Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tower orders as gift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
muscleflex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tower orders as gift?

i noticed that you can assign your orders as gift when ordering from tower. i was wondering, if i did this - would that make it exempted from VAT and customs here in the UK?if so, i'd like to buy myself a new truck as a gift :-P
Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
redraze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower orders as gift?

Hmmm... really, you can select gift.... I live in canada and when you order anything from the US they like to stick it to you when it hits the duty station. I do know that when someone sends you something from the US and they specify gift on the box that no duty charges or tax can be applied and they don't open the box to see what's in it (I bet they really pisses them off ) damn goverment.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
muscleflex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah - it gave me the option of a gift and asked me to specify the address of the person who i'm giving it to. i might try it next time and see if i get charged or not. i'll start with something small and work myself to a monster truck :-P
Old 01-07-2008, 06:19 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably just dont put the price on the packing list.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Marshl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would that make it exempted from VAT and customs here in the UK?
No.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ument#P59_5036
From the site above:

2.4 Gifts
Goods sent as a gift are not free of import duties and import VAT. However, customs duty will not be collected if the amount is less than £7, and import VAT is not chargeable if:

the value of the gift does not exceed £36
the customs declaration is completed correctly
the gift has been sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
the gift is for the use of either yourself or your family
there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
the gift is of an occasional nature only eg for a birthday or anniversary.
Please note the purchase of goods from outside the EU to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not addressed to that person, is treated as a ‘commercial consignment’ for which the import VAT relief threshold is £18 (paragraph 2.3 refers).