Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is there a book on covering aircraft that is NOT 99% about Monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is there a book on covering aircraft that is NOT 99% about Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:43 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a book on covering aircraft that is NOT 99% about Monokote

I'm not anti-Monokote or the other fine plastic coverings but I'd like to learn more about alternate covering methods such as silk, Silkspan, Jap tissue, etc. Most of the books that I've run across claim to be all about different covering methods but then spend most of the book talking about how to do that perfect Monokote job.

I'm more into vintage designs than the latest rocket planes.

Thanks,

Harvey
Old 08-31-2015, 06:21 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never seen one. But there are many good written descriptions and You Tube videos on all sorts of covering techniques. Just takes some searching. I like books, but for this kind of thing their time seems to have passed.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 AM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Harry Higley has several books on building techniques.

There Are No Secrets gets into all kinds of coverings.

http://www.harryhigley.com/index.htm

Sullivan bought up all the rights and Tower sells the full line.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't recall seeing any books that dwell on the old types of covering. I learned how to use silk span in the 50s and 60s and it was trial and error. Same with silk and also glassing.
I did buy the Harry H book on covering with Mono but really didn't learn a lot of anything new that I didn't hear from mentors. I still do some glassing but have my own ways to do things but it's been ages sense I have done any silk covering. Once I used the TEX iron on covering I wouldn't do silk and dope again. I just did some silkspan work though and it was like riding a bike, came right back to me.
I do have a very old how to modeling book but it's in my Kindle. If it has what you need I will let you know and maybe get it to you as a loan or gift?
Old 09-01-2015, 02:26 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You can cover a model the same way you cover a full scale only use the light weight uncertified Dacron cloth instead of the heavy Dacron cloth used on full scale airframes. I have been doing this for decades and if I can do it, anyone can....

http://www.polyfiber.com/stits/index.htm

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 09-01-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:59 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Once I used the TEX iron on covering I wouldn't do silk and dope again.
Is that because the TEX process is that much better or because the silk and dope process is that messier/tedious?

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I do have a very old how to modeling book but it's in my Kindle. If it has what you need I will let you know and maybe get it to you as a loan or gift?
That sounds like something I'd like to add to my reference file. I wouldn't mind getting a copy if it can be downloaded off your Kindle onto a thumbdrive.

Harvey.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:07 AM
H5487

Originally Posted by sensei
You can cover a model the same way you cover a full scale only use the light weight uncertified Dacron cloth instead of the heavy Dacron cloth used on full scale airframes. I have been doing this for decades and if I can do it, anyone can....

http://www.polyfiber.com/stits/index.htm

Bob
Hi Bob,

It looks like we're FINALLY getting some cooler mornings and evenings here in Texas!

Yes, I'm familiar with the Stitts Process but even the lightest Dacron would be too heavy for some of the smaller models like 1/2A. I grew up trying to build every Guillows model they made and would like to try my hand at tissue covering again. However, there are several types of tissue and several types of processes for each. I'd like to find a book (or even a good magazine article) that looks into each.

I used Royal's Silron on my Goldberg Falcon 56 in the 1970s and really liked it. Of course, it's not available anymore so I thought I'd give silk a try.

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 09-01-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:21 AM
FlyWheel

Did you try the local library (remember those? they lend those bound collections of paper and ink data called "books" )? They tend to have many older and out of date editions on many subjects, especially those in smaller towns. There is a chance you might find something from the pre-polymer covering era.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by H5487
Is that because the TEX process is that much better or because the silk and dope process is that messier/tedious?

That sounds like something I'd like to add to my reference file. I wouldn't mind getting a copy if it can be downloaded off your Kindle onto a thumbdrive.

Harvey.
.The Tex is a true cloth covering that irons on like the mono but is much easier to both put on and shrink. Also comes in colors so you don't need to paint. Makes you look like a pro, the stuff is really easy to work with. The no mess no smell is also a big plus. If push comes to shove I will do silk span, it stinks and is a mess but it is still fun to work with. A fellow just did a build in kit building and went silk span and dope.
I have a book to finish today then I will look up and see what the old modeling book has in it. I remember it has a lot of scratch building tips but don't recall much more then that. I have the app for kindle on my computer too so I can download books on it too. I have several kindles though and only use it to pre read an authors work before publishing but the app is free. It's on Amazon kindle.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:25 PM
bunsen

Dave Platt has a DVD called " Back To Basics" where he describes covering with Silk, Silkspan and Polyspan.

DVD # B2B-1

As with all of Dave's Videos it is very useful as well as entertaining.

http://daveplattmodels.com/Videos/index.htm

Cheers
Old 09-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Gray Beard

Cool, a DVD. My book is for the most part design and building and no mention of covering.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:00 PM
peruse12

Hi Harvey
I have a great book that 'covers' this subject , it is called Radio Control Airplane Finishing & Detailing , published by AirAge .It also has lots of other good info on practicalities of scale modelling .
Regards Gary
Old 09-01-2015, 07:21 PM
H5487

Gary, is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Control-.../dp/0911295518

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 09-02-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:05 PM
peruse12

Yes , that is the one , lots of interesting tips in there and not expensive .

Gary

Old 09-02-2015, 04:14 AM
rcmiket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nC-LEeBE-w
While not a book it's pretty informative.
Mike
Old 09-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H5487
I'm not anti-Monokote or the other fine plastic coverings but I'd like to learn more about alternate covering methods such as silk, Silkspan, Jap tissue, etc. Most of the books that I've run across claim to be all about different covering methods but then spend most of the book talking about how to do that perfect Monokote job.

I'm more into vintage designs than the latest rocket planes.

Thanks,

Harvey
What do you need a book for ? Just ask for some advise from folks that have used different covering materials.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:21 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
No book needed !
Covering with silk and papper tissue is easy.
What you do is the same for both types.
1. Paint the entire wing with clear dope (nitrate dope) three to four times, especially on surfaces that where the silk is going to be fastened.

2. Take the silk in your hands and bundle it together and hold it under the warm water tap (Cold water works qually well...) so it gets totally wet and then press ut the water beteen you hands so the silk is just damp.

3. Lay the silk out over the wing (top surface or bottom surface ). Be careful to spread it out evenly as much as you can.

4. Fill a jar with aceton and take a brush and use the aceton filled brush as a way of securing the silk to the outher edges of wing. Start at the wing tip so the silk is secured there (let the aceton evaporate Before you work your way toward root of the wing). The aceton will disolve the dope making the silk stick to the balsa surface. At the same time use your hands to draw the silk tight toward the edges of the wing so that the final result will be a wing covered in an evenly coverd silk surface.

5. Then cover the other side of the wing in the same way.

6. When the whole wing has been covered you paint the whole wing with several layers of nitrate dope.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07217.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2117816   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06909.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2117820  

Last edited by jaka; 09-02-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

As a supplement of what was just written, find the local control-line club and then locate the guys who fly competition stunt. Ask a lot of questions and hopefully, one of them will tutor you.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:18 PM
bluesuperman74

I'm doing this to a cub now. Works well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoT_sY7wbmw
Old 09-07-2015, 03:46 PM
bunsen

Jaka

What is your preferred source for silk?

Ray
Old 09-08-2015, 11:49 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Don't know really! Just bought it in one of the hobby shops over here in Sweden. But during my 40 yeras in this hobby I have used just two different types of silk/nylon weaves , one thinner and one thicker and both have worked equally good.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:51 PM
H5487

Originally Posted by peruse12

Hi Harvey
I have a great book that 'covers' this subject , it is called Radio Control Airplane Finishing & Detailing , published by AirAge .It also has lots of other good info on practicalities of scale modelling .
Regards Gary
Gary,

I found a used copy of the book on Amazon and it came in today. That book has a great deal of information on covering and will be a big help. THANKS for suggestion it!

Harvey
Old 09-08-2015, 01:21 PM
peruse12

Hi Harvey , glad to be of help

Gary