Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What's up with duratrax, anyone know???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What's up with duratrax, anyone know???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM
flipside7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with duratrax, anyone know???

Their site has only six vehicles, are they going out??
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What's up with duratrax, anyone know???

I definitely don't think that they are doing very well. They don't keep up with whats popular (Short-course, 1/8 buggy, monster trucks). Its been like that for awhile now, though.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:20 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Sigma.40

I had aquired 2 Evaders last year and I had a very hard time keeping them up and running at the same time. They just don't have the quality that other RC makers provide. In my opinion, they are just a step above Redcat and Exceed.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Ttowntoolman

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Now thats funny! Started out with a nitro evader, the model helps you get familiar with how to repair your own shizz. Thats the only way to say anything nice about them.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are always coming out with a new model(ie SCT truck) after everyone else does. and they dont do anything better.
if your gonna be last, you gotta be better.

the only edge they MAY have is the bikes. but thats a small market IMO.

I had a evader DT. that servo layout is the crappiest ever! try changing a servo in one....takes 1/2 hour!

and i managed to snap the rear end in half..right where the tranny case joins the main chassis.

after that truck, i dont see myself getting another duratrax.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

I liked there nihm batteries.. Thats about all I can say about them
Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

love their digital thermometer, and own one of their NIMH battery chargers. Works great RC wise can't say anything
Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I liked there nihm batteries.. Thats about all I can say about them
Same here. They make decent chargers as well.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM
flipside7

The vendettas are awesome, but I never heard anything good otherwise, and duratrax doesn't even make it, just a re brand.
I hope they don't go teets up, I'd like them to re brand another knock out.

Beings that the vendetta IS duratrax, I think it's unfair to say that they have nothing, they have next to nothing!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: flipside7

I don't think that an RC company can stay afloat for TOO long with only a crap 1/10 truck and a 1/18 buggy/thing supporting them. Maybe they are trying to get out of RC cars and go into just chargers and batteries?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I don't think that an RC company can stay afloat for TOO long with only a crap 1/10 truck and a 1/18 buggy/thing supporting them. Maybe they are trying to get out of RC cars and go into just chargers and batteries?
They also make a nice wrench
Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I do use their wrench ALOT. Maybe that will save them .
Old 09-28-2011, 05:38 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Seems to me almost like they should phase out their RCs entirely and turn their focus to accessories IMHO
Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I do use their wrench ALOT. Maybe that will save them [img][/img].
Doubtful seeing most people just buy one. Not many people will buy more wrenches unless they lose their 1st one, so its kind of a stagnant market
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Duratrax has a ton of products outside of just cars and trucks. As a company I seriously doubt they are going anywhere. I will agree that some of their cars and trucks leave a lot to be desired and they have released some real losers in the past. Namely the entire Evader line up until the EXT2 / DT models were released. Having owned a couple in the past I will be the first to tell you how bad they were and how they're whole "you break it we fix it guarantee" was/is a joke. After I made my first claim they didn't want to talk to me again so when the next plastic part broke I was on my own...

Now that I've thrown the bad out there let me move on to the good. I saw the DT at Ihobby and liked the look. The body could be more detailed but not bad for $120 truck. I talked to reps at the show and they told me about all the improvements etc. Typical sales guys stuff. it sounded good and looks like a better product so I waited a few months and bought a very lightly used DT off Ebay. Got the truck and it was almost new.

I slapped a battery in and out the door I went. After the first pull of the trigger I knew that they were still running the same old motor as it was still a dog. The steering servo was also weak and slow. No problem.. Traxxas 12T Titan and 2075 servo were laying on the table so in they went. In the past a Titan would kill a Evader gearbox with just a couple of runs so I was kind of expecting the same thing.. Good news is that motor has been in the truck for about 30 runs and it's still together. The servo fixed the steering issues and so far I haven't broke anything on the truck to date which is a major step up from previous products.

I'm not going to say everything Duratrax makes is good stuff but their products seem to have improved over the last couple of years.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Steve.

I had a Duracrap ThunderQuake.... worst RC purchase EVER. never purchased anything branded Duracrap ever since and never will.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:29 AM
megamanturbo

I want to agree with John. I've had a bunch of their chargers, batteries, tools and accessories. They make solid products. And back when I had a Maximum ST, their Customer Service was top notch. I've had no recent issues, but I hope that it's remained the same. Plus, that Maximum ST is the single stoutest RC I've ran. It was a tank...

But yeah, I do agree about the Evader line-up. But what it lacks in durability and race-ability, it makes up for in sheer peer support (You've seen T.E.C. thread). And in my opinion that's almost as much of what makes a good car as the quality of the car itself.

I still have a Vendetta ST, and granted it's not truly a Duratrax, they've done well to support it and I'll give them all due credit.

I'll continue to support them as my needs fit.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
kaycerc

Duratrax has NEVER had their own cars, or made any of their own products, every single one of them is something they've purchased the U.S. distribution rights to or had made for them and re-branded under their name. Once these contracts run out, they stop selling them. .... Now they seem to be moving into the tire market, but I'm quite sure they're having them made for them by someone else as well.