Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

stupid s3 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:22 PM
ringneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid s3 question

i think this may be a stupid question so here it is how do you other ttr guys position the air cleaner so it doesnt rub on the brake/throttle linkage!? i just got done installing the linkages and so forth put the air cleaner on then the body and man that thing is smashed down pretty hard im not even gonna fire this pig up till i figure something out does somebody make a different boot oe what?[:@]
Old 08-08-2005, 06:48 PM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: stupid s3 question

This is something I have been pondering myself. I use the Thunder Tiger air filter, and it does rub the linkage a bit. I have not, however, noticed any problem with this. And it is NOT a stupid question! The foam itself is pretty plyable and doesn't seem to interfere with the throttle or brake. All I am worried about is ripping the filter. So far, that hasn't happened, knock on wood. Look Familiar?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90513.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	307579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88925.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	307580  
Old 08-08-2005, 07:36 PM
EB4man

I have some rub but it isn't much. The throttle link just touches the foam a little bit... No problems with it yet. I suppose there are smaller cleaners that can be put on but I'd keep it this way and just keep on eye on the filter.. Take off the body..... push down the cleaner to simulate the body being on, rotate the elbow if needed to get maximum clearance and move the servo arm by hand to make sure theres no binding...should be good to go.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Super_Dave

You can get an air filter hose like the one that comes on they hyper 7 buggies. I don't use it myself because I'm not having any trouble on my kyosho but heres a pic of it. It wraps around the side of the motor over to sit ontop of the reciver box. I don't know where you can get one because it came on my H7 which is now sold.

Name:	Mj24328.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	307596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65118.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	307597  
Old 08-08-2005, 07:51 PM
ringneck

i have a proline body for the mugen mbx and the roof line is not as low as the s3 stock body with the proline one im golden no smashed filter but i like the low slung look of the s3 body. buuuut the proline body has a sick ass wicked paint sceme done by a pro not my 5min. spray can job. i just dont whant my 1000.00 ttr to go bye bye befor i get it to the track.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:56 PM
ringneck

thanks stampy ill search the ofna,gs,racers edge sites mabey ill find something like that it looks like a fix to my prob. the only thing is does it grab air good?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Super_Dave

I just put it on my buggy and I kinda like it actually . As far as grabbing air it does put the filter in a tucked away place but it always worked fine on my hyper. Edit: I am also using the motor saver air filter (don't even know the brand name just liked it and put it on) Its surrounded by a screen and the foam is all compressed in there so it really gets a good seal around the side of the filter so dirt doesn't sneak by there. Its still dirty from raceday (i raced without the prefilter you see with it on my buggy)

Name:	Nk28177.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	307598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73785.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	307599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71839.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	307600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97684.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	307601  
Old 08-08-2005, 08:11 PM
EB4man

Thats a nice set-up. I'm going to look for that too. However, I'm going to provide a fresh flow of cool outside air directed right at the filter by means of a cowl induction type vent or a small hood scoop type thing. I also use the Motor-saver filter elemants. Where can I find the steel core filter housing so the foam don't compress and restrict the flow?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Super_Dave

Mine just came out of the package this way with the dust boot too and I just got it from the lhs I work at. Anything I buy is from there. I was thinking about cutting out a scoop in the side of the window too to get some air but thats gunna let a lot of dirt get in there too.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:21 PM
RCtruckRacer

Several posts on this forum have steered me clear of the motor saver air filter. People here have nothing but bad things to say about it. How do you like it Stampy?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:22 PM
EB4man

thats why i was thinking of a rearward facing cowl induction style vent/scoop on the rear part of the roof. its got to be better than nothing.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:30 PM
ringneck

if any of you guys find that air cleaner tube like little stampy has post back what web site you found it on. i have a snickers bar for a reward!!! ya better hurry cause i might eat it!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:35 PM
EB4man

LOL
Old 08-08-2005, 10:13 PM
peakman

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKLP0&P=0
Old 08-09-2005, 12:44 AM
q8

i have the same issue but with my firroni air filter its to big and keeps on falling
Old 08-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: lstRacerX

Several posts on this forum have steered me clear of the motor saver air filter. People here have nothing but bad things to say about it. How do you like it Stampy?
I don't know what one there using then I haven't had any problems. If you don't run a prefilter to take impact from a role then you can break the element housing because its only plastic but like you saw there its right next to my motor so it wont land on the filter and I use the pre-filter so that takes any impact. It gives great airflow and theres no way dirts going to get past the side of the filter (I blew the mach .26 I used to put the hose on in the first few pics because the stock kyosho element came out from under the 2 overhangs to hold the element in and let dirt by the side of the filter). The only problem I can think of that you would have is breaking the housing around the foam element. The filter comes oiled but the outside of its oiled so they probly kept getting the screen and filter clogged. If you oil the outside of any of these filters they clog up in one tank of fuel on a dusty track. No matter what filter you run oil it on the insided.

Yeah having an actual cowl is better I was thinking about making a scoop but that would scoop dirt from the front tires straight into your filter too .

The link peakman posted is the same tube that comes on the H7
Old 08-09-2005, 03:07 AM
ttr_dude

i use a hobao filter and the extension tube works a treat no interference with the linkages or shell fits smoothly
Old 08-09-2005, 04:38 PM
ringneck

PEAKMAN WINS REWARD oh crap uhhhh my dog ate some home made pot brownies earlier and he got the munchies and ate the snickers bar!!! now hes passed out on the floor with a pinky sticking out between his legs!!!!! sorry dude but thankf 4 the link!!!!!