Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

elevator epoxy question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

elevator epoxy question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:05 PM
jkovar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elevator epoxy question

Hey hipsters...

I am building a extra 300 arf.

I have to install the elevator through a slot that is built into the fuz. It is a snug fit (I like that). The question is, how do I apply epoxy to the elevator without it pushing out when I go to install it into the fuz (The elevator is allready covered). It is fitting through an oval opening, so it has to slide through. One of the things I though of was putting minimal ammounts of epoxy on the elevator to start with, once I get it in place, draw some epoxy through a straw and then "blow" as much of it as I can through what small gap there is.... any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: elevator epoxy question

You do not want to glue the elevator to the fuselage. The elevator needs to have hinges installed and assembled to the stab.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 PM
whatwind
My Feedback: (1)

are you asking how to install the stab to the fuse? are how to hing the elevator.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 PM
jkovar

ok..my bad... not the elevator itself... the stab... deuuurrh.,,,it has beeen a loooong dayyy.....
Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
whatwind

Ok follow your instructions. get your alinement right mark the stap cut the covering so wood will glue to wood have alcohol and paper towel ready wipe excess.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:04 PM
jkovar

thanks whatwind... I have done all of that... it is just a tight fit I know that I am going to loose alot of epoxy when I slide the stab into the fuz. I guess there really is no easy way of doing it without there being epoxy all over the place...
Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 PM
polkfam

you can cover 1/2 of the stab with wax paper so when you insert it into fuse there is no mess to clean up
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
jkovar

ahhh polk I like that idea... never thought of that.. thanks!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take an empty CA bottle. THOROUGHLY CLEAN IT OUT WITH ACETONE. After it is clean, put your mixed epoxy in the bottle and attach a "Jet" CA tip. Now put the epoxy right at the seam.

I suggest diluting the epoxy ABOUT 5% by volume to allow passage through the small opening on the Jet tip AND to allow the epoxy to soak into the wood.. Be advised that the epoxy will take about 12 - 14 hours to set up and about 48 hours to dry because of the dilution.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I am not an advocate of CA, this may be one of those times when it is the best solution, if you have a nice tight fit, place the stab into position and lock it in with thin CA. If there are any gaps, carefully fill with soda (that powdered white stuff used in the kitchen) making sure none is built up where you do not want it, and then hit it again with thin CA. Instant rock solid bond that will destroy the wood before the joint breaks. Any imperfections outside the area will be very difficult to sand out, thats why you make sure there is no build up of soda outside the area you want it to be before you add the thin CA.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using nothing but CA since the ARF craze started - never had a problem. Here is what I do -

Fit the elevator, remove the required covering then put it back in. Line it up and then run some thin CA in the joint and follow it up with some medium. The thin will suck the medium right into the joint. I have been doing this on everything - even Giant scale. I defy anyone to break the joint.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 AM
jkovar

all great advise.. thats why I love this place... thanks a million!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:43 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
It's simple! You don't use epoxy!
Use Ca glue instead!
I use "Flash" CA glue when building all my airplanes, pylon racers as well as scale
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40265.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	897043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99498.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	897044  
Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

or...Bolt on the wing like you're getting ready to fly. Get your trammel string ready, so you can obtain correct stab to wing positioning. If you have removed just enough of the covering material on the stab for gluing, as usually instructed, so that the end result "Looks Pretty"...remove about 1/4 to 1/2" more so it looks ugly! Carefully sand the fuselage stab slot until you can easily glide the stab in, and move it about slightly. ( Keywords here are Carefully and Slightly!) This allows for proper gluing and helps for alignment too. Slide the stab in place. Mix 2-ton/30 minute epoxy. Place a bead (frugally for weight concern, but completely)all around where the stab meets the fuselage sides. Slide the stab back and forth/side to side in the fuselage slot. This will place glue in the most critical fuselage/stabilizer contact area!

Square off with the trammel string, and level stab to wing by eye.

Add fillets if desired, and touch up for appearance!