Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Magic Extra or Free Style???? >

Magic Extra or Free Style????

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Magic Extra or Free Style????

Old 08-19-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Magic Extra or Free Style????

I have a gift cert for Hobby People and was wondering between these two planes if there any real serios issues about them. If I get the Magic Extra I will be getting the Mag .46 and if I get the Free Style I will be getting a Mag .52.

I have read that the Magic flys well with standard servos, is this also true about the Free Style??

Has any flown both????

Please do not recomend other planes, unless they are from Hobby People, because I do not think the other stores will take the gift certificate from Hobby People.

Thanks.

Dru.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:42 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magic Extra or Free Style????

I've flown the Magic Extra and wasn't that impressed... I don't know about the FreeStyle... Looks like a UCD with a shorter tail moment...
Old 08-19-2004, 12:05 PM
My Feedback: (21)

I see they sell the Hot Knife. I'd take that one over the other 2. It's not the best for 3D, but far better then the Magic and the Freestyle.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:49 PM

Having owned both, I like the Freestyle.

Better knife edge, better in harrier, stronger fuse.
Only weak point I found was the aluminum gear was thin and would bend on taxi.

Power was OS 70 4 stroke. A friend still has my plane - 3 seasons total on airframe - heavily abused at that.

I did not care much for the Magic Extra. Coupled bad on knife. Fuse was very weak. I sold it to a club member and he broke the fuse just in front of the wing on the first "bumpy" landing. He fixed and flew another couple months - it is scrap now.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have flown both planes (the freestyle is mine). The freestyle gets my vote. In fact, I prefer to fly it over any other plane. The freestyle is better built and a better flier.

The freestyle is what you would call a combo flying plane, which means it isn't the best at 3D, but you won't find anything that will equal it at 3D AND Pattern (although I would like to fly one of those Freestyle Rush's).

If you get the freestyle, also buy the sukhoi .40 landing gear (part #42019) for $10. They are taller, stronger, and prettier.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:07 PM

Cool, that is what I wanted to hear. I have had Global ARF's before so I already know about the covering and hardware. I look at the .52 and the Freestyle. I did look at the Hot Knife, boy was it HEAVY. The fuse alone weighed more then the fuse, wig and tail feather of the Extra and the Freestyle. The price on the Knife is good though.

Any more coments are welcome.

Thanks.

Dru.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar comment here on the Magic Extra. Several friends had them, and all ended up with fuses broken in front of the leading edge of the wing. Not much meat there to repair, so its pretty much toast after breaking it......
Old 08-19-2004, 09:38 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Same here, had a magic Extra, broke at the front of the wing on a very minor dork (easily survived by a profile). Nice fun fly, but it stinks for 3D. Sloppy knife edge.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:47 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I have had both I like them both but the Freestyle with proper balance and throws is much more capable than the extra with its rather puny rudder, Dont belive any of that "hovers like a friendly ghost" crap, (it has very little rudder authority), they both float pretty well, as for the motor get the 52 no matter what your plane choice, it is a great power house one of the most powerful engines for its size available anywhere, it is however very hard to get to stay tuned it seems to load up alot at idle and can be difficult during midrange transition, one of the guys at my field bought my old one and with a Macs pipe he has it literally screaming!!!!!
The Freestyle will roll like its on a skewer if you use full deflection of the ailerons the Knife Edge is very easy to hold it will harrier with a little reflex dialed in to the ailerons, if you balance it dynamically (front to back left to right) it will hover pretty well but no hands off by any means, it lands like a feather at very slow speeds does Elevators and Walls beautifully, inverted flight requires only a little up (well down inverted) and if you use full rudder deflection it can be flown quite nicely with the rudder...

A few tips though, the 12.25-3.75 prop is perfect for the Freestyle/52 combo. When your building the plane get better landing gear the stock stuff bends quite easily and reinforcing the wood where it connects is a good idea (I glassed mine in after a few times having it come off with the softest of landings). Use a good strong servo for the rudder pull pull with metal gears or you will be replacing it regularly, I ended up with my CG at 3/4 of an inch past the furthest recommended rearward point.

I had well over 150 flights on mine and sold it to another club member who was coming up from a trainer, we reduced the throws put in lots of expo and he is now loving his new plane!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 06:07 PM

1Fish, I have a .52 that is a sweet running engine. I had a rough time with the mid range until I set the low end needle at 5/8th of a turn out. Now it runs great. It is mounted in a beat up Lucky Stik. Now if I can just get off my back side and go get it.

Dru.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:01 AM

I have the Freestyle. Like these guys have said it is a good all around plane except for the landing gear. The recommended replacement landing gear is really good and is necessary. I tried to get away with the stock one and it didn't work. I should have listened to the advice in the posts. Oh well, live and learn.

I don't have the Magic Extra but I just bought the Magice Extra 3D. It has not flown yet. A guy in the club has one though. It looks tough to hover but with a big engine it rolls really fast. It probably won't knife edge. I am hoping that the Magic Extra 3D will have a better hover and knife edge than its predecessor.

Just a note. It seems that these big online hobby shops put out planes on a regular basis. The planes that are good usually will be in their inventory for several years and the ones that are bad will disappear after a few months. I figured this out after buying a few "neat" looking new production airplanes online only to find out that they were no longer being sold shortly after my purchase. So, whatever you do, stick with a model that has been out for a while.