Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Deployed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM
armymedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deployed

Hi all, Im getting deployed to Iraq in March, what do I need to do to the RC cars while Im gone that long? Just after run oil? Or something more?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Deployed

After run oil in nitro engines, electronics should all be unplugged. Store everything in a dry cool place.

Some WD-40 on metal joints won't hurt, to prevent rust and corrosion.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:45 PM
calvino

remove batteries from transmitters.... so when your gone they don't leak, corode... bad things like that, maybe put the car under a blanket.... just to keep the dust off, alot of people remove the air filter/pipe and stick the "fingers" from a glove over the openings after drenching the motor in after run oil, hold the fingers of the glove on with a small rubber band. Drain your fuel tank so when your gone the fuel doesn't "dry out" and form alot of gunky residue (bad).
Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM
SIRCC

don't forget to take the tires off, removing the motor and putting it in a zip-lock won't hurt, remove receiver batterries as well. store in a box on a shelf away form heat. thank you for your service and
sacrifice, stay safe, god bless.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Druss

I'd also suggest unloading the shocks so that the springs don't stay compressed.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:03 PM
SAVAGEJIM

For your deployment, lets say it will be 18 months (I hope it will be much shorter for you since you are going overseas), what everyone above is saying are all good things to do.

What I personally would do is this: (You dont have to go to this extreme, I just personally like to take extra steps that would save me time for when I come back). I would dismount the engine and totally disassemble the engine to the basic components. I would then put them in some long lasting oil (oil that whould be thicker than the CLP you use on you weapons). Yes, they engine does not like that when it is running, but I do this for the sake of protecting the parts in long term. Then when I return, I whould thoroughly clean off the thicker oil, some which might have caked on, but since the engine is already apary, all you have to do is clean each part in depth and remove all that oil. Then, once fully cleaned, I would lube all the parts with after run oil and reassemble.

The only part that I would not put that heavy oil is the carb. Afterrun oil, yes, on the parts that can bear it. But of course, I would detail the carb as much as possible when I come back, making every step to clean off any caked on afterrun that has festered onto the carb for the long time.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Jerry Ledford
My Feedback: (15)

Why don't you take a truck or 2 with you. I have buddies in Cosovo that I send parts to. They have electric trucks that the race each other with to break the strain.
Jerry
Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 bring it with you
Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 PM
K4neX

Bring it with you, mount a cam or video cam and take some nice photos / videos. Have a drag with the hummer, jump over a tank. Lots of possibilities.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:46 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Jerry Ledford

Why don't you take a truck or 2 with you. I have buddies in Cosovo that I send parts to. They have electric trucks that the race each other with to break the strain.
Jerry
This is a great idea! In Iraq, there are dozens of soldiers busting out TMaxs, Revos, Savages, LSTs, and all sorts of buggies and truggies during their down time. Even though your RS4 is an on-roader, I'm suer you can find more than enough tarmac to run on.

You will not regret having an RC to help pass the time; entertainment could possibly even help the time go by a bit more quickly, next thing you know, you will be having you orders to come back home!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 AM
lee172

agreed, take it with you if possible dude [8D]
Old 01-31-2009, 03:27 AM
DanBP

It depends on the command, I have friends on Kuwait and Quatar and they play with their buggies all the time, but again that's the rear with the gear. Depending on your MOS you'll be doing a lot of ops or just sitting there bored out of your mind, what better thing to do than just turning on your car for a minute or two in your area and put it back away, or even better, just working on it can make you pass the time! The only thing that really blows is when you have to order parts.