Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

"Knockoff" or HPI

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 PM
nikg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Knockoff" or HPI

Just read the thread on the chinese "knockoff" vehicles. I'm thinking of buying my first real r/c and want an electric monster truck. Thinking about getting a used HPI e-savage, but the chinese knockoffs look pretty good. For about $125 I can get a Mad Truck. That's half the price of a used e-savage. I'm going to do some jumping and playing etc. Not racing it or heavy bashing.
Any opinions on what to get? Mad Truck vs. Bonzer vs. Cross Tiger? Couldn't find the cross tiger on eBay.
I want something durable and fun.
Anybody jumped their chinese vehicles? can't find many videos with jumping action.
Thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:40 PM
ssj2

Default RE: "Knockoff" or HPI

HPI E-Savage by far because parts availability will be found more easily throughout anywhere you go. If you break something with the knockoffs, you'll have a very slim chance of getting replacement parts. Go with the E-Savage and have just a bit of "insurance" if you will.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:56 PM
nikg

Cross tiger and Bonzer appear to be the same thing
Are these as fast or faster than e-savage/e-maxx? They look damn fast in the videos and the claim is 60 km per hour. That's 36mph which is faster than the two brand name vehicles
Will tires from other brands fit these trucks?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:25 PM
DaveG55

If you get any of the knock-off's over the Savage you'll end up regretting it. In six months you'll either be turned off of rc all togeather or have went and bought a Savage.
I've seen the same situation too many time to believe you will be any different.

But if you want to believe the inflated sales hype, go for it. There will still be people here to tell you how to fix that oriental junk - that is if you can find parts to fix what will break.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Checkpointracer

Forget the knockoffs and get a savage or something good. Sometimes I wonder if those knockoffs are even hobby grade.

Oh and the reason you can't find many videos on the chineice trucks is because most people stay away from them and don't even bother with them. That it self should be enough to convince you to stay away from them.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 PM
nikg

Yeah, I kinda figured as much. Getting a used e-savage with extra batteries, a charger and extra parts seems worth it. The cost of the battery packs alone are almost $100. Plus some people said the knockoffs need upgraded electronics. How much does that run? $50? $100? By the time you start adding things up it makes more sense to go with a used name brand model
Thanks.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Nitro212

lol if you buy the "knockoff" cuz is "cheaper" in the end ypu will spend twice more money than if u had bought the savage....
Old 06-30-2007, 09:17 PM
hevyhitter

ORIGINAL: Nitro212

lol if you buy the "knockoff" cuz is "cheaper" in the end ypu will spend twice more money than if u had bought the savage....

lol yeah, have fun finding parts for the ''mad truck'' i bet you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning
Old 07-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Alexxx

Now people , dont forget that HPI is a 'Oriental' Brand as well. Im not saying that they are bad quality like the knock offs, i was just trying to remind ppl that HPI is japanese.
The knock offs look just like cheap toys. I think its because of the way their bodyshells look.For example, on their touring car, one of the decals says 'expert edition'.
Dodgy slogans like that make me feel surrounded by cheapness. Everything on this site www.********.co.uk are all cheap knock offs. And then they say 'Why pay more for other makes when ours are simply better and cheaper!' and 'Don't Be fooled by cheap imitators.' I would always choose an HPI brand over knock offs because they are just simply better. Its a shame that begginers might fall into the trap of this website, and just end up being put off rc for ever when their 'Acme Tech' nitro car ceases to work. Also the site fails to realise that they are the ones selling cheap imitators
Old 07-01-2007, 05:29 AM
naynay12

Well i wanted to buy a fast buggy for around the track, and to bash well... It coyld not hold a tune...the chassis bend as easy as **** and once i went off a jump about 2 foot high and... snapped an a -arm,bend the upper and lower chassis,popped a shock and the other ove was leaking from does the bottom.(partly my fauly,but it wasnt a really nasty landing,expecially seeing that i didnt go very high
I broke many other parts , fabricted many at home,and there was one and Only one shop in another state that sold parts.It almost got me out of this hobby,until i found out that they normally do break(i has a smartech 1/10 scale buggy) since its a knockoff.

Seriously save yourslef some money and fun and buy something like an e savge.
I bough a savage x ss,its way better already and only run 1 litre through it!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol. ACME cars. The brand that Wile-e-Coyote uses to chase the road runner and always ends up getting splatted. lol
Old 07-02-2007, 04:07 PM
TenergyRep

ORIGINAL: Alexxx

Now people , dont forget that HPI is a 'Oriental' Brand as well. Im not saying that they are bad quality like the knock offs, i was just trying to remind ppl that HPI is japanese.
The knock offs look just like cheap toys. I think its because of the way their bodyshells look.For example, on their touring car, one of the decals says 'expert edition'.
Dodgy slogans like that make me feel surrounded by cheapness. Everything on this site www.********.co.uk are all cheap knock offs. And then they say 'Why pay more for other makes when ours are simply better and cheaper!' and 'Don't Be fooled by cheap imitators.' I would always choose an HPI brand over knock offs because they are just simply better. Its a shame that begginers might fall into the trap of this website, and just end up being put off rc for ever when their 'Acme Tech' nitro car ceases to work. Also the site fails to realise that they are the ones selling cheap imitators
HPI is located in California.

First entry on the History page at HPIRacing.com

1986 - Hobby Products International is started in Costa Mesa, California by Tatsuro Watanabe and a partner. Investment: $100 each. Square footage of office: 300 square feet (28 square meters).

Currently located:

HPI Racing
70 Icon St
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Alexxx

Tatsuro Wantabe and said partner are both japanese. Just because it is based in america doesn't mean it is not japanesely owned
Old 07-11-2007, 08:56 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Alexxx

Tatsuro Wantabe and said partner are both japanese. Just because it is based in america doesn't mean it is not japanesely owned
Do you realize how lame that makes you look?

First, you have no idea if Mr. Wantabe is Japanese or not. He may well be decended from the Japanese people but could easily be a naturalized citizen or a second, third, etc generation American citizen. Which would make it an "American" company.

Second, "japanesely" ??????????????? If you're going to try to defend yourself and your argument you should at least use real words and not some made-up jibberish a three-year-old would use.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 AM
SpeedAddict

HPI, definitely. The Japanese knock-offs can be made to be fairly good vehicles, but only after modification and upgrades. And yes, it is a pain to get parts. I had to wait 7 months for a servo saver. THe warehouse said it was backordered, but then my dad called them and one "magically appeared". 7 months of not running for a 2 minute fix. [:@][:@]

By the way, here's what is on my Smartech Winner 3 (had to do all this to make it o.k.)
O.S. .18 CV-R, two new servos, modded brake setup, and some other stuff, not to mention the replacement parts needed. Get an HPI, every hobbyshop will have parts for it. [8D]
Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Phelansa

There is no doubt that something like the E-Savage even second hand would be a better car than most of the "knock-off's". That said, threre are a lot of opinions here based on hear-say, and only one I can see based on actual experiance (SpeedAdict's post).

Speak to some of the people who own these "knock-offs". Say what you will.. they are a cheap way to get into the hobby. IF you by a car that you can support where you live.

But make no mistake, you WILL want a better car as soon as you hit the "Knockoffs" limmits. Which by defenition are not very high.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Suprachrgd82

The following link will give you all of the information you need regarding the quality of the "knockoffs"

http://www.inspire21.com/site/ecards/bitterness.html
Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 PM
agentM192

E-savage definitely . Never buy a knock-off they're always pure crap.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM
nikg

Now let's add some fuel to the fire. I have heard many arguments stating that Traxxas E-Maxx trucks break a lot. Some people even claim that they break just about every time they use them. Others do claim good reliability and toughness with E-Maxx, but my main reason for choosing the E-Savage is toughness and speed. I have come across very few reports that the e-savs break easily and qutie a few that claim they are tough as nails.
So here's the fuel---what separates E-Maxx from the knockoffs? Seriously. They are an older design. Their reliability and toughness seem to vary greatly---some people say they never break yet others say they are always in the shop. Poor quality control? People who own reliable machines have spent hundreds of dollars upgrading everything to aluminum etc. Would you not get the same results if hop up parts were available for the knockoffs?
I can hear the Traxxas faithfuls now---"Them's fightin' words!"
Old 07-11-2007, 08:24 PM
DaveG55

The difference is pretty simple.
You can get parts to repair the name brands. Getting parts for the chinese toys is much more difficult.
If you have an RC and you're not breaking a part now and then, you're not driving it very much.

By the way, trying to start a flame war is a pretty poor way to get good information.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
nikg

Not really trying to start a war, just seeing how people defend the E-Maxx and try to get some perspective on it. I was merely suggesting that the knockoffs, if parts were available, might be similar to the E-maxx. That's all. Plus as DaveG55 says, the difference is parts availability. Let's hope Traxxas and others keep the technology and progress coming instead of resting on designs, because if the knockoffs get smart and start offering parts support, then they will become the next Traxxas, Losi or HPI. Maybe a bad thing, maybe not depending on how you look at it.

Usually people get plenty fired up and come to the defense of their trucks on their own. I meant the "fuel" and "fightin words" as light-hearted comments not as a shot across anybody's bow.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

While it is true.....from what I've seen and heard personally........that EMaxxes are not as durable as the ESavage.....I would still consider it hobby grade for SURE!!!!!

I mean....come on......from the Factory your FIRST hint is the NOVAK 14.4v speed control and twin motors!!!! Knock offs have that? NOT!

Next, as far as their claim that they go 60Kmh?........well......I'm telling ya......it ain't happenin! No.....it just isn't!!!!! The EMaxx, though "breakable" in stock trim......will run, walk, crawl circles around the knock offs! And what about that 2speed tranny? Knock offs have that? NOT! If you were to put the EMaxx power train into the Knock offs......I doubt very much the power train would handle it for 2 minutes!!!! And are their any aftermarket support when you start spending money for the newer, faster electronics for the knock offs? No need to comment....we already know the answer...

I am NOT an E Maxx fan..........but I will NOT support the Knock offs before THAT!!!! I once considered an E Maxx......but didn't get it cause I decided that I didn't want to upgrade it immediately just to handle the power and abuse I would give it.

IMO.......the knock offs are just under the reputation of a Duratrax brand vehicle.......(oh crap.....here comes the WAR!!!). I've owned a few of those.......and I can never make them last with factory servos, ESCs, etc......and I'm always buying parts that are "Stress-Tech" guaranteed!!! Ever see that picture of the A-Arm being stressed nearly 90 degrees with a couple of pliers??!!! I've tried that!!!!!!! With soft-jawed, spark plug pliers.......I didn't even get a bit of flex before the A Arm snapped/shattered in 4 places!!!! What makes Duratrax a little better than the Knock offs is the parts availability and aftermarket support. Now, I can actually make my Evader ST a reliable backyard smasher!!!!

Ob1n of RCU
Old 07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
nikg

Thanks for the intelligent and thorough reply. All of what was said makes sense to me, and I thinkk you hit the nail on the head. Maybe people buy E-Maxx's and bash them more heavily than the knockoff buyers. Maybe they expect more from hobby grade trucks. Or maybe the knockoff buyers treat theirs a little more gently knowing that if it breaks they're kinda out of luck.

Whatever the case, I still think I will buy an e-savage over either the e-maxx or the knockoffs.
You can usually tell the value of something by watching eBay for a while. Knockoffs go for $100-$150. E-maxx's go for $175-$250. E-savages go for $230-$300. I'm talking about standard RTR examples with no or few modifications. Of course heavily modded e-maxx's go for more.