Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Help Please

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Need Help Please

Old 04-17-2007, 05:14 PM
alias_neo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Please

Hi there people, I'm new and have come here out of desperation and in need of assistance. I have been aiding my grandad in building a model boat from plans he has. He has managed to make the hull etc of the boat which is absolutely beautiful and it has now come to the electronics of the boat. I am an electronic engineer and hence my aid in this part but I am at the moment totally lost as I have absolutely no past experience in RC. I will provide all details possible and maybe someone could assist.

The parts we have have been all bought individually (on the most part) as birthday/christmas presents for my grandad and so are not all necessarily compatible (all though i deeply hope they are to save having to tell him otherwise).

The parts we have are as follows:

RC Line Digital HBS-60, 8-24 Cell EZ Setup Opto (Controller?)

Futuba ATTACK 2ER - AM27 (Transmitter/Receiver/Servo kit)

Contains: TX: T2ER, RX: R122JE, SX: S3003 x2

The Receiver as mentioned in the kit is a Futuba FP-R122JE AM 2 CHAN

Battery being used is a PS Powersonic, Model PS-640F 6V 4.5Amp Hour. (www.powersonic.co.uk)

Also using 2 x 3-9V DC motors (I can't give you any more details on these as I don't know.)

Here is the setup:

RCLine controller in the middle of all this, it has its on/off switch. Battery connected to the B+ and B- terminals. Link to receiver going to CHAN 2 (Throttle) on the receiver, motor output going to the two 3-9v motors wired in parallel. The servo for rudder control is connected to CHAN 1 (Rudder) and on the receiver the BATT connector is connected to a battery pack with 4 x AA batteries.

Unfortunately I do not have the instructions for the RCLINE HBS-60 So I have no idea how to set it up using the setup button and flashing light.

At present, when I pull the throttle lever on the transmitter back it will speed up the motors. If i bring it to centre the motors spin a tiny amount, and if i push it forward the motors stop and do nothing. All this time rudder control using the left/rght lever on the transmitter works what I assume to be fine (i see the horn turning left and right)

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Need Help Please

It sounds like what you want to do is move the servo reversing switch on the transmitter to the opposite direction as you want to push upwards on the stick to accelerate. You should have a trim lever to finely adjust the speed control from there alongside of the stick. Start off with that one in the neutral position.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:45 PM
alias_neo

I have tried this, however it does not solve the problem. Sure by putting the switch to reverse allows me to push forward to throttle but why will pulling back not reverse my engines. Also, my controller has a light on that flashes and a setup button. THe only time my throttle works is when the light on the controller flashes and is not steady lit or off. There is a pattern to this but I don't have the instructions so I can't work it out. Any more ideas?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Ron Olson

I tried looking on www.rcdocuments.com for your ESC but didn't see it in there. Maybe I put in the wrong info. This is a good site for people that have lost their owners manuals for engines, radio systems and ESC's.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
alias_neo

Nope, thanks for the suggestion but it isnt on there. I noticed one of your members Macleod has the same ESC? Mainly because his profile on this forum was the only result google returned. Is it possible to private message him? Is he even active? and maybe ask if he could get me a copy of the instructions or explain how it works? Or if it does reverse etc.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Ron Olson

Sure, shoot Ross a PM! Click on his screen name and his profile will come up. From there you can either PM or e-mail him.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:24 PM
alias_neo

I have sent an e-mail, hopefully he will be able to help me out.

I'm looking to built myself a RC car preferrably offroad with a nitro/fuel engine when this is all finished. No clue where to start with that yet though and it won't be in the near future.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Ron Olson

Buy a Ready To Run nitro truck then learn from there.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I found an RC Line forum: http://rclineforum.de/forum , but it's not in a laguage I can understand. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
I also found these people selling an RC Line 60A boat ESC, perhaps they can help? http://www.brentfordrc.co.uk/scripts...?idproduct=605
Old 04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Ron Olson

To help you understand a little better you can use this: http://babelfish.altavista.com/ . you can translate a few words from German to English or the whole site.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 AM
topfuel4430

I just spent a few minutes searching for what you have and didnt find much, this site, looks to sell controllers similar to what you have, as I got a few hits from the search engine for it. Take a look at this link and see if you recognize the controller. http://www.ripmax.com/7index.asp?Ite...tegory=060-050

Also, you mentioned that this controller is rated for "8-24 cells" (which equals 9.6v - 28.8v) ..... if you only have a 6 volt battery set-up, then the controller could be going into a failsafe mode, as it "sees" less voltage than what it is designed to operate, or a dead battery condition. Most speed controllers have this feature built in and is set from the factory, although you can change it after you program it (if you knew how)

If you could post a close up picture of the controller, it may help us to atleast identify it and point you in the right direction.

~James
Old 04-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Macleod

Here you go alias_neo ,

Let me know if you need any more help with the controller.

One thing I found is that the cooling housing can seperate from the main controller unit, I had to re-silicone it back on.

PM me your email address and I will rescan it in higher resolution and send it to you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82361.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	667036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96814.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	667037  
Old 04-18-2007, 06:05 AM
alias_neo

Hey there, thanks for that. Please tell me Macleod does this controller have a reverse function? It doesn't seem it does from the setup guide. Yes, the one you pictured there is the same one and does it make a lot of difference that the battery we have is only a 6V? I'll PM my e-mail for the higher res scan. Thanks again
Old 04-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Macleod

No it has no reverse, only forward and brake functions. No good for me with the rigger to go backwards.

As for the voltage , I've only run 9.6V (8 cells) to 12V (10 cells) through it, with water through the cooling unit. No idea how it will run with 6V but you can give it a try, but watch the temp....if you not running water.

Sent you email with better scan of instructions.

Enjoy
Old 04-18-2007, 09:55 AM
alias_neo

Hey, thanks a lot for the instructions, very kind of you and i think you for your time and effort. Something that's very hard to come by from a stranger here in the UK.

I had it runnin from the 6V on full throttle for about 5 minutes and the unit stayed stone cold. I guess cooling it shouldn't be a problem. Just in case i did want to cool it, does the controller contain the pump itself or would we need a water pump to pump the water through it?

I spoke to my grandad and he is a bit fed up with it, he's very ill and doesnt have the patience any more. He wants to just get it going with what we have already. Being an electronic engineer I'm trying to figure a way out I can try and improve what we have to do what he wants but being unfamiliar with RC and not knowing in detail the characteristics of the RX/TX or the controller it's hard t do much.

About the reply to my want to build myself a car. Someone suggested a racing truck. I want to build something from scratch first time because I can't really afford nor justify affording a built one then buying another. i would like to build some sort of off-road buggy/mud-plugger (any of you played motorstorm on PS3? - that kind of thing) but i'll talk about that in the relevent section when i get nearer to doing so as it won't be until the end of the year.

Anyway, I might not be back for a while so thank you all for being so kind and especially Ross (Macleod) for the instructions for the HBS-60. Very kind of you. Good bye for now, and it has been a pleasure to vitness this comunity however brief.

alias_neo (Hamid)
Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Macleod

The water is usually supplied from either the rudder pickup or from a seperate pickup around the transom.
Pump are only used on Gas motors with clutches.

As the hull moves forward, the water is forced up the pickup, though the tube to the speed control cooling unit also to the cooling coil/manifold around the motor and then back out of the hull by means of a exit port (fitting screwed through the hull).

Hope to see you back again some time soon.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 AM
LtDoc

alias_neo,
Hate to say it but, replacing the ESC is probably going to be your best bet. It's possible to 'get around' that no reverse thingy but it won't be all that simple and easy, or practical for use.
Good luck.
- 'Doc
Old 04-18-2007, 02:31 PM
alias_neo

Hey there, thanks for the reply's.

I think we are going to make do with the forward only as my grandad neither wishes to purchase another ECS nor tell the person (my aunt) that bought him it as a gift that it doesnt suit the purpose) My grandad has built this more as a project of something to do with his time i would think and he said to me all he wants now is to get it floating, i don't think he is all to worried about the practicality of it for boating purposes and he won't be competing or anything of that sort with it.

About the water cooling, do i put the input pipe behind rudder on the back? so water is flowing away from the opening to the pipe? then where do i put the output? I don't know what a "transom" is, sorry. Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Ron Olson

The transom is the rear of the boat to put it simply, also know as the aft. Port is left looking from the rear of the boat and Starboard is the right. I keep it in my mind as port and left are both 4-letter words. It's sounds stupid but it works for me!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:45 PM
alias_neo

I always remember port anyway because it's the side boats dock in to the port, with the left hand side, and i have a photographic memory so i just picture the part in pirates of teh carribean where Elizabeth comes up behind Jack dressed as a pirate and she asks him if she can join the crew ... there is a boat behnd them docked with the bow of the ship to the left of the screen. Anyway, point made. So i put the in and out pipes both on the rear (transom/aft) of the boat? I'm not certain what you meant by where i need to put them.

It may be that i don't need them at all judging by the lower voltage battery I'm using.