Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

glitches

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:32 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default glitches

I have a 50 Mz futaba T6XAs. (50 Mz is the ham band.) I have had this radio for about 5 years. I have been running this radio on on 3 planes.. the book said that I should have about 20 to 30 paces on the range checks. I have been having alot the trouble with the 3 plane not geting more the 15 paces when the engine was running... I thought it was the Rx in the 3ed plane. So I swopped it out with plane 2. The same thing... Worked on it all day. So I ternd on all 3 planes at the same time and did a range check.. all 3 would start to glitch at the same time. At about 20 paces. but with the one plane it would glich much sooner when the engine was running. but I will have to get to that later.. I have a 2nd transmitter on the same channel so i swopped the batteries and did the same test with the 3 planes on, and got 20 Paces.

What I am asking is.. On this Futaba T6XAs is 20 paces ok.. The guys at the field said that was not good, and I need to fix it. But with 3 Rx and 2 Tx and got the same thing.. I just do not know.

Help out plz

thanks
Paul
Old 07-22-2007, 07:28 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: glitches

20-30 paces is what my Futaba manuals say. 60' is what one of my JR manual says. If the books say 20-30 paces, or 60' then what more do we need?

If you're doing the test the way they say to do it, with the antenna down, then you really should be good to go.

The 15' with the motor running is telling you not to fly that model/equipment. Engines vibrate. Props vibrate. (You checked the prop balance, right? Some say we don't need to check prop balance nowadays. You're proving why that's not good advice.) Vibration causes loose connections to generate radio interference. Check all the connections in the airplane. Swap out the on/off switch. No lie. Swap out the switch. They used to kill more RC models in the old days than SlamAndPray takeoffs did then and do now. If there aren't any loose connections, check to make sure your RX is protected by natural rubber, not synthetic. The natural stuff sold to wrap RXs is natural for a reason. It absorbs the vibrations. If you swap the rubber and the glitching goes away, don't fly that RX. It's got a crack in it or something loose in it. Probably came from running an unbalanced prop.

Next look for any metal to metal contact. The vibrating prop/engine could be rattling some metal-to-metal somewhere. Is the throttle pushrod metal? Metal pushrods anywhere? Hitting what?

When you've about run out of things to check, start swapping out each servo. They're electrical. They often crack a little inside from prop vibration over time, or from crash damage. It doesn't show up until you do a range check with the engine running. RXs do the same thing. Check all the connections as you're doing this swap out deal. You often get to the last servo to swap out, are really tired of the whole mess, and discover that connector isn't solid in the RX. You wonder how you missed checking that right up front, and kick yourself a couple of times.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:27 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a metal clevis on the throttle link replace it with plastic. You might want to try and re route your receiver antenna.
while I balance my props, to have an ubalanced prop cause a crack in a receiver board the airframe would fail before the board would crack.
If I read your post correctly you tired a different transmitter and got to 20 paces? that says your orginal transmitter may be weak and needs a slight tweek. send it in for a look over
Old 07-22-2007, 10:24 AM
da Rock

BTW, when you described the test with all three planes together, you discovered a clue.

With the engine running on one plane and all three planes receiving, all three planes started to glitch at the same time. Is the badboy running a gas ignition engine with a spark system? Sounds like the engine or it's vibration is causing RF output. Check for metal to metal contact on the badboy. Or it's ignition system needs shielding.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:33 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine was not running on the test. I was just cheking to see if the clitches in the Tx and Rx. Both Tx and all 3 Rx did the same thing.. all ov them started to glich about 20 paces. Now that I see that, that is ok now I will start working on the glitch with that gas enging...

I will look at all the things you all was talking about. The one thing is.. if the book said I need 20 to 30 paces.. but with gas you should get about 80% of what you got with the enging off.. Wich is about 15 paces.. I jus do not like that for some reson..

Paul
Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: KI8FR

The one thing is.. if the book said I need 20 to 30 paces.. but with gas you should get about 80% of what you got with the enging off.. Wich is about 15 paces.. I jus do not like that for some reson..

Paul
And you shouldn't like that. 15paces is less than the minimum Futaba wants you to see.