Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

2 degrees right thrust

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2 degrees right thrust

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 05:50 AM
J-MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 degrees right thrust

This is my Strega by Phoenix (Sorry about crapy photo's, crapy camera)
As you can see the motor is at 45 degrees.
To get the clearance for the prop on the cowl , I had to run the front two bolts of the adjustable engine mount though the engine mount holes.See pics.
So in the manual it is not clear if the 2 degrees right thrust is already incorporated into the model. And being a adjustable engine mount (not for me though because of bolts through engine) how do you get right thrust without down thrust? Because mount is on 45.
so how do I check. And if wrong how do I solve.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94090.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	210845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99084.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	210846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58445.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	210847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36611.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	210848  
Old 01-05-2005, 06:26 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 2 degrees right thrust

Hi!
Forget about it!
It isn't necessary to have any sidetrust all all...Just check so that you at least don't have righ trust. Set prop horizontal and eyeball distance to the wing ...that simple!
Looks good as it is. But do change that MA prop to a 10x6 APC , that way you will get more speed and better performance.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try looking at the firewall very carefully, the offset should be built in. You can add to the offset by removing the left (facing the front, as if you were the pilot) screw that holds the motor mount, loosening the top and bottom screws a few turns, and inserting a small washer between the motor mount and the firewall while reinstalling the left screw. 2 degrees is difficult to measure, for sure. I would look carefully at the firewall first, measure very carefully the difference between the left and right side of the firewall back to the nearest former, or the most convienient vertical point that you can measure to. I believe you will find the offset to be about 1/16 in. PS.. I like Jaka's response, and the convienience of measuring from the prop to the wing. I love this place.....
Old 01-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Put your propeller horizontal and measure from the rudder to each propeller tip
This difference is the angular displacement.
Take this difference divide it by half the propeller diameter then take the arc sine and you will have the angle.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Ed Smith

Looking at the picture of the engine mounting it would appear as if the engine is held in place with two screws and what will end up as a bent strap. That lot will shake loose and go into self-destruct mode. I would suggest you get a different mount where all four engine screw holes can be used. There is a disaster waiting to happen.

Ed S
Old 01-05-2005, 08:44 AM
J-MAN

Well there are actually nuts in the metal mount that the bolts screw into. Also there are four more nuts to go on to the bolt to lock it.(there not on yet). And this method is from RCM news #67 Page 24. Product review Phoenix Strega ARF. "This was simply achieved by passing the front engine bolts through the mounting plate and the though the front bolt holes on the engine. The kit also supplies lock nuts and spring washes that will result in a secure and trouble free engine installation."
Thank you all for you contribution.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Johnny C!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J-man,
I have flying my Dazzler ARF with an OS FL-70 for a few months with that
exact arrangement. No problems of it working loose. I just pulled that motor
off the Dazzler to try it on a Sig Skybolt (same mounting) & when I removed
the motor from the mount, it was still solid. I'm going to add left & down thrust
using washers behind the mount.

Goog Luck!

Johnny C