Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.
View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Bro******** e-book published
Yes - that would be great !
73.91%
Not particularly
26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:38 AM
3dpainter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards

Hi Dominic,thx.its Paul here from Sydney i received your email reply yesterday to my quote request,.was wondering do u make any of your bro's the boards that is in white?...and the dude do u do a dude in just shorts or are they only done in full black?
cheers
paul

Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
YPC

Hi Paul....

I use a polyurethane foam that is specially blown for the ********s nose rocker requirement. It is a high density foam for added strength ( 80 kg/cube as apposed to standard surfboard foam that is 40kg/cube)

Even though some custom boards have a 'stringer'....it is of no use effectively, as the stringer is completely removed in the housing area, where strength is then needed most at the rails to support the length.

The foam is not 'white' in color - it starts of being a light cream and does tend to darken with time to a beige. (balsa color) I could color the foam 'white' before glassing it as a solution.

I am not a fan of painting/spraying a board........it chips quite easily and loses that authentic 'glass over foam surfboard look I like my boards to have.

The Bro Dude.....come in full black neoprene ( a full wet-suit)......I dress mine in a bright green rash vest....but its not a standard.

Regards
Dominic

Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
3dpainter

Hi Dominic,.yeah thx for your reply,..just wondering do you use a mold etc,.i. Just curious is your manufacturing processes for making the board pretty much specifically limited currently to the existing overall size or could you go larger if you simply wanted to without having to go to to much hassle/start from scratch again?..😎
cheers
Paul
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 AM
YPC

Hi Paul.....I don't use a mold for the board - each board is hand shaped and glassed (Glass over Foam)

However - I work from a 'tested template set' and various measurements which I am happy with and have been able to show the boards expected performance through the various video's.

Simply making a board - bigger - is no more of a manufacturing challenge - BUT - I would not be able to give any assurance as to its overall performance... having not done the necessary R&D.

Bro Surfer ( the surfer dude) is partly made from a mold and making a bigger Bro mold would involve a 'new mold process'

I have designed the Shred'A' board size around a number of considerations :

Generally - the average surf surfed by ********s is between 1-4 ft face......research from the many youtube rcsurfing video's.... as well as....... it being near impossible getting onto a face anything bigger if you live/surf in Suburbia.....it will be crowded with 'real' surfers.,,,,,,the thing is.....the bigger the board.......the bigger you need/want the waves to be.
Having said that....this board will certainly manage wave faces as big as 10 ft.....if the possibility/oppotunity ever arose.

The cost of running gear, maintenance and batteries is also a long term consideration due to the product being operated on the ocean (salt water)......my objective has been to keep the sport as affordable as possible from the initial set up cost to to the running and maintenance cost.

Shipping and Transporting the board is also a consideration. If you hope to travel with the board on vacation.....this size will be allowed it as 'hand luggage'......bigger will require packaging and been stored in the Cargo Hold.

Regards
Dominic

Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
3dpainter

Hi Dominic,.u dont mis much ay,.i figured you would have obviously concidered the optimum size hmm all very good points.anyways so u recommend plastic props yeah?
Not that i plan using it on flat water however that porposing u get when going full tilt on flat water is pretty much unavoidable due primarily to the slight rear rocker yeah?,. which if i recal you designed obviously that way as it suited better what the obvious intended use was of better wave riding yeah?
whats a replacment dude worth if a severe dump does happen to kill the poor guy lol?
Do you supply a basic typical timber or plastic type stand to suit the under hull shape or is that just a little home job?
cheers
Paul😎

Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
YPC

Hi Paul.......the plastic props don't need any sharpening and balancing, easy on the shaft and bushing - and - safer in the case of contact....

The porpoising issue is a characteristic with most boats....wanting/needing the tail rocker for better performance as well as a running a smooth hull at WOTl is a challenge.

The first flat water video was of 'my' board with the tail rocker, prior to trimming the hull....I wanted to surf test it first.
I trim the hull out with a small trim tab on the tail edge which works on the basis of water deflection...and not displacement....meaning the faster you go the more effect it has , but still allows for the rocker to do its work...this video is of a board with the trim tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4CBN3HJzRg8#! I doubt you will ever have to replace Bro!......if ever - US$ 100

The board stand I supply is simple - simply a recycled ice cream container. Its light - made of plastic - works very well.....

Regards
Dominic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80416.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1863902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37641.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1863903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16386.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1863904  

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-17-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
3dpainter

Hi Dominic,.thx for the newer link😃.I noticed the more recent board does appear to have achieved getting closer to a whiter look nice,.extra graphics underneath looks better to,.just curios without taking away your cool & all important Bro label/name obviously & no disrespect at all but is it possible or out of the question to have an Aussie flag graphic of some sort on the front of the board??..kinda like the small wavy style flag they have on the side of the virgin Australian airoplanes??
cheers
paul
Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 PM
YPC

Hi Paul.......if you can e-mail me a picture I will make the decal and place it.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 PM
3dpainter

Wow that'd b way cool thx,.i goda get me 1 of these awesome things😛😛btw luv your lightning fast responses your a legend lol😎
Old 03-18-2013, 10:34 PM
YPC

Pleasure Paul !.....if I'm on the PC its easy.....I home school my 4 Kids in the morning, so am around the PC.......afternoons are spent in the workshop.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 AM
3dpainter

Hi Domonic can u do a sleeveless rashy or is that a pain?...hay this probably sounds pointless,.& yeah possibly not quit as convenient but I was thinkin how cool would it look when peeps r checkin him out up close if Bro actually had a velcroed scale size leg rope attached from the board to his ancle lol.
Ps it took a cool snap shot of good old bro riding a sweet wave from your long beach vid & stuck it on my profile pic lol😎
cheers
Paul
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 AM
YPC

Paul....the sleeveless rashy wont be a problem.......the leash would be a cool scale detail.....you can be the first one to do that......Years back some of the guys used to make the antenna look like a leash.....
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 AM
3dpainter

That would b cool,.but isn't the antenna required to b in a vertical position?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 AM
YPC

That was when they used 27mhz antenna's ..........they were quite long and it did not really matter.
The new 2.4 gig antennas are to short and can remain inside the housing.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:52 AM
3dpainter

Ooh yeah right I was thinkin of that old NQD they had the stupid looking arial stickin up out of the board,.thats heaps better,.hmm yeah i might do that,.work on something for a reasonably authentic looking leg rope set up for good old bro,.im happy to pay for your extra time if it would b not to time consuming/possible for u to incorporate a rope attachment point into the surface of the board in a similar size & location as per a real surfboard ready for me to use it?
,.if ino thats a possibility i'll definatly make something nomatter how difficult or annoying it ends up being as a 1 off..,.if the job ends up being a suitable & reasonably easy solution I'll let uno & u can use the idea if interested or just advise others buyers etc

You only except PayPal is that correct?,.just wondering cause it takes like a week just to transfer the money from a normal bank account into a PayPal account,..(i hate wasting time lol)..I'm sure every ones had different experiences however just to let uno twice years back I sold an item to an overseas buyer,.i sent the item on both occasins because i could see the money was in my account only to b advised by PayPal to late not to mail the item to the buyer because the funds had been frozen as the buyer had apparently hacked someone's PayPal account & made the purchases off me and after there so called investigation the money was apparently returned to the "legitimate" PayPal account holder & well long story short I got screwed both times so that really made me think PayPal isn't all its cracked up to b at least certainly not from a sellers point of view.
cheers
Paul
Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 AM
YPC

Hi Paul......no promises ....I'll give it some thought.........I'm more of a technical/functional builder ( stand off scale) than a close up scale detail builder.....LOL

Paypal has worked well 'so far for us over the years'............most all our products take a few weeks to manufacture and ship so we have good time to ensure that the money is good and transferred into our account.

,Do you know that you can 'page through this thread'..( page options at the top and bottom of each page ).......just asking because you had not seen the video's I linked you to.

You can also send me a PM ( private message) by selecting PM at the left hand bottom corner of the block.

Regards
Dominic
Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM
YPC

Howzit Guys !...........I'm another year WISER today !......at least that's what Lisa-Marie told me this morning when I woke up "you are not a year older......just another year wiser !!!!! .......

Shot down to Long Beach 'early' this morning to have a 'Birthday session' and to meet up with one of the great pioneers and legend Big wave surfers 'Glenn Bee' renowned for surfing Dungeons and Sunset - big wave breaks, among others.

Glenn will be helping me get Bro onto one of the big wave faces out at SUNSET break...his happy we can do it....Winter is the right time...so I am looking forward to that belated birthday present............15-20 ft plus ...........WOW !

Had a few small Bombs and one or two great Barrels today.......Lisa-Marie did well to capture the action once again !.....what a Babe !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8rCSsUeNF8 and its not even the weekend yet !!!!

I would want a 'calmer' - 'smaller' day than this.......LOL......one of Sunsets 'bigger' days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I_CmXTwsNU

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-17-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM
bricedenice

Happy Birthday ! you are very luky to have this very good waves and you bro surf very well.
is it your new board ?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
YPC

Hi Bricedenice....thanks for the birthday wish.....we cant stop getting 'older'.........but we don't have to 'grow up'.........LOL

I have been lucky to be getting a few good waves.....they have mostly been fast and closing out...but....makes for good practice for the better days coming in Winter.....and its always great fun for all.

The board in my videos is my 'personal Shred'A' board -seen in the first test video.......the board I used to share 'the build' in this thread went to a fellow in California........who should be receiving it 'very soon'......they are all pretty similar........I tweak small details as I go along.

How is the rcsurfing scene going in France ?

Regards
Bro'

Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 AM
YPC

Default RE: Bro ********'s Custom Boards

Adding some color to this build......using a water based paint ( yellow and white) straight onto the PU foam - then glassing over it. Keeping the 'underside' white -as I flow-coat the inside of the hosing white which shows through the glass - hoping the two whites will match up on the underside......tricky exercise....

Name:	Hf98935.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1865488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65486.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1865489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62497.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1865490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63413.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1865491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13222.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1865492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30844.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1865493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13930.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1865494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62646.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1865495  

Old 03-23-2013, 02:34 PM
biketuna

Hey YPC can you make a goofy foot dude?

Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 PM
YPC

Howzit Biketuna.......!

Yeah !...thanks for asking...that would be possible...I would have to make a reverse mold...I had not considered it, but... I guess their would be a few folk wanting to surf goofy footed !....I will post one when I am done !

Bro'
Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 AM
biketuna

Cool thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM
YPC

Had to head up the West Coast to-day to join family for a lunch date - SO ! - took Bro with to see what surf we could find along the way....very windy - on-shore conditions........BUT - we were their.....SO !.......surfed it anyways !.......beats mowing the lawn.......LOL

We usually surf 'Long Beach at the backside of Table Mountain.......so we are on the opposite side of the mountain this time.......Robin Island situated in Table Bay is where Mr Nelson Mandela spent 26 years of his life locked up in Prison.......

No great surf or surfing.....but - showing off a piece of my beautiful city - their is always that 'tiny little STOKE' that makes it all worth while...and some good music !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qyu-GMMxkM

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-17-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
YPC

Default RE: Bro ********'s Custom Boards

Surf Report predicted 3-4 ft light off-shore for to-day !.......who can do any work with that threat hanging around......?

Sorted all my 'need to do's' out this morning - booked Lisa- Marie for the arvi.....and we were off to the beach.....
Well ! the surf report was close - but not quite right......it was still puffing a mild on-shore breeze - but -their was some size and enough ridable face to enjoy.....
So! as we say...."we are here....Lets Surf it" !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4XmGjAXO9Q That off-shore might just come through to-morrow.......better make sure the batteries are charged !!!

Having my picture taken for a local 'whats happening' community web site......"How the 'old-er' folk pass their time now days".........LOL

Name:	Wu61186.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1866843  

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-17-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.