Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:37 PM
budman21901

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help.

I purchased my son a New Bright Rock Crawler for his birthday. Took it out one time, and it ran fine. Charged the battery for a second run, and it will not go forward. Has reverse, and steering, but forward is dead. It won't even try to move forward so it seems like a short somewhere. I have adjusted throttle control, and channels but still nothing. It's only 2days old. Toys R Us wont take it back, and to send it to new bright i will have to pay shipping, and wait over 8weeks for a new one, and they don't Guarantee the same model will be available. I pretty much out of options except to fix it somehow. I know this RC is low level compared to the awesome rig's i see on this site, but i was hoping someone could give me some direction into what the problem could be. Thanks for any help you can give me. My son and i will greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65016.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	550868  
Old 10-29-2006, 11:01 PM
WalawalaStore

Default RE: Need Help.

Hi,

Service sounds forever. This type of RTR toy model very likely is not using regular electronic speed control and wiring. If the speed control blows up, it will take lots of money to replace and could also be impossible because there is no such type of steering servo.

If you do not mind about warranty anymore, take off the body and get a pic, see if any member could help.

Regards

Joaquim
Old 10-29-2006, 11:54 PM
budman21901

Thank you for your response.

I have owned high end RC's when i was much younger. It has no servo's, or speed controllers. It's basically a circuit board located center, and connections coming from it. I checked all connection's, and everything seems solid. Motor's are not bad, because we have reverse power, and steering. It get's nothing for forward. Not even a try. It's almost like it could be in the controller, and not the car. I will pull the top off, and take some pictures. Warranty in this case is pretty much useless. I thank you for you input. It is much appreciated.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:33 AM
rcxboy

Try reversing the motor connections. It might not do too good because most ESCs support less current in reverse, it'll go foward.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:34 AM
budman21901

ORIGINAL: rcxboy

Try reversing the motor connections. It might not do too good because most ESCs support less current in reverse, it'll go foward.

What are ESC's? I also notice you mention current. We charged for 8hrs for first run, and it only lasted 5minutes. charged for 8 second time, and no forward. Could this just be defective battery? Does it take more juice to go forward then reverse? I thought from the start the battery was not working right. It should last more then 5 minutes. Could a battery do this?
Old 10-30-2006, 08:17 AM
thedub88

ESC stands for eletronic speed control. It's like a faucet on your sink, controling how much electricity passes through to the motor.

I had this type of toy grade rc in the past and I remember having to charge the battery over night (12 hours). Check in the instructions for battery charge time so you don't over charge the battery. It could blow up!!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:07 PM
-EXTRA-

My friend has one of these and he charged his battery for less than 8 hours and it ran for a full 25 min. or more so i would get that battery checked
Old 10-30-2006, 01:54 PM
boltech

I got my daughter a new bright monster truck similar to the jeep to stem her curiosity from my nitros.
I took it apart in an attempt to help you solve the problem and the drive motor is hard wired directly from the logic card
which is both an esc and reciever.

Now judging from the design and what you have stated so far. it sounds like it might be an issue with your transmitter.
maybe the pot for the forward in your transmitter is shot. unfortunately I can't aid with diagnosing the TX, as my GF lost the TX for the monster truck during her last er um 'bash' with my daughter.

ORIGINAL: budman21901

I purchased my son a New Bright Rock Crawler for his birthday. Took it out one time, and it ran fine. Charged the battery for a second run, and it will not go forward. Has reverse, and steering, but forward is dead. It won't even try to move forward so it seems like a short somewhere. I have adjusted throttle control, and channels but still nothing. It's only 2days old. Toys R Us wont take it back, and to send it to new bright i will have to pay shipping, and wait over 8weeks for a new one, and they don't Guarantee the same model will be available. I pretty much out of options except to fix it somehow. I know this RC is low level compared to the awesome rig's i see on this site, but i was hoping someone could give me some direction into what the problem could be. Thanks for any help you can give me. My son and i will greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 06:13 PM
ArsenalNM

2 days old and Toys R Us won't take it back?

I would definately talk to the store manager, if he can't help, get in touch with the district rep.

Take it corporate if you have to.

https://www1.toysrus.com/guest/contUs.cfm

Old 10-31-2006, 11:16 AM
budman21901

ORIGINAL: ArsenalNM

2 days old and Toys R Us won't take it back?

I would definately talk to the store manager, if he can't help, get in touch with the district rep.

Take it corporate if you have to.

https://www1.toysrus.com/guest/contUs.cfm

Exactly how i think. The original box was ripped apart. You know how a kid is on his 10th birthday. We have the Receipt though. They said New Bright requests not to return to stores, and it clearly says that also in the instructions for the toy. Thanks for the link though. I will be sending them a letter on the return policy for there New Bright toys at the Belair MD. branch. It is partly my fault though for trashing the box. I am unhappy with New Bright though. They were kind on the phone, but 6 to 8 weeks for a return toy that possibly may not be the same toy is rediculous. Its also ridiculous i have to pay shipping of i would say over $25 to get it to them.

boltech, Thanks for trying to diagnose the problem. I really do appreciate that you did that. I now have no forward or reverse, but only steering. All i did was charge the battery according to directions, and try it a few times. Something must be overheating somewhere, and burning up, but i don't smell anything. I am going to call Toys R Us one more time, and if i get a hassle then i am going to pull it apart, and mess around with it. I will mess with the transmitter first to see i can see anything. I dought i can fix it if a circuit board is burnt though.

I will end up having to get another one. What is a good entry level RC that both my son, and i can have fun with. Are there any downsides to the nitro's? I had a tamiya Toyota GRB with all wheel drive, and a technigold 80 motor back in the day, and that sucker was bad to the bone!! I see all this great stuff out now, and i gotta get me another one. Back then Team Associated RC10 was considered top notch. Are they still considered high end? What is the best i can do with around $400? That's car, transmitter, and everything ready to run.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 AM
boltech

Not a problem.. glad to help.

If you have access to a voltmeter take a voltage reading across the leads of the motor while activating the forward and reverse on the TX. see if there is any voltage at all getting to the motor.