Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Magic extra elevator halves are not the same!!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Magic extra elevator halves are not the same!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 11:35 PM
HoovDriver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic extra elevator halves are not the same!!

I am pretty much done installing everything into my new Magic Extra but I think I have a problem. With the current setup of the elevator rods I get more deflection on one of the elevator halves than the other. After looking at it for some time I have determined that the straight rod seems to move more while the bent rod doesn't move quite as much. The wheel collars are tight as hell and I CA'd the rods together so there is no slop in them at all. I think the straight rod moves more due to the fact that it is on the outside of the servo arm moment whereas the bent rod is just inside the moment, kinda like a running track for instance where the outside lane is actually a longer distance than the inside lanes. I know this sounds flaky but I can definitely tell there is a travel difference and think I will get a rolling moment with elevator input if I fly this way. Any advice from those who have gone before me on this? Thanks.

ZK
Old 10-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Magic extra elevator halves are not the same!!

the inner rod on the servo should be soldered to the outer rod, as you say, to get the same throw. But another way to do it is to come in one hole on the elevator horn on the one that doesn't move far enough.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:06 PM
aerolou
My Feedback: (3)

HoovDriver,
It's a geometric progression of the servo arm and the rods.
I have one of these extra's.
It doesn't seem to affect the flight charecteristic very much.
It's a very fun machine.

Lou
Old 10-26-2003, 06:41 PM
HoovDriver
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the advice, I actually found that my control horns were not both exactly the same. I took them of, shoved pieces of toothpicks into the holes and then some epoxy. Once repositioned the throws were more symmetrical and the toothpicks stopped the elevators from being crushed as I tightened the control horns back down. Also it is now only noticeable at full throw and considering I am flying it at less than 40% throw it is not noticed during flight Sure is a fun plane, wonderful second plane and lands better than the trainer ever did, very stable and slow.

ZK