Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Flat spin, finally. Entry question, technical

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Flat spin, finally. Entry question, technical

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 12:59 AM
Spanky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat spin, finally. Entry question, technical

Good day!

Finally did a few GOOD flat spins today w/a Limbo Dancer. There still is a trick to getting into them. Some idea's I've read have been throttle management (which I believe), snap rolling then into the spin, easing off the throttle and stalling-full rudder then power, and on and on. By the time the plane gets into a good flat spin, all of the altitude is lost.

While I believe every plane's character is different w/the same manuever, there has to be a relatively common procedure for entering into a GOOD flat spin quickly. I know this isn't rocket science but any input would greatly be appreciated.

One other question. If memory and understanding serves me right, somewhere on RCU someone made a comment about "climbing" in a flat spin. Is this true? That would be WAY COOL. Details please if you could.
Thanks

Spanky
Old 07-20-2003, 01:37 AM
BotleRocketWar

There is an easy way... This for an a left hand upright spin.

Just fly along (doesn't matter where the throttle is) and kick in full left rudder, left aileron, and full up elevator. After a couple quick turns, just S L O W L Y move the aileron stick over. Should be flat...Try it at full throttle if it doesn't work.

Depending on the airplane, there might even be an easier way. Just kick in full left rudder followed up full up elevator and right aileron a second later...Works on airplanes with a lot of rudder authority.

The problem with these FunFly's is that the wing won't completely stall...It is the prop blast over the big control surfaces causing it to spin and causing it to stay in the spin. Cut the throttle to an idle and just about any of these airplanes will roll out of the spin...

If you have enough power, the right airplane, and enough elevator, it may start to climb. It's basically flying upwards in an incredibly tight flat turn. Not a "true" spin... Doesn't take any special unputs for a climbing flat spin though.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:52 AM
777M8

That is exactly how I get the Top Cap to flat spin I always use full throttle to get it to tighten up. Basicaly just throw both sticks to the left and then push the left (throttle) stick to the top.

Bill
Old 07-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

our Panthers came before Limbos and with a shorter fuz ( yes really! ) would flat spin on just full rudder.
for me i pull vert, then full rudder and what ever else it takes to enter, going in from normal horizontal flight Inst a good entry because of the speed, vert it falls on its back completely stalled.
then its throttle and aileron to keep it flat.
The Cougar is even harder to get flat
Old 07-20-2003, 10:56 AM
Spanky1

Thank you for the input.

So far phillybaby's technique is what I've tried. But very inconsistent. (for me anyway) Philly baby how much throttle are you using when you pull vert? Are you vert and the off throttle just enough to stop flying? (almost a torque roll)

When moving the aileron back, it seems to pop itself out if you go to far. Is the goal to get the aileron ALL THE WAY opposite the rudder? And if I understand BotleRocketWar, the control surface responsible for the "climb" is the elevator while in the spin.

Thanks again for the input.

Spanky
Old 07-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Cactus.

no, i throttle back completely, let it almost fall then rudder and throttle. it was TOO! easy with the Panther, the Cougar needs to be throw into the spin with more speed and longer entry time.

Aileron will control the wobble, ie, one way will flatten the spin, the other will make it tighten up till your pointing down and come out.
Elevator doesn't do a whole lot, but full up should also flatten it out and slow the descent.
Rudder, once in a true flat spin you can actually take it out and keep going, i believe once your spinning keeping it over just makes the rear end less draggy as it spins.
Throttle, also controls the decent and tightness/speed of spin.

with Panthers we had FLAT!!!!! very flat bottom wings, and you could enter the spin, then let the tranny go on idle. from a fairly decent height you could top 60 spins before landing

theres no set place or inputs for this, you don't have to move the aileron over if it doesn't need it, just try different entries and inputs. The Cougar is almost a two stage entry, won't happen on first inputs
Old 07-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Spanky1

Fanatastic! I'll try these ideas. phillybaby, your statement "you could top 60 spins before landing" The plane does slow descent to a point that it looks like you could land it. Are you landing while spinning?

Spanky
Old 07-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Cactus.

yes if your brave, dont mind dinging the tail maybe and have short grass around
theres a video on my site of my Cougar spinning,..... only it's on the ground
Old 07-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Spanky1

Couldn't get the movie to download.
So.....no ailerons and just rudder and throttle to start (from vert), then elevator. I'll try that. I think w/a little more elevator this will climb or at least stop the descent. It has unlimited vert w/a mag bb.56.
The one trainer I have needs full opposite Aileron to halfway resemble a flat spin.
I'm brave but once it gets under 15 ft off the ground I exit the spin.

All the above should apply when inverted too, right?

Thanks
Spanky
Old 07-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Cactus.

download the codec linked at the top of the movie page, this will allow your PC to process the file.
as for controls, use what ever works