Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Question on location

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Question on location

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on location

You try and take anything back without the box it came in and you are going to hear the same thing.  Since the plane was new, you should have had the box.  Everyone seems to think that these Mom and Pop retailers make the merchandise in the back room that they sell  and should just fork over new items for whatever reason the customer deems necessary.  NOT.  We pay shipping, restock fees, single order premiums, and have to be out the funds for replacement items until at such time we get credit if we ever do get credit for returns.
Horizon Hobby could have expedited a replacement receiver 2nd day or even overnight and at worst you would have been without flying for 48 whole hours?  Since they themselves diagnosed their problem, it isn't the LHS's obligation to exchange it without being privileged to the conversation with HH support.  
Slamming HH or this LHS is unfair and unethical.  Take up Monopoly or Chess or underwater basket weaving.  This hobby is barely surviving under the crunch of these difficult times.  We see LHS dropping like flies due to internet discounting.  We'd better support and appreciate them as much as possible or we'll all be waiting 6 to 12 weeks for a lousy hinge screw much less a total plane.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:23 PM
jnatale3

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Learning to listen is hard to do. When someone comes in to ask questions I let him talk and I listen. I don't ever think I have told someone their wrong. What I will say is ''this is the way I do it''. If they are doing something dangerous in their setup I point out the danger and let them decide. By giving them choices and letting them make up their own mind with guidance they learn without feeling put down.
I have to remember that someday they will be teaching someone new.
Being a LHS owner also means using new stuff because if you want to sell it you have to prove that it works first. they wait and see if to crash or not. I learned that when 2.4 first came out. I had to be first and heard why everybody wouldn't ever change. Now 90% have changed in my club.
Well we have moved away from the OP problem and I'm glad it got it worked out. Spring is almost here and we're soon be flying again and that what it's all about. Dennis
Good point Dennis. I am excited to get out in the nice weather and fly. The areas to fly locally here in NC are many. There are plenty of parks with big fields and other "lots" to fly owned by some friends who fly too. Plus the local club I am looking into has a great place to fly. I still have a lot to learn coming from 18 years of rc cars /trucks, but flying seems the best route to me. I am enjoying it. Joe
Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I find car guys much easier to teach. You have already learned the left, right and have the hand eye coordination. Also if you had glow cars you know how to tune a engine.

The one thing about planes that is different with cars. If you go upside down in a plane that's good. Not good in a car. Dennis
Old 03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
jnatale3

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I find car guys much easier to teach. You have already learned the left, right and have the hand eye coordination. Also if you had glow cars you know how to tune a engine.

The one thing about planes that is different with cars. If you go upside down in a plane that's good. Not good in a car. Dennis
I had both electric and glow. Very good point on the "upside down" LOL :-)
Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

See we can even have fun here. Dennis
Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM
jnatale3

Yep. Even some if the "uptight" people are humorous to listen too. Some folks need to get a grip and take up a hobby like chess to relax. Lol. Good talking Dennis. :-)
Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
jnatale3

I am very appreciative that Horizon was very friendly and was able to quickly send out a 2 day air receiver to me. Lastly, the owner at the LHS seems cool now too. He said he will elp in any way possible if I need it. I should be good to go. Good thing I have other planes to use until Monday. LOL To the skies!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) - Joe
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading the entire thread, I couldn't help but notice that you didn't mention if the transmitter was in the Elevon mode. I know you said you talked to a tech at Horzion Hobby about your problem, but I think that might be your problem. Just thought I would toss this your way.....

Larry
Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive come to fact that there is no immediate gratification when it comes to this hobby..You get your new plane home, cant wait to just go and fly it and BANG, you have a bad receiver..lol. I have learned to live with this, with the small and the big stuff in this hobby. If I buy something from the LHS, and there is a bad electronic component to it, I just call horizon right away instead of dealing with the LHS. I mean, they have to go to horizon anyway, so your cutting out the middle man , so to say.

But I have to say horizon Hobby has some of the best customer service I have seen. For instance, I bought a spektrum servo end of last season for one of my jets. Probably got 3-4 flights on it. When I powered up my jet this year, the servo burnt right out. Called horrizon, they sent me a new one, no questions asked. To top it off, the next day I flew my BU32, had a little bounce on landing, front nose gear collapsed and stripped. Sent me a new one right away. Now I dont know where you can get service like that anywhere, nevermind a hobby shop. Lets be honest, from their point of view, who knows you didnt fly it into a lake, shorted it out!! not saying you did, but they just send it to you anyway...well didnt mean to go on..I just wanted to give some props to HH..
Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM
jnatale3

ORIGINAL: KFX450

Ive come to fact that there is no immediate gratification when it comes to this hobby..You get your new plane home, cant wait to just go and fly it and BANG, you have a bad receiver..lol. I have learned to live with this, with the small and the big stuff in this hobby. If I buy something from the LHS, and there is a bad electronic component to it, I just call horizon right away instead of dealing with the LHS. I mean, they have to go to horizon anyway, so your cutting out the middle man , so to say.

But I have to say horizon Hobby has some of the best customer service I have seen. For instance, I bought a spektrum servo end of last season for one of my jets. Probably got 3-4 flights on it. When I powered up my jet this year, the servo burnt right out. Called horrizon, they sent me a new one, no questions asked. To top it off, the next day I flew my BU32, had a little bounce on landing, front nose gear collapsed and stripped. Sent me a new one right away. Now I dont know where you can get service like that anywhere, nevermind a hobby shop. Lets be honest, from their point of view, who knows you didnt fly it into a lake, shorted it out!! not saying you did, but they just send it to you anyway...well didnt mean to go on..I just wanted to give some props to HH..
HH has the BEST service I have ever dealt with. I could take up a whole thread page with what they did for me. :-)
Old 03-08-2012, 06:05 PM
jnatale3

We tried it both ways. The tech got to the point where I was to manually switch the two ports to elevon and elevator and that is when it started to "get quirky" and cut in and out. He was not sure why it did that and said to be safe he would send me a new receiver for free. :-)
Old 03-08-2012, 06:26 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

If you had purchased it from my shop, I would have figured out the problem in 5 minutes and exchanged it out - assuming it hadn't been flown and crashed. Of course, I would have to wonder at what point did you throw the box away; once you got out the door of the hobby shop, once you got home, or after the manufacturer told you to return it? Normally people keep the boxes so they can store and transport the planes, chargers and batteries in them. It probably seemed really, really strange (as it would to anyone who worked in a hobby shop) that someone would pull the plane out of the box and set it aside, throw the box away, then wait a few days before testing the plane.

Honesty, there is really no profit in those planes anyway. They normally cost more to ship in, stock and service then you make off them as a retailer. Unfortunately, if you don't stock them, you have to answer to people who become angry because they can't see them in person before ordering them online in order to save the tax!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
jnatale3

ORIGINAL: w0mbat

If you had purchased it from my shop, I would have figured out the problem in 5 minutes and exchanged it out - assuming it hadn't been flown and crashed. Of course, I would have to wonder at what point did you throw the box away; once you got out the door of the hobby shop, once you got home, or after the manufacturer told you to return it? Normally people keep the boxes so they can store and transport the planes, chargers and batteries in them. It probably seemed really, really strange (as it would to anyone who worked in a hobby shop) that someone would pull the plane out of the box and set it aside, throw the box away, then wait a few days before testing the plane.

Honesty, there is really no profit in those planes anyway. They normally cost more to ship in, stock and service then you make off them as a retailer. Unfortunately, if you don't stock them, you have to answer to people who become angry because they can't see them in person before ordering them online in order to save the tax!
I threw it away the night I got it. That night is when the problem started after I binded it. I was going to get the box the next morning but the trash people already came. In regards to storage I have coated large hooks that all three of my planes are seated safely on. :-)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah, but anytime you buy a new product you should always keep the box for at least the warranty period. Additionally, it's a good idea for when the technology advances and you're bored with the old product, you can simply pack it up and sell it online, recoup some costs for the next toy. Are you that tight on space that the box had to go in the trash right after buying the plane? I don't know why a person would do that.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

never throw away a box of anything r/c until your happy with it and it flys good, ive learned this the hard way too
Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Rob2160

Did you read Page 8 of the Manual?

you physically have to swap the Elevator and Aileron servo plugs in the RXwhen using a DX6i, same deal for the larger F27.

If you don't do this then your Elevons will be reversed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77870.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1736588  
Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 AM
jnatale3

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

Yeah, but anytime you buy a new product you should always keep the box for at least the warranty period. Additionally, it's a good idea for when the technology advances and you're bored with the old product, you can simply pack it up and sell it online, recoup some costs for the next toy. Are you that tight on space that the box had to go in the trash right after buying the plane? I don't know why a person would do that.
Why? Because I just did and have never had issues in the past. I have plenty of space. Keeping the box was important, but things could be done to make it right. Yes yes yes yes yes I know now to keep the box in the future. What a big deal out of the small part of my point this has become. If it was me it would have gone like this:

1.) Order a new plane for customer
2.) When new plane comes in, give customer plane
3.) Send defective plane back to Horizon Hobbies for credit
4.) POLITELY remind customer to always keep box
Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 AM
jnatale3

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Did you read Page 8 of the Manual?

you physically have to swap the Elevator and Aileron servo plugs in the RX when using a DX6i, same deal for the larger F27.

If you don't do this then your Elevons will be reversed.
Yes, this is what we did when the receiver started acting up. I even asked the tech if the ports were switched wrong (even by me) if it would cause the malfunctioning and he said it would not.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 AM
jnatale3

Okay, with all of this said. I know to KEEP THE BOX. Yes, I have plenty of room in my "hangar" for the box, just from my previous car/truck experiences I never had an issue. The expression "live and learn" is present here I guess. I will keep a "spot" open in the garage for all receipts and boxes for products. As mentioned before, LHS guy seems okay now and that is good. Thanks for all the input. I don't see the need to beat this dead horse issue anymore........... :-) - Joe
Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: jnatale3

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

It does help to give all the details on your first post
Ever have one of "those" days and you type faster than you can think? LOL

And now the first post is completely gone - the OP doth protest too much, methinks.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:06 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Where's the original question?

If you're upset at the poor customer service at the LHS, complain to HIM! Going online doesn't help fix it.

I hope you've learned to save the box! Treat it as if it costs the same as the item it held.