Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Any tips for a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:16 PM
CitrusXsinensis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any tips for a beginner?

I'm just starting to get into the RC hobby. I know that I definitely want a land vehicle and not a boat or a plane.

The terrain around where I live tends to have a lot of grass, and foot traffic, so I'm thinking I'll go with a monster truck so that way I can go through the grass if there's lot of people around.

I'm thinking of getting something either 1:18 or 1:10 because I've found those are two common sizes (and I want it to be bigger than 1:24)

That being said, any tips for a beginner?
Old 10-30-2016, 06:10 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to RCU.

You got a great selection of 1/10 scale monster trucks to choose from on the www. Two wheel drive and four wheel drive? Brushed or brushless? Whatever your choice may be, you definitely should look at nothing smaller than 1/10 scale for the simple fact of better ground clearance which leads to more terrain options.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:04 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on the 1/10 scale
Old 10-31-2016, 01:49 AM
CitrusXsinensis

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Welcome to RCU.

You got a great selection of 1/10 scale monster trucks to choose from on the www. Two wheel drive and four wheel drive? Brushed or brushless? Whatever your choice may be, you definitely should look at nothing smaller than 1/10 scale for the simple fact of better ground clearance which leads to more terrain options.
Originally Posted by seedygreenute
+1 on the 1/10 scale
1:10th scale, duly noted.

I'm guessing I'd go four wheel drive, but I haven't thought that much about it. Is the handling that different?

And I assume by brushed and brush-less you're referring to paints. I was planning on repainting the vehicle after I got it, probably before it's first (maybe it's second) journey. That being said, I don't know enough about paints to know either way, but my girlfriend works at a crafts store so ... there's that.

P.S. Cool Trucks and buggies man!

Last edited by CitrusXsinensis; 10-31-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:43 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A 2wd will be cheaper as it has less parts , and yes , it will handle different .
Brushed vs Brushless refers to the motor type , again , one is usually cheaper than the other .
Did you have Brand/Model you were thinking of ???
Old 11-02-2016, 02:34 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are thinking about driving it through grass then forget the 1/18 vehicles; get a 1/10 scale .

Next , what is your budget?

A good beginner truck would be an ECX. A brushed ECX Ruckus 2wd is around $180.00. A brushed 4wd Ruckus is around $240.00. A brushless 4wd Ruckus is around $330.00
A step up would be Traxxas. A brushed 2wd Stampede is around $220.00 . A brushed 4wd Stampede is around $299.00 . A brushless 4wd Stampede is around $399.00.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:49 PM
CitrusXsinensis

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
A 2wd will be cheaper as it has less parts , and yes , it will handle different .
Brushed vs Brushless refers to the motor type , again , one is usually cheaper than the other .
Did you have Brand/Model you were thinking of ???
$130 Redcat XTE. 4WD Monster Truck. 17.4 inches long by 10.9 inches wide with a ground clearance of 1.5 inches. Top speed of 44 feet per second.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:36 PM
RustyUs

Redcat Blackout XTE?

I would look at/read reviews on that RC; as many as possible. I used to think that particular RC was pretty stout, and I like the fact that the same arms can be used front and back. I believe the manual is actually a manual with step by step instructions on how the thing goes together...when the time comes for repair/maintenance. The time will come . That's all I'm gonna say about Redcat. Some people like 'em, some love 'em, and some people automatically turn they heads away from them.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:12 PM
flyinwalenda

Get something from your local hobby shop that they fully support if you have one nearby.

Otherwise order from a reputable distributor like Horizon Hobby or Tower Hobbies.

Don't go cheap and/or get something from china where you have to order and wait for parts to arrive . Inexpensive vehicles are made that way for a reason..........................and it's not a good reason!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:03 AM
CitrusXsinensis

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Get something from your local hobby shop that they fully support if you have one nearby.

Otherwise order from a reputable distributor like Horizon Hobby or Tower Hobbies.

Don't go cheap and/or get something from china where you have to order and wait for parts to arrive . Inexpensive vehicles are made that way for a reason..........................and it's not a good reason!
I was thinking of buying from RCPlanet.com which is based in Utah, and Redcat is based in Phoenix, Arizona. Plus I'm extremely poor, so as long as the vehicle would work for at least two years I'd be fine. I don't expect to be entering it into any competetion, and it would only be driving over short grass and some short rocky areas (bigger than gravel, but like lake skipping stone size. Those weird landscaping areas that some apartment complex (mine included) like to keep).

Does RCPlanet or Redcat bring up any red flags for you?

Redcat Blackout XTE?

I would look at/read reviews on that RC; as many as possible. I used to think that particular RC was pretty stout, and I like the fact that the same arms can be used front and back. I believe the manual is actually a manual with step by step instructions on how the thing goes together...when the time comes for repair/maintenance. The time will come . That's all I'm gonna say about Redcat. Some people like 'em, some love 'em, and some people automatically turn they heads away from them.
And especially

That's all I'm gonna say about Redcat.
Are you sure? You sure you don't want to say anything more? <Nervous> You started out praising them, and then suddenly got all cryptic on me bro. You got me nervous.

What's you opinion on Redcat? Good? Bad? Neutral?

What's your general opinion, and then what's your recommendation for someone who will probably only be using this on a very casual level, and not doing anything too extreme (besides maybe going through some snow on occasion).
Old 11-06-2016, 10:32 AM
RustyUs

I wanted to get a Redcat platform for a long time. After reading and watching other people's reviews on the brand, I get turned off for a bit, or I stumble upon a deal with another RC. I try to help out with the issues other people have with the Redcat brand. After long painstaking searches for a simple answer to a question...RCs having no manuals; website lacking simple spec details...it's an uphill battle for me most of the time.

I feel Redcat Racing RCs are okay platforms for the money. Usually the price is a big factor for some people. I get that. I don't have first hand use of Redcat RCs so I try not to jump in and put them down. That's why I tell people to watch all the video reviews possible on a particular RC that is in question. You have to weed out the pro and cons. I purposely won't tell someone, "That RC is nothing but crap".

Find a RC that has spare parts in stock...you're good to go. That's what hobby grade is all about. If you break a part, you are able to replace it. How often you break parts falls on RC design, materials used, and user error . Now that Tower Hobbies carries Redcat Racing products, it should not be a big deal.

Get out there and throw some dirt!

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-15-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:16 AM
RustyUs

Oh, and I dislike the idea of RTRs to begin with.

Show me a stripped down RTR (we used to call these kits back in the day) and let me choose what electronics to put in. For me, 99% of all RTRs come packaged with servo, motor, ESC, and radio that I would rip out and resell. That's just me. For a new person looking to jump into the hobby, it's great. It keeps the price down until one gets comfortable with the RC.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:08 PM
flyinwalenda

My suggestions and recommendations stand.
I know nothing about rcplanet but if they are close to you then fine.
I would stay away from redcat..
Old 11-06-2016, 05:24 PM
krokodyl

Yeah, I'd probaly order from tower if you end up choosing a redcat. Not much of a chance that there is one local to you, although you never know.

I don't own many rc cars, and don't use them much either , but I own 2 redcats, a caldera (nitro) and 1/24 sumo. The sumo breaks steering knuckles all the time, but other than that it's good. You can buy better ones, at the cost of the the entire thing. The caldera is good, it works, and the only thing I broke is the drive train, and the engine that only lasted one gallon (but I'm sure that the electrics last much longer). The exploded view is really confusing, and I never used it, I just take out screws untill I find the problem. So, from my experience they are not all so bad. The engine blew, but likely due to my awful tuning. (I had to adjust it all the time, and still do on the os 18. How come my airplane engines never need to be touched after one tune?).

I really don't think that there is ANY rc that will last 2 years without breaking something. Do some searching online, find out what people are breaking the most, and stock up on those parts.

Hubert
Old 11-06-2016, 05:37 PM
tmulligan

Traxxas has amazing customer support.
I got a 2 wheel drive Slash but then wished I had gotten a 4 wheel drive.
I also started with a brushed motor but then quickly wanted to go faster, so I moved up to a brushless motor and lipo battery. if you can swing it, go for a Traxxas Slash 4wd with a brushless motor.

Tom
Old 11-15-2016, 02:41 AM
Breezeby

I just got back into this hobby and picked up the 2wd ECX Ruckus Brushless version for $279. I did read that it was for beginners but to me this thing holds up just fine. I have upgraded mine just s little bit with aluminum parts and new servo and a lipo battery. Here is a video of my Ruckus pulling a brushless 2wd Stampede

https://youtu.be/f5YDbEdrzZU

I have more videos of my Ruckus and I think it holds up just fine against other brands
Old 12-06-2016, 01:26 PM
CitrusXsinensis

So thank you all for your help!

I decided to go with a $220 Redcat XTE, with $40 lights and $20 paints (so $280 all together)

I'll post a picture once I finish the painting.

Thank you all again!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:54 PM
krokodyl

I think you will be pretty happy with the blackout. It is thought as one of redcats better 1/10 models. It probably will be less durable than a ecx or traxxas, but some of redcats models are quite durable. It will probably have more performance than the brushed models aswell. I found that some are good, others not so great. When I started, I got a redcat. I was tempted to buy a traxxas or ECX brushed model, but I kinda wanted nitro. When I found that I have a LHS that stocks redcat, I bought the redcat. 2 months later... The LHS stopped selling redcats. That brings me to my next point. Do you have a LHS? probably doesn't matter much as most don't stock parts for redcats, but it's worth to check. If not, then when you brake something, order 2 or 3 replacements to be ready for the next time it breaks.

Now, did you buy a extra battery and a good charger? Because the stock charger (if it even comes with one) is no good. The battery is probably decent, but unless you like the idea of waiting 16 hours for your battery to charge, and then using your car for 15 minutes, then you should REALLY get a better charger, aswell as extra betteries.

Hubert