Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flat worktops?

Old 12-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat worktops?

I am a little frustrated and I was hopeing that somebody can point me in the right direction.

What are you guys using for work tops to build your kits on? I just spent 400.00 on a new work bench. All the specs looked great. the board is 1 5/8" thick. Unfortunately, When I ran a string across it, there is a 3/16" drop in the middle. I tried to shim it up but at 1 5/8 thick it isn't going to well. I called the nearest billiard shop to see if they have any slate lying around but they don't have anything large enough to build a giant scale plane on. Any suggestions?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:24 PM
vkernus
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Flat worktops?

Have you tried your local glass supplier? I thick slab of glass properly supported will be nice and flat. Also, consider a solid core door. You can get a good "second" from a buildingsupply company. I paid $20 for mine and it is as flat as can be.

Victor
Old 12-22-2004, 04:31 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately, even if you layed a 1/2" thick slab of glass on a table with a 3/16 dip in it, the glass will bend.

If I were you, I'd shove a 2x4 "Leg" under that table right in the middle, then put shims between the 2x4 and the table as needed (IF needed)
Old 12-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Crash90

MinnFlyer. I think that the 2x4 will be my first approach. I dont know what this top is made of but man is it strong. I can stand on it and the top barely moves. I will probably have to raise the 2x4 a little at a time to get the top to "bow" back into place.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:57 PM
vkernus
My Feedback: (1)

I am sorry if I was not clear. I did not mean to imply that you should put glass over the warped table, but use glass or a solid core door on a different support. If the top is warped as much sa you say, not much you can do to straighten out.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Crash90

Yah know. For the price of a hollow core door, I can just buy one, lay it over my work bench and use it. The outer perimiter of the bench is perfectly level so I could just clamp the door to the edges. I do have a piece of 1/8" tempered glass over my workbench. Obviously it curves with the bench top. Boy it sure does make cutting monokote easy.
3/16 was a guestimate.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:59 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, I just build mine out of 2X4s, made the frame, and then put 3/4 inch Partical board on it. Make the frame straight, the bench will be straight. Then I tape posterboard over it so when I spill glue and stuff, I can just replace the sheets of posterboard and have a new top! Works great. If you like to use pins, then put cellotex over the partical board and tape the posterboard over the top of that.

Makes a great workbench, and cheap too! Specially when you can get the wood from LP factory second store.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Crash90

Thanks Guys. I already invested alot of money into my new work bench. Sooo, I will try to raise the center up with a 2x4 as the top is not currently supported in the center. If I can't get it perfect then I will just throw a hollow core on top to build the wings.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Stick Jammer

Yah know. For the price of a hollow core door, I can just buy one, lay it over my work bench and use it.
Gotta be a solid core door, not hollow core. A hollow core door will just get you right back where you started. My bench is made from an used solid core door picked up for free from a construction site.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Crash90

Yes, solid core. Sorry.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:16 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, but I've had no trouble with a hollow core door. Of course your base has to be level and true, but that's the case with anything you use. Besides, you can buy a new hollow core blank for about $30.
Dennis-