Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

plane for tower .46?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

plane for tower .46?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 03:09 PM
boneman_66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plane for tower .46?

ok - here's the deal. i'm looking for a plane for my recently available tower .46 (you know what that means heh). i'm looking for something with good knife edge, spin etc capability and preferably an entre to 3D. i'm thinking it needs to come in under 4.5 lbs. as my last plane was about 5.5 lbs and i wasn't too thrilled with the vertical capabilities of that engine at that weight (maybe just isn't broken in yet - dunno).

other considerations - i'm almost finished a bte venture 60, so that hopefully will allow me to do some pattern type stuff and i also have a wing tote heckler on order for an os .40la i have (hopefully that will be enuff engine for that).

so what would be a good complement my current planes for what i want to do. some planes i'm considering:

goldberg extreme 330
sig something extra
model tech magic extra
morris the knife or top cap etc.

thanks as always for the very valuable input

boneman
Old 07-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Morris

Anything Morris.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:35 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

If I had to have just one of those planes, I'd go for the Goldberg.

Knife is marginally easier to KE (less coupling) and Hover (less torquing). The Goldberg snaps better and is a couple of ounces lighter. I have both planes and ususally take the Goldberg unless I'm practicing tail touches.

For a nice tight KE spin or waterfall, mix down aileron with down elevator and up with up, don't use a Y harness.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:27 PM
polarisRCU
Banned

Default Goldberg ALL THE WAY

I USED to have my Tower .46 in an Easy Sport 40 ARF, and it was barely enough to make it do anything interesting. It got boring enough that I didn't wait to have a reason to change the plane, and I got the Goldberg 330 Extreme 3D..... All I can say is WOW ! The engine has PLENTY of power now (running an 11 x 5 ) and it's finally FUN to fly !!!!! The plane went together REALLY well and for my first profile, it was a piece of cake ! If you want, I'll post a pic of my plane. Using standard JR servos, the plane balanced perfectly (no need for extra weight anywhere). The only thing I can suggest is that you mount your RX battery right under the fuel for proper balance and mount your engine with about 3/4" of a gap between it and the firewall.

Let us know what you decide !!!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:37 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

If your new to 3D, I'd go with a Morris knife kit. If you've been at 3D for awhile and are looking for something better, get the Sledge. I've flown these and also the Extreme 330. Wasn't really impressed with the 330. Not bad for an intro plane... but for serious stuff.. go with a Sledge.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:40 AM
boneman_66

Ok - 2 for morris and 2 for goldberg - at least you're helping me narrow it down . i'm kinda surprised that no one voted for the sig SE - i've heard some good things about that plane. maybe it's because i'm in the profile section heh.

geoharry - you rec'd the goldberg but mentioned a couple of things that the morris does better. what is it about the goldberg that you keep going back to - mainly the better snaps?

i really don't think i can go wrong with either. i want something that i can get in the air quick - do they both go together equally quickly?

thanks again guys

boneman
Old 07-04-2003, 04:58 AM
lomcevek1

Well I will chime in with another one

The ohio models edge 540.

Great spins and flips tumbles and the like. Will do harriers and has a good hover. Price is $60.00, laser cut and flies great. Mine came in at 3.9 pounds with a 46 FX.

I can say the sledge is just as easy to build but will try to do a maiden flight this weekend weather depending.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:58 AM
polarisRCU
Banned

Default Goldberg 330 Extreme is an ARF

I don't know if Morris has a Knife ARF, but they DO have a Top Cap ARF, a Sudokoi ARF and a Balsa NOVA ARF. In my mind, if you want to be flying quick, this ARF's are the way to go
Old 07-04-2003, 02:49 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Morris has a knife arf. It's heavier that the kit though...
Old 07-05-2003, 09:35 PM
George E.

boneman_66

For a first 3D plane the Knife is probably the way to go. The Knife is hard to get in trouble with which makes it a good first 3D plane but not a good 2nd 3D plane

I have heard GREAT things about the OMP Edge and the Sledge but I am strictly and ARF kind of guy.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:34 PM
boneman_66

thanks for the input guys. i went ahead with the extreme 330 (before i saw the last couple of posts). i'll let you know how it goes when i get it in the air!
Old 07-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Texas 3D

Originally posted by geoharry
The Knife is hard to get in trouble with which makes it a good first 3D plane but not a good 2nd 3D plane
I have to strongly disagree with you on that one. The Knife is a blast to fly, no matter if it is your 3rd or 100th 3D plane ! It all depends what you woulod like to do with it. If you like to hang on the prop, hardly any profile will beat the Knife !
Old 07-07-2003, 07:48 PM
George E.

I was out flying my Extreme 330 today Good choice, my Knife just seems to hang in the garage more and more.

There is not enough down or right thrust in the design. You need 4 degrees down thrust for the plane to track well. Get out the dremel Add a washer for some right thrust too.

Forget that plastic tunnel that the servo wires go into. Just mount the servos in the tail and run the wires up the side of the fuse (opposite the muffler) and cover them with a piece of a white monokote trim sheet. Much easier.

The plane tends to come out tail heavy so don't use heavy servos in the tail, standard or 225MG.

A few other minor mods like trimming the tail so the elevator can move 45 degrees.

The plane goes together FAST.

Keep us posted
Old 07-07-2003, 07:55 PM
polarisRCU
Banned

So GeoHarry, are you saying you've changed your mind ????? I just crashed my Extreme 330 on Friday :disappoin and I am once again looking for another plane. Given the neck-to-neck comparison, I thought I would give the Knife a try..... but your comments about the CG, the cables (honestly, I have been a bit intimidated by pull-pull systems) and the some other stuff I read, make me wonder if it's the plane for me..... Maybe I'll just get another Extreme.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:54 AM
George E.

If you liked the Extreme, buy another. Since you already built one the second one should go together fast

The Knife hovers a little more stable and the Extreme does end over end maneuvers a little easier (waterfall etc).

Honestly, both planes are great. Either plane can do more than I can
Old 07-08-2003, 01:31 PM
boneman_66

thanks for the tips geo. you mentioned earlier not to use a Y harness i'm guessing that means running the airleron servos on separate channels and using a cpu radio to mix? i've got a 9caf so that's not a problem - just wanted to make sure i understood you correctly.

also - never changed the engine thrust before - is that a strong recommendation or something at the margin that could be done down the road - outa planes right now so kinda looking to get it up and flying as soon as possible heh.

should be here tomorrow - i'll let you know how it goes.

thanks again,

boneman
Old 07-08-2003, 01:49 PM
polarisRCU
Banned

Boneman,

You shouldn't have to chnge the thrust angle on the Tower Hobbies .46. I didn't .... and my plane was flown by one of the senior pilots at my field, who had an absolute HOOT flying it.... He only made suggestions that I set the spoilerons with a little more positive travel, as the knife was still tucking to the underside of the plane. Once I did that, the knife edge was fairly straight.

I will be getting another one for certain !
Old 07-08-2003, 04:11 PM
George E.

Correct on the Y harness. You need to run ailerons on ch1 and 6 so you can mix spoilerons.

If you want the plane to do a tight waterfall or KE spin you need to mix up ailerons with up elevator and down with down. I turn the mix on anytime I want the plane to flip over itself like the waterfall or reduce wing rock in an elevator.

You can do the engine thrust later just don't CA those bolts on. The thrust line is trial and error. On a calm day, at about 3/4 throttle pull into a vertical climb. If the plane veers left shim the motor to the right (ie right thrust). If the plane pulls to the canopy turn the motor down (ie down thrust) I had to do both. Now my plane climbs vertical by itself. Much more fun to fly and makes me look much better

My engine points down 4 degrees relative to the horizontal stabilizer.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:12 PM
boneman_66

gotcha - that is VERY helpful - thanks much.

on a semi-related note. is there anyplace either here on the boards or somewhere else that would describe/picture all these neat sounding maneuvers like waterfall, harriers etc. that i'm going to try to learn?

i think i'm getting delivery tonight so hopefully maiden flight this weekend. i'll keep you guys posted.

thanks again,

boneman
Old 07-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Maneuvers Explained

Best I've found:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/articles/1022.asp

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/articles/1033.asp
Old 07-09-2003, 10:59 PM
polarisRCU
Banned

Default Excellent RCU review on Extreme 330

If you are on the fence about the CG Extreme 330 3D, ya gotta check it out !!!!! WOW......

http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...w&reviewid=122