Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

programming flaps on a 9C w/dual elev. servos

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

programming flaps on a 9C w/dual elev. servos

Old 04-05-2003, 01:58 AM
Jaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default programming flaps on a 9C w/dual elev. servos

I have a 1/4 edge with dual elevator servos. I'm trying to program in spoil and flaps on a Futaba 9c. Anyone know how it's done? I can do it with a one elevator servo plane but not 2.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:07 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

You want to program spoil and flaps for your "elevators"? Don't want to sound sarcastic, just want to clarify.

For ailerons, Flaperons and Spoilerons is what you need.

Mike
Old 04-05-2003, 02:39 PM
Jaco

Yes, with the ailerons. So when you give up elevator you will get flaps or spoil on the aileron. Flaps on elevator! LOL, just thought it was a given what im trying to do.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:09 AM
MHawker

Yea, I didn't want to ass-u-me! I'll have to get the book. I did it on my Magic, and it was pretty easy. I'll have to get back to you.... unless someone else chimes in first.

Mike
Old 04-06-2003, 02:49 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have dual elevator servos in my Extra300, and they are programmed through channels 2 and 8 in the reciever, so that leaves wide open channels 1 and 6 for any flap/spoiler mixing I choose. However, even if you can program both flaps and spoilers for operation, I don't think you can have both active at the same time.
If memory serves me you have to activate one and inhibit the other, even though the settings shouldn't need to be touched once set, the operation will be in the activation settiing as far as which function you choose to use for any particular flight..... I hope I havent' thoroughly confused you, but this is how I do recall it. If anyone has more info, please chime in. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:59 PM
Fixed Wing

What you want to do can be accomplished with the 9C. It is explained on Futaba's help pages. Plug the right aileron into channel 1 of the receiver. Plug the left aileron into channel 6 or 7 of the receiver (either one works). Plug the right elevator into channel 2 of the receiver. Plug the left elevator into an unused channel such as channel 8 (or even channel 5 which is some times used for landing gear). Use a program mix to set channel 8 (or 5) as a permanent mixed slave to channel 2. When doing this be sure to activate the "link" and "trim" options of that program mix. You may have to reverse channel 8 (or 5) in order to get both elevator halves to behave in the same direction (you'll see what I mean when you do it). Once done channel 8 (or 5) will always do whatever channel 2 does. Now activate flaperons and set them to whatever switch and percentage deflection you want. I like to use the left slide switch for this so I can either raise or lower both ailerons in a variable fashion. The 9c will beep at you when the slide switch is moved to neutral indicating your ailerons are back to neutral (this audible is handy while flying). I also use another program mix to cause the ailerons to act as either flaps or spoilers as a slave to any elevator movement by linking them together. I set this mixing to a triple rate switch so there is no mixing when the switch is in the middle position, so the ailerons raise (like spoilers) with up elevator when the switch is in the up position and so the ailerons lower (like flaps) with up elevator when the switch is in the down position. These various combinations help with tight loops, elevators, harriers, etc. depending on where your switches are and what you want to do. Always remember where your mixes are set while flying so you don't get an unintended result! Good luck...
Old 05-17-2003, 03:58 AM
Spaceclam

do the mixing with the master channels, because the masters control the slaves. it takes around 4-5 programable mixers to do that
Old 06-15-2003, 01:25 AM
Geistware

A different way to do this is to use the elevator function to save one mix, then you can have the aileron flex with the elevator. You can then put flap control on a switch or you can have flap on one switch and program spoiler on another one. In either case, two programmable mixes should be enough.