Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine idle

Old 12-29-2016, 04:39 AM
egrave1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine idle

I have a ASPF61 engine when I run it right side up it run great and idles great but when I run it up side down it runs great but I can't get it to idle
Old 12-29-2016, 05:18 AM
jetmech05

Try a glow plug with a bar. Can't remember if it's called an idle bar or a spray bar
Old 12-29-2016, 09:43 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep Jetmech they are called Idle Bar plugs, not all that many out there anymore. Egrave1 Its not real clear that you are using the engine inverted or just now mounted it that way.

Its imperative when using an inverted mount that the fuel tank is lowered in the fuselage to approximately the same tank height to carb spraybar relationship as when the engine is mounted upright. Failure to do this always can cause running problems as well as hydro lock and syphoning problems.

John
Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM
egrave1

The cal does not allow the engine to be mouted any other way. And what do you mean by using an inverted mount that the fuel tank is lowered in the fuselage to approximately the same tank height to carb spraybar relationship as when the engine is mounted upright.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Lower the tank as much as you can, and put a glow driver on the engine that will come on , on low throttle, to keep the plug hot... You may still have to set the idle higher than normal as well.

sp
Old 12-30-2016, 02:10 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The centerline of the tank should be at the same height as the carburetor. And I am a big fan of glow drivers! Some guys will say "Oh, you don't need that!" or "That's cheating!" but I say, when it keeps my plane from crashing, I'm using it!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:12 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You shouldn't need a glow driver if the tank height is set up right. Sure, they can make an engine run when it won't otherwise, but it's just a bandaid.

If you can lower the engine in the fuselage to put the centerline of the tank even with the carb's spraybar, you won't likely have any more troubles with your engine. But when you go inverted in a setup that otherwise works, you are lowering the carb in relation to the tank, which increases the fuel pressure going to the tank. It's not a big deal running wide open since most of the fuel pressure comes from the muffler tap then. But the trouble shows up at idle. A way to fix it if you can't get the tank right is to add a Cline regulator, but that's something else to maintain in your system.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I agree with Jester! No glow driver is needed on any glow engine if it is set up correctly.
I donīt know if the person asking is familiar with the "tank placement rule" or not but here it goes.
"The tank should always be placed so that the center of the tank is in line with carb intake orrifice when the airplane is sitting horizontally" (means in the flying position with tail up high).
If this rule isn't followed you cannot expect a glow engine to run right.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 AM
jaka

Hi!
I agree with Jester! No glow driver is needed on any glow engine if it is set up correctly.
I donīt know if the person asking is familiar with the "tank placement rule" or not but here it goes.
"The tank should always be placed so that the center of the tank is in line with carb intake orrifice when the airplane is sitting horizontally" (means in the flying position with tail up high).
It is also important to choose the correct glow-plug, and that is not using a glow plug with an idle-bar.
Idle bar glow plugs is something of the past (fifties) and should/ought not be used on modern engines if you want good performance! Remember! The problems the questioner tells about is not remedied by using this or that glow plug it's a tank placement problem.

As with all sport glow engines an Enya 3 or OS 8 is a good choice.
Fuel: 5-10% nitro and 20% castor oil or synthetic or a blend of these.
Propeller in this case: 12x6, 13x6 or 14x4 for most planes.
11x8 or 11x71/2 if it's a fast "old school" pattern plane (i.e Curare, Atlas, Blue Bird).
Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 AM
jaka

Hi!
It is also important to choose the correct glow-plug, and that is not using a glow plug with an idle-bar.
Idle bar glow plugs is something of the past (fifties) and should/ought not be used on modern engines if you want good performance! But remember! The problems the questioner tells about is not remedied by using this or that glow plug it's a tank placement problem.

As with all sport glow engines an Enya 3 or OS 8 is a good choice.
Fuel: 5-10% nitro and 20% castor oil or synthetic or a blend of these.
Propeller in this case: 12x6, 13x6 or 14x4 for most planes.
11x8 or 11x71/2 if it's a fast "old school" pattern plane (i.e Curare, Atlas, Blue Bird).