Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

3rd line for refueling IDEA

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

3rd line for refueling IDEA

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 PM
clarencem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3rd line for refueling IDEA

I think this may work. Here is something to keep in mind. The fuel clunk comming in contact with the extra line could cause a problem. On 40% planes the tanks that you buy dont have ANY holes in them. You must drill the holes as needed. The lids dont crack or split do they? I know that there are some people that could find a something wrong with breathing oxygen and they breath black death to all around them but you have to ignor it and move on. Keep in mind that the big tank makers make universal tanks to fit every plane and not custome tanks as the need would be far to broad and they would be buisy making one off tanks for specail needs. I say do it. I think you have a great idea and you should run with it. good luck and keep us all posted even the people who fly in left circle after left circle with their Cubs and Telemasters.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 PM
aronph

wowee...sounds like a buncha "you cant do this" even though we put a man on the moon 40 years ago-i can fiind out where i am cuz my cell fone has a GPS but we cant put a hole in a tank?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Lose the filter. Install it on the fuel line coming from your fuel can positioned after the pump. Stiks don't usually use a third line. No need for it.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM
mike31

Wow!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: aronph

wowee...sounds like a buncha ''you cant do this'' even though we put a man on the moon 40 years ago-i can fiind out where i am cuz my cell fone has a GPS but we cant put a hole in a tank?
Yup, almost anyone can put a hole in a tank. Making it continue to work as a tank from then on is the next hurdle.

Keep in mind that someone thought he could put a man on the moon when noone else though it was possible.

We've just explained what is available for the job. (nothing) And the reasons noone has done it and succeeded. So far. Hey, if you've got an idea..... don't let us get in your way.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 PM
mike31

Install the fuel tank backwards. Fuel will still pass thru the clunk as the pressure tap will still do it's job. Run (epoxy) some 1/8" brass tubing along the inside of the fuse (plumbing) to carry the fuel to and thru the firewall, or anywhere else you want or need to send fuel or pressure. Leave about 1/2" of brass tubing sticking out to attach fuel tubing. A second length of brass tubing can be run as well for the vent/pressure tap. Keeps fuel tubing to a minimum and saves room to boot. What's the worst that can happen?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 PM
zac137

I hope you haven't totally given up this idea. I personally would like to hear how it works out! I think it may be a good idea. Just put a lot of thought into how to make it seal properly, and stay sealed for the long run.

I think the easiest way to do it would be to make a custom tank out of aluminum.

Zach
Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: aronph

wowee...sounds like a buncha ''you cant do this'' even though we put a man on the moon 40 years ago-i can fiind out where i am cuz my cell fone has a GPS but we cant put a hole in a tank?
I worked on the space program for a lot of years, it took millions of people and more money then will ever be spent on something like that again. I still can't get over how people still use the moon landing as a measure of human ingenuity when wondering why we don't or can't do something. If there have been millions of three line fuel tanks assembled, set up and used over countless years I would question why some people aren't bright enough to do it too. If anyone thinks it's a great idea to add a nipple in the tanks bottom then like a lot of other things they can do it themselves like a true modeler. When faced with a problem most of us figure out how to make things work. Others, for one reason or another just aren't bright enough to do it themselves and want the industry to do it for them, go figure?? How about just installing a nice brass dot on the side of the plane and have people think you have a three line. A lot less work and no thinking involved.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
aronph

nope, cant do it, give up-thats what makes us americans
Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 PM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (23)

Aluminum Nipple is designed to fit in all Sullivan tanks. It can be used for an extra fill or pressure port, and will accept standard and large tubing. This nipple will also work with bladder systems.

S476 Fuel Tank Nipple

Put this in the back of the tank and just hold the plane up when draining. Or put a regular fuel stopper in the backof the tank. Or even better put the fuel dot in the side of the plane and don't hook it up. Just to be cool.

If you get a slant tank you should be able to get three line in it.

Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There ya' go..............

On Sullivan's website, they show the S476 nipple: http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Fuel...sMainFrame.htm
Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 AM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using through fittings in tanks since the early 80's in heli fuel tanks. They were basically Nalgene Lab bottles same as what B&B used.. B&B came with the sealed Bulkhead fitting with the tank and the user drilled and installed where needed..

Rick
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so you want to add the fuel line because it cool. Go for it! I'll help.

All you do is mount the tank about 1/2 inch inside the firewall so you have some space to route the filler line through 180 degrees as it leaves the stopper.
Now route the fuel line between the fuse and the tank toward the rear. about 2 inches before you terminate the line, bound a Robart straight fuel line coupler to the fuselage.. You will connect your line to tank to one end and your line to fuel dot on the other.end.

Drill a hole for the fuel dot about an inch from the fuel line coupler and fit it. Glkueing may be necessary.

good to go.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM
shockwave3895

i htink that if a hole was MELTED into the tank, it would be sturdier. then if you found some sort of nipple that has a mushrooming fitting on the end, so when out tighten it it gets bigger, and then use a fuel proof epoxy on the outside then you shoiuld be okay... just anidea though.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 PM
drbenz
My Feedback: (11)

You could drill two holes in the back of the tank. That way if the one with the fitting leaks i will have a place to get back into the tank