Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Birth of a Backyard Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:13 PM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Birth of a Backyard Track

Next up....we started on the placement of the deadly doubles and tabletop. Once again, I use the free lumber of the pallets to manufacturer sideboards. Then I place logs and started to bury them with dirt. The sideboards were cut into stakes....then driven into the ground at different heights. This took some patience, and when they were all placed....I tied them together with a board on the inside that would be buried.....this should help hold it down.

When I went to make the table top.....I found a piece of plywood at my best friend's house....as I wanted to make the construction faster. It was much easier to place these sideboards. I just sat them on the ground and drove in 2 stakes per side. Then screwed the boards to the stakes. Once again....I placed logs/wood that was cut from the tree....and then started to bury them. This took nearly 4 hours to complete all this.....with some breaks for water, found another worm, etc.

I feel I've been lucky so far....as I've been doing this after it has rained quite a bit lately. The gound is moist and soft....easy to work with and not dusty at all. The weather has been very mild....and I am hoping it will continue.....hopefully we'll complete the track before FULL blown summer.

Stay tuned......more to come. Laters

Ob1n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64611.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	683050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71186.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	683051  
Old 05-12-2007, 05:17 PM
ob1n

Oh yeah....I almost forgot....you'll see a 2x4 in one of the pics......you must use this to drive the stakes in the ground if you are using a household hammer..........otherwise, you'll crack/split your wood stakes/boards. I wasted one of them before realizing there has to be "a better way".
Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 PM
ob1n

Ok everyone......this is the finished product of the table top and one of the "small" jumps of the deadly doubles. Looking good!!!!!

Then, I did what anyone would do......TEST IT!!!! And, boy, am I glad I did! My original plan(pic on page 1 of this post) called for a small jump/tabletop/small jump. I found that my stock pede, coming from the direction of the table top, will BARELY clear the small jump if the speed and driving is PERFECT!!!! Now, I know I will be driving my Evader and other "racers"......but, most of the time I bash with my pede cause it's so durable and fun. Plus, remember, I'll have a lot of rookies on this track.....and I've got to try to minimize breakage until they get better(mainly my kids). After all.....we want to drive and race....not fix it all the time. Therefore, I will not be putting in the 2nd small jump. Coming from the side of the small jump....my pede will land perfectly on top of the tabletop to the backside.

If you remember, I wanted to make this a bi-directional track......but couldn't because of the wood facing I put on the ramps next to the sidewalk.....and how the pede wouldn't barely clear the sidewalk. Well.....I think I might have found a way to make it semi-bi-directional! Now....I know you have to be thinking....."What the heck is wrong with this guy?!"[sm=what_smile.gif]

But, again, by "testing" it and driving around on my rough example-of-a-track.....I think I found a way to drive either direction on half of the track.....in fact, driving one way will add some excitement of near-misses between vehicles. Once I get this more detailed....I'll provide pics of what I am talking about.

This weekend....I mixed up some "farm grade" Round Up and sprayed the entire area.....it's already been 1 day.....and the green weeds and grass(what little there is) is turning brown fast. This will kill what's there now.....and as I finish the track...I plan to plant grass in the "infield" areas. If there are any........I don't know....I guess we'll see. But, I definitely want this thing landscaped and looking good when it's done.

I also found some old garden hose and some "inline" spinklers. I am going to bury the hose down the middle of the track and connect the sprinklers(kind of like a cheap, underground sprinkler system). I have found(by testing) that about 2 minutes of "wetting" down the track before driving makes a BIG difference in traction and keeping the dust levels to a minimum. But, I've had to stretch out the hose and manually water.....and that takes away precious driving time. I want to turn on the faucet and let the sprinklers do the work.....I'll take pics soon.

Next.......we start adding jumps to the other lane, levelling the straight-a-ways, and laying the 4" tubing down. Plus, I already need to add a little more dirt where it has settled from getting wet. I'll keep you posted......keep the ideas/comments/questions coming!!!!! We'll get there.....and then EVERYBODY is invited!!!!! Laters.

Ob1n

Name:	Pn37480.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	684012  
Old 05-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Dokioto

Looking great! Can't wait to see the final product.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:02 AM
rc_racer69

wow that looks awesome
i wish i was your next door neighbor cuz id be there everyday helping you and not playing with all the worms

my parents would never let me do this to my yard[]
lol
but i have a couple of jumps in my front yard
that just is freaking awesome
luuuccckkky
Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 PM
ob1n

Ok.....had a little time today......put some dirt berms in two areas that will serve 2 purposes. 1) They will be a guardrail when the cars run one direction and 2) they will be a jump when the cars run the "other" direction. I will give an illustration later when the track is done.....as I will draw another schematic of the finished track plan and compare it to the first plan. I've posted some pics so you can see....my son is "testing" it!

It is really starting to take shape..... Again, I put logs/wood on the ground and buried them with the dirt. It took 3 cart loads of dirt each to make the berms/guardrails. I'd say, probably the quickest jumps we've made yet. Only took about an hour from start to finish.....and that includes soaking it with water to help it settle. We also added some dirt to the other areas of the track that needed it.

Name:	If10562.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	685431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24399.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	685432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92882.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	685433  
Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 PM
ob1n

I've included a pick of our new "driver's stand"!!!!! A very relaxing one at that!

Apparently I did not mix the Round Up very good.....or maybe the fact it was stored in an uninsulated room over the winter affected it. As you can see in the last picks.....the grass is still green. It is turning yellow....those pics are shot 2 days after spraying.......but last year when I sprayed, most stuff was dead the next day!!!!! Soooooooooooooooooo........everybody keeps saying something about a Roto Tiller.........since the grass didn't die.......I finally "splurged"!!!! I bought the "Mantis" brand Electric Roto Tiller!!!! I couldn't see myself going home with the $900 self-propelled, 200lb monster down at the hardware store. So, I did a search on the internet and found lots of gas Tillers....but.....still......needing gas!!!!! Ask anyone that knows me and they'll tell you if the world was up to me....it'll ALL be electric!!!!! If you ask me, gas and oil are DEAD>>>>Thing of the PAST!!!!!! Anyway.....back to the subject......so I was about to buy the Mantis 2 cycle tiller(very reluctantly).....when I backed up and searched again.....only I added "Electric" to the "Compact Roto Tiller". To my surprise, the 5th result was the Mantis Electric Roto Tiller!!!!!! I did see another one that was a "Remington" brand(don't they make shavers?).....but, my partner says he's got the 2 cycle tiller and LOVES it.....so I decided to try the Electric one.

Ok.....so that's a thing of the past......hopefully I'll like it. I also got some other attachments so that my wife(when she finds out) will think it was a good idea to get one! Heck, it weighs 26lbs......maybe she'll even operate it!!!!!

Hopefully, in a week or so....it will show up and I can begin to use it.....this track will really start to look sharp at that point!!!! NO MORE GRASS!!!!!!

Name:	Yw68985.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	685440  
Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 PM
ob1n

Here is another view of the track.....and now I've got some official ACTION shots!!!!!! Here they are.....

Name:	Qo39845.jpg
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	685443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18826.jpg
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	685444  
Old 05-15-2007, 11:03 PM
ob1n

Some more action off the table top!!!!!.....

Name:	Db83660.jpg
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	685445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78040.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	685446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99779.jpg
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	685447  
Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 PM
ob1n

Last of my FIRST, official action shots!!! I know it's my ugly Pede....but, hey, trust me......the pics don't do it justice! Wish you were here......

Name:	Jh14977.jpg
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	685448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71685.jpg
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	685449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60565.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	685450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25438.jpg
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	685451  
Old 05-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Dokioto

You sure get a lot of air off that table top.. Very nice driver stand lol, Might become a problem if you have more then two drivers.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I don't see a beer holder on the drivers stand??????
Old 05-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Nick2618

Hey thoses are pretty good pics. Also i have been following this thread very colosely and leat me just say i love it. You are doing a great job. I just wish i did not live so far away form you. LOL
Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 AM
ob1n

Thanks for the comments guys.....and, yeah, the Beer/Pop holders are a thing that must be aquired!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: giddyuperic

And I don't see a beer holder on the drivers stand??????
NO NO NO NO!! Drinking and driving do not go together! LOL
Old 05-16-2007, 07:17 PM
deanR

roto tillers work GREAT! i took the roto tiller to my track that i started making. it was the thickest grass i ever seen. and it turns it in to just dirt. you just have to rake off the excess dirt and then it looks really good
Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 PM
ob1n

You are correct sir......drinking and drivin do not mix........but driving and drinking do make for interesting chaos!!!

Yeah, I had heard so much about using tillers....that I decided to put it to the test. I am really excited to be getting my new electric tiller. I hope it doesn't disappoint......but I don't think it will. I will give you guys a good review!

A thought came across my mind tonight(uh-oh[&:]) I want to light up my track for night racing!!!!!!! But, I want it to look "scale".....anybody got any ideas? I have tons of LEDs.....they are weatherproof.......but, I'd have to put a lot of them together to get the kind of lighting I need(getting older fellas.....vision isn't what it used to be). I dunno.........nothing seems to pop into my head as the "perfect, scale" lighting system that would be quick and easy. Again, LEDs would work great....but that is a lot of soldering!!!!! It has to be weatherproof.....cause I am putting an underground sprinkler system in for wetting the track. Well, technically, not a TRUE underground sprinkler system....but, a buried hose with inline sprinklers. 15 minutes of water about 5-10 minutes before race time ought to be perfect! Maybe it'd just be easier to hang floods off the house?!!!! Guess I need to think about this one for a while. Until next post.....
Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 AM
BoschPlugs

1) Awesome!!!!

2) Your neighbors don't care you're building a track? I know in my neighborhood, they have rules against such things. []
Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Nick2618

Your neighbors don't care you're building a track? I know in my neighborhood, they have rules against such things.
Thats why deed restricted communities and condo associations SUCK. They are mostly NAZIS. But i live in condons and the people here are cool. I run nitro trucks and no one has given me a hard time. They all think it is cool and say how fast it is. But i know theres a lot of places that would not like it.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:10 AM
ob1n

The phrase that comes to mind........"Only in America!!!!"
Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 AM
123michael

cool man my grass is green here tho lol.il go to nitro car track.glad to see it coming along nice ely over there in us
Old 05-20-2007, 01:19 PM
ob1n

Ok.....No...I hadn't forgot about you guys!!!!

Anyway, I got a chance to start making it look like a "real track"! I cut the strings on the coiled tubing and started laying it down. You can see from my pics the size of the nails/spikes I was using.....and they work PERFECTLY. No need to pre-drill holes......just a good whack from a common household hammer drives them throught the plastic. Then I drive them down till they have slight holding pressure on the tubing. On the straights....I would get the nail started into the tubing....then 'stretch" it by pulling opposite of the anchored end....then drive the nail into the ground. This will give you perfectly straight tubing. On the corners, however, do not try to stretch it......or it'll give you a connect-the-dot type of corner....with a bunch of straight lines. I found out that 20 nails is NOT even enough! I used them up in a hurry. I went to the store the next day and bought 40 more.....when it was all done......I had 7 left. I'll use them eventually.

If you know what you layout plan is......and have everything available(supplies.....and I didn't....had to wait till next day to get more nails).......then a person can lay down pipe in a hurry! I bet it took me a total of 45 minutes to put down 200 feet of pipe. Oh, and I used a simple hacksaw to cut in with. I was about to whip out my trusty sawsall.....but, seriously.....no need......you cut through it in less than 5 seconds and it's safer, too.....especially with kids around.

Also.....I have planted a Maple tree in my yard....something I've wanted to do for a long time anyway. It's supposed to be 50' tall by 50' wide when mature. I've seen pics of them big.....and I like the fact that the main trunk isn't 3-4' in diameter.........so it won't block the view of the R/C when driving around it!

Well......I'll post again soon......enjoy.......

Name:	Ki20506.jpg
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	687968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41270.jpg
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	687969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85879.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	687970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73417.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	687971  
Old 05-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Gex_61

wow, that looks really nice. I also do mine the way you described. That pipe is easy to work with, moving the dirt jumps is the time consuming part.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:38 PM
ob1n

Sorry it's been so long.....but, hey....been busy! Well, I finally finished the guardrail system with all 200' of 4" corrugated tubing. Honestly, if I had more.....I could do some "fine" detailing....but, I like it for now.....until I get used to it!

Again, laying down the tubing is actually the fastest part of making a track....and probably the most rewarding....as you, finally, get to see it taking shape. I am more than happy with my setup.....even though it hardly resembles the original "plan" I drew up on paper.

Next step, is to add some more jumps, bumps, and other annoying items to mix it up with.

Name:	Ec88840.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	693160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16667.jpg
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	693161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73669.jpg
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	693162  
Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 PM
ob1n

Now that I've got the guardrail finished....it was time to test it! I was very pleased with it....but I noticed that, other than tabletop/jump and sidewalk jumps, it was pretty bland!

So, I proceeded to add more jumps, bumps and berms on the track in various locations. I even added a "pit" as I call it. An enlongated hole that sits next to one of the larger jumps. It's worked out rather well. I spent another 3-4 hours adding these extras. Since I had the guardrail in place....I could only enter/exit the track where there was an opening.....so don't forget to leave an opening large enough for your cart to fit through......plus, it allows you to enter/exit your vehicle as well. In a way, I am glad I ran out of corrugated tubing.....cause I would have, unknowingly, placed it aroung the entire track.

Once again, after making those extras.....I tested it. I found that I had gotten a little carried away with the height and angle of the ramps on the jumps/mounds. I found myself not being able to go very "fast" around the track as I was always flying near verticle! Using the rake, I shaved off the tops of the hills and jumps. This was much better......I was able to get around the track much faster, but they still made me drive with precision. I don't want the track to be easy.....but, I don't want it to seem like it takes forever to make a lap......besides, constant high-flying is hard on parts.

Name:	Pn37282.jpg
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	693165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88498.jpg
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	693166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81661.jpg
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	693167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44306.jpg
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	693168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53299.jpg
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	693169  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.