Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Poll : Best "High-Performance" Fun-Fly Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Poll : Best "High-Performance" Fun-Fly Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 02:33 AM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y.S. .63 i think lol

Where is the best place to purchase one of these?

Thank You all for looking
Old 06-13-2002, 03:00 AM
elvis-RCU

Default Poll : Best "High-Performance" Fun-Fly Engines

tried other engines... been there done that ... always go back to OS . i'll put my os up against all the rest
elvis
Old 06-13-2002, 06:30 AM
johnhardy1

Shortman ,

Isnt the Saito 72 about a 1/4 lb. heavier than an OS 46FX ? If so, isnt that a significant amount ?

JU87-Stuka,

What kind of Prop/RPM are you taching ?
Ill bet thats a helluva strong ringed engine. And reliable too.
Cost is up there with the Webra...hmmm.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:54 AM
JNohsey
My Feedback: (28)

elvis, you seen that the st45 turns more than your os 46.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:42 AM
f2racer

Originally posted by johnhardy1
Isnt the Saito 72 about a 1/4 lb. heavier than an OS 46FX ? If so, isnt that a significant amount ?
OS doesn't include the weight of the muffler with their advertised weight... With their respective mufflers on, the OS is right about the same weight as all the other BB 46s out there. Sure you can fly without the muffler, but I don't think that'd be much fun in a fun-fly I think that with mufflers, the two engines are within an oz or so of each other...
Old 06-13-2002, 11:31 AM
ben flyn

If this post said most reliable, not best "high performance", without doubt it's OS. It seems to me that OS is the STANDARD in which ALL engines are compared too; but they are at the bottom for "high performance"! Even with a tuned pipe they are NO MATCH to a Jett or others. Let's stay on track here. It says "HIGH PERFORMANCE"!!!!!!
BTW, I LOVE ALL MY OS's
Old 06-13-2002, 04:53 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

Well, I said YS a long time ago! High performance right? Some people have trouble with them, but as one of my boss's once said " you have to be smarter than what your working on!" Difficult at times, but its the simple truth! I don't think you can beat a ys for quality and power.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:56 PM
johnhardy1

Default Hmmm

f2racer,

I see Tower lists 16.45 oz for a 46 FX w/muffler. Thats right there with the Saito 72. Now how are people propping the Saito to get such great performance on a fun-fly ??

Ben Fly'n,

I have to agree with you. Im surprised so many folks think of OS as a "High Performance" engine. Maybe this is because they are so popular ?? Maybe the people who voted for OS have never tried a MVVS, Rossi , Webra or Jett ? I know my 46FX doesnt hold a candle to any of them. The 50 SX does look interesting though.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:35 PM
roadhor
My Feedback: (21)

Default Saito Prop

Johnhardy1 ; I use an APC 13X6 on Saito 72, my Raven weighs 5lbs & 2oz, heavy by some standards, but has amazing vertical. The best thing is a 6oz tank lasts 12 to 15 min depending on how you fly, most of mine is attempts at hovering & full power flat spins.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

If horsepower is the only thing you have in mind, I would agree with the Jett engines. You better have a thick wallet when you order one (it will be a lot thinner after you pay for it). I guess I misread, and thought maybe price, performance, reliability and power would be in the mix .
Old 06-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

Originally posted by johnhardy1

I think is lighter..
Old 06-14-2002, 05:37 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

OS 46FX weighs the same as the Saito 72 with muffler.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:46 AM
funflysteve
My Feedback: (2)

Hey elvis,
You said you would put your OS up against any of the others well bring your OS powered funfly airplane to the nationals in pa this year and show us what you got bud.......Webra all the way for any funfly plane i will be flying for a long time i do belive. I have flown webra on all my funfly aircraft for a long time now and have never been beaten because of a better engine on someone elses plane. Extreme reliability, light, and awesome power.
Just my two cents.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:02 AM
Airwurthy

Default Nother webra plus

Plus you can run higher nitro w/o changing anything else. I run 40% blue thunder car fuel and know some guys that run 55%sidewinder in theirs. I change nothing from the stock engine out of the box. No shimming, no plug changing, timing,porting, polishing etc. I have been running the same Wildcat plug on 40% for going on 3 years! Granted, flights are usually less than 2 minutes, but still, they are either full throttle or idle. Just adding to Steve's pennies.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:16 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Airwurthy, What benefits are you guys seeing by running 40-55% nitro fuel? Is there a drastic increase in power, or needle adjustibility? Those engines must have ultra high compression to handle that kind of nitro. I am by no means trying to flame, I am just curious if the performance/reliability of the increase in nitro. That seems like a lot of money going thru the exhaust.

Since I brought up the $$ factor here, is this a consideration in the performance poll? I agree that a well tuned ys63 four stroke has a buttload of power, you can get darn close to 3 TT46 pros or OS46's for the price of a single ys63. What do the others cost (webra, irvine, etc). How about parts availabilty and/or cost? I know most hobby shops carry alot of os/TT parts because they are so popular, and not too much in the way of specialty engines.

Just a little to stir the pot......

Steve

(I guess I just cant see puttin $200.00 or more on the nose of something I am intentionally trying to wring out and fly into the ground)
Old 06-19-2002, 03:19 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I'm intrigued by the Saito 72. I've never owned a 4 popper. I guess a 16.6 ounce engine that runs a 13 to 14 inch prop is pretty good. Can anyone post some hard numbers? Maybe what prop, what fuel, and what RPM? It hovers a _____ pound plane at ____ throttle setting. Altitude above sea level if it's pertinent too please. Maybe also for the Webra 50 2 popper. It seems (to me) that the smaller and lighter engines are usually short stroke screamers that do not like big props. Is this true of the Webra? Can someone answer the same questions for this engine?
Old 06-19-2002, 04:29 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default Webra 50

I am running the Webra 50 with a long or extra long Mac Header with Mac's tuned pipe with the 12.25x3.75, at approximate sea level, southern east coast are South Carolina, at about 13,500 - 13,800 RPM. I know I've said this numerous times, but I tune (cut) my headers so that they are about 1/4 - 1/2 longer than usual, relative to tuning it for max. rpm. This extra back pressure pushes the power band down more into the mid range. On a Mac extra long header, measuring from the bottom of the header flange, along the outside radius of the header, mine measures 6-1/4". Then I leave about 1/8" gap between the end of the header and the front of the tuned pipe.
Hope that this helps!
Old 06-19-2002, 10:50 PM
Airwurthy

Adding nitro most definately adds power, about 2000-2500 rpm. I even noticed a big difference between same nitro, lower oil(Omega--> blue thunder). The engines(webra) are middle of the road penny-wise. They are much cheaper to rebuild than some others. The fuel is more expensive, yes, but we use so little of it, the wallet doesn't feel it.
Needles are more sensitive, understandable, but not unmanageble.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:22 AM
funflysteve

And just a as a note to add to aiwurthy on the nitro... you cant just change from 15% to 45% nitro and plan to see a gain.....you have to RE break in the engine on the higher nitro to start to see the gain but once you have gone to a higher nitro dont plan to go backwards in nitro and ever have it work great again. The extra 2000 to 2500 RPM can give you just the extra power you need for a full on unlimited airplane to win a major funfly or the nationals. Stick and boom aircraft only work well with the right power to weight ratio.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:50 PM
ramcharger

Default Good Engines

I fly the MVVS 49/Midwest Aero Sport, Webra 50 Speed/Kougar, Rossi 45 RE (rear Exhaust)/Morris Fun Design, ENYA 50CX/NEA Belair 40, and a OS 46FX? Dazzler and all are very good. I keep hearing people talk about how great they were after breaking-in. Every one of these engines was initially run in the plane and flew after 1 tank. All idle well, have good transition, and will rip (except the ENYA 50CX which turns a 11x6 APC prop slower than the rest). I guess the benchmark would be the OS 46FX which is the oldest, second only to the MVVS and webra in power, has great transition, and has well 300 or 400 flights and still turns 13,000 rpm as will the Rossi 45. I also like my ST 45 ring and ABC but hey are currently not in a plane.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:55 PM
Fastlif

Interesting, I find by using Fox engines with Fox glow plugs running Zinger props gives me the extra push my planes need to win competitions. I cannot believe that no one else here has not seen the clear cut advantages of Fox products??
Just kidding.
Its real simple, Webra makes the best engine for serious competition fun fly planes. Webra 50 makes an OS look and sound like junk, why, because it is. There is no other engine for stickits, come to a competition with any other and you will go home packing.
YS, well, can be great on power. The can be being the catch. Poor reliability, finicky, and heavy. You can be in the hobby to work, or be in the hobby with Webras and be happy to goto the field and fly time after time. Its up to you.
This hobby is simple, 2 strokes are super simple, dont make work out of it, if you run good equipment you will enjoy the hobby more. Good plugs,fuel,props,pipes and servos go along way. You get what you pay for like they say. No matter what you run, learn to tune it and take care of it, with this you will enjoy your time flying it. If overall you want the best reliability, performance, and lightest weight, then there is no other besides a Webra. If you want to believe what the manufactures put out on paper, well thats up to you, but do you really think they are true, and even if they were, its what matters when its on your plane at your cost. Chose wisely young Jedi.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default saito 72

I went ahead and mounted my Saito 72 on my Sig ultimate fun fly, with a 13X6 zinger wood ( its all I had in this size ) it topped out at 9500 , I ran it continuously at 9000. This engine has less than a half gallon of fuel ran threw it so its not even broke in yet. it had plenty of pull was more than ready to go vertical, Balance came out the same as it did with a O.S. .46 sf . I am running 15% nitro , 20% oil with with a 80/20 blend I believe of Syn/caster. the fuel is Riches Brew, I bought 2 cases in Toledo this year to try it out, so far its been good in the 2 strokes, well see how it does in the 4s. I have a competition this weekend so well see how it does.

IMO as far as being competitive in comp. fun flys it is still the pilots skill and concentration that wins. Obviously you need reliable equipment and engines and there are plenty of those out there of many different brands. I have always believed that horsepower is not as important as good pilot skills. all the power and rpm won't do you a bit of good if you can't control it or use it properly. Unless you have reached the level of "EXPERT" to much power is most likely going to be your enemy. Reliability and ease of use would be a better choice.

I raced R/C cars for about 10 years both fuel powered and electric, so many racers would blame lack of power for there lack of being competitive when the fact was they had all the power they needed but lacked the skill to use it both driving and set-up. They bought bigger engines and higher nitro but never did any better, Just to show it could be done I often used the less expensive equipment and and was quite competitive and won my share of races, although I never considered myself an expert.

So don't get to caught up to much in the power , use what you need and when your skills allow it go for the next level. Most any of the pro style engine provide more than enough power for the average pilot and are quite reliable and reasonably priced.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:30 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Re: saito 72

Originally posted by Dave Bowles
I went ahead and mounted my Saito 72 on my Sig ultimate fun fly, with a 13X6 zinger wood ( its all I had in this size ) it topped out at 9500 , I ran it continuously at 9000
I was really surprised when I broke in my Saito .56.

Running a Zinger 12X6 on Wildcat 10% @ 10k no problem, in fact I backed down the needle from 10.3K as I put this engine in a scale plane (my Dr1). Incredible power, lightweight too, I'll probably get another for my next funly plane.

Oh, currently running (and loving) an MVVS .45 on my knife. Only complaint is a slight airleak preventing me from shutting down....
Old 06-20-2002, 07:30 PM
ramcharger

Default Os and Webra

I fly the Webra 50 and sometimes the Webra 40 Speed in a 4 Star 40 and they in no way make an OS 46FX sound like junk. Webra's are noisey since their muffler is baffleless however I removed the baffle from my OS muffler. I have been flying W. Speed 40 and 50 as well as the OS 46FX for over 4yrs.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:39 AM
Fastlif

What I mean by Junk and the sound of OS is they have some of the worst bearing noise that you can own. I am not talking exhaust noise, as that subject you could talk for days on. Personally I dont run the stock muffler, but if I did I would agree that the OS sounds better that way, for me a Hatori pipe breaks down the sound, keeps goop off the plane and gives each engine more zip.
I have had numerous bearing failures with OS, and one listen to another engine and you will notice what I mean about bearings that make noise. I am no fan of K&B, but for example, the new .48 they have, sounds like perfection at idle thru transition, why, because it has bearings that are decent. You could bicker all day long, i have had 4 OS 46FX's, they are reliable, until the lining peels, or bearings grenade in flight. They run, almost like a Timex, but transition is slower, engine is heavier, and overall it lacks a bit of power. The Webra, has it beat on all of them, the transition alone makes the OS look sick, let alone after 3-5 gallons of fuel you dont feel like the bearings are going to explode, and oh yeah, did I mention its lighter?!
The OS can do the job for sure, the Webra can do it just better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.