Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Birth of a Backyard Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:13 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Birth of a Backyard Track

And some more pics of the TWS.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89845.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	721866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28248.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	721867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45755.jpg
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	721868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46884.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	721869  
Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 AM
andrewtexas123

I have been following this thread since the begining.. This is the most work put in to a personal tracl i have seen so far. Great Job!

Andrew
Old 07-13-2007, 02:02 AM
ob1n

Ok.....so now you've seen the "beginning" of the system. I need to take some more pics....cause I've had it running several times already and it works FLAWLESS!!!!!! However, it's Half-done! In other words, I've got half the track cover with the TWS.....the other half remains to be done. Currently, I do the other half by hand.....or I set up a "hammer style" sprinkler and let it work for 10-15 minutes. As for the underground TWS that I have.....5 minutes is all it takes!!!! I love NOT having dust all the time and NOT having to spend 15 minutes wetting the same area by hand! It took me about 3-4 hours to do the what I shown you here. It's was worth it!!!! Sure it took time......but I hated the TIME I spent getting the track ready! Now, I just turn on the water, put the battery pack in the vehicles and by the time I get back......I turn the water off and run!!! It's awesome!!!!

As for the other half......I am debating to use the Inline sprinklers again or one Hammer-style Sprinkler.....Like I've been using....but only make it "permanent". I think I am going to using the single sprinkler because then I don't have to go under the sidewalk again with the hose.

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on how that goes. And, I'll get some pics of the finished TWS in action....so you can see for yourself how well it works.

Now.....I have a NEW problem(but, I've already found the solution)!!!! Because I like to wet the track.....it gives much better traction and keeps the dust down.......everytime I go into my garage to change the battery packs.....I "track"(no pun intended) in dirt from my shoes and vehicles! Now my garage is constantly dirty and dusty!!!!!! Call me picky......but, hey......I like to be presentable when people come over to my house. Anyway, I got this idea from one of YOU guys out there from some other "track forum"!!!!! Thanks!!!!

As always, I don't throw anything away.....and this time it was in the form of a heavy duty work bench that was at my former machine shop! My best friend and I went to get it last week and.....MAN......I forgot that it weighed more than 300 pounds!!!! Heavy duty pipe for legs, 2"x2"x1/4" Angle iron for the edges and 1/8" steel deck!!!!! The deck is a little rusty in some places but who cares. It's been beat on a few times so the table top isn't exactly perfect......but it will be 25 years before it rusts away to nothing.......and that won't happen cause I'll make sure it's always painted! Right now it's primer gray like it's been for the last 10 years......don't know if I'll change it or keep it that way. It kind of matches the chain link fence!!!! Anyway, we managed to manhandle it into the truck and then into my backyard against the fence. Now, I change batts, perform minor adjustments, etc. on the outdoor table.....It's so AWESOME!!!! Next, I'll be routing a compressed air line and electricity from the garage to the table!!! Then, dirt in the garage will be virtually NON existent!!!!!! I've got this handy "briefcase" that has a lot of my tools in....so it's portable to go to the outside table to the inside workbench in a heartbeat. I just need to find a suitable "outdoor" seating for the table. I'll get pics soon so you can see this beast and why it's such a beauty.

I've also been working on designs for track lighting. I been thinking about using PVC pipe as light poles througout the track and burying outdoor extension cords to each one. If I use those newer flourescent, outdoor floodlights......I should be able to plug them all on one 20 amp cicuit and be fine for the several hours they would be used. I know I can ask around and find extension cords that farmers, ranchers and businesses have had to replace cause the ends where trashed.......just buy and install new ends!!!! I plan to use the cheap $5-$7 flood lamp housings you can get at any hardware store. I just want to be sure that none of the lights are pointing in the direction of where the drivers will be standing.

Man, some people probably think I'm nuts putting all this time and little money into my backyard considering it'll be mainly me and my kids runnin on it. LOL... Although it's open to anyone who'll respect it........I just want to have some fun while I'm alive.....you know?!! I've been tellng myself that I'm gonna build a track since I was 12 years old. And I've built 5......and this is my best one yet! Of course, this is the second I've built on my property. The first 3 ......one was in an empty lot that eventually got developed.....the next one was on a piece of land FAR, FAR away(I guess I was desperate.....and my mother didn't drive me to it often)......the one after that was on my best friend's dad property(the one that helped me move the table)......that one was outside of town and had NO access to water or toilet.....but at least I was 16 then and could drive to it. The last one was PERFECT except for ONE thing......NO shade from the sun. BUT, it was at my place of business. I had parking, electricity, workbench(es), public restrooms, water, driver's stand, shelter in the event of bad weather(even for the spectators), less than a minute's drive from town(right past the fast food joints)...........just no shade from the sun around the track area. Then......when I had finished the track......and was 2 months from using it publicly.....my dad sells the property without telling me he is going to do that!!!!! WHATEVER!!!!!!!!

Now......I finally have one......and it's almost complete......and I get to run on it anytime I can/want to!!!!! But, it's still far from my ultimate goal!!!!! The "community track"!!!!! That, my friends, is another story in another forum. But, you can check out what I am talking about by going to the "Club" area of RCU and looking for XRC Racing club.

Thanks again for looking guys/gals. I'll be posting again when I get more!!!!

Ob1n of RCU

Be sure to check out my latest review!!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=871
Old 07-13-2007, 02:04 AM
ob1n

Thanks for your kind comments, Andrew Texas!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:15 AM
ob1n

Oh......and one more thing I did that was a "subject from the past"......

I had the neighbor dump his grass clippings on my track.....he's got a nice yard.....all grass, no weeds. I mixed it in with the dirt via a garden rake.....and wetted it down a couple times....then drove on it. I've noticed the moisture retension is MUCH better! I am not getting as much grass in my vehicles as I thought I would......but, I didn't overdo it either and put a ton of it on. I really think that when fall comes and I mulch a bunch of leaves and roto till it into the soil will make a big difference for next year!!!

I'll let you know how it turns out......

Ob1n of RCU
Old 07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Nick2618

well know that the truck is done and you have used it a little. How do your neighbors like it? Anyone said anything good or bad?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
ob1n

I have the lady next door(a teacher) that is totally fine with it. The neighbor lady on the other side of me doesn't even get out of her house because of her age.....but she loves watching my kids and me drive our R/Cs when she come out to the front porch in the afternoons. The neighbor right across the street(single mom with a 7-8 year old) is fine.....of course, the boy LOVES it. The other neighbor across the street(grandson lives with grandma) has already pestered me to let him drive a few times. ........So far, everyone is cool about it. The only one I'd be worried about is the neighbors across the alley.....but my garage blocks them from view and I don't run the Nitro that much anyway!

So....all in all.......GOOD has been said......Nothing bad! YAY!!!!

Ob1n of RCU
Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 PM
ob1n

Okay people....here's some updated pics......

This is the Monster Table I was telling you about.......

Pretty awesome.....I've never regretted putting this in!!! My wife is even using it now for cleaning things outside!!!!

Name:	Xv64920.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	723671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61932.jpg
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	723672  
Old 07-15-2007, 08:40 PM
ob1n

Now.....for the TWS(Track Wetting System) in ACTION!!!!!!!

Name:	Xv64541.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	723688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54326.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	723689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30350.jpg
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	723690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38441.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	723691  
Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 PM
ob1n

After 5 minutes of spraying.....here are the results.....a PERFECTLY prepped track that I didn't spend more than 30 seconds on!!!!! All I do now is turn on the valve and turn it off!!!! Very handy! You can see that the sprinkler heads are barely protruding above the surface. I've had NO issues driving over them. Stay tuned....more coming up!!!!

Name:	Nl30152.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	723697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86186.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	723698  
Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 PM
(X)

Hey ob1n,

Any more updates??

I just read through all 5 pages and I think your track is AMAZING!!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:11 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: (X)

Hey ob1n,

Any more updates??

I just read through all 5 pages and I think your track is AMAZING!!
I also agree with ya, lookin cool with the track wet system. Shure beats a track that my friend and I made with pieces of old wire, garden hose... what did you plan to race on there????
Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 PM
ob1n

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo sorry I haven't been back with updates........been busy......I know.....it's easy to use that excuse but it's true. I have other projects in the works......like the trackside compressed air......and some lighting. Will most likely get them done next month as summer winds down.......then I'll have more time.

As for vehicles.....I am running everything from 1/18th Vendetta STs, 1/10th Pedes, Rustlers, E Savage, Evaders, etc. and one 1/8th MGT. Of course, the smaller ones work better.

I assure you.....this is not the end!........hold for more!!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 PM
farmboy30

Great track ob1n!! it's amazing what you have done with the space you have... i am in the process of making a track myself... Just an oval with a table top and some small jumps to start, then who knows, i have 200 acres to play with.. a quick question though, what height did you settle with for your jumps, and at what kind of angle? I am having a similar problem as you had in the begining where im jumping almost vertical.... that is if im not gunning while in the air.. i to am trying not to brake parts every time i race on it..
Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 PM
ob1n

Most jumps are no higher than 12 to 14" high.......and the angle?.....well, I no more than 45 degrees I would guess. Thanks for the comment and glad to answer your questions. Laters.

Ob1n of RCU
Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Racefan132

OB1n i gota see some pics of the evader st! lol
Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 PM
ob1n

Racefan.....are you wanting to see some pics of my Evader ST.....is that what you are asking? Let me know....I have some....

Ob1n of RCU
Old 08-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Racefan132

ya i want to see some pics of the Evader ST i traded you....
Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 AM
lukeman

Great track, also love the tws, very clever, and i bet the overall work cost a fair few bob
Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 PM
ob1n

Dude!!!!....that's right, racefan.....I forgot!!!! DOH!!! Ok......I've changed it a little bit......but here are the picks below!

Name:	Ki19466.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	753204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94471.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	753205  
Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM
ob1n

Thanks for the comments Lukeman! So far, I've got it figured that the cost(monetary) is about $900.......and that is including the purchase of the Electric Tiller($350). As for time......I'd say about 50+ hours so far.....NOT including the bi-weekly track maintenance of de-weeding, etc.. Of course, my kids keep moving dirt around.....so that accounts for some time as well. Sometimes I leave the dirt there....but other times I "make it the way it was before". I shall have more time soon to add more.....stay tuned!

Ob1n of RCU
Old 08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
-EXTRA-

That track is awesome! you have def. put alot of work into doing that track right,great job!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:31 PM
FirestormBasher

So obin, is it hard to run the nitro on? I was thinking of building one myself. If you do not mind could I use this thread to post updates of mine?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM
ob1n

FireStormBasher!!!!...thanks for the comments!

The track has an average width of 6'.......one place at 8'......the rest 6' or less. So....for big nitros.....I have to really slow down in the corners. But, if I had 1/10th nitro.....like a pede or rustler......I am sure it would work fine. However, 3-4 or more 1/10th vehicles on this track and it feels "full". But, that makes for a very exciting and "fast" track.....even if the speeds are actually under 20mph.

As for using this thread to post your own track build.....I welcome it.....especially if it is detailed and intended to help others learn to build a backyard track. My purpose of doing this was so that people could see what it takes to make a decent track in their own backyard for vehicles of all shapes and sizes that requires little-to-minimum maintenance........all on a budget! ......Ok.......so I splurged on the electric tiller!!!! I hope I've done that......but, I feel I am not done yet.......so, you'll get to see it as I finish it.

So, sure......use my forum if it fits the purpose I had in mind.

Thanks

Ob1n of RCU
Old 08-30-2007, 11:16 PM
FirestormBasher

I'm really excited to do this. I may cheat though, power equipment. we are looking for something to run a couple 1/8 scales on, and 4-5 1/10th scales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.