Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Starter Problem

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Starter Problem

Old 03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
orion1210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Problem

Hi Guys,

I;ve just bought a sullivan dynatron starter. First time i used it on a conventional ccw engine the ali starter cone cup unwound itself and promptly flew off. I've refitted it several times and tightened the locking nut down but still it unwinds. Whats the point of having all this starting power if it cannot be transfered to the engine!?! I'm only using 12v and trying to start a webra 91AAR heli engine.

Does anybody have any tips to make the conventional retaining method more secure?
Old 03-27-2007, 02:58 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Starter Problem

Try adding a thread locking liquid i.e. Locktite. After adding it and tightening the nut, let it set up for several hours before using it.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Is there enough room on the shaft to add a second nut to lock the first one? You could also try a star lockwasher, and put some threadlocker on the shaft when you tighten the nut down. Torque it good. I have used the same starter for a couple of years, starting a 41cc gas engine, never had the cone come loose.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a lock nut the type with a nylon insert
Old 03-28-2007, 12:00 PM
gbrandt1
My Feedback: (1)

I too recommend a double nut config if possible. Ive had to resort to this, works just fine.....unlike my flying abilities.