anyone here has any index of earlier postings?

Stryker_Viking

Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
chippedprop

stryker viking
Br careful what you wish for!!![)]
Old 05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
chippedprop

Areo
Soapbox derby gave me my 1st taste of speed
Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
chippedprop

Ok
First request put some dang pics into gallerys-show off your Strykers!!!
CP
Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
chippedprop

Index will work on that
CP
Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Gryphon

I'll make sort of Index for part 6 in part 6 before I lock it down tomorrow.

It will be top of page 100, and top of page 102 and maybe last page, will let you know. Each post will have other posts linked in it.

Edit: I just sent a PM to a moderator to transfer the blue resource box to top of this thread.

Gryphon
Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Brazman

We finally got some video of the stryker. Will almost definately be the last video we ever see of that one. Whilst it was the most amazing plane I have ever flown in every respect, it had one issue. It didnt like to slow down. Not that it wouldn't fly slow (as you will see in the video) it just didn't like to bleed speed. As a result landing runs were very very long and on the run just after this video i lost power at low altitude a long way from my location and it disappeared. I have dropped flyers in mailbox's and put them on notice boards in case someone finds it. It will almost certainly be a mess as even from low altitude as slippery as it was it would have went in hard. Hopefully I will get some of the equipment back though. If I don't have it back within a week I will start building another one. Better than before. I want 150mph from a stryker and nothing will stop me MWUHUHUHUHAA!! Gryphon..the launch is there for you, even that is easy on this thing. There is a full power vertical in there too, not for long as it was getting small. The speed passes were with a strong cross/head wind. I dopplered one at 143mph though I'm not an expert. I really think that bird on a calm day may have been very close to 150 mph.

ENJOY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSM2kAYxIx4
Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM
KegRaider

Appologies for the bad camera work.... That is the fastest thing I have ever tried to keep in my DV frame and focused! I will need more practice Brazman, so you'd better start glassing your spare fuse
Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 AM
chippedprop

Brazman
SSSWWWEEEEETTTTT!!!!
I'll suggest on the camera to set it to manual focus-pick object in the distance that you think is the same distance away as the plane will go-turn on auto focus-then turn off auto focus (I have bad distance eye site) locks you focus in -you will not have to worry about losing te plane due to focus issuesyou can shoot tighter close ups. I have filmed 200 mph jets passing 30 ft in front of me using the above practice.
Do you have dual rates ??
I use low to fly -high to land putting the plane into a high wing attack (almost stall ) slows to a crawl and with practice plops at your feet (on a good day!!)
I have lost one too like thatI think it had help running away[]
Like losing a family pet-I feel your pain-but on a bright note if someone did steal it and doesn't know that lipos can explode-you may find yet-watch the news for house fires
CP
Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Brazman

The plane has oversize control surfaces which are 2" thick. I do have high and low rates though I don't need to use them with 12mm throws and 2" elevons. The plane will land slow though getting to actually be slow is the issue. If I pull the nose up it will just go up and even if i let it stall it will gain a lot of speed on the decent after the stall (53oz and quite slippery). I can get it to slow down by doing "space shuttle" turns, basically tight S bends on the way in. This was only my 4th or 5th flight with it so I hadn't got used to it yet.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 AM
chippedprop

Got it
I was going to ask if you had larger elevons. I found that 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide elevons with a larger horn on elevon- which makes the elevon move at a steeper angle up to 45 degs
works as a speed brake at low speeds. At 1/3 to 1/2 throttle at high altitude you can almost make it tumble
Keep practicing make sure you stay high until you get it-unlike me where I get into the ground
Video of the day award goes to
Brazman oh 5 smiley faces
CP
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
sirpa

I finally got a solution to my problem with the incomplete movement of both ailerons only when I turn right . I had used too much right trim on the transmitter and the control horn on the right servo was moving up less far than down . Actually , I don't understand why it was moving all the way up while pulling the stick but not when turning right ? Anyway, it's working fine now , thanks Gryphoon for your answer even if the problem didn't come from there , it helped me anyway to understand better the elevon system .I am now waiting to give it a try . I just happened to loose the usual large deserted field where I was flying because some new houses will pop up be right there . I will have to drive 45 km to reach a real small countryside airport where to fly that bird. That will limit my flytime a lot !! too bad.
fortunately , I also have a superfly that can be flown in my backyard . It just isn't that fast but in a way , it might be even more fun than the stock stryker . I haven't yet entered into the dark side of it and I am still flying a stock stryker . My experience is limited by 6 month of quite intense practice and the stock speed is still good enough for me . I am waiting for my first strtyker airframe to be totally destroyed and then I"ll be rady to upgrade for the Funjet with the stock stryker setup . The problem is that except at the beginning when I did crash severly few times , I don't manage to destroy it anymore !!

Thanks to all of you ! This thread really helps .

Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Gryphon

Brazman, KegRaider,

Thank you guys very much for that video. I like it.

Brazman,

I'm so sorry to see you lose that awesome Stryker. What battery, and prop combination were you flying with?

I hope the Eagle tree data recorder was not onboard, and if it was all I can say is: "V3 150A logger".

Were you flying with 2.4 GHz radio or something else?

Brazman, even when you couldn't see your plane you could get it back with the Co-pilot because you know it is level and only input would have been up elevator and full throttle to go vertical so you could see your plane.

I know of numerous Co-pilot stories from many people, including ones from myself, Stryker_Viking, my brother, lots of internet friends. King_Paul is witness to more than 1 unbelievable recovery of mine.

$69, you do have room under the hatches, and it boils down to some drag due to sensor. A slight speed reduction is well worth saving your plane from a crash or a lost plane.

I can't afford not to have it. I do believe that you still have a good chance of recovering your plane. I suggest you notify the local stores and keep an eye on e-bay to cover other possibilities.
Weather you get it back or not think about protecting the next one. For a top speed pass, you can always remove the sensor and hatch and put on a spare hatch.

It has nothing to do with flying skills it is a matter of protecting your investment and labor of love.

Edit: I just noticed that you said you lost power at low altitude. o.k. ...........with co-pilot it would have been a level landing.

Gryphon
Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
chippedprop

Here is some footage I shot of the noon jet demo at 07 Joe Nall
Just to show you can shoot 200+ objects
Yes there are a couple of things wrong
f stop is to open
no polarized lens-left it at home
shutter speed needs to be higher
If you have a consumer grade camera it will do most of the work for you
mine is a prosumer grade will do both -auto and manual-most people will use manual-if you set it up correctly-
Oh well there's always this year
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/S017KPLTGGFP39RN
Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 PM
icejay55

hey guys whats up its been a while and chippedprop congrats now here i go my wife wants me to build her a stryker so my question is have an 480 brushless motor with a 35 amp will it do for a stryker i am not looking for speed for her i just want something that will fly here is a picture of what i did with that motor and motor mount i am trying to use what i have at home since i bought a couple of stryker bodies and motors from a lhs that closed.

motor is 1020kv 480 if this works what size prop should i use any input will be apreciated my wife is driveing me crazy[>:]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43919.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	945094  
Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Brazman

Gryphon,
The Batteries were the 3500's in 6S and the prop was a 6.5x5.5 pylon cut down to 6x5.5 after having some mounting issues with the 6x5.5e. I'm not sure a copilot would have helped me in this situation as it disappeared behind some tree quite a distance away. With the way it retains speed the copilot would have just made it go further whilst out of my sight. I really hope now that it is badly beat up otherwise some little boy will be running around his back yard with it making plane noises. I'm using a DX7 and the receiver was an AR6200 so I doubt range was an issue. The power loss must have been either a dropped cell or the prop coming off (another reason I want it back so I can work out what happened and avoid it happening again). The prop unscrewed before the initial launch and at the time I thought I had just not tightened in properly. In hind site it made an odd clunk when it unscrewed like it motor torque that did it. I retightened it as tight as I possibly could.

Chippedprop,

thanks for the tips on the video
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
chippedprop

icejay55
Try APC E 8x8 make sure batts. can handle 20 amps. When you buy lipo batts. make sure you get a min15c rate better would be 20 -best 25 and above

The higher the c rating the more amps you can pull out. higher rated c lipos will work and last longer 'cause your not over amping on average use
A higher kv motor will get more speedcourse you'll have to go to a smaller prop.
look for 50-60 mph and most likely limited vert. climb
CP
Old 05-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Gryphon

Brazman ,

When you tightened the adapter does the back side of adapter spin? and was there a need to hold it with pliers?

I just bought a cool 5mm prop adapter from www.megamotorusa.com (Ken)

It has a small pre-drilled hole on the side of the back piece (close to motor).

Previously I bought a very cheap micrometer and caliper from a store called COSTCO, they carry random things from time to time. The micrometer came with a small 2" spanner wrench.
The top of the spanner wrench just fits in that hole.

So now I can tighten my prop adapter without having to use pliers on the back piece to prevent it from slipping as I tighten the front, because the spanner wrench can do the same job as the pliers for me.

Let me guess, your prop adapter is so monstrous that it interferes with your running small props. It hits the edge of blade on smaller props? (mine does, don’t even ask me about how I rig it to take readings from real smaller props)

Because of my KV I need to run 1/2" larger props than you for about same amp or watt with same number of cells as you. So that allows me to just escape that issue.....however I have no issue with Aeronaut 6X5 prop. I guess that is due to small variances between different make prop adapters.

E-flight unit is not as nice and my pliers have gummed up the back piece.

A 3rd brand stripped as I tightened it, that was small and fragile but smaller props fit better.

Gryphon
Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM
afpe45

@icejay55,
Do you have a clearer picture of the way you have the motor bolted to the back of the stryker mount or a stripped down couple of shots,
I am always looking for different ways to mount bigger size (dimentions) motors( mainly outrunners as they are quieter,)to the original mount.
I am not a real speed freak and screaming demon

afpe45.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Flightops_69

I was going to ask a question, and after reading about what happened to Brazman's bird (sorry mate), I'm assuming this doenst exist. I was wondering if you could install a RF device that would let you track the lost bird? Just a thought, nearly lost my bird today in strong winds when it took it over officer housing and behind some very tall tree's. I got lucky and was able to climb it and gain visual, so I could glide it back to the parade grounds. (heart was pounding)
Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Flightops_69

Here's an idea I found that never occured to me, using sound to find it. Here's a link, maybe this will help some of us in the future?

http://www.rc-cam.com/lma.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.