Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Poll : Best "High-Performance" Fun-Fly Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Poll : Best "High-Performance" Fun-Fly Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 05:08 AM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good sport engine

dont forget about the irvine MkIII's. Very good sport motor, plenty of power (.46-.53 I'm speaking of). A little cheaper than the O.S. and mounts right up in the same holes as the O.S.. I own 6 of them, rapidly becomeing a favorite eng to many "airplane bums" in west Tn...Gator
Old 06-25-2002, 12:50 AM
Foamguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poll : Best "High-Performance" Fun-Fly Engines

I kinda like the OS LA .40 myself.

Foamguy
Old 08-08-2002, 02:54 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default This thread needs new life!

OS is an "INSTITUTION" in R/C modeling but cannot compete with many of these other engines. (IMHO obviously... )

Nelson ($$)
Jett 50 ($$)
YS 45SE/RE
Irvine 53
Rossi 45 ($)
MVVS 49
Webra speed anything
And K&B apparently came up with a kick a** engine in the .48!

etc.

These are the thoroughbreds of R/C! Along with my Cox Black Widow .049... :stupid:
Old 08-08-2002, 07:15 AM
dickj
My Feedback: (1)

I run a Webra .32 on a MACS pipe / mousse can home made muffler combination and a Polar Bear airplane, Whole plane and engine, radio etc. is 4lb. 2oz. Hovers great, vertical out of this world. Can send photo if you like of the pipe and instructions.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

I have read the thread with much interest, top to bottom. My friend and I just got a couple of profile fun-fly planes . These are not Sig Fazers, but are about that same genre. They're kitted & built by a guy in metro Chicago.

Anyway, these things are pretty light and we're screwing around with engine choice. His zero-cost option was to put an OS .32SX on the plane. I have a crappy old ball bearing .46. His plane on the .32SX weighs in at 3lb 14oz ready to fly . If I put my .46 on there I will be in the low fours - I'll have to balance with tail weight also.

It looks like there is three ways to go . First would be a light engine like the Webra 32, the Thunder Tiger 36 (cheap) or maybe the Super Tigre 34. Second a strong engine like my old .46 (zero cost), a new OS 50 SX or the Webra 50.

And then there's the possibility of a 4 stroke, with the Saito .72 being the only real option after you look at engine weights.

Are the light engines the way to go or does the weight of a bigger two strok or four strok really matter that much? This is for 3-D type fun flying.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:53 PM
dickj

I have a SIG Fazer with a Mecoa 46 ball bearing engine purchased with the trade in credit of 20 dollars and net cost to me of 49 plus shipping. This engine is light, run right out of the box and I made a repeat order. I dont think you would have to add any weight in the tail with this one. This is an alternative idea and the fellow selling these (bought K&B out as I understand and advertised in RCM) will take any old engine or block in trade for the credit of the 20 dollars. Pretty low cost for the performance.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:35 PM
_jon_
My Feedback: (4)

Default Mecoa

This is an alternative idea and the fellow selling these (bought K&B out as I understand and advertised in RCM) will take any old engine or block in trade for the credit of the 20 dollars.
Dick,

I wonder if I can trade in an OS .46FX block only (no backplate, carb or muffler) for one of these engines? If so, I could order a new OS block (for about the same money) from justengines and put my backplate, carb and muffler on it and send the old block to California and get a new Mecoa 46. 2 engines for about $100.

Jon
Old 08-08-2002, 05:43 PM
dickj

You could alwasys call them and ask if all that you send is an old block will it qualify for the 20 dollar credit trade in. I know a fellow that sent one in and it worked. I cannot guarantee unless you call the man who runs it not the ladly who answers the phone.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:53 PM
_jon_
My Feedback: (4)

Default ok

I will give it a try.

Jon
Old 08-15-2002, 04:40 AM
dickj

I also run a Webra .32 with a macs pipe/mousse can muffler arrangement. Its awesome.turning an APC 10X5 prop resulting n unlimited vertical in a Polar Bear airplane weighing 4# 3ozs overall with no fuel.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:47 PM
PilotFrog

Default MECOA .46

These engines are a cheap clone of the old O.S. SF engines. In fact the parts will enterchange. They are not as powerful as the real thing and not close to the FX. They do make a good sport engine and are fairly reliable....great for a trainer or itermediate plane but for a serious fun fly.....NO WAY! By the time you pay the shipping for your old engine and the freight for the new engine you are up to $60 for the engine....and your old engine was worth something for parts! Better to put a few more $ and go with something like the TT .46 which is close in performance to the FX.
As far as performance for your $ it was hard to beat the Irvine .53 that JustEngines was offering a while back. A buddy and I ordered 2 of these puppies and got them for $95 US each delivered...these have awesome power especially with a tuned muffler setup and for the weight will go head to head with the Webra and the YS.
PilotFrog
Old 04-20-2003, 03:57 PM
rcdemon61
My Feedback: (7)

I use a OS 50 SX with a Ultra Thrust muffler on my Top Cat. It has more power then I need most of the time.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:08 PM
JIVE TURKEY

ys 63, if you want toooooo much power! (really!.....I've never seen a plane be able to point straight up and it become a dot so fast like the ys 63 equipped knife!) then it's just-put it in a spin, feed opposite ail. & half- throttle and watch it spin like a saucer in a chinese circus!
Old 04-20-2003, 07:24 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Webra Speed 40 GT!
Old 04-21-2003, 12:56 AM
remcl

Interesting to read all the comments, so her is mine. I have a OMP edge 540 profile. I have been flying this plane for about two years now. I started with a TT Pro 46 and ultrathrust muffler. That was fine to start. I wanted more. I tried the Rossi 53 with tuned pipe. That was fine, but the rossi wanted too small of prop and too many Rpms to build HP. I even tried a OS 61. That was just not right. I then tried the YS 63. WOW! That is all I need to say. Anyone who knows me will testify that I can not stop with all I need to say so here is more of my 2 cents. If you want to 3D a smaller funfly a four stroke is the best way to go. You can not compare the HP of a 2 stroke to a four stroke. The 2 strokes develops it at a much higher rpm. When was the last time you hovered your plane at 18K RPM. I want stump pulling power at 3k rpm. MY plane is 4 lbs dry including the ys 63 and muffler. I have a 14 x 4 W APC. It will hover inches from the ground at about 3K rpm. That looks and sounds great. Most 2 strokes wont stay running at that rpm under a load like that. Also the throttle response of a 4 stroke is (especially the YS with the pump) far better than the 2 stroke. When you want a very small amount of power to correct the nose you can get it. If you can swing the $250.00 their is not better motor to 3D a 40 size funfly. I have a buddy with a saito 72 on his and it does well. I would spend another 20 bucks and get the YS. Remember HP spec sheets mean little when you are talking about 3D at lower RPM's.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:48 AM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

As long as I can remember OS engines have always been the standard by which other engines are measured. This definitely shows that OS has a great track record. They have plenty of competition these days though.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:30 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

os are very easy on the newbes mine treated me very well and still do to thsi day i have only owned the YS, OS, Satio, TT, and the supertiger.

ease go to the os for all around

www.krayzc.netfirms.com
Old 04-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default OS 46 FX

I traditionally like OS like most here, but all this talk is making me consider a Webra 50 someday.

My 46FX powered Sudokhoi flew all last summer and ran flawless. It still looks like I just took it out of the box. I have an OS 46SF (the fore runner to the FX) and have ran it piped for about 7 years. It has had very rough service - including putting a baseball size hole in a warehouse . It also runs flawless.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Fastlif

Webra. simply the best for light and powerful response. OS is very good and reliable, but if you want the best performance in the 32 to 50 range, I would look no further. Had both extensively and the Webra just flat out runs better and has excellent throttle response. Yes and better than an OS.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:38 PM
bgi

After running an OS 46 FX with Tower muffler and TT 46 Pro with same, I started breaking in my new Webra 50. One word: Wow!

I've broken in a Saito 72 but can't decide what to put it on. l'll try them both on the Knife and see what I like. The Webra may go on my Patriot when I get around to building it.

At $139 from Horizon, I believe the Webra 50 will be my 2-stroke .40 size of choice for a while.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Cant' wait to see your comments of Webra 50 vs Saito 72!

Keep us updated please!

Thanks, Dennis
Old 05-11-2003, 01:12 AM
bgi

Dennis,

I'll surely report back. However, I don't have a lot of "fly" time lately, so patience will be in order. Hopefully, I'll get some time in tomorrow. The weather is awesum.

Having thought it through and read a lot here, I do think that the big slow fan from the 4-stroke is the funfly 3D ticket and the screaming speed demon 2-stroke is the Patriot ticket.

-bradster
Old 05-11-2003, 01:20 AM
green river rc

I have substantial amount of time on a OS 46 FX, ST 45, Saito .72, and a Rossi 45, and a YS 63. The YS 63 blows them all away! I will never spend my money on another Rossi, or Saito of any size(have 4 sputtering Saitos)! The 46 FX took forever to break in, and I'm still not satisfied after 5 years. The ST 45 is ok, but lacks the butt-hole-ripping power I was looking for, and had some dependability issues. The YS 63 was like a breath of fresh air. I have had it for over 2 years on several different Morris the Knife planes, and I take it everywhere I go and do nothing but have a blast with it. These are just my opinions and experiences with these engines. If I were to buy a new, different engine tomorrow, I would like to try the Webra 50. An ounce of dependability, ( that includes a dependable throttle response) is worth a pound of horse power any day. My YS (both of them) has all of these qualities so far. Have fun!
Old 05-11-2003, 02:11 AM
jldecarlo

My personal experience with YS is only fair (I have owned three .91's and one .53). When they ran, they were clearly the most powerful in their class.

However, when they didn't - which was alot - they were a major pain. I really hate getting to the field only to spend an hour and a half trying to get an engine to run. It's enough to make me consider taking up golf.

The TT .46 Pro is my pick of the .46's. It is every bit as good an a .46 FX (virtually the same engine without the annoying rear needle) and sells for $77 at Tower. At that price, you can buy three engines for the cost of a YS.

Still, I may neet to try a YS .63 on my next profile. Maybe it will be a little more reliable, or maybe I am a little better at fiddling with these engines. Too much power is never quite enough.

Leonard
Old 05-11-2003, 10:50 AM
remcl

I have had ys engines for several years now. My advise is be patient with them and read. They are easy to set if you use a tack and understand the fuel delivery system. If you go to the field and spend an hour fiddling with them that is your problem. Don't fiddle. Live by the saying "set it and forget it" Use your tack to set the low and high end, set the regulator using your ear for a smooth transition. The stump pulling power of the ys 63 is where it is at for low rpm 3D maneuvers. Take the time to learn the engine and you will be paid back many fold. YS has the best support here at RCU, Dave is great. USe it. Search for the YS Doctor on the net, he is great.

Os are fine motors, I have had several. They satisfy many people because they are user friendly. Everything has a trade off. They also lack power. When I say lack power, I mean compared to the high performance jobs. Os has plenty of power for their proper applications. Magnum 4 strokes are not power houses, but I have a .52 in a quaker. A great motor for that application. I have a OS. .61 in a Goldberg Tiger 2. A good motor for that application. The ys .63 and the OMP edge 540P an awesome engine on an awesome airplane.

Dennise, we got to get back together and fly soon. A member of the club crashed his UCANDO, so Kyran rebuilt it and stuck my ys 1.20 on it. What a ride. I do not disagree with jldecarlo's statement that too much power is not quite enough, although in this case it is not to much, it is enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.