Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

"Window Cleaner" covering method

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

"Window Cleaner" covering method

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Window Cleaner" covering method

Hi all;
Can anyone point me in the direction of the thread on multi-color covering using the "window cleaner" method? I can't seem to find anything in my search.
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Runway

Default RE: "Window Cleaner" covering method

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60...magator/tm.htm
Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 AM
CB36

Thanks Runway. Very interesting indeed! Just wondering how the covering will get tight over rib bays if no heat is used?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Flying freak

it wont shirk without heat, this is used to aplly mk to mk not mk to wood i wouldnt use this teniqu directly on wood becaue the windex will soften up the balsa...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Runway

CB36
You'd cover it as normal, first of all - ie shrink the base colour [white is probably best] onto the fus and wing. The 'windex method' comes after that, with the fancy coloured pieces being laid over the base covering and allowed to dry. It seems to work with what we call 'Solarfilm' in the UK but not with [the more expensive] 'Profilm' - I'm not sure what the US trade names are.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
CB36

Thanks, Runway, for that!! Now it all makes sense. I'm gonna have to try this method. I guess our Monocote will work.
CB36
Old 04-10-2007, 03:10 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

The other method you might be after is the 'glass method'

(I've done this a few times, on a few wings..)

Basically, you need a peice of glass. You lay donw the base / large / rearmost peice. you then iron on the other peices / sections and build up a sheet of covering. Pretty much like a quilt; a whole bunch of pieces / sections are used to create a sheet. The edges should overlap no less than a 1/4". Iron donw the seams with medium heat. Then, once teh sheet is done, peel the sheet off the glass. The covering won't stick to teh glass, and the glass won't allow it to shrink when you iron it all down.

It takes a bit of practice, but once you've got it, it's pretty slick!

Don't go crazy with heat & such in the center sections, especially over open bays. The glue can soften, and pull apart as both peices shrink. Get is all as tight as piossible to minimize needing to shrink the middles. (skill in covering comes in handy!!)

Remember to build up the sheet with the seems facing back. A littel CA painted on eh seams can help

Dark colours will show though light colours, so design / build up your pattern accordingly..