Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine Kills Chips?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine Kills Chips?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM
leadfootdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Kills Chips?

I need one Ive only really heard of them and I have a nitro trainer that my dad gave to me well more or less I inherited it when he died about ten years ago and yesterday I went to fly it like I reguarly do I had just taken off I wasnt even half way down the runway when the plane no longer responds to my control inputs I was only a few feet off the ground but I instantly think oh #$%$ what do I do if this thing flies off? well lucky me I only lost control for a second it came right back down I wasnt even at 70 percent throttle and it was kind of a steep climb I was going into so it stalled and smacked into the ground and it only broke the prop well I went straight up to hobby town and bought a new one and two frequency crytals one for the tx and rx and I also bought a new reciever and now my system works perfectly but I want a failsafe so if this happens again my plane will just cut off it would kill me to lose this plane by having it fly off into the horizon
Old 10-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Kills Chips?

All you can do is make sure you do good pre flight checks. Check battery before and after flights. If you have old batteries, replace them. Do range checks. If you bought new radio gear, it might have been better to go 2.4ghz. Just my opinion. Where do you fly? I fly at ARCA. I am also one of the instructors. If nothing else, come by on sunday afternoon and we can talk and go over your setup.
Edwin
Old 10-01-2010, 03:52 PM
leadfootdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly out in manor in a really big open field mostly all the gear is really old its a ten year old aircraft I know the hill country aero modeler's association is real close to me off slaughter but I don't like it out there anymore
Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Buy some periods.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

ARCA is out on Decker Ln by the railroad tracks. Come on by sunday afternoon and have a talk. You can get to us at www.austinrc.org and click on 'contact us' links anywhere on the web site. I monitor the clubs email regularly.

Edwin
Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do need to do a range check, both with the engine off and running. Also of note, you are not supposed to change the frequency of your transmitter, that is supposed to be done at the factory only. You may also want to follow Edwin's advice, drop by and have him give you a hand. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 AM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You won't want to hear this, but if you changed your Tx crystal your radio needs to be sent to a service facility and retuned. Your range will probably be diminished if you don't. Given the trouble you just had, a checkup is a good idea anyway.

If you're flying with 10 year old stuff, are you using the original batteries? If so, that's probably the cause of your problem. Most of us toss our batteries after 3-4 years of use because they deteriorate.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: leadfootdriver
I know the hill country aero modeler's association is real close to me off slaughter but I don't like it out there anymore

How close?